PC Games Of 2015: Those Wot Could Conceivably Be Good

What could be the best PC games of 2015? We’ve scoured the internet in search of every game that could conceivably good and listed them all below, for 2015 and and beyond. Warning: there’s a lot of them. Who said PC gaming was dead?

2014 has been eaten, leaving only the aftertaste of zombie flesh, Uruk head dresses and fantasy hexes to remind you of its charms. But quick, clear away the crumbs from your shirt, wipe the residue from your lips, for there’s a first-footer at the door. It’s 2015! It’s here already and it’s bringing games. Approximately 418 455 660 of which are listed below.

This article was updated as of July 25th. Patch notes for the article. Yes, this article has patch notes.

Article by Ben Barrett.

Unsure when some favored horizon-dweller is due to arrive? We’ve gathered the latest release date information for every game, rounding up to the nearest month or quarter where necessary. In need of reminding of why the PC is the most vibrant, verdant games machine? We’ve cast our net wide but excluded thousands to pick only those games that seem worthy. Uncertain what treasures await you in some favored genre in the years ahead? The list is split into pages by genre. These genres, the links for which should take you where you mean to go:

Best Action games
Best Adventure games
Best Driving and Racing games
Best Exploration games
Best Fighting games
Best MMOs
Best Platformers
Best Puzzle games
Best Roguelikes
Best RPGs
Best Shooters
Best Simulation games
Best Strategy games
Best Survival games

Early Access, alpha or otherwise incomplete games are included if they’ll launch in either their unfinished or finished states for the first time in 2015.

We’ve probably missed loads, though. What games are you looking forward to? Tell us and we’ll update the list throughout the year.

From this site

1. Werthead says:

It might be optimistic to expect HOMEWORLD: SHIPBREAKERS in 2015 (although it’s been in development for so long you’d at least expect it to be possible), but the recast HOMEWORLD 1 and 2 should be out in the next few months at least.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Add these to my personal top 10 most anticipated games if they get out next year – either Shipbreakers or the HD remakes. Such amazing games, so much more deserving of a reboot then some of the tripe we’ve seen in the past couple of years.

• funkstar says:

Does Shipbreakers have any spacey stuff in it? I’ve only seen that desert video. That and the fact that the Homeworld was just slapped on it when Gearbox acquired the IP make me less excited (although I know it has a bunch of ex-relic staff working on it)

• Werthead says:

The logo wasn’t just slapped on it, they’re significantly re-tooling the game to accomodate the change. Gearbox announced that they changed the game from a FTP multiplayer-only thing to a ‘proper retail release’, which everyone has assumed to mean a single-player campaign will be added (not confirmed though). Given the game, when it was still HARDWARE, was effectively at beta status in 2013, they’re hopefully doing something hefty to it to justify the two-year (at least) delay.

As for space stuff, probably not as the game is a prequel to the original HOMEWORLD, and it doesn’t sound like they did much in space then apart from satellites. I think the most likely scenario is that if the re-release and SHIPBREAKERS do really well, we’ll see Blackbird do a proper HOMEWORLD 3 in space.

But we definitely need more info. Sounds like a job for the RPS investigators :)

2. Tim James says:

Kind of silly to put Aztez in the strategy category. It’s a brawler first, with TBS as the interlude to the fighting, as opposed to platforming like you get in most 2D brawlers. Also, my world has been turned upside down to hear that Streets of Rage was more well-known than River City Ransom back in the day. Other than that, everything appears to be in order. Thanks for putting together the list.

• wilynumber13 says:

SEGA was generally more popular in the UK than Nintendo stuff, that probably explains their greater familiarity there. I’m also not sure if RCR even came out in Europe.

3. Freud says:

So many survival games. Hope at least one or two are very bleak and very hard.

4. seagaia says:

Hey it’s missing my platformer adventure game, Even the Ocean! link to rockpapershotgun.com There are updated photos and an information video on the website – link to eventheocean.com

5. Palindrome says:

The release date for the Mandate has been pushed back until Q1 2016 with backer beta access in Q3/4 2015.

6. Eleriel says:

I read through your lists… that’s a LOT of games to look forward to!
    you forgot one very special one though: CUPHEAD!
    link to cupheadgame.com

7. wilynumber13 says:

Sealark, seemingly a life/fishing simulation game, is expected to finally release this year according to its most recent update. link to kickstarter.com

And in the fighting genre, Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm is due out this year, and has a beta release already (though it may only be open to their indiegogo backers, I’m not sure.) You also skipped the next version of Dead or Alive V, but given that this is about games that could conceivably be good that may have been intentional.

8. Uglycat says:

No Planet Cubed? :(

9. Rad says:

CYYYYYBERRRRRRPUNNNNNK!!

Damn. I played the PnP (starting with 2013 and then 2020). I NEEEEEED 2077 so bad.

10. thedosbox says:

No Cyberpunk bartending game VA-11-HALL-A? RPS have even written about it! link to rockpapershotgun.com

That aside, I did laugh @ the trolling of FIFA fans.

11. FireStorm1010 says:

One of my most aniticipated 2015 game sis StarDrive2 , i tought it would make the list

Cool list overall , noticed a few games i will look out for. I really like the idea of “That which sleeps “

12. Jason Moyer says:

If Routine and Enemy Starfighter come out this year, at least in Early Access, I would be so incredibly happy. Heck, I’d be happy just getting some sort of dev updates.

13. Dicktatorship says:

Obviously my 3D procedurally generated MMORPG made in GameMaker will be GOTY.

14. twaitsfan says:

Amazing post guys. One thing, the Heat-Signature official site link points to RPS with Head Signature tag.

15. Frank says:

I like that there are so many exploration and survival games.

16. neoncat says:

Heh, I beat this drum too much, but y’all missed the next Card Hunter expansion, which admittedly has only been teased as “EttSC” with no release date yet.

17. shoptroll says:

The “screenshot” for Football Manager 2016 made me laugh out loud :D

Also, there’s a couple of notable omissions in the Adventure category:

Technobabylon – Wadjet Eye is publishing Technocrat’s remake/expansion of their freeware trilogy which should be out in March or April I believe. More info in the AGS forum thread for it: link to adventuregamestudio.co.uk

Shardlight – Wadjet Eye’s next game by Francisco Gonzalez (formerly Grundislav Games) and Ben Chandler which is a continuation of the work they did in The Reaper/The Rebirth (which was previously covered here). No release window yet, but should be this year. More info here: link to adventuregamestudio.co.uk

Automaticity – Wadjet Eye is publishing this, but it’s developed by an external team. They haven’t really made a lot of noise about it yet since it’s probably a 2016 release but we should start hearing more about it later this year. More info here: link to automaticity.tumblr.com

Samarost 3 – I think this is expected to release this year although Amanita Design hasn’t said anything about it since the teaser trailer they released near the end of 2013.

Ballads of Reemus 2 – There was a sizable delay on this due to an engine switch but it sounds like Zeebarf has this back on the rails and hopefully should be out in 2015.

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption – The Coles have locked in an October 2015 release date, hopefully this one makes it.

SpaceVenture – The Two Guys from Andromeda haven’t provided a release date yet, but I can’t imagine this going past 2015.

18. Asurmen says:

I think I’m only interested in one or two games this year. Still, I have back log and MP games to keep me occupied.

19. 0positivo says:

“RIOT educates about the reality of recent problems in places like Egypt, Italy..”

Wait, what? Italy? Is that really how we come across? Because as an Italian, I can tell we don’t really feel yhat much increased tension.. sure, there’s the occasional demonstration gone bad, but that has been happening for literally ever over here.. if you want to find real riots, you have to go back to 30 years ago

In fact, we look abroad, at the chaos brewing in the US and their very messy racism issue, and think how lucky we are in comparison..

I really do wonder where that came from…

20. TheReverentJumpman says:

I’m missing Interstellar Rift in the simulation game catagory. Plenty of space sims here but this one i’m looking forward to the most. you can walkaround the ship when people are flying it. It’s in open alpha but what they have looks really good. Interstellarrift.com

21. zer0sum says:

Fellas, you missed StarDrive 2 in strategy games. It’s my heart and soul and we’ve got a big community looking forward to it. Check it out!
    link to stardrivegame.com

22. sharkh20 says:

Looking forward to Killing Floor 2 and Evolve the most. Act 4 of Path of Exile if that counts too.

23. fco says:

THE SWINDLE

24. communisthamster says:

I’ve been missing articles like these since Adrien Werner or whatever his name was stopped writing his Reasons Why It’s Worth It To Be a PC Gamer in 20xx articles

25. liquidsoap89 says:

Maybe RPS can help me out here. I remember seeing a trailer for an indie game months ago. It had heavily pixelated graphics and the one scene I particularly remember was really red, with a big funky looking spaceship of sorts in it. Apparently the devs have made a game previously and I don’t think it was super well received. I’m pretty sure it was an adventure game. The visuals were the most striking thing for me. It was a very bleak city setting, lots of black and industrial looking shots.

Does anybody know what I’m going on about, or do I just sound crazy?

26. cora0 says:

no Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty? seriously?

Final Fantasy XIII trilogy sucks. overhyped mediocre game. pass all 3 and wait for XV

Lost Arc, and Lineage Eternal which strangely is not on the list when it should(started development before Lost Arc and its same genre but with less flashy animations, and follows the story of Lineage 1) both utterly destroy Diablo 3 with ease, and will be released simultaneously global around late 2016-early 2017. cbt will start first half of this year(for both) on Korea

27. iRaphi says:

i have hope for beyond good & evil 2
    (i know i’m a hopeless optimist)

28. iRaphi says:

no mirror’s edge 2?

29. Martok42 says:

What was that crack about Myst? Eh? Hm? Eh?

30. Wolfcoyote_J says:

I’m sorry, but I had to register for RPS to just say this:

You have “Dog Park”. You have “Party Animals”. But YOU DON’T have the simulation game that promises to clean up the mess that Maxis/EA made with Sim City 2013?

Why in the name of Heaven isn’t Colossal Order/Paradox’s Cities: Skylines on the list? Surely there are RPS readers who want to wash away the taste of SC ’13 by playing what appears to be a city management simulation that’s better in every respect. Larger maps, non-renewable resources, negotiations with other cities off-map, a smooth interface, noise/air/water pollution factors…do I have to continue?

31. Blad the impaler says:

I’m waaaay late, but I might suggest adding Cosmic Star Heroine to your RPG list. If only for Ze and Boyd’s sake.

32. Hex says:

I’m also way late, and: The Banner Saga 2…?

33. dahauns says:

*looks at backlog*
    *starts to weep*

34. joe_eyemobi says:

Fantastic article – keep up the great work!

35. dreadofmondays says:

Hey RPS! You forgot us! ;) wordpress.slipstreamgx.com
    We’ve seen so many different outlets lament the lack of futuristic and wipeout-style racing games. We’ll, we’re one! We’ve existed for three years already so check us out, we might be exactly what you’re looking for!

Thank u!

36. cannonballsimp says:

Surprised not to see Homeworld: Shipbreakers link to blackbirdinteractive.com in the strategy list