How Much Is That Dogi In The Window: Judo

A childhood spent playing IK+ and an adulthood spent playing Nidhogg and games like it means that the overlapping circles in the Judo venn diagram is labelled “Graham”. That’s Judo not as in the modern martial art, but as the four-player indie fighting game on Steam Greenlight.

It’s a simple fighting game with just two moves: roll and throw. Does that have the same nuanced potential as Nidhogg’s similarly tight moveset, or is it merely limited? I don’t know, but the trailer looks sweet – mixing tense two-player fights with simply rendered scenes from the game’s single-player story, in which you earn new dogi – coloured uniforms – for winning fights. I have to explain this here because otherwise the headline might not make sense.

Here’s the trailer:

There’s no word on a release date yet (the Greenlight page projects “June 2014”, which, yeah), but the game’s site mentions a Kickstarter that’s coming soon. I hope that includes a demo so that people can try out the brawling themselves, given that it was made playable at PAX Prime late last year. If so, it’ll cost $5 to get the game through backing, with a planned release price of $10.

1. Agnosticus says:

As a fan of nidhogg i have to say, this looks boring as hell. Sry!

2. Ross Angus says:

I feel the retro-box art should read “IBM Compatible PC / Macintosh”. That art is quite lovely. So clean.

3. Player1 says:

Aaahhh, IK+… fond memories of this game I have….

4. Jakkar says:

I can’t see the appeal. The drive toward a retro design seems to induce a forgetfulness that even 25 years ago many games were deeper and more varied than this.

5. Sian says:

“It’s a simple fighting game with just two moves: roll and throw. Does that have the same nuanced potential as Nidhogg’s similarly tight moveset, or is it merely limited?”

I don’t think it’s correct to call Nidhogg’s moveset “similarly tight”, as the three different strike heights, the jumping, rolling and stupidly throwing your sword away make for a vastly more varied moveset and, from the looks of it, a much deeper game. I’d be more inclined to compare this to Dive Kick, but even that has two special moves per character on top of just jumping and attacking, and the characters’ jumps and kicks make them very, very diverse.

• Shadow says:

Yeah, with just two moves, no combinations and a tiny arena, this game doesn’t look very deep at all. The four-player mode doesn’t seem to add much, either.

haowan says:

Seems to me like the fighting part of the game is the least interesting, and maybe that’s deliberate, maybe that’s why it’s so simple, both visually and mechanically.

7. DrunkDog says:

I think this covered all things judo back in the day – Uchi Mata – 1986 (C64).

There was also a surprisingly deep set of moves and counter-techniques to employ.

8. jonfitt says:

Hmm. I don’t want to tell anyone that they have to give their work away for free; but this looks like the sort of thing you might see on Newgrounds, there would be an RPS post, we’d play it for 15 mins then move on.

9. Al Bobo says:

Ippon for that headline pun.

10. Rae says:

I-Is that MIDI for bgm? It kinda hurts my eyes so I hope they will change it before release.