Choo Choo! All Aboard The Train For Free Spooky Horror

Choo choo.

Posting about interesting-looking Russian bleak ’em up 35MM this week, I was curious to see what creator Sergey Noskov’s other games were like. Having now played The Train, I’m surprised such a pretty free horror game passed me by when he released it a year ago. It’s a nightmarish journey telling a story of a life through little vignettes and light puzzle-solving, with a cracking mood. Discovering the right mouse button is dedicated to closing your eyes filled me with dire foreboding.

The Train’s split between wandering through an increasingly spooky train, solving very gentle backtrack-y puzzles, and reliving little playable scenes from the protagonist’s life. It’s all metaphorical and psychological in a Silent Hill-ish sort of way, of course. It has jump scares it doesn’t need, and its puzzles are either backtracking to find things or repeating sections until you nail timings, but it’s a pleasant enough experience. It’s moody, it’s pretty, it’s ugly, I really dig the swirly smoke effect, and the grinding soundscapes are pretty great. And I was not at all happy when I discovered why I’d need to close my eyes.

Small details like being an able to drop coins into a busker’s hat, which isn’t signposted and seemingly has no purpose, are pleasing to me. I’m keen to see more of 35MM now, and will be playing Noskov’s more explore-y The Light tonight too.

Annoyingly, The Train doesn’t seem to have much of an official online presence I could point you at, beyond the free download on Noskov’s Dropbox and this here trailer:

Oh! And the second option in the menu is the settings – you can set the language to English there.

1. padger says:

Seems a little on rails to me.

2. Kollega says:

Funny thing… I think I used to know Ekonom, the guy who did graphics for The Light (and probably the two other Noskov games too). But we haven’t talked in years, and at some point, while clearing up my Steam friends list, I removed him from there. It’s a small Internet after all, it seems.

3. ZombieJ says:

We’ve murdered that dropbox guys…

IndieDB link instead – link to indiedb.com

• Alice O'Connor says:

Ah, see, I was wary of that IndieDB page because it’s run by someone who claims other people’s work (or, at best, isn’t clear that they’re not the maker). I’ve seen several folks capitalise on Noskov not having an official site by set up their own fake pages or putting his games on Greenlight. The IndieDB download is repackaged, and though I think all they’ve done is perhaps bung in some links to a download site, it seems a bit iffy.

4. Wrathbone says:

Still looks better than Northern Rail.

5. Tyndyll says:

Any chance someone who has already downloaded it can post the non-iffy one?

6. Scandalon says:

Yes Alice, please post the “legit copy” somewhere – Your own dropbox, Google Drive, something. I can create a Torrent or direct BitTorrentSync target or something.

Reply(system?) fail – was supposed to be to Alice’s reply…