RPS Asks: What Did You Play Over The Holiday?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s writers are stumbling about, eyes blinded by the light. What is it that we do here again? What does that button over there do? What’s a Twitter? Perhaps you feel similarly. Perhaps you’re still finding roast potato crumbs in your pockets and the memories of unfettered gaming in your brain.

Share those memories of gaming during the holiday in the comments below.

You can share memories of the roast potatoes as well, if you like. We’ll do a post tomorrow about what all of RPS were playing over the break, so to start here’s mine.

I kept it simple. We boiled the potatoes for five minutes, drained the water, and vigorously shook the potatoes in the pots to fluff them up. Then we got in there with a fork and we forked them all over. Forking is the second best part of making roast potatoes, while the best part is using the word “fork” suggestively during every available conversation. I spoke to John this morning and, d’you know, he didn’t even know what forking was! And he has a baby.

But you do it to create grooves for the oil to run into, supposedly because it makes for a crunchier skin. Maybe this is just a lie sold to me by television cooking programmes, I have no idea, but then we put all the potatoes in porcelain dishes, covered it with olive oil and salt, and blasted it in the oven for 45-50 minutes. They turned out great. You don’t need goose fat or whatever, and you can totally have a great Christmas roast dinner even if you’re vegan or vegetarian.

We had 24 roasties left over after the meal which we ate over the following few days, and then when they were finished we were so sad we had Christmas 2 and cooked it all again, parsnips and sprouts and all. Golly.

So what have you been playing?

Photo credit: Jim Moran

1. iucounu says:

Endless Legend, which I really want to like but feels oddly lifeless somehow, and I don’t really know why. And a spot of Far Cry 3, because Far Cry 4 is still way too expensive.

Oh, and you want to let the spuds steam dry for a bit after you drain them.

• Hunchback says:

Farcry 4 is qutie cheap on g2a now…

Damien Stark says:

“which I really want to like but feels oddly lifeless somehow, and I don’t really know why.”

This was how I always felt about GalCiv2. On paper the feature list reads like my personal wish list, but something about the art/lore/content just sucked all the joy out of it for me. I can’t really point to a specific fault or complaint, it was just – as you say – lifeless.

Enchanted Fallen Legendary Heroes Empire Princess (or whatever it’s really called) had a similar problem for me, so perhaps it’s some problem with me and Stardock?

• iucounu says:

I bought Endless Space when it came out and Legend feels like a more fleshed-out version of the same game (because in a planetary sim you get the landscape in a way that you don’t in a galaxy of abstracted planets.) I have put plenty of hours into both but something isn’t really clicking with me. I think it’s possibly my own rather casual attitude to 4X games; what I enjoy is not so much a challenging strategic tussle between empires but a low-stress narrative sort of thing, probably on an easy difficulty setting, and without too many wars. Civ IV and V seem to offer a bit more fun played that way; Endless is all about managing (and often micromanaging) the economy.

I didn’t click with GalCiv either, so perhaps we’re in the same boat.

• malkav11 says:

I haven’t played GalCiv II with the final expansion, which added a bunch of race-specific tech and buildings and such, so maybe it has more personality with that installed, but it did seem curiously mathy and flavorless in the couple of sessions I had with it.

And yet I still bought into the GalCiv III beta when they had the 50% off code. Why, why do I do things like that?

• LuNatic says:

I have to agree with Endless Legend being lifeless. I’ve started perhaps a dozen games of it, and after playing one through to completion, I have no motivation to go back. I think the problem is a number of things – the AI is too passive, the penalties for expansion are too harsh (and don’t reduce over time) and the minor factions aren’t active enough. In a way, the world feels asleep – as if nothing will happen unless the player initiates it.

I’ve been playing a lot of Age of Wonders 3 – I really want too like this game, but it’s so horribly slow in the endgame. It’s probably the only 4X I’ve played where the game actually seems to get slower and smaller over time. Also, for a game supposedly about the tactical combat, the battles are rubbish. You aren’t going to let me place my units at the start? Oh, and you’re going put my archers right there? Yeah, no. Also, the lack of separate building and training queues is frustrating.

I’ve been trying to get into Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes over the last few days. On paper, it is everything I want in a 4X, but it lacks atmosphere, and is so ugly and brown – I would prefer high quality 2D sprites over the low poly 3D they use. That fact that it crashes every 40 odd turns doesn’t help either.

Sadly, nothing seems to quite scratch that 4X itch right now.

• iucounu says:

On nothing happening unless you initiate it: I’ve played three games and never fought an actual war against another Empire. The AI is just as content as I am to quietly and gradually expand and build tech. I’m wondering if it’s to do with the way I have the game set up – not too hard, a big world, and picking pacifistic traits? But it’s bothersome that the game doesn’t produce interesting stories unless you dial the settings in to engineer it.

In my last game there came a point about 1/2 way through when I got a faction quest that required me to rampage across half the world and effectively destroy the other big empire in order to take a particular city and advance the story. By about 3/4 of the way through, I found the city, and realised that there wasn’t really any point in doing that, given the apocalyptic war I would need to unleash. I’ve got a comfortable lead on points, and I may well hit the tech victory before the turns run out, so why bother?

We were all just sitting there picking off the few remaining unsettled regions and steadily accumulating. I was winning because I had built an efficient economy faster than my opponents, In the last ten turns, I found out that another empire had 4/5 of a science victory, so there was a tiny spike of tension about being pipped to the post, but there wasn’t enough time in the end.

I’m going to go back to it and tweak a few things, because as I say I want to like it. It’s very pretty, has lots of clever ideas, fascinating worldbuilding, so I must be able to find some kind of way to enjoy it as much as a game of dear old Civ, right? Do I need to play it as Genghis Khan?

• Rymdkejsaren says:

I have been playing Endless Legend as well but on the contrary am positively enchanted by it. Maybe the lifelessness is in your heart, not on the computer screen? Did you ever think of that?

• iucounu says:

As a seven hundred year-old lich, my heart is distributed among forty canopic jars in various haunted dungeons, so it could be that, yeah.

• Grovester says:

*stands up*
          *applauds*
          Congratulations on your witty repost, sire!

• Josh W says:

By Apep’s tail man, there’s something to be said for having a little decorum in your minions!

AceJohnny says:

Yes I say, that was quite the repost on the riposte!

• Cardinal says:

I agree with this person.

• fish99 says:

You can pick up FC4 for £24 currently on amazon UK, or £27 on simply cd-keys.

AceJohnny says:

Endless Legend consumed most of my time during the holidays, and contrary the the honorable liche I’m replying to, I found it quite enjoyable and fleshed-out myself!

It was my first time playing it, and this right after playing a couple games of Endless Space. I enjoyed Endless Space as a modern take on Master-of-Orion-like Space 4X, but gameplay wasn’t quite as deep as I had hoped. Endless Legend, however, was fantastic. The art is amazing, and I really liked the wide-range of fantastic ressource types that kindled my imagination (“I wonder what kind of geo/bio/nanological processes could’ve created Earthspire?”). I was impressed with the effort that went into making the factions very different in play- and art-style. The faction-specific quests fleshed out the factions for me, and the random quests fleshed out the world (I loved the sporadic tie-ins the the Endless lore common with Endless Space). Maybe it helped to imagine this game in the same universe as Endless Space and Dungeon of the Endless.

I had issues with performance, however. It was rather annoying how the game slowed down when you clicked on cities and it switches to tile ressource display. That said, I’m impressed with what they pulled off with Unity!

AceJohnny says:

I should add that Endless Space fulfilled my 4X/Strategy fix where Civ5: Beyond Earth failed. I had high expectations for Beyond Earth (“something something Alpha Centauri! Gimme gimme gimme!”, and I knew the designers explicitly rejected that link), but after a couple playthroughs of that, found *it* boring and lifeless, with underwhelming gameplay and disappointing production values (vague sketches for wonders? No lore on techs? The most-anticlimactic victory screen I’ve ever seen?*)

So it’s quite possible that I enjoyed Endless Legend that much more thanks to the contrast with Civ:BE.

*though TBH, Endless Legend’s victories are almost as non-existant. I wish they had given us some kind of animation like each faction’s intro. Disappointed, but at least the rest of the game is deeper.

2. Orageon says:

Sudoku while lying on the sand at the beach.
    …Yes I have seen the door and yes I will close it behind me…

3. razorangelwings says:

Hit over 80 hours on Dragon Age: Inquisition. Damn if that game doesn’t Skinner Box me in all the right ways.

4. Faxanadu says:

Dead Space 1

I bought Wolfenstein, but after a few minutes I realized they’ve brought nothing new to the genre. Maybe it was because of the homage, but I’m more of the mind it’s because AAA FPS games have this curious idea that an FPS “is what it is” and therefore you don’t have to try improve/evolve the gameplay.

Dead Space 1, for which I had no expectations, surprised me very pleasantly. Decent plot, nice upgrade system, interesting weapons, just overall nice trudging along and killing funny aliens. It was even scary for the first 10 minutes. I’ll be going on to Dead Space 2 next.

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

I played Wolfenstein: The New Order myself and had the opposite reaction: it exceeded my expectations. I liked it a lot. Sure it didn’t reinvent the FPS, but it’s a fine example of a well-implemented specimen of that genre, and married to a story sufficiently daffy (fighting Nazis on the Moon, how can you not love that) to be quite entertaining.

• djbriandamage says:

Ditto – I loved the new Wolfenstein and thought it overachieved in many ways. What’s up with the writing being so good? The original game had mecha-Hitler and you ate dog food!

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

Yeah, the writing was surprisingly strong. While I was playing it, the game Wolfenstein reminded me most of was actually Spec Ops: The Line — another game that combined not-revolutionary-but-well-implemented FPS gameplay with a well-written story.

EDIT: Damien below is correct, Spec Ops was third person. I should have just said “shooter” and left it at that.

Damien Stark says:

Spec Ops: The Line was third-person not FPS.

/pedantry

• malkav11 says:

I really think innovation and originality are given far too much weight by a lot of people in this hobby. Sure, Wolfenstein: The New Order looked gorgeous, had really satisfying and goofily over the top shooting, generally great level design and perfectly pitched difficulty curve (except for that final boss, yeesh), really well done worldbuilding and extrapolation, and surprisingly excellent writing and characters, but it “brought nothing new to the genre”, so who cares, right?

• Faxanadu says:

*shrugs* Gameplay is everything to me. It’s the thing you spend most your time with. If you don’t try to come up with ANYTHING new, or scratch that, if you don’t try to even IMPROVE the standard FPS model for your top great super FPS game, I can’t be entertained.

Soldier of Fortune came out 15 years ago. (Time to feel old everybody.) It was awesome, because when you shot at limbs, they exploded and shit. Wolfenstein: The New Order? Doesn’t even get that far. Like come on. No, I’m not asking for exploding limbs. I’m asking for SOMETHING that happens in the gameplay, and entertains in a new way.

I’ll eventually finish Wolfenstein, having now only played till the mental hospital scene, so who knows maybe no I really doubt it.

• malkav11 says:

Sure, gameplay is what you care about, but why is it important that it be new? What’s wrong with merely “really well executed”? I mean, maybe you don’t feel that that’s true of Wolfenstein: The New Order. Fair enough. I would disagree, but that’s at least partially a matter of taste. But I don’t insist that every meal I eat be some radical departure from every meal I’ve eaten in the past. I just want it to taste good. Why are games different?

• Faxanadu says:

I had to chew on that for a moment. Ha ha, get it?

Because everything can be exhausted. If your every meal was porridge, you’d be exhausted pretty quick. So that’s not a fair comparison, because who’d have porridge every day? Well, who’d have basic FPS gameplay for 20 years?

• malkav11 says:

But I don’t. I have increasingly lavish FPS gameplay that occasionally stays at a plateau of quality rather than trying something new that will quite possibly fall flat on its face, and like 50 other genres of game to mix things up besides. To me what you’re saying sounds more like it being agony to eat the same juicy, delicious steak two times in your entire life.

If -nobody- ever tried to advance the genre, that would be a problem. But it’s not a problem that I’ve ever observed in the gaming industry. If anything, too many people are trying to without really having a good sense of what they’re leaving behind and what their strengths are. (See a lot of Bioware’s recent games.) The occasional someones content to “merely” deliver a strong rendition of the state of the art hardly seem like a bad thing to me.

For that matter, I have a similar reaction to the people who have a blanket distaste for DLC. Obviously, there’s plenty of examples of the concept of DLC being abused, and even good DLC that’s not priced in appropriate, market-friendly ways. But the horror that developers would -dare- to offer people more of that game they loved all to hell….why on earth would that be offensive?

• Faxanadu says:

I’m confident making the sweeping statement that 9/10 FPS games use the same generic gameplay. You seem to think it’s the other way around, at 1/10 or so. So I guess we agree to disagree.

But looking at Wolfensteins gameplay I can’t help but be baffled. Aim, shoot, hitscan, dead enemy. Old sneaky stabby mechanics, old explosives, old everything. Same repeated in a multitude of games. Really can’t see what makes it into a juicy steak once in a decade instead of once every day.

Just look at Wolfensteins coverage on gameplay features. It mentions amazing things such as inventory, ability to take cover and modify weapons a bit. That’s it. That is pitiful. So I can’t see how you’d carry your argument – you can say it’s all done well, but no matter how you put it it’s the same old thing done well. It’s old, and done to death, and keeps getting done several times every year.

• malkav11 says:

Have you considered that if 9/10 FPSes feel tired and samey to you, it may simply not be a genre that works for you? Because there’s plenty of individual variation, but if that genre core doesn’t work for you, that’s not going to matter. (I’m specifically not arguing whether Wolfenstein: TNO itself is innovative or not because I don’t think that should be the grounds on which games are evaluated.)

• Faxanadu says:

Nah, FPS are a big part of my diet. I consume online FPS daily, where the variation comes from smart enemies.

Innovation should totally be a part of evaluation. Reinventing the wheel shouldn’t get you points. Speaking of innovation, it’s funny that the recent Super Wolfenstein HD has more innovative gameplay than Wolfenstein: TNO. Destructible walls, interactive physics. And it was a joke game. Heh.

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• malkav11 says:

Multiplayer FPS and singleplayer FPS may as well be different genres. They have almost nothing in common. So my question still stands.

And you should absolutely get points for successfully innovating. But I don’t agree that it’s a mandatory criterion for evaluation, or that points should be docked for not attempting it. The net result of not attempting it is neutral, not negative. Attempting and failing is usually a lot more harmful to the overall game experience. And I violently object to the idea that it’s the only meaningful criterion.

• Faxanadu says:

SP FPS is very similar to MP FPS. The only mandatory difference is that some characters have humans controlling them, while in SP they all have AI. Cooperative MP FPS is almost identical to an SP. I have no idea where you’re coming from.

This isn’t a spreadsheet. Evaluation is affected by comparison. If you do an exact copy of another game, you get negative points instead of “neutral” points. That’s common sense. And at no point did I imply that gameplay should be the only criteria for evaluation.

I think we’re so distanced with our thinking on this matter that this simply won’t go anywhere. We’d need a 6 hour chat with cookies and milk to get a vague understanding of eachother. Assuming we could agree on the cookies and milk.

Damien Stark says:

I’m not really here to defend Wolfenstein – having not played it yet – but I humbly suggest that “I played a game for a few minutes” might not be quite enough to really determine that it “brought nothing to the genre”

I’m totally with you on Dead Space though. Went in with low expectations and loved it. The sound is particularly noteworthy. As far as Dead Space 2 and 3, I would say that they’re a steady decline, but DS1 is a high enough starting point that Dead Space 3 is still enjoyable enough to play through.

• Vandelay says:

I think it is also worth bearing in mind that the opening section of the Wolf game was used during the publicity of the game and press demos, leading to a lot of negative previews and the low expectation that many had for the game. Once you get beyond that fairly run of the mill opening section it does become rather lovely (if dual wielding machine guns and mowing down Nazis and their robots is lovely to you, you sick fuck.)

Then again, if you are expecting something that is particularly innovative or like nothing you have played before, you aren’t going to find much here and might as well look away. It does what it does very well and is a breath of fresh air amongst the rather turgid modern day FPS genre.

• SpoonySeeker says:

I have to agree, I don’t see where all the critical acclaim came from.

Sure, the characters were all well written and acted (except for the main character/hunk of patriotic american meat) but the gameplay was awfully dull and unorginal. The weapons being the biggest offender, with all of them being dull generic hitscan assault rifles (instead of shooting rapid fire hitscan bullets, this one shoots rapid fire hitscan lasers, oooooooh) you use to kill dull generic bulletsponge soldiers and robots.

• D70CW6 says:

Oh snap – oddly enough i also played Dead Space 1 over the hols …. again (on pc this time, played it on ps3 a couple of times when it was first released in 2008). It really is a great game.

5. darkhog says:

Blockscape. Great game. Take it or leave it.

6. dare says:

XCOM Enemy Within, finally. It was epic. I want to start again, with the Long War mod installed.

• 2lab says:

I’ve been fighting the Long war a bit.

• Haphaz77 says:

Make that three. Plus watching daily Long war let’s plays (go beagle!)

• Serenegoose says:

BEAGLERUSH FAN ACTIVITY

• Horg says:

I’ve just started watching Beagles twitch campaign back when he started on LW beta 4. It’s amazing how far that mod has come in such a short time frame. Even ignoring the big sweeping changes, the balance changes alone are so well thought out you just can’t go back to the base game.

• Modvind says:

As someone who finished Vanilla on Classical Ironman easily, but finds Impossible too difficult, is Enemy Within a good buy? I am afraid that Classical is too easy, but Impossible too difficult and stressful.

PS: Another Beagle fan here!

• Horg says:

The EW mechs make the early game on impossible more manageable. You can build one in the first month, preferably using a Heavy as they don’t lose any aim progression being converted at low ranks (defensive bonus also helpful), and the flame thrower will reliably one shot thin men and floaters. You still need luck and grenade spam to beat the game until your mech is ready, but once it’s up you can progress to laser weapons much more smoothly than in EU. From that point, EW is probably slightly easier than EU was. Some of the gene mods are really overpowered (mimetic skin for example) and although EW made the aliens a little tougher in the late game, the XCOM soldiers got more love and still crush after laser weps / carapace armour. You also want EW for long war compatibility, so do buy it.

7. Pich says:

Skyrim for a week, then the collision detection suddenly got fcked up. so i restarted playing Trackmania 2 Stadium and then got really into Dark Messiah of M&M. now i wish someone could mod DM combat into Skyrim (especially the mighty foot).

8. Stellar Duck says:

I mostly played this and that as I could find the time.

As per routine I played too much Crusader Kings 2. Caved and bought the new expansions for it. Not sure if I like all of the new stuff but it’s still early days.

Also got The Old City: Leviathan. What a weird game. It’s really good but I don’t know if I can finish it. Something in the story and the environments triggers some weird fear in me that I can’t pinpoint. Everything just feels wrong in my brain while playing. Kinda like listening to Welcome to Night Vale, I suppose. Only with less dead pan nonsense humour.

Started a new play of Dragon Age Origins but that’s kinda stalled now after I remembered that I still had the Deep Mines and the bloody dungeon in the Sacred Urn quest to go. Not sure I can deal with all that. And I was so happy after finishing the Fade. And then it all came back. :(

Finally completed a campaign in Unity of Command so I feel well proud of that.

Most importantly, after a two months break I finally got back in the pit of the A-10C. Felt so good to be back and to my surprise I could still start it and take off and even deliver most weapons. Struggling a bit with JTAC coordinates and SPI management but I reckon it’ll come back soon enough.

I cannot stress how good it feels to fly it again. It’s uncanny, really. That feeling when you manage a pass and dropping four JDAMs via mark points and then watch the kabooms on your tiny soundless telly. Like nothing else.

• behrooz says:

This sounds very similar to the thrill of turning the difficulty all the way up on Silent Hunter III and successfully sinking multiple ships out of a convoy from a manual plotting, manual targeting ambush.

Or at least attempting to do the same, and for whatever reason having no explosions result.

• Stellar Duck says:

Oh, that feeling, looking at the watch ticking, waiting for the result and then… nothing. So disappointing! Bloody duds! Or my own incompetence.

When it works though! Just don’t think too hard on the people on the ship. Always makes me sad.

9. Serenegoose says:

All I really played throughout that whole bit was The Banner Saga, really. It was a bit lovely, in a bleak and depressing eternal winter sort of way. I’ve been playing other stuff too, but mostly things that I was playing before the holiday too, just on and off. War Thunder, Borderlands 2, very low investment things. Dragon Age Inquisition? But I was more playing that in November really. Then shortly after New Year I played through Gone Home. Bit quiet, but I’ve plenty to be moving on with when I want to.

• drussard says:

Banner Saga for me too. The constant feel of lingering death and hopelessness is really well done. It caught me completely off guard actually. Feel like this is something a larger production should try and replicate. They have the high highs of killing the unkillable and saving the world down pat but not many can really nail that small sprocket on a small cog in an enormous machine quite the way this did for me.

10. Jiskra says:

I tryed RimWorld and was suprised by how damn addictive that game is. My first play season ended at 5:30am and only because my colony got wiped out by some stupid centipedes.

• jonahcutter says:

It is excellent already.

I had a great run a while back, which of course ended in hopeless tragedy. I was assaulted by raiders with mortars and alien landers with madness at the same time. It was a slow, inexorable, glacial degradation. For every single repair I made, two more things were broken.

Eventually it was all a horrific mess. Weapons, clothes and corpses scattered around the grounds. Buildings shattered and burning. And my last colony member wandering around in the ruins, completely mad and starving. I sat and watched him stumble around pointlessly for a good five minutes, before he finally wandered out into the wastes and keeled over too.

• Blue_Lemming says:

I finally buckled and bought into the Alpha, and its pretty addictive. Most of Saturday was eaten up by this.

Is it a strategy game or a story generator? I don’t care, it sucks me in far too often.

11. Scumbag says:

Dark Souls for many, many hours.

• Dezmiatu says:

Ditto. Relapsed for the changeover to Steamworks. Did a Raw/Crystal weapon build to finish off my achievements since I never really used either weapon type. While summons are faster, the regionlock is a pain. Didn’t want to change my region to FInland to see how manic it is. Figure I can wait for them to sort out the regions to be more inclusive, if they ever will.

• Scumbag says:

I was lucky with one character and ended up getting two Titanite slabs from the darkwraiths so upgrading down those paths was a viable thing (though kinda pointless). I still don’t have all the miracles or weapons, but they look like a real annoyance.
        The region locks are daft I admit, but I got a group together with a bunch of other people from Brazil, China, Ukraine etc… all regions who were not permitted to legally play Dark Souls previously as GFWL locked them out. Was fun, plus the summons / invasions were way more reliable.

• Josh W says:

Yep, steamworks, new game, although I chilled out for ages in human form in undead burg, without a single invasion or opportunity for Co-op. Not sure if there’s something different about the steamworks multiplayer or what, because I can still see messages and those ghostly glimpses of players. I’m wondering if I’ll go through the whole of the parish without ever being ganked.

• Wowbagger says:

Dark souls without being ganked in the parish is not dark souls. Grey souls/murky souls mayhaps.

12. djbriandamage says:

I played Elite: Dangerous with my flight stick and had a tremendous time. I bought a cheapo webcam and used the free open source FaceTrackNOIR software to act as a rudimentary head tracking solution.

I also replayed A Golden Wake which I enjoyed greatly, plus a bunch of Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and I watched my wife replay Telltale’s Walking Dead games.

• Thurgret says:

I played Elite: Dangerous too and had a tremendous time right up until I had a Cobra (didn’t take long), realised I could kill anything, realised trading was a pointless grind to just get a better trading ship (don’t need better than a Viper or Cobra for combat), realised exploration was even more pointless, though I guess there’s a cool thing going on with a brown dwarf in Xihe, and…

Well yeah. There’s just not much there. Bare bones. I tried messing with system influence stuff along with others, but it’s fundamentally broken. Playing with friends was entirely unreliable, and we could only find each other at stations or resource extraction sites – we most certainly could not lock on to each other’s frameshift wakes, since while we would see each other, each of us would see different NPCs (in fact, we each fought a Viper in one instance, where each of us could see one Viper, and only one, with the other two identically named Vipers that the others were fighting being invisible).

Graham’s tag there is pretty much spot on, and that makes me sad. The game, as promised, does not exist. There is something good there, but it’s nothing like what they advertise. It most certainly is not a functional MMO (also advertised), nor is the universe dynamic – the devs need to go in and change each and every thing manually, which they only seem to do if their hack writer (the writing’s awful) has decided it is to be so. None of it has a meaningful impact on players. There’s an utterly pointless reputation system, I guess – it doesn’t change anything except the colour NPCs appear in on your radar.

• Grovester says:

I’ve been playing E:D some, and with a decent HOTAS it’s great fun, as long as you don’t grind. I’ve been bumming about shooting up pirates, getting involved in random battles, and trying to hail a player called TheMorrissey with apposite The Smiths lyrics (“I was happy in the haze of a big space battle, but heaven knows I’m miserable now” etc) but he keeps running away.

But yeah, I can see beneath the glitz that it’s a bit empty and samey, and trying to enjoy the moments of just arsing around. In other words, not grinding.

Oh, and a bit of The Long Dark too. Survived for 26 days and then mucked up with a wolf, because I forgot the cabin I was in had a back door that would have allowed me to run away without the wolf seeing me.

13. Rao Dao Zao says:

I recently got a new computer, so I asked Santa for a load of games from the last few years that I couldn’t play.

So far, I have completed Rage (average), and am playing through ArcaniA (fairly coo’). Still to come are Divinity: Dragon Commander, Wolfenstein: the New Order and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Yes, this is not all the games from the last few years, I gave Santa a list and said “pick a subset” so that there was at least some magic left. :(

Damien Stark says:

Ah, Divinity: Dragon Commander was a treat.

I’m sure it says something that my favorite games are mostly the ones I went into with low expectations, but yes I remember having quite a fun time with that one.

14. rustybroomhandle says:

Civ: Beyond Earth
    – I guess I’m not enough of a purist to find something to dislike about it. Enjoying my time with it.

Strife
    – Not a bad title at all, but so very 90s. So far I have only encountered male characters in the flesh and the only female character already seems to have the hots for the presumably male main character. :)

Ultimate General: Gettysburg
    – All the awesome!

Metro: Last Light Redux
    – Much like 2033, which is not a bad thing

Finally caught up on Witcher 2
    – The male-power-fantasy stuff seem to have been written by a 14yo child, but beyond that the story/environments are pretty decent!

Loads and loads and freaking loads of Ziggurat.
    – Ordinarily a game that relies so heavily on an unlock system would not appeal to me, but this has somehow managed to get its hooks in me. We need a Wot RPS Thunk.

• Catchcart says:

I forced myself to have another crack at The Witcher 2 … too. I actually think the story has merit (I’m only through the prologue and I’m actually curious to find out why this **** is ***ing all these ****s) even if the protagonist is a douche. What made it such a trial that I had kept putting it off until now was that the UI and the tutorial are a 101 in ‘How Not To Do Game Design’.

• elderman says:

I lasted about thirty minutes with The Witcher 2. Perhaps it gets better later on, but I don’t have the patience to find out. The quick time events and the clunky combat mechanics repulsed me. I didn’t spend enough time with it to tell whether I liked the testosterone-infused fantasy world. It didn’t help that the game ran like molasses at every resolution on a computer that more than meets the minimum requirements, but I wouldn’t have enjoyed spending more time with that game in any case.

15. Jimbo says:

Burned out on Inquisition just before the end. That game is garbage, apart from Cassandra who is perfect in every single way.

Now palate cleansing with some Door Kickers and Defence Grid 2.

16. ExitDose says:

I discovered John Tillers Squad Battles series. I’m working my way through Red Victory and Tour Of Duty. I’m looking at one of First World War, Soviet-Afghan War, or The Proud And The Few as my next destination.

I also played a lot of Payday 2 with friends, the Vagante alpha, Flashpoint Campaigns, the Armageddon Empires demo, and Mini Metro.

17. zind says:

Plague Inc: Evolved and Space Run filled in the cracks, and the longer sessions were spent on Kotor 2 with restored content (and also the fantastic “Skip Peragus” mod). I was trapped with a not-great laptop and intermittent internet access.

EDIT: Once I got back to my home and PC I went back to Payday 2, which has been my mainstay for the past several weeks. There has been a little D3 to try and grind out a few more season cheeves, and I picked up AC4 during the steam sale and just started it as well.

18. derbefrier says:

Star Citizen’s Arena Commander 1.0 update (good stuff) with my new trackIR 5 and homemade cockpit setup I made from scrap metal I “found” at work.(yes its as awesome as it sounds)
    Some of that new gauntlet game with some buddies. its pretty fun, something to pick up during a sale.
    bought wasteland 2 on the final day of the steam sale, not far in it yet but its been fun so far.

I mostly played Star Citizen though. now that i got my hotas, pedals, trackIR, and my cockpit set up along with the awesomeness that was the 1.0 patch I have been having a blast fighting waves of vanduul (no pvp, its not really that balanced at the moment with the new signature system)

19. Dale Winton says:

I had nearly three weeks off and so completed

– Dark Souls 2
    -South Park the stick of truth
    -Litchdom : Battlemage
    -Mass Effect (first time played on PC)
    -Dead Rising 3
    -Ryse son of Rome

Dark Souls 2 was the highlight , Nearly 6 whole days it took me

20. Anthile says:

I had no internet over Christmas so I had to play what I happened to have on my PC at the time, which was:
    -The Sea Will Claim Everything
    It’s really good and was the highlight for sure.
    -Three Fourths Home
    A bit of an oddity.
    -Marathon
    The original. Uninspired Doom-clone gameplay but interesting lore.

After balance was restored and the internet came back to life:
    -Gone Home
    It might just be a game but who can say for certain?
    -Dear Esther
    Did absolutely nothing for me.
    -Jazzpunk
    It’s pretty funny, some of the time.

• mukuste says:

With Dear Esther, you really have to let the atmosphere seep in. I played it in a dark room with a surround sound system and on a large 3D TV. It was an absolutely amazing experience like few games have given me before. I’m quite sure it wouldn’t have had that effect playing it on a laptop during daylight.

• malkav11 says:

Marathon was ridiculously innovative and went leaps and bounds beyond Doom in only a bit over a year. Frankly, from a gameplay standpoint the Marathon series starts well ahead of id’s subsequent output and only gets better and more creative from there. But it was on Mac, and it wasn’t 3D (id was certainly more -technologically- innovative), so Quake gets all the attention.

Mind you, that’s in context. In 2015, things like separate clips for ammo, areas in vacuum that require an oxygen supply to navigate and affect your guns, secondary fire modes, non-health-pack based health, mouse-look, friendly NPCs, online multiplayer modes besides deathmatch, and in-game storytelling are all standard features of many FPSes. They certainly weren’t back in 1994.

• Geebs says:

Also grenade hopping and dual-wielding

• Master_of_None says:

Also a physics engine that was easy and fun to play with/mod, even for 9 year-olds (i.e me)

• malkav11 says:

The way that they had all the different components of the engine packaged up as easily moddable files was definitely outside the norm at the time. Actually, I’m not sure many FPSes since have exposed so much so easily.

21. Bracknellexile says:

I played This War Of Mine for ten hours straight then retreated into a dark room for two days to recover from the emotional trauma. Not had a game have that sort of emotional impact on me in a looooong time.

22. TinkiYuki says:

I chucked in 50 hours of Dragon Age : Inquisition. Desperate to finish at least one game before New Year that I bought in October.

• welverin says:

That was the wrong game to choose for that. I’ve got eighty hours and am not even halfway through.

I played some of that, a whole lot of TF2, Shadow Mordor DLC, and some inFamous: First Light.

23. mukuste says:

I… got into Counterstrike. Not the fancy new GO variant, but good old 1.6. Essentially because it was already in my Steam library and works on my now-Linux laptop.

I can definitely see what the fuss is about, it’s a great game with a lot of depth. Hard, obviously, especially when you play against some people who have probably played it for 15 years, but very satisfying when you figure out something new. After a few days, I managed to get my K:D ratio from “approximately zero” to around 1:2 on average, which I considered a success :D

Also some Crusader Kings 2. I… like it, on an abstract level, it’s very clever and obviously does something special, but I haven’t quite figured out how to actually have *fun* in it yet.

Hodge says:

I caught up on a bunch of shorter games I’d missed during the year, most of which were worth chasing down: Creatures Such As We, The Talos Principle, Lost Constellation, Here And There Along The Echo, This War Of Mine, The Novelist, A Date In The Park, Dog Of Dracula 2 (wow, I actually got through a decent amount of games in that time, and that’s just the stuff I liked – all recommended).

I also played way too much Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth and Civ 5, as is my way.

Damien Stark says:

Finally got and started Saints Row 4 (with all the DLC). Loving it of course, despite all the SR1 and SR2 fan-service stuff being lost on me. So happy someone finally made a great sequel to Crackdown.

It’s pretty impressive when a game can give you unlimited and convenient access to a heavily-reinforced Ferrari with nitrous and kneecappers, plus an attack helicopter to fly anywhere in the city with autocannons and rockets, but the player says “nah, I’d rather go do the more fun stuff”.

Damien Stark says:

Ah how could I forget, Wolf Among Us!

It had been sitting there in my Steam backlog for a while and I glared at it like a chore. “I don’t want awkward-interface story clicking, I want a fun game!” but I finally sucked it up and made myself start it… only to find that I couldn’t stop until I finished all five episodes. It was really compelling, totally sucked me in.

I already respected Telltale and enjoyed Walking Dead (season 1, haven’t played season 2 yet) but now I’m really impressed and looking forward to them finishing Game of Thrones and Borderlands (plus more Wolf Among Us!)

26. MeatMan says:

I always take advantage of the 2-week break from work to catch up on games that I didn’t make time to play earlier in the year. This time I played South Park: TSoT, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Valiant Hearts, and Endless Legend.

I’m almost done with TSoT, after which I will dive back into Endless Legend.

27. Scurra says:

I played far too much Mario Kart, and squeezed in some good boardgames (well, if Dixit counts as a boardgame…).
    PCs? Who needs ’em?

• elderman says:

Ooh, if we’re talking about tabletop games (Dixit counts!), I received Council of Verona for Christmas. I love the way it makes people focus on each other and not the cards. It’s a game about bluffing, guessing intent, and improvisation when your plans go totally wrong. The only problem I have with it is that I’m used to playing games where I can hold myself back to let my non-gaming friends win a bit. I try to make sure everyone’s having fun, and everyone getting a chance to win helps keep things light. For some reason, it’s been hard to hold back with the Council of Verona, and it’s quickly become the game I own that I play best.

28. Vandelay says:

Those potatoes really do look lovely. Nowhere near as good as my Mum’s, of course, but still making me peckish.

I played mostly stuff that I picked up on Steam sale. I made comments for each in the forum topic on the Christmas sale, so will just copy that here, with the odd edit:

Metal Gear Rising – Already played pretty much all of this, as it was the main thing I played the first half of the holidays. Was quite a bit of fun, but I got a bit infuriated with the final boss battle that kept jumping into cutscenes when I just wanted to get on with it. The endless calls during the game were rather tedious too, where the character would go into a slow walk while chatting to some other character about the inane plot. I know this sort of thing is to be expected from a Metal Gear game, but it does dampen my interest in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V. Never did actually finish that final boss and have since deleted the game, as I don’t see myself going back to it. Don’t take that as me hating it though, far from it, but it just left a bitter taste in the mouth.

The Wolf Among Us – Enjoying this greatly, which I am playing alongside the also good Walking Dead Season 2. Don’t know anything about the source material, so the setting feels quite unique, although the plot itself is pretty standard noir. Still intriguing enough to keep me engrossed. I’m also having a good time role playing as the Big Bad Wolf. I normally play these games choosing the nicest options possible, but playing as the maverick private “dick”, a good guy with nothing to lose, is good times. This and the Walking Dead are kind of my go to games at the moment, so saw most of my non-multiplayer (read DOTA) play time.

Endless Legend – My big spend this sale, mainly due to the praise it has been receiving around here of late (although, I got it before it was announced as game of the year.) Not really sure what to make of it yet. My first couple of games were both disasters, with me getting completely pinned in by minor faction armies within the first 25 turns. My third attempt saw me playing much more conservatively, not venturing too far away from my starting position. I’m now at about 30 odd turns and I’m actually winning a couple of fights. It just seems a bit… dull. I know it is still very early in the game, but I found that I am sitting around waiting for things to finish far more than I would do in a normal 4x game and there doesn’t seem to be much options as to what to build, particularly for military units. I suspect that it is due to me purposefully keeping myself away from everything, but I don’t really see any other option. I guess I need to give it a little more time with this game or perhaps ditch it and experiment with a different faction (I am playing as the Wild Walkers, as I understand they are one of the better ones to start with.)

Outlast – Only just loaded this up once and played for half hour or so. it seemed a good one to pick up to accompany my Christmas present, a new sound system, and it hasn’t disappoint in that department so far. I’ve not played enough to pass judgement on the actual game yet, as it has just been walking around, but I do love the camera. I just want to pull it out all the time and get shots to be cut together later for this imaginary report the character is working on.

Also got Consortium, after the article on here about it. Not had a chance to play this yet (want to finish the Tell Tale games before diving into another adventure game,) but really looking forward to it. There aren’t enough living on a space ship games around and the additional fourth wall breaking spin sounds interesting.

29. Dang-er says:

Evochron Mercenary – steep learning curve but seems pretty good so far

Bluerps says:

I got into Starbound for some reason. I played it for a couple of days, until I had managed to progress into the fourth sector, and then I felt like I had seen most of what the game has to offer at the moment.

I spent one very long day playing Banished. I knew a bit how it worked from a Let’s Play, and I played until I had a village with several hundred inhabitants that had at least one of every building, crop and farm animal and that looked like it could survive indefinitely. Then it was 7 AM, somehow (I had started in the early afternoon).

I also played through The Longest Journey and I started to play Dreamfall (the one from 2006, not the new one).

Also, Dragon Age: Inquisition, always.

• Catchcart says:

I had put off playing Banished due to Alec’s angreview. Then last Friday I kinda clicked on the icon by accident and then it was Monday and the holidays were over. Tropico 4 had soured me on the idea of being invested in building placees and their inhabitants with all it’s silliness but Bansihed restored that faith and then some. I was this close to breathing on the screen to make the snows melt and spring come…

31. melnificent says:

We got a family gaming PC (read mine), and a g27 wheel. So spent most of the holidays running time trials against my 10 year old daughter on Assetto Corsa or helping her get out of really deep mud in spintires.

32. klops says:

Neo Scavenger.

Then I CCleaned my save of the longest play I had played. Then I played more.

33. MrThingy says:

CK2, as I had the Macbook on hols with me. Somehow I never tire of this game… in fact… I never seem to tire of playing an Irish duke and fighting my way up to King of Ireland… with the odd Crusade venture now and again.

I’ve tried to love EU4 (which is also brilliant), but the character element CK2 and nations-within-nations thing just appeals to me so massively. <3 Paradox.

34. Lars Westergren says:

Finished Wasteland 2 and Ethan Carter, both good. Playing Talos Principle, it has shot up to be one of my top 5 games ever, only got a couple of red sigils left to collect on the “sanctioned path”. Can’t wait find more secrets and to ascend the tower.

Rose from 1.8K MMR to 2.3K MMR in Dota 2. Wish I could say it’s because I’ve gotten a lot better, but most of it is probably from playing with a friend who is one of the top ranked Meepos on the EU servers. Played half an hour each of DA: Inquisition and Elite and decided that they would probably both be great, but I should save them for a time when I can dedicate myself to immersing myself into one of them completely.

Started Endless Legend with the intention of immersing myself completely. Liked the art and the lore. Admired the complexity and balance in principle, but decided I wasn’t actually having that fun playing it and that life is too short to master it.

35. Rush Ton says:

I was away from my PC so played a few games on my phone. My favourite was hitman go, a very clever puzzle game based on the hitman license with a gorgeous boardgame aesthetic.

36. Cinek says:

I played… nothing. Was with my family, been on a few concerts, 2 movies, some parties… spent a month away from my PC, probably most time I did that in last 5 years or so, and it’s been really refreshing.

And that’s what I can recommend: some time off.

37. CptToffer says:

I mainly played Assassins Creed 3 and Fallout 3. Not sure if there was a ‘three’ theme or not but alas that was my main focus.

Damien Stark says:

I’ve definitely been on a set of 4’s: having recently finished Assassin’s Creed 4 I am now in the middle of Saints Row 4 and preparing for Far Cry 4 followed by Dragon Age: Inquisition (which I insist on thinking of as DA 4, following Origins, Awakening, and II)

38. Caelyn Ellis says:

I was given a bunch of new games on Steam, picked up a couple myself and have played pretty much nothing buy Skyrim for the past few weeks. When you want to wander around a fantasy world doing random adventurer stuff, there is no alternative (other than older Elder Scrolls games.)

39. The Sombrero Kid says:

Clearing my backlog after buying so many games in the sale, finished the amazing game with giant qte turds in it – tomb raider, played a bit more of the awful ff13 before getting bored of it, played the excellent dungeon of the endless, played through surprisingly good nazi stabbing simulator wolfenstein new order, topped it off with half of the half decent metal gear rising revengeance, not platinum’s best, a wee bit of the terrible long dark, just don’t understand what anyone sees in it & all through that big chunks of Dragon Age Inquisition as well.

40. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Fez! Why did no one tell me about Fez! It’s amazing! A game within a game within a game within a game. It’s a masterpiece, guess all the hype happened on Xbawks ’cause I don’t remember it getting much mention in these parts. It was just sat there from an ancient bundle I purchased. Just wow.

Also Elite:Dangerous. I could track my enthusiasm for this on a massive chart, starting somewhere near infinity at launch, lulling to an “Is that it?” slump a week or 2 in, but over the weekend returning to positive vibes land after getting my arse handed to me by an Anaconda with a 150,000cr mission reward attached. Finally I have a reason to play, I need a bigger ship to get the bigger bads, to make the bigger Credits to …. no, ok, not sure after that, but for now I’m Bounty Hunting my way very enjoyably about the galaxy.

Also Endless:Legend. Purchased in the Steam sale approximately an hour before you announced its GOTYness. I’ve only managed a single play through on easy, 4 civs, small map just to get to grips with it. Already excited for my first ‘proper’ game, I’m loving the differences to Civ, some producing a rye “Oh, clever, I see what you did there” smile. Just need to decide who to play as next, the Roaming people sound cool, but also the One Uber-Metropolis dudes have tickled my fancy.

That’s it really, apart from a bit of FIFA to test out an Xbone controller I got off Santa, but I try not to admit to such dirty habits in such esteemed company.

• Blue_Lemming says:

I could almost chart my E:D experience in the same fashion, although the jolly fat fellow delivered a HOTAS into my grubby mits, so bounty hunting got a tad more exciting and precise in those crucial “run like stink from the bigger guns” moments. I also took on the same anaconda mission, only to receive a badly dented ship and a cracked canopy.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yes, I think a HOTAS helps the immersion big time. And try FaceTrackNoIR if you haven’t already, it’s (slightly wonky but free) Track IR for 0% of the cost (if you have a webcam). It really adds to those TopGun “There’s a bogie on my 6” moments, and opening the menus or targeting stuff just by looking is just superb.

• Josh W says:

Yeah, Fez is really good, I got stuck on the bit where you start learning a new alphabet, but I’d love to give it another go some time.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yeah, same. TBH I had a look at a guide before realising the whole alphabet thing, how anyone is ever meant to work it out is beyond me. Love how one little nugget of info like that suddenly opens a whole load more of the game though. Great stuff.

41. amateurviking says:

I was away from the mothership so I made do with Vagrant Story on the Vita. Great game that, yessum.

42. scratchmonkey says:

When I had some uninterrupted time (i.e. almost never), Dark Souls on the new Steam setup, which seems to be a bit of a sticky wicket when it comes to the online stuff. Using the “classic” DaS build of pumping Dex and using a pyromancy flame. Just got my Gold Tracer up to +5 and going to head into the Abyss, with relatively little of the post-Anor Londo content done.

And Football Manager the rest of the time. Closed out a long-running lower league management save on FM14 as I took Turkish club Kayserispor to a unprecedented treble, the CL win being a thoroughly satisfying and undeserved 2-1 win against Chelsea (fresh off having their 12-year EPL winning streak broken by Spurs) where we had all of three shots on target. Shades of Munich.

43. Ross Angus says:

The Walking Dead Season 2. Failed to cry, but it was good. I roleplayed as the moral compass.

• ninjapirate says:

I did find myself immediately welling up during the flashback (?) scene with Lee and Clem in the camper.

• Ross Angus says:

I’d forgotten that. No, you’re quite right: my eyes were not dry throughout.

44. lowprices says:

As I finally have a laptop that’s powerful to play it, I’ve started on The Witcher 2. I’m enjoying it. The combat is stern, and has a nice, Dark Souls-esque feel to it (even if the combat is nowhere near as tight as DS), and the world is well realised (albeit with a bit of a Game of Thrones-style preoccupation with tits and rape, which I’m not digging). Curiously, the general crapsackery of the world appears to be making me play it differently. In most RPG’s I tend towards the lovely and altruistic, whereas in the Witcher I’m playing Geralt very self-interested and selfish. Seems more appropriate. Also, gosh darn it’s a pretty game.

That and episode 1 of Dreamfall Chapters. Like it. Looking forward to the next episode.

45. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The Talos Principle. (Excellent all the way through, except the last level tripped up a bit. And oh god, so many easter eggs!)

XCOM: Enemy Within, again.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat, again.

Nidhogg. Great.

Monaco. Didn’t really get on with it.

• mlaskus says:

Did you play Monaco alone, with random strangers or with friends?
      Because this is one of the games that’s pretty much only enjoyable with friends.

I could not get into it by myself at all. It’s complete trash with strangers.
      With friends though? Great fun, both when a plan comes together perfectly and when someone messes up awfully.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I played Monaco with my brother. There wasn’t much planning involved. It was quite random and hectic.

It was fun enough, just felt shallow, and we both tired of it fairly quickly.

46. oafish-oaf says:

Got most of the way through Dragonfall: Director’s Cut. I love it (I have cyberware in every slot, which I consider a greater accomplishment than beating any boss). I guess I should play the other Shadowrun games too?

• Steve Catens says:

I’ve been singing the praises of the Dragonfall Directors cut for weeks now. Unfortunately, it does rather represent the pinnacle of Shadowrun Returns development. The SR original campaign, while not terrible, would feel like a step down, lacking the Dragonfall polish. YMMV. As much as I enjoy the wonderful setting, I sincerely doubt the Shadowrun flavored shooter released some years ago would scratch the same itch.

It may be best to look forward. Harebrained has another kickstarter supposedly starting this month for the next Shadowrun game. If you enjoyed Dragonfall DC, consider supporting them.

• oafish-oaf says:

I was just reading about that Hong Kong thing. I usually only find out about interesting Kickstarter things long after they’re funded. I’ll make a special effort to hook into this one.

edit: also, do you have any opinion on any of the Dragonfall mods in the Steam Workshop? They all sound either unfinished or unworkable for the Director’s Cut.

47. Cardinal says:

Valkyria Chronicles :- wholeheartedly recommended, a seriously good game
    Distant Worlds :- need to get good at this given how much I paid for it
    Parsnips :- roasted in honey

48. Prolar Bear says:

I’ve just realized I haven’t eaten any roasted potatoes during the holiday. This makes me profoundly sad.

Anyway, I have started and completed SC: Chaos Theory (still holds up amazingly well), Jonas Kyratzes’ Desert Bridge and Postcard from Afthonia, finished KRZ Act I.

• Gap Gen says:

They’re also acceptable to make for a Sunday roast, and aren’t that hard, they mainly just take time to cook.

magnificent octopus says:

I was staying with my boyfriend’s family and didn’t have much time to do any serious gaming, so I mainly played Long Live the Queen. Over and over. Still haven’t made it the coronation. Since I got home, I bought Don’t Stave in the holiday sale, and have been playing that.

50. Gap Gen says:

Roast potatoes, yes. Also this Christmas I was mainly playing smaller games like Rymdkapsel (cute and deeper than I first thought but feels like it could achieve something greater with a few twists), Osmos (STOP EATING ME GAH), Creeper World 3 (turtling yes) and Unity of Command (cartoon genocidal warfare yes).