Have You Played… Misadventures Of P.B. Winterbottom?

Pie in the sky

Have you played P.B. Winterbottom? It’s a time-bending puzzle platformer wherein you play a chubby pie thief desperate to indulge his love for pastry via the tempting pies strewn around each level.

In order to do so you spend your time recording versions of Winterbottom which you can then manipulate in order to reach said pies. Jumping atop their hats to reach high ledges is one of the simplest ways of doing so but there’s a whole bunch of more inventive puzzle-solving involving punting your clones about with your umbrella, strategically deleting them, carrying out actions on a different level so they can be looped elsewhere after you activate a lift switch…

I've made myself hungry :(

And that’s to say nothing of the art style – it’s presented in the manner of a silent black and white movie with jaunty piano music playing over the top.

Tonally excellent and with fantastically crafted puzzles is how I would describe P.B. Winterbottom. I think I’m going to huddle up with it again over Christmas.

1. Anthile says:

No one else? I have played Winterbottom, many moons ago. It’s a decent enough puzzle platformer, not unlike Braid in the way it plays although never as brilliant in design.
    With the flood of indie platformers we have seen in recent years, it’s difficult to recommend it, though. There simply are many games in this genre that are more interesting.

• wisnoskij says:

I agree, it is a fine game in the Braid style, but orders of magnitude less interesting.

• Juan Carlo says:

Winterbottom is shit, but it’s a great opportunity to talk about how great Braid is.

2. B.rake says:

Quite decent, I think. One of the better puzzle platformers of The Deleuge, at least.

Cautiously optimistic the same developer is doing the King’s Quest reboot- an adventure game with logical puzzles?

3. dahools says:

Think I have this buried in my hidden games part of my steam library collecting digital dust. Was bundled with something I bought many moons ago.

4. iRaphi says:

i love the game, it’s sometimes challenging enough and most times just fun

5. Heliocentric says:

It recently rose to priority on my shuffle list again and I gave it an hour, it feels flawed. It’s not got the grace of Braid, the mind bending of the Bridge or Antichamber.

Heck, it ends up feeling like an overstyled platformer with rubbish jumping.

But, then a puzzle surprises me and all is forgiven.

6. deadpan says:

I got this in a random Steam sale ages ago for a few cents and it’s way more fun than it should be. Braid created this whole sub genre of finicky puzzle platformers with charming art, but this one was solid. Good to play in short bursts.

7. TwwIX says:

It’s worth it just for the wonderfully atmospheric soundtrack alone. I just love the over all archaic & vaudevillian aesthetics of the game.

8. MattM says:

I played it, loved it, beat it, and then went to the grocery store at 2AM so I could make a blueberry pie.

9. bill says:

As others have said, it’s not bad, but not a patch on braid.
    The art style is nice, but it’s not as charming, not as interesting, not as polished and not as clever.

I got about 1/2 way through before i got to one of those annoying puzzles where i knew exactly what i had to do but i couldn’t pull off the timing. Got frustrated and gave up.

Worth a try if you have it in your library already, but don’t expect too much.

10. Shadowcat says:

I thought it looked neat, bought it, found something obnoxious in its EULA during the installation process, and cancelled it. I kinda meant to insist on a refund at the time, but I suspect that boat has long since sailed (along with my memory of specifically what it was that I objected to).