Freeware Garden: Mega Man: Revenge of the Fallen

Hasn't fallen just yet.

I suggest you grab Mega Man: Revenge of the Fallen, a game years in the making, before Capcom intellectual property lawyers notice it and banish it into oblivion. This is a fan game using all sorts of protected trademarks and assets, but it’s far too good to ignore.

Now, I may not be a Mega Man connoisseur, but I do know a great platformer when I see one and have played enough of the series to know that Revenge of the Fallen is pretty faithful. Everything I’ve come to expect from a classic Maga Man game seems to have been included: a silly cartoon intro featuring Dr. Wily; the NES style graphics; the charging shot; the upgradeable protagonist; the complex levels; the Robot Master stages; the rush and the tougher-than-average difficulty. Irritatingly, 8-bit design sensibilities are — as authenticity dictates — also accompanied by widely spaced checkpoints and a save system that’s far too retro for me, but I suppose that’s okay.

Nope, he's still up.

The game is bonkers, brillient and huge, after all.

Mega Man has to jump and shoot his way through the 20 branching levels of an ancient robot museum and restore the precious copies of old Robot Masters that have been stolen and revived to do battle. To achieve this, you’ll have to navigate those levels, upgrade the little blue guy, find hidden rooms and murder an astonishing variety of baddies, including the three boss-like bounty hunters.

It’s a fantastic nostalgic freeware offering. Seriously, better hurry and secure a copy.

1. Frosty840 says:

Anyone know if this includes a PAL mode for those of us who grew up on the UK’s slightly slower consoles?
    Unlikely, I know, but it’d be a lovely novelty.

2. Jakkar says:

Ah, instant death spike pits.

No thank you. Give me a good, precise control scheme and I’ll play a high risk game. I won’t waste 66% of my play time repeating scenes through trial and error because of a game’s failings or fetishisation of primitive designs.

Weird masochistic obsession.

• mukuste says:

While not having played this freeware version, I can say that Megaman in general has the most precise control scheme ever seen in a platformer. There is no inertia, no acceleration, you simply press right and your guy moves right immediately and stops when you let go. It’s super tight.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

“Not invented a week ago” isn’t the same as “primitive.”

Think of it as a side-scrolling Dark Souls if it helps. Or, it’s just a kind of game that’s not for you, and that’s OK.

3. Darth Gangrel says:

“a silly cartoon intro featuring Dr. Willy”, Lol, Dr Willy? This isn’t a S.EXE article you know, his name is Dr Wily.

Oakreef says:

Mega Man Unlimited (fan game) is the only Mega Man game I’ve actually played and it’s bastard hard. Are the real games the same way?

• theapeofnaples says:

Yep, even by old gaming standards they’re pretty tough.

• Turkey says:

1 is pretty tough, but I don’t remember having that much trouble with 2 and 3.

• pepperfez says:

Quick Man’s stage is enough to qualify 2 as bastard hard.

• Nixitur says:

Having played the first three completely blind two or so years ago, I’ve found that Mega Man 1 is fairly easy, 2 is tricky and 3 is brutal.
          Seriously, the Doc Robot stages really just aren’t fair. You’re telling me I have to kill two Mega Man 2 bosses in the same stage without getting a Game Over?
          I was never able to finish 3, but had quite a lot of fun with 1 and 2.

• Dominic White says:

Fan-games do tend to be a notch or two harder than official releases, for obvious reasons. Unlimited in particular is somewhat rougher than the core series, but not by too much. Well, except for the secret level, which is downright unfair.

Another great MM fangame is Mega Man Minus Infinity. Technically it’s a rom-hack of MM4 for the NES, but it’s closer to a total conversion mod, and does stuff that really pushes the NES to its limits.

• Baines says:

It varies by game, and by experience.

Megaman 1 wasn’t *that* bad to me as a kid, but it didn’t have a password feature, so you had to beat it in one sitting. It did get harder in Wily’s castle.

Megaman 2 is generally considered the easiest. It is one of the examples of Japan deciding that non-Japanese gamers didn’t like overly difficult games, so its Western release saw an easier difficulty level added to the game as the default, with the original difficulty renamed to “Hard”. Even beyond the difficulty change, MM2 just seemed easier though.

Megaman 3 was what I personally want to recall being the hardest of the NES games, but I don’t believe I ever finished 5 or 6, so I can’t really say for sure.

If you go outside the NES, Megaman 8 is probably the easiest.

As for fan games, they tend to be harder than the real games were. The people making fan games tend to be fans, the kinds of people who have little trouble with the originals. The same kind of effect is true for rom hacks, though it isn’t necessarily as bad as it is in rom hacks. (A lot of rom hacks are built around making something as difficult as possible while still being completable. At least fan games tend to be built around more realistic difficulties.)

• smisk says:

From what I’ve heard Unlimited is pretty difficult. MM 2 and 3 aren’t bad with a little trial and error.

• Dare_Wreck says:

I’ve beaten all the regular Mega Man games, and even I gave up on Mega Man Unlimited. Its difficulty made it such that it ceased being fun way too fast.

5. BTAxis says:

Aw, joystick support is pretty limited. Can’t control using the D-pad, only the analog stick.

6. LordNeidhart says:

Well damn I’m excited now, it’s nice to get more Mega Man games considering Capcom’s infinite radio silence regarding the franchise.

7. bonuswavepilot says:

Watched a youtube, looks pretty slick! While I have played my share of platformers, I never really put many hours into the Mega Man games – watching the video, I realised that the ladder jump/fall physics from Shovel Knight are very much in the Mega Man style. Those fucking ladders killed me an awful lot.

8. vorador says:

Thanks for the heads up!! Even tough i suck at playing megaman.

This reminds me of whatever happened to the Streets of Rage PC Remake. A titanic effort of unifying and extending the three games, with several new features….and managed to release it days before Sega came with the DMCA hammer, only for Sega to release the SoR games emulated on a shitty compilation.

Nowadays fans make better new episodes for classic games.