FPS Wizard Wars: Grimoire’s Open Alpha

Izzy wizzy, let's get busy!

They’re everywhere nowadays, wizards. You’ve surely seen them hanging around with their wizard mates at bus stops, clad in garish clothes with scruffy beards, and listening to the tinny singing of enchanted stones. The enduring Harry Potter craze has reached video games too, with wizard ’em ups like Dota 2 and League of Legends drawing squillions of wizard wannabes. Grimoire: Manastorm is joining in too.

It’s a first/third-person multiplayer wizard-o-shooter, and developers Omniconnection are handing out free open alpha test keys for us muggles as fast as they can summon them.

In some dangerous alchemy, Grimoire is attempting to combine arena shooter with Dote ’em up. All yer wizards run around murdering each other with magic spells, lots of which resemble ’90s FPS staples like lightning guns, rocket launchers, plasma guns and all that (which, now that I think about it, were probably half-inspired by fantasy RPG spells in the first place). Wizards can pick from a variety of elemental classes, and level up through fighting to become better wizards.

Right now it only has three modes, with control point domination, co-op wave survival, and one-life teamplay. Another four are planned for the eventual full release.

If you want in, grab a key from here. Here, this trailer’s four months old now, so I imagine it’s come on since then, but is still the newest so:

1. brulleks says:

Team Sorceress 2.

Counter Spell.

Supernatural Selection.

etc.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Left 4 Lightning (or should that be Left 4 Electrocution?)
      Town Portal
      Half-Life Pool/Half-Life Bar

2. shinygerbil says:

Wizard Wars?

Harlander says:

No, Wizard Warz.

Though aside from Chaos, the game that this sort of genre usually makes me think of is Feud

• brulleks says:

Oh wow, I used to love Feud. Spent hours playing it on the Speccy.

A simple remake of that, with pvp, would be fantastic.

• Distec says:

THIS IS THE ONLY ONE. Every other war involving wizards can go away.

3. kaisergav says:

Could this sort of thing be the way to finally break up the grip of modern-combat FPS’s? I don’t have anything against them, but they seem to have run out of ideas and it would be nice to see something fresh and creative become popular.
    This looks like it would preserve a lot of the structure of FPS combat, but with potential to do something different.
    Perhaps also the likes of Mount and Blade: Warband. Haven’t played it, but it’s exploring medieval combat in a similar way, right?

Or maybe I’ll just go back to dreaming about the glory days of Timesplitters. Truly, life was good back then. :D

4. razgon says:

But…but, surely Cleve Blakemore has patent on the Grimoire brand, for his game which has been on the way for what..16 years now? Beware his neanderthalic strength, developers!!

• tomimt says:

How is uncle Cleve’s Grimoire doing BTW? Still unreleased?

• razgon says:

Almost there!

• Themadcow says:

2 issues remain. In Cleve speak that means a definite release date of this century *

* probably **

** OK, possibly

Anyways, boycott this impostor game. The world is finally ready for Cleve to kickstart the comeback of 90’s style RPG’s!!!! ***

*** If you ignore Grimrock, Wasteland, Torment, Pillars, Divinity and plenty of others.

• tomimt says:

I wonder if the world ends if he ever gets it done.

• Rizlar says:

Read that last bit as ‘neanderphallic’. An unwelcome mental image.

• Stellar Duck says:

Yet somehow still apt in a discussion about Cleve Blakemore.

I still haven’t forgotten the drunken evening I spent reading through a 50 page threadnaugt about him on the Codex some years back :D

5. FriendlyFire says:

So a multiplayer Ziggurat then?

6. Chuckleluck says:

I can only imagine what the people of those towns are thinking.
    *Looks out the window*
    “Honey, we’re gonna have to cancel dinner with the Jonses.”
    “Why, dear?”
    “The wizards are at it again.”

7. the_old_pk says:

you can get keys here :

link to omniconnection.net

they just added 5k

8. solymer89 says:

Within 30 seconds of starting the video I had a key sent to me. Played domination for about half an hour and I’m getting a Forge vibe, which is a good thing. Fast paced, with the feel and controls similar to CS if I recall them correctly (it’s been years since then). Maybe a little floaty feeling in the aiming but I adjusted fairly quickly. I like the classes so far as well. Ice is my favorite, it’s kit seems to play towards point blank attacks, which is good combined with teleport and stone skin as your two chosen spells. Other interesting spell of note is in the Earth kit which creates a block of earth that you become, raises you into the air and lets you target a ground position (much like Thor’s ultimate from SMITE for those that have played it), but you can change where you will land on the fly. Seemed a bit over powered at first but teleport coupled with the wizard dash is enough to get out of the blast radius so long as you see it in time.

I always enjoy tactics based games and this one is fun so far. With more polish the game will look much better, which it’s not all that bad right now. New players to this type of game might feel lost but if you read the abilities you get an idea of how to play the class. Besides, most kits are similar in that the first ability is mana free spamable, the second is a type of AoE on a short CD, the third and forth seem to synergize, both also on longer CD’s, and your two chosen abilities, which can augment your class how you want it to play. I’d recommend giving it a shot, and don’t take your death’s too seriously. You get far more points for capturing… points on the map then you do for a kill. I see a lot of team play potential with this one.

9. Shadowcat says: