Moving Stories Tells Tales Through Your Suitcase

Severed hand or teddy bear?

Moving Stories by Terry Cavanagh (him off Super Hexagon and VVVVVV) and Stephen Lavelle (Puzzlescript, English Country Tune) is a satisfying little snack of a game I’ve been prodding at for about 20 minutes.

The idea is you’re moving house and only have a limited amount of space in your suitcase so you must choose the things you wish to take with you. Once the case is packed and the detritus shoved into the nearby bin you’ll get snippets of the story of why you’re moving out.

The story changes with different playthroughs and different item combinations which is why I’ve been tinkering with it for a while. That said I think there are only a few different basic reasons for moving out so it’s the sort of short game you’ll probably play three or four times then start hitting the similarities.

Until then it’s more about what you fancy taking with you for your new life. Will you be a business suit/ukelele/everyday dildo kind of girl, or will you go the party dress and handgun route?

Every eventuality is covered in this one suitcase

Pip’s top tip: You can’t get the cat to stay in the suitcase or the bin so don’t spend three minutes trying to do so.

Moving Stories is online and free of charge.

1. kalzekdor says:

Lol… The Spy ending is hilarious. “I’m sorry, kitty, you know too much…”

2. thedosbox says:

OK, I lost it at the “reward” for ten years of service.

3. B0 says:

Heehee. I only gave it one quick try, I like it already. I’ll have to give it some more time when I’m home.

4. YogSo says:

As soon as I read that, I was reminded of one of Mr.Bean’s classics.

5. Notebooked says:

This is a fairly interesting little thing. I quite liked how certain item combinations can set the tone for the rest of the items, particularly since it leads to the delightful Spy Dildo.

6. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

It’s nice, but discovering that except for the spy stuff there are only three big choices that depend solely on your choice of clothing kinda put a damper on it. Unless there are more item combinations that lead to new ‘backgrounds’ that I’ve missed.

• Ditocoaf says:

There are five major “endings” (and then all the slight variations depending on what else you decide to bring or toss).

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Oh, I hadn’t found the naturist. It’s kind of obvious in hindsight!

7. Viroso says:

Okay, so far I found broke up with boyfriend, moving in with boyfriend, business woman, spy and naturist.
    Did anybody else find another ending?

8. philthom4s says:

This is a pretty fun moving game. Games are always more fun when you can make choices that actually impact what will happen. That’s not to say linear games aren’t fun, I just think others are better (my opinion of course).
    ashtons.com.au