Teen Time Travel: Life Is Strange

Square Enix have released the first of three developer diaries for upcoming episodic adventure Life Is Strange. As well as containing some background info about developers DONTNOD, creators of Remember Me, the video contains new footage from the game and discussion about the plot and themes. It’s a pleasantly tranquil video, in which the team are seen playing ping pong in slow motion while discussing independent film and the creation of their teen girl protagonist. The discussion takes place in a voiceover rather than during the slow motion table tennis, which is a shame.

I love the setting and I’m intrigued by the time reversal ability, even if I suspect it’ll turn out to be the equivalent of the Big Decision Moments in Wolf Among Us, which is to say it’ll be used a couple of times per episode and have less of an impact than expected. If I’m proven wrong, I’ll have my first hat supper of 2015 when the first episode is released on January 30th.

Whatever else the time twisting might mean for the game, I hope it doesn’t detract too much from the setting. Troubled teens with a mystery to solve, while musing about bad romance, great hair and the tunes riding high in the hit parade. Youths!

My favourite part of the video is the bit with the cigarette. Given the amount of smoke that thing is letting off, I think it might actually be a tiny flare.

1. wu wei says:

Is it wrong that I’d rather have a PC version of The World Ends With You?

2. SlimShanks says:

This looks… fantastic. Maybe this just clicks with me, as my teen years in a small town aren’t that far behind me. It’s really nice to see someone seemingly taking this blackest of experiences seriously. I will be even more pleased if this game avoids the whole coming of age gimmick, because we can have young characters without them needing to change drastically. Believe it or not, some kids are very mature, much more so than you or me. So it bugs me when everyone below 20 in games is a flailing retard. If these devs actually have some understanding of the subject matter they are working with (they probably do), this should be a great story.
    Hurrah for female characters who aren’t totally boring and cliched!

• DanMan says:

Having watched this video, I’m seriously wondering if I should go scour Remember Me for for brilliance, as I more or less dismissed that after not hearing anything good about it. Hurrah for female characters who aren’t totally boring and cliched!

Some people find the climbing around boring and didn’t like that the game is linear. The combat is also a bit…. special. Other than that, it’s a joy. I don’t regret spending the 10 bucks on it. So get it in a sale, I guess.

• heretic says:

Agree! I would recommend to play it in the easiest difficulty just to have a walk around the amazing environments that the team created of Neo Paris, with a badass female protagonist to boot :D

• SlimShanks says:

Thanks for the replies! Definitely gonna try to play Remember Me in the near future. It’s surprising how many games I’ve loved that I never really heard much about. And I follow RPS, so I should know about everything!

• Joga says:

Definitely agree about playing it on easy. I know some people complained about the combat getting repetitive or tedious, but it wasn’t that bad on easy. But the environments and characters were excellent, and it was definitely worth playing through (though definitely wait for a sale – I picked it up a few months ago for like 5 bucks).

I’m very much looking forward to Life is Strange.

• AyeBraine says:

I think I played it on Normal, and didn’t at all bounce off the combat. Can’t say that the action gameplay wowed me (although also I can’t say that anything about it was half-assed or inferior), maybe the overall impression was marred because of an uneven script… and most of all, because this wonderful memory-bending mechanic got lost in all the brawling and hero stuff.

I mean, you literally turn the tide of an uprising and shift the balance of power with the power of your mind and by manipulating people’s regrets, beliefs, their grief and pain… so compared to that, smashing faces (even in cyberspace – and maybe especially in cyberspace) was a slight letdown.

• defunct says:

Remember Me was a wonderful little game that totally surprised me. I got it really cheap, too, like these other people. I loved the dream manipulation part. I didn’t love the linearness of it, but to tell the story, they kinda had to do that. I don’t regret buying it (on sale) and don’t regret playing it. I actually LIKED the combat. I thought it was a neat direction. Lots of neat things in the game, although I was also hesitant to get it because of bad reviews.

Didn’t realize this was the same company. I had already seen this game on sale during one of the winter sales on some site (maybe a few), and thought about getting it. It does look good, but they showed a murder in a school and couldn’t handle that. It was too real. I buy games to escape this horrible world. Not be reminded of it. The French are great about that, though. They’ve been doing it for years with their movies. Some are quite good, though.

3. AyeBraine says:

So nice! They DID revisit the best part of their first game! A very fortunate turn of events, I think. Remember Me was so pretty and polished, and of course the memory-bending was so unique and nicely done. So it’s all that, plus all the hipsterness being channeled into its natural application =)

Now, it’s still a little weird for me, like all games made by French-language developers (yeah it may sound strange, but you can always tell). Especially the English writing – does it sound off for native speakers too?