Sniper Elite Spin-off Zombie Army Trilogy Announced

Oh. O-kay then.

Yeah, I guess that is Adolf Hitler as a burning zombie demon sort of monster. Okay then. I imagine that’s what you’d end up with if you formed a committee to design the video game villain players would feel least bad about killing. One person insisted he be a litterbug too, leaving a trail of Twix wrappers and Coke cans, but it was decided that’d dilute the idea. This chap’s the villain of Zombie Army Trilogy, a package revamping Rebellion’s two Sniper Elite spin-off Nazi Zombie Army games and boshing in a third chapter along with female zombie-hunters and other new bits.

It’s the usual Nazi Zombie dealio: trash the undead across campaign missions in single-player or co-op, watching their rotting bodies explode from the inside in slow-motion as your bullets rip through them. Only this time Zombie Hitler (video games) has some really, really nasty zombies in a new campaign. It’s a got new Horde mode too, and four female characters to round out the roster. The original two games benefit from new dismemberment, shiny effects, sounds, and animations in this revamp-o-bundle.

The Zombie Army Trilogy is due on March 6th, priced at £29.99. The Steam page notes that folks who already own one Nazi Zombie game can get 30% off pre-ordering or 60% for both. It’s a shame that’s confined to pre-orders, but I suppose at least such people already know if they’d be interested in more. Shame the new bits aren’t available separately too. Anyway, have a trailer:

1. Grumpyjoe says:

Now, I’ve got the first one after I already had Sniper Elite v2. Thought it would be more of the same, but (unless this is just me) – there is no ‘sniping’ as such.

Zombies simply know where you are and come straight towards you. No stealth. One of the main reasons to snipe – stealth, lining up your targets, gone. At that point the sniper rifle becomes pretty much useless and you fall back to the much less fun hand weapons like the machine guns and grenades.

I’ve tried to have fun but it becomes a chore after a while. Is it just me? Am I a Jeremy Loudpants who just attracts zombies? Am I missing something?

• ztorm says:

There may be no stealth but there’s definitely a lot of sniping to do !
      You have to use pretty much everything in your (arsenal esp. during “siege” setpieces), but there’s a lot you can do with just the sniper rifle, including “noscope” shooting (something you’d never do in Sniper Elite but works great here). The pace is entirely different and took me out of my comfort zone at first, but I had fun playing through NZA 1 & 2 once, even though I prefer the sneaky approach of the “”serious”” Sniper Elite games.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

“Am I a Jeremy Loudpants”

If you aren’t, you should be.

3. Anthile says:

Well, is that supposed to be demon, zombie or ghost Hitler?

Phasma Felis says:

I believe that’s Flaming Demon Zombie Hitler, or 04/37/19/64 on the Random Villain Table.

(I approve of this)

4. galaxion says:

Dear Rebellion,
    why don’t you use some of those amazing IP’s you have from 2000AD.

Could you imagine Strontium Dog or ABC Warriors games?
    Their Rogue Trooper game was pretty disappointing, as was their Judge Dredd game.
    But one can only hope, eh?

• Neurotic says:

Dredd vs. Death was alright, esp. for the time. But yeah, ABC Warriors would be awesome, and maybe a Halo Jones game, where you shoot someone in your first ten minutes of play, then a year later the laser gets there and kills ’em. :D

• Kollega says:

Dear Rebellion,
      Why won’t you just make a sequel to Evil Genius already? Not a crappy Facebook pay-to-enjoy port, but a right proper sequel.

Sincerely, Kollega.

5. DanMan says:

So, they took SE2 and changed the enemy textures, huh?

• jonahcutter says:

Well, that’s pretty much what they did with the first two Zombie Army spinoffs. The basic mechanics are the same as the Sniper Elite games, but with enemies changed to various types of zeds.

It’s pulpy, schlocky, occult-type horror. Within that it’s pretty well done. The visuals and atmosphere are straight out of an old horror comic book. And the games’ soundtracks have had a good, John Carpenter-esque, 80’s-synth vibe.

6. Sandepande says:

I like these. Such shameless, gratuituous, base fun.

7. Dominic White says:

I gotta admit, I’m kinda looking forward to this, especially if they significantly upgrade the first two episodes (which I got for near-nothing). I never got on too well with the Sniper Elite games, but the Zombie Army spinoffs are pretty good co-op meatgrinder fun, especially when you’ve got a full party and maximum enemy density for maximum slaughter.

A more polished, fleshed out version sounds good to me. The three-episodic nature culminating in a fight against Demon Hitler also gives me a twinge of nostalgia for shareware era gaming.

8. vorador says:

Well, i found the Zombie Army spinoffs more fun than the core Sniper Elite titles. So i’m going to get this.