Freeware Garden: Vectagon

It’s called Vectagon and it’s a fast paced, procedurally generated, psychedelic runner that has, according to its developer, been inspired by Rez, Dyad and F-Zero. That makes Vectagon a jaw-dropping, infinite avoid-’em-up where lasting for a minute should be considered a huge accomplishment. A game with glorious neon visuals and a purely arcade heart.

To say that Vectagon is hard would be a vast understatement. You will need impressive reflexes just to survive 20 seconds in the gentlest of its modes and possibly hours of training before you can go for a whole minute. Thankfully though, every time you fail the game will crudely offend you –or, in the best of cases, simply go Urgh– thus cunningly using your added frustration to iron your resolve.

It’s a cheap trick, but it works.

Besides, anything that looks this good and costs nothing can be excused for anything up to and including modest verbal violence against players. The thing looks absolutely amazing and overloads your senses from the very first second in a way that would make Jeff Minter smile in approval. Of course, stopping to admire the scenery is out of the question, but play it long enough and those semi-random tunnels will burn themselves into your retinas.

Oh, and make sure to press F to enjoy the glory of Vectagon in full screen.

1. padger says:

Very pretty.

2. SquareWheel says:

Seems okay. Definitely a lot of inspiration from Super Hexagon, and very pretty. I guess the rude messages after you die are supposed to be edgy (“Your mom was better”), but really they just feel immature.

3. Eight Rooks says:

Not bad. I tried Velocibox the other day (in the latest BundleStars bundle) and this is a much better example of how to do this kind of game – still much too hard for me but it’s still clearly easing you in, letting you get a sense of accomplishment, never putting anything in the way of you playing the game. Velocibox I struggled to get past about two or three seconds and countless times simply died at the first obstacle. I got 15 seconds in with a couple of minutes’ play of this and felt myself getting better almost every time.

• Shadowcat says:

Velocibox is really brutal (more so than Super Hexagon, to my mind); but I’d still recommend it to people who are willing to persist with this sort of game (through a lot of early failure) for the satisfaction of overcoming what initially seems like an impossible challenge.

Not that I’m good at it yet (and I’m not sure I’ll ever get good enough to beat it); but I’ve made it to level 3 a couple of times, which is a dramatic step up from my first, ooh, hundred or so attempts at a guess :)

The flip motion still messes with my brain, though.

4. mukuste says:

Wait, there is no Unity web player for Linux? This seems silly, considering that Unity can output Linux executables just fine.

5. tumbleworld says:

I’m quite happy with a top score of nearly 14 seconds.

6. Urthman says:

You can tell it’s a hardcorz game by all the edgy swears.

7. Urthman says:

19:25. This is pretty great. I just wish there were a version without the 13-year-old X-Box Live trash-talking chat window.

• Urthman says:

Oh, hey, actually there is. There’s a prototype version on the developer’s website that starts slower and easier, has lower system requirements (probably smoother on some computers), and without the puerile insults.

link to vectagongame.com

• Coldyham says:

I set your score as my target, but my best so far is only 19.20. Feel suitably threatened

Serrit says:

For some reason I felt compelled to try and at least get 20 seconds (thanks for cunningly setting that minimum target Konstantinos :-P ). Eventually made it and I’m happy to bail out there. Good fun though – as SquareWheel mentioned, it has that Super-Hexagony vibe, and feels great (and panicked) as the last minute avoidances stack up.. until the inevitable fail.

9. Shadowcat says:

Is there a download link?

10. Contrafibularity says:

First time a game in Unity player requires me to accept cookies to enable fullscreen mode. Wtf, there are still people who allow cookies? x.x

• Stephen Roberts says:

A little odd, I didn’t have to permit cookies. On Firefox with No script I just had to permit kongregate and kongregate cdn sources.