Speedrun-O-Charity-A-Rama: Awesome Games Done Quick

Hello, friends.

And they’re off! Thwapping their glitchsteeds with millisecond-perfect timing, the speedrunners are away. Charity livestream-o-speedrun-a-rama Awesome Games Done Quick has returned once again, kicking off yesterday and running until Saturday. They’ll be zipping through games all day and all night, including PC games from Shovel Knight to an Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind run aiming to complete all main quests in 45 minutes. I don’t know where else you’ll find someone raising money for a cancer charity by playing William Shatner’s TekWar.

If you refer to the schedule, you’ll see that PC games are mostly together in big blocks. You can watch other games too, though. That’s fine. I won’t mind. Speedrunning is fascinating, showing so much skill and practice and knowledge. It’s a separate game within a game.

All the pageantry is to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation, an American charity dedicated to the detection and prevention of cancer. Well, and because people like speedrunning.

Awesome Games Done Quick are running this week’s Humble Bundle too, helping the same cause. It’s packing games including Shantae: Risky’s Revenge, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior (the original), Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee, and Volgarr the Viking. It’s a curious collection, with some games that are being speedrun at AGDQ and some that, well, are just games. Still, can’t grumble!

1. LionsPhil says:

Thwapping their glitchsteeds with milisecond-perfect timing

Goodness.

2. padger says:

The protagonist of Tekwar is named Jake Cardigan.

• Turkey says:

Most people think the “Tek” in Tekwars stands for technology, but it also stands for Aztec. Jake is actually the ghost of an ancient jaguar warrior who’s been brought into the future and made flesh by a Quetzalcoatlian techno-cult.

phuzz says:

BUT HE’S NOT WEARING A CARDIGAN!!!!!111!!!ONE!!

• LionsPhil says:

I will file this info-nugget in my fact nodules.

3. Spacewalk says:

I’m pretty sure that Tekwar is a cause of cancer so it’s a bit awkward to be using it to raise money for a cure.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I think it’s quite logical actually. Cancer is bad, charity is good and what ties them together is TekWar, which is so bad that it’s good (at least the TV series).

• bonuswavepilot says:

Well, the kids have to learn about TekWar sooner or later.

[Edit] Dammit! Didn’t see Davisch had ninja’d me until it was too late…

4. hantheman says:

I’m not gonna lie, but love this stuff. Not because I find speed runs particularly cool ideas. But I love the passion for gaming they exhibit

5. Jockie says:

While watching this is the only point of my life where I can say “I don’t spend enough time playing games.” I kind of don’t understand how they have enough time to do anything else.

• melnificent says:

Twitch subs are one way. I know a few speedrunners that broadcast for hours per day, every day. That attracts attention and money, but does tie their cash generation to a single game or series of games.

6. DavishBliff says:

The kids have to learn about TekWar sooner or later.

7. melnificent says:

TEKWAR – Total Elephant Kak, Wreck All Recordings.

8. Darth Gangrel says:

Meanwhile, I’m playing Dragon Age: Origins the complete opposite way, but that’s more to do with my completionist mentality rather than a goal to complete a game as slowly as possible. The first playthrough, as a human warrior, took me 137 hours according to Steam (because I sucked at the combat). Now as an elven mage things are going much better (because mages are overpowered), but I’ve already clocked in 130+ hours and I have 30-25 % left.

9. tanith says:

I hope something as awkward as this happens again.

10. Vegard Pompey says:

Earlier this year I saw wmj blow my mind at F-Zero X in an AGDQ video on youtube. Looks like he’s playing again now. I look forward to seeing this.

11. DrScuttles says:

Tekwar! You know that friend you had when you were young? You know, the one who told you in all sincerity that a game was really good and you definitely should buy it when you’re in the Bath branch of Electronic’s Boutique the next time your dad has you for t he weekend? Yeah, this damn game has destroyed friendships.
    Never did even finish a single level of the damn thing.

12. captain nemo says:

Friday 9th looks great :
    Half-Life 2 Episode 2 @ 09/01/2015 00:27:39,
    Portal 2 @ 09/01/2015 02:32:39, then
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City @ 09/01/2015 04:37:39

13. Kaeoschassis says:

I don’t know where else you’d find someone playing William Shatner’s TekWar at ALL…

Anyway, yay, more speedruns! I’m sure I’ll get around to watching some of the videos sometime next year.