Ubisoft Survey Reveals Potential Far Cry Locations

Begone, elephant! Unless you picked that last option or whatever.

Psssst! You wanna hear some gossip? WELL! So, Eurogamer told me that some friends of theirs told THEM that a marketing research survey told them – the friends not Eurogamer – that they wanted to talk future Far Cry game settings. I *know*, right?

Apparently the talk came in the form of a survey which asked players to make their preferences regarding potential settings such as Alaska, zombies, dinosaurs and Vietnam known.

Polling players is something Ubisoft have done before, particularly in relation to features in the Assassin’s Creed franchise. Obviously testing an audience’s enthusiasm for this stuff doesn’t mean it’ll actually come to fruition, but in case you were curious the full list of options, according to a screengrab on Eurogamer, is as follows:

• A Far Cry game in remote Alaska about surviving extreme wilderness
  • A Far Cry game in a futuristic, sci-fi setting on another planet
  • A Far Cry game set in the Vietnam war during the 1960s
  • A Far Cry game set in the cocaine trafficking jungles of Peru
  • A Far Cry game where you can fight against or join vampires
  • A Far Cry game in the Spaghetti Western style set in the late 19th century Americas
  • A Far Cry game that is set during a zombie outbreak
  • Blood Dragon 2. A sequel to Blood Dragon with more Rex Power Colt
  • A Far Cry game set in a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic world
  • A Far Cry game in the present day, set in a Jurassic Park Style island of dinosaurs
  • A Far Cry game based on the world of Shangri-La from Far Cry 4

(Which roughly works out as: The Long Cry, DestinCry, Cry Of Duty: Black Ops, Far Cry 5, Dra-Cry-la, Red Dead Cry-demption, Cry Z, Blood Dragon 2, FalloutCry, Jurassic World, and Far Cry 4 DLC)

The thing is, we’d say these don’t exactly represent out-of-the-jewel-case thinking and there also doesn’t seem to be a British option. With that in mind we’ve added our suggestions below so Ubi can get the survey amended ASAP.

• A Far Cry game set in the playground bit of a motorside Happy Eater restaurant
  • A Far Cry game set on the Isle of Man. Channel Islands as DLC
  • A Far Cry game set in the fictional town of Holby and featuring Charlie Fairhead on the box art.
  • A Far Cry game set during a massive power struggle on the local parish council
  • A Far Cry game which takes place entirely in your nan’s living room and the sofa cushions are islands and the carpet is lava and if you break any of the ornaments you’re going to be in the doghouse for WEEKS

Now that’s what I call co-operation. You’re welcome, Ubisoft.

1. Rao Dao Zao says:

I didn’t mind the trigen stuff in Far Cry 1, but I’d far rather they were dinosaurs so Jurassic Crypark gets the vote from me. And the real world is boring, so at least a bit sci-fi (or fantasy!) would be nice too.

• Geebs says:

To be more precise, all of those dinosaurs actually lived during the Crytaceous period.

2. Lacero says:

A Far Cry game set in The Village from The Prisoner

3. Anthile says:

>A Far Cry game in a futuristic, sci-fi setting on another planet
    Precursors

>A Far Cry game set in the cocaine trafficking jungles of Peru
    Xenus! Also known as Boiling Point or White Gold

>A Far Cry game where you can fight against or join vampires
    …Bloodlines?

>A Far Cry game in the present day, set in a Jurassic Park Style island of dinosaurs
    Trespasser, duh

RaveTurned says:

That one with the vampires – hope they are thinking about Dra-Cry-La, rather than CryLight.

5. BlacKHeaDSg1 says:

“A Far Cry game set in a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic world” …. yes please.
    “A Far Cry game in the Spaghetti Western style set in the late 19th century Americas” … only if they are going to make “better than Red Dead Redemption” (which they will never EVER able to do it).

Jiskra says:

but maybe they would release it for PC

Damien Stark says:

I was thinking less “Red Dead Redemption” (which is third-person, no?) and more “Call of Juarez: Gunslinger”

In which case, yes please more of this.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Which is why they wouldn’t do this one – big corps don’t like to publish stuff that conflicts with existing franchises. They may be throwing the idea around to see how people react, but they’d make a Kill the Icons version of Call of Juarez before they make a regular Wild West Far Cry. One can only hope whatever game they make has ATV’s.

6. Radiant says:

“A Far Cry game where you can fight against or join vampires”

Sounds like every time I get drunk in east london.

7. Phantasma says:

As there’d be no real news value in moaning about a new Far Cry game still being “MMO Side Quests: The Game” regardless of setting, i just want to say: Dinosaurs, yes please!

8. Ross Angus says:

This is how franchises should be: having the freedom to throw away the lore each time, and just keep the gameplay from one to the next.

• Scumbag says:

That worked for Final Fantasy for a while. Then it did not.

• Ross Angus says:

How so? All I know of Final Fantasy is spiky hair, Chocobos and huge swords.

Damien Stark says:

So you only know FF7?

Assuming you’re serious, Final Fantasy 1-10 had no continuing story or even consistent world. Every time new world, characters, story. The first one was fairly typical high fantasy, the second-one-released-everywhere-which-was-actually-the-fourth-one was still mostly fantasy but added some interesting twists (going to the moon for example). The next big one was sort of steampunk fantasy, and the biggest famous one (7) pretty much abandoned fantasy altogether in favor of sci-fi.

Once they hit 10, they started trying to make actual sequels and instead of continuing the linear numbers started giving them names like X-2.

• Ross Angus says:

That makes sense – so the series started going downhill when they started recycling worlds?

Damien Stark says:

Basically yes. I think that’s what Scumbag is saying and I tend to agree.

It used to be that when you bought a new Final Fantasy game, you really had no idea what the story would be like, but you could count on a few things:
            Really great visuals – both the art itself and in later entries the high-quality cutscenes
            Complex and interesting (if a bit repetitive and grindy) RPG combat
            A lengthy and far reaching story with a large cast of characters

Over time they introduced more individual elements which would constantly show up – chocobos as you mentioned, also moogles, usually someone named Cid, etc. – but this was closer to the Wilhelm Scream than actual continuity.

I actually really enjoyed 12, which breaks our rule a little as it came after X and X-2, but…
            X-2 was continuing the story from X, but with the serious summoner woman turned into a pop princess and changing cute outfits as a key game mechanic.
            13 was the first Final Fantasy game where I found myself intrigued by the mechanics but quitting because I couldn’t stand the story and characters – whereas previous FF games you would endure the mechanics after they got repetitive because you really *wanted* to see the story.
            13 is now getting a sequel, I can’t even remember what they’re calling it (Wiki says “Final Fantasy XIII-2” and “Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII”)

Taste is subjective and all that, but I think most fans would agree that FF 1-10 were the best and since then it’s been downhill.

Grizzly says:

WHen I think “Far Cry in Vietnam” I immeaditily think “Apocalypse Now”, but Far Cry 2 already went the “Heart of Darkness” route. Personally I would love to see a Far Cry in Alaska, simply because Alaska is a very intriguing locale. It attracts a certain kind of people which would probably fit very well in a Far Cry game (esp. those in the Alaskan Interior), and the setting allows Ubisoft to deconstruct the “American Dream” after toting it so much in FC3.
    Also, I have friends there.

• ZPG Lazarus says:

Can confirm, I live in the Alaska interior (Faribanks)

New ways of getting round like snowmachines, skiing, dog sleds, and snowboards would be sweet.

The cold (-20F now and not even that bad) would be a tricky game mechanic to get just right. Step outside at -40F and you’ll get chillblain (if not frostbite) within a minute if your hand’s aren’t covered. The winter can be a real monster if you’re not prepared. Crytek should really head up here to feel it for themselves before attempting to craft a game mechanic around it.

Hunting could really be fleshed out with a hunger mechanic, and pretending zoning laws don’t exist (I wish) a player could kill all the caribou, moose, and black bear he wanted. Fishing off boats, rivers, or even ice fishing would be an alternative to the same old “run around the hills and look for this animal” crap.

Players could interact with the natives and outlying bush villages to buy food, guns, clothes, and even booze. Alcoholism among the natives up here is a HUGE issue that Fry Cry could raise some awareness about and create a memorable quest line to boot.

Just my thoughts. Saw this and remembered Alaska needs some gaming love!

• fish99 says:

Just a quick FYI – Far Cry 2, 3 and 4 were made by Ubisoft Montreal, so a bit closer to Alaska than Crytek over in Germany (in terms of distance if not weather). Crytek only made the first Far Cry, then made the Crysis games when they switched publisher to EA, but Ubisoft retained ownership of the Far Cry IP.

• Buuurr says:

No Alaska, Thank you! I think pretty much every channel has Alaska on it. Wild West Alaska, Alaska: The Last Frontier, Salmon Fishing and boat ramming or some shit for some reason Alaska, Railroad Alaska, Ice Lake Rebels, Alaska Log Cabins, Buying Alaska, Living Alaska, Bush People… I could go on. It’s a little done to death. We get it. It’s cold. You hunt. You farm. You endure cold. Being from Northern Canada I find it completely boring.

I can’t even begin to imagine how far one would have to stretch a Far Cry game story to make it about Alaska. I’m pretty sure the vampire thing would be easier and more ‘fresh’ – and that’s saying something.

I’m sure I shit some Alaska everyday at this point. So much of it is on TV that I know it gets into my blood stream through my eyes and is filtered and purged from my body as stool. I know because my wife tells me the bathroom smells like smoked salmon, char, bear meat and homeless bush folk sometimes. And that’s just from all the commercials!

Just saying. No offense. I just think it a terrible idea.

10. John O says:

So they change the setting and done? Set it in a jungle and make it interesting.
    And then change the setting to 17th century London.
    (Please avoid generic Wizards, Zombies, Assassins, Vampires and Werewolves.)

11. nojjynb says:

I would play the crap out of Far Cry Jurassic Park

• pendergraft says:

Far Cry 4’s animal animations are so good that the idea of them working that magic on dinosaurs makes me moist. I can’t think of a single game that features dinosaurs that don’t look absolutely ridiculous in motion.

• Donjo says:

Yes, I will buy ten. I would seriously love if this happens, I’ve been waiting in vain for Jurassic Life, the HL mod, but it’s never gonna happen and the last semi open world first person games wot with dinosaurs in it was Trespasser, which, even though it was absolute shit, I loved forever.

12. Turkey says:

You mean they haven’t started on a sequel yet?

particlese says:

Once, years ago, I babysat my little sister, and we played “Super Metroid” like that, complete with items (pillows, remote controllers, etc) for unlocking doors, and me making sound effects and singing the item jingle.

14. Tom Servo says:

I would vote Alaska for the stunning scenery. I see a post apocalyptic thing where the remnants of humanity have gathered there and there is complete anarchy.

15. thedosbox says:

A Far Cry game set in the near future where Uplay doesn’t exist.

FhnuZoag says:

I like the idea of setting it in Alaska, mostly for the shitstorm that would erupt if you shoot americans. But the idea with the nan’s living room is the best.

17. onodera says:

Alaska? Skyrim.
    Joining vampires? Skyrim Dawnguard.

I think the spaghetti western would be the best option out of those offered, Donbass is of course the best option, they just have to finish the game before the conflict peters out.

18. paintio says:

Daniel (Cry) Wilson’s what I’ve got, or Philip (C) Dick. Bring the Singu(cry)larity!

19. fish99 says:

The Shangri-La missions in FC4 are god damn awful, so a gigantic ‘no’ to that option (the rest of the game is awesome btw).

Liking the Alaska, Peru and dinosaur options.

Serrit says:

I do like the idea of holding down the heal key to have Mike and Charlie roll up with a gurney and do a spot of keyhole to get you fighting fit again.

21. v21v21v21 says:

Aaaand the winner iiiizzz:

(machine gun staccato)

A Far Cry game set in the psychedelic, acid floating mindworld of 70’s hippy drug fiends, a la Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the FaroutCry.

22. jonahcutter says:

19th century American West or Australian Outback.

Generational spaceship fleet.

23. Frank says:

I’d vote for Alaska, though it would need to have ice floes.

Or a swamp/river delta.

24. Monggerel says:

A Far Cry game set in the Pacific Ocean where you are asked to perform the role of a great whale sinking ships for revenge.

Far Cry: His Crooked Brow

25. Headlight says:

Far Cry Disney World (which I have just learned is 47 square miles) would be my choice.

26. MacTheGeek says:

How about a game set on a jungle island? With mysterious temples, and a donkey wheel at the bottom of a mineshaft, and polar bears, and an unkillable smoke monster who can only be held at bay by an unbroken circle of ash.

DharmaCry. Coming soon!

27. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

“A Far Cry game set in the cocaine trafficking jungles of Peru”

Isn’t that a bit like saying “a game set in the scorching deserts and massive ranches of the US state of New York”?

Anyway, my vote would be either for vampires or dinosaurs. (Oh man, SuperCryNatural.) Since they don’t want to go the Far Cry 2 route they should go the other way and go as insane as possible. Maybe one day they’ll realize their destiny and make Actual Skyrim With Guns.

Question: How do you justify making a dragon that any player can fight, when it makes no bloody sense for a dragon to come into melee range when they can fly and spit fire?
    Answer: *sustained fire from jeep-mounted machine gun*

28. Borodin says:

I would have loved to see a creative discussion about this, but Philippa’s post has set the tone to flippant.

Of the options offered, my favourite would be the Western, followed by Vietnam. I would really like to see something suburban, but the problem is that there are few locations that offer enough natural fauna for the Far Cry idea to work properly.

I dread the Alaskan option, as the all-white scenery and poor visibility rather spoil the game for me in the high-altitude parts of FC4.

I love the idea of a Victorian London, with rats, pickpockets, assassins, and wealthy families. It would also be nice to see the Australian outback represented for once.

Those are my thoughts. Anyone else?

• jonahcutter says:

I believe the next Assassin’s Creed is being set in Victorian London.

• fish99 says:

“I love the idea of a Victorian London, with rats, pickpockets, assassins, and wealthy families.”

Sounds kinda like an open world Dishonored.

29. KenTWOu says:

I want Blood Dragon 2 where the main character is Rex Power Colt but with a twist. This time he could change his sex using one button in any moment of the game just for the sake of it, criticizing it doesn’t add anything to the game. Of course, Michael Biehn will play both versions of the main character.

30. Nereus says:

A Far Cry game where you’re lost in the plywood and plastic jungle that is Ubisoft’s game design devision. You’re a rogue developer with fresh ideas – and they want you dead. Creep through the cubicles, using the background noise of power supplies to cover your takedowns and remain undetected, or go in guns blazing, rigging complex explosives out of a customer service representatives smart phone and lighter fluid. You can even lure Gary the mail guy into the their camp to distract them while you clear it out.

31. scatterbrainless says:

So, I take it Ubi is going full Assassin’s Creed on Far Cry, with continual changes of locale and zero innovation in mechanics or game design? Here, have all my weary sighs Ubi.

32. firebrothers says:

My choice out of this list is the dinosaur one as it is original however if I could choose any map for far cry 5 to be in I would pick an african safari the rivers would be home to hippos and crocodiles and on land there would be lions hyena’s leapords giraffes elaphants I could go on for ever plus I told my friends this and they thought this would be amazing

33. firebrothers says:

So yeah

34. firebrothers says:

Reply to me if u think its a good idea

35. firebrothers says:

Also the alaska idea sounds amazing