Skywind Continues To Move Morrowind Into Skyrim

Ah, Morrowind‘s Sheogorad region, famed for its mushroom trees, its frigid waters, its, uh, rocks of Dela’thur and the brutish, erm, winds of Velopis. And elves. I bet it’s got elves in.

Look, so, Morrowind is one of those games I never really played. RPGs are my blind spot, especially anything pre-2005, so my posting this has nothing to do with residual affection for Bethesda’s weirdest world. Instead, it’s because a remake of it might prompt me to go back to it, and because whenever I post a video of Morrowind-in-the-Skyrim-engine mod Skywind, you all make such lovely cooing noises about the old game. So watch, coo, and stoke the fires of my, er, uh… Karapór?

The Elder Scrolls wiki tells me that Sheogorad is a wild maritime province consisting of 28 islands, the remoteness of which causes them to be full of bandits, sorcerers and vampires. There are no rocks of dela’thur, I made those up, but there are lots of “pillar-like menhirs”, and though it sounds like one, menhirs isn’t a fantasy word but an actual thing. Good job, language.

Skywind isn’t available to download yet, though the development build has already reached further than simply refreshing the landscape and has started to implement quests and combat. These videos are designed simply to attract new people to the project.

1. BenAttenborough says:

Of course menhirs are an actual thing. Obelix used to deliver them

• Wowbagger says:

This was my first thought too, educated by cartoons to a worrying degree.

• brulleks says:

…and crush Roman soldiers with them.

• phelix says:

And bards. Those pesky nightly torturers.

Graham Smith says:

I read a dozen Asterix books but don’t remember that. I guess I just thought of them as… obelisks.

• sapien82 says:

I still have my Asterix and Obelix collection! :)

Graham the Obelisks were what the Romans used as copied from the Egyptians , the Menhir were shaped smooth stones which the celts/ gauls pagan cultures used

2. Berzee says:

I like Morrowind because it would automatically create you a character based on a quiz about sweet rolls, and because of that falling wizard.

(coo)

Harlander says:

I miss question-based character generation. I remember me and a friend messing with the Daggerfall demo’s chargen for ages, much more than playing the actual demo itself

• Kala says:

Oh, yes. Daggerfall’s char gen was great. Answer whatever question gets you the ebony dagger!
        I also really enjoyed the custom generation and the massive amount of detail, such as setting your advantages and disadvantages, and how that relates to the level slider. (my characters were able to heal quick when resting, but were afraid of spiders or some such ;p)

teije says:

Ultima IV had this as well, answering the questions posed by the gypsy fortune teller. I did I just dream that?

• MacTheGeek says:

Not a dream. Ultima IV’s character generator was just one of the ways it broke new ground in cRPGs. From the Ultima wiki:

“The classic character creation sequence, where the Gypsy gives the player a quiz of the Eight Virtues to determine starting Profession is featured in later Ultimas. It originally appeared in Ultima IV, where she used tarot cards and an abacus to show whether a given virtue was eliminated (black stone) or retained (white stone).”

Phasma Felis says:

And God help you if you drew the Shepherd class, whose virtue was Humility (i.e. they sucked at everything) and whose starting town was Magincia, which was totally super humble on account of it had been leveled by the gods for being too not-humble, and was therefore inhabited solely by poisonous swamps and very humble ghosts. It had no functional shops and was located on a tiny island which could only be escaped via ship (which you did not have) or via moongate (have fun sittin’ waitin’ for weeks until the moon phases are right, hope you spawned with enough food because the ghosts sure aren’t selling you any).

3. Kala says:

Be careful what you wish for, sir!

I’m tempted to post my lengthy Elderscrolls Retrospective, comparing Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. But it’d (rightfully) get a hearty tl;dr :P

(For the record, in order of personal preference and enjoyment, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Skyrim, Oblivion)

Therefore I shall simply coo at the pretty video. Coo!

• Rao Dao Zao says:

You should post them anyway, I once played all five in a row and wrote my own thoughts. It’s one series where each entry has changed quite significantly from the one before, so there should be plenty to compare.

• Kala says:

Welp, that encouragement was all I needed ;p

link to litcritessays.wordpress.com

(if it reads more like a forum post than a blog post, it’s cause I posted it on a private forum a few years back and just copy pasta’d onto a defunct wordpress account)

By the way:

“This is going to be a controversial opinion, but I think Morrowind‘s lack of freeform fast travel is a good thing.

Without fast travel, you’ve got to be much savvier about how you get around. Yes, you can spend a lot of time just wandering, but with so much to discover along the way it’s always worth it, at least the first time. Beyond that, journeys need planning if you want to cheese them (no such thing as a free lunch) — take the Silt Strider to Balmora, then another to Ald’ruhn and then on to Khuul, then grab a boat to Dagon Fel… Or drop by a Mage’s Guild for another step. (The ancient Dunmer strongholds’ propylon indices continue to evade me, alas, or that’d be another set of jumpspots.)

The world just feels more real if you have to deal with it instead of skipping over the top (yes, I am aware this is a fairly masochistic school of thought after the twentieth Cliff Racer has descended from on high to mete out divine justice). I’d rather you raced over the land with the Boots of Speed than missed it entirely.”

^

couldn’t agree more with that.

(we disagree violently about Daggerfall though ;p)

• Rao Dao Zao says:

Don’t get me wrong; negative as I was about Daggerfall in the write-up, I have to say that it still haunts my dreams to this day. I did persevere with the main plot despite all that, and I spent a long time just wandering around doing stuff. It is a beautiful game in its own way, and the world is a richer place for its existence.

• Triglav says:

Amen, Kala.

I played a single game of Daggerfall for over a year back then and the creepy howl of a skeleton in a dungeon still haunts me. Not to mention King of Worms’ pranks.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Please do post them, I would love to read them! My order is Morrowind, Daggerfall, Oblivion=Arena, Skyrim FWIW (I’ve always felt Arena to be a misunderstood, highly atmospheric game that should not be denigrated because of how much better Daggerfall was), but I would love to see a big old retrospective written by someone TES literate!

• Buuurr says:

That depends. I remember a mod for Oblivion that completely did a whole different main quest line, side quests and inventory system, weapon system and crafting system that had nothing to do with the Elder Scrolls lore. It didn’t take those guys that long to create it either (maybe a year). I’m thinking they bit off more then they can chew. Not that there is anything wrong with ambition but as I said, Bethesda will have theirs out first – complete with a revamped Morrowwind province.

• Kala says:

Oh, I dunno about TES literate, I just have opinions and stuff :s

But I posted it onto a wordpress thingy:

link to litcritessays.wordpress.com

and Mr. Rao Dao Zao linked his above as well (which is far more organised, splitting them up per game):

link to raodaozao.net

4. Kreeth says:

In my memory this is pretty much what Morrowind looked like anyway, but with the fog taken out.

5. Monggerel says:

1. The ghost of a god is no man
    2. Vivec committed no crime
    3. To the Dwemer and oblivion belong this treasure and they are there dead

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

“Vivec committed no crime”

…nope, that was Vehk! Totally different, praise the Almsivi Tribunal!

• Mormont says:

FOUL MURDER

6. Buuurr says:

Bethesda will be done another game before this thing comes out…

• Chuckleluck says:

That’s what I was thinking. I don’t know when Skywind started, but it seems more beneficial to wait for a new TES game and jump in to Morrowindifying it immediately.

• Grey Cap says:

I’m pretty sure they started on Skywind as soon as Skyrim came out–and abandoned their remake of Morrowind in the Oblivion engine to do it. Even a really big group of volunteers (and I don’t know how many people are actually working on it) can’t work as quickly as a professional studio.

• Buuurr says:

That depends. I remember a mod for Oblivion that completely did a whole different main quest line, side quests and inventory system, weapon system, magic and crafting system that had nothing to do with the Elder Scrolls lore. It didn’t take those guys that long to create it either (maybe a year). I’m thinking they bit off more then they can chew. Not that there is anything wrong with ambition but as I said, Bethesda will have theirs out first – complete with a revamped Morrowwind province.

• Thurgret says:

Nehrim? It was excellent. They are, apparently, working on a total conversion for Skyrim too.

• Predatoro01 says:

Nehrim actually took 4 years to make, it was from a german studio you can look it up on their website, and yes they are working on a total conversion for skyrim too it’s called Enderal.

Link to their website: link to sureai.net

Don’t get me wrong i would love to wander trough morrowind again but i think skywind lost morrowind’s soul in the process, sure you got the quests and landscape but what you are missing is the ridiculous amount of customization and enchanting that were possible in morrowind because of the engine.

7. iainl says:

Sadly, my memories of Morrowind were generally of painfully slow trudging because the walking speed is so poor and running kills your stamina after about ten seconds, Even Oblivion is less painful to play from that point of view, and Skyrim’s actually pretty pleasant.

Apparently there are cheaty hacks around that, but then I’m not really playing the game.

• Kala says:

/grumbles something about the journey being the reward

• phanatic62 says:

I’m guessing you missed the Boots of Blinding Speed. They fortified Speed by 200 pts, although they caused 100% blindness and thus needed some spells or items to use reasonable. Eventually if you were good enough you can also enchant an item with 1pt constant effect Levitation, which along with the boots would allow you to fly anywhere at a pretty fast clip. If you were looking to go great distances the Silt Strider/boats were still your fastest option, along with the Guild Guides at the Mages guild and mark/recall spells. None of these are nearly as fast as fast travel in the later games, but I always felt those were immersion-breaking.

• Chuckleluck says:

The ONLY way to travel is with a scroll of Icarian Flight.

particlese says:

The only way to travel is by imbibing some 200 levitation potions made with a maxed-out alchemy skill, from trauma roots and racer plums from the magical item-duplicating apothecary in Balmora.

• Kreeth says:

Yeah, Boots of Blinding Speed plus enchanted ring with a second of 100% magic resist = running around everywhere at a really good clip. Without it the game’s almost unbearable.

Bluerps says:

I hated Morrowind at first because of the walking speed. So I just set my speed attribute to 80 using the console. Then I played the game long enough to rise to the top position in all organisations (minus the ones that are incompatible with ones I liked better, so no House Redoran or House Hlaalu, for example) and finish most quests the game has.

You are right, technically I wasn’t really playing the game, but the game I played instead was pretty awesome.

8. Skeletor68 says:

The sense of exploration and really inhabiting a world hasn’t been matched since for me. Oblivion and Skyrim are prettier and do some better things with the combat and magic. Morrowind’s weirdness and imbalance makes it far more interesting though.

Content wasn’t gated in the same way with finding yet another useless iron sword until you level and suddenly bandits are jumping around with magic doohickeys and magnificent armour everywhere. I found most items and magic properties in Oblivion and Skyrim to be quite boring. Being able to levitate and jump across most of the game world though? Stellar stuff. Amazing items and dangerous areas existed no matter your level. The lack of fast travel and a compass meant getting frequently lost and hunting for caves from poor NPC directions forever. When you did find an interesting area it was always a rush. Underground boats and burials in Dagon Fel…

• Kala says:

“The lack of fast travel and a compass meant getting frequently lost and hunting for caves from poor NPC directions forever.”

This is a really important thing for me. I’ll admit it was flawed (I think it was later patched, but the original journal to try and keep track of your quests was maddening) but so many modern titles give way too much help to the player. And you’d think that would be good; you’d think convenience would cut down on annoyances, and in a way it does, but the cost is so incredibly high.

Because what you lose is any sense of adventure or randomness or actually having to find something out for yourself and the accomplishment that comes with that. When it’s just ‘instantly travel to x marked on the map’ and it’s all done for you.

It feels patronising, and like pandering to people who have low attention spans. On a recent review of Taken 3, a 12 year old wrote:

“The only problem I found with it was something my Dad said: everything was over-explained. Based on that I think that the writers thought their audience was going to consist of dumb people.”

I think that’s a problem with a lot of modern gaming, as well.

• Cinek says:

“and like pandering to people who have low attention spans” – these are a minority of people complaining on that. Majority is in mid-30s or late 20s, got children to take care of, and well… life that doesn’t allow them to sit 5 hours day by day on a single game. Cause that’s pretty much what’s required to fully enjoy Morrowind, journeys it offers and really explore the depth of this title with game offering so little help in doing that. I still remember my first playthrough, ages ago, with notepad and a multi-hour sessions that never could stop in a right moment due to being afraid that if I’ll quit now I’ll forget one important detail that later will make me unable to finish the quest.

• Buuurr says:

L2 memory?

• fish99 says:

Even with all the dumbing down Skyrim is still a 250 hr game, so it’s not exactly friendly to people with limited free time. Not fast travelling only adds maybe 20% to a playthrough (I know because I’ve finished the game with and without).

• Distec says:

It’s still a huge game, but it’s easier to do chunk sessions and you don’t feel anywhere near as lost when you return from a break. By comparison, Morrowind can feel daunting if you’ve put it down for a while.

I wasted many hours of my youth wandering through Morrowind, and I lament many of its features that got lost in the sequels. But I also just… really don’t have time for an experience like that any more. I’ve started a few fresh playthroughs since then, but life inevitably has other plans and I find myself frustrated with the journal system when I return. That said, I would love to take a week of PTO to just immerse myself in it again.

In my ideal world, Morrowind would still be the template Elder Scrolls experience, and I can leave it to modders to add conveniences.

• fish99 says:

I’ve no problem with the game maintaining a quest list and journal for you so you don’t need to remember stuff, but the quest markers in Skyrim are too much. They show exactly where everything is and take most of the sense of exploration out of the game.

As for fast travel, the game could have just the carriages to go between major cities.

• Deckard97 says:

That is precisely why I haven’t been able to complete a first playthrough of Morrowind that I started last year. I love the immersive world but when life gets in the way and I come back to it a few weeks later, I can’t remember where the hell I parked. Playing a game like this is as much a lifestyle choice as a gaming preference.

• Kala says:

My partner had that issue when he first played Morrowind – but the journal system was abysmal which contributed to him being unable to pick it back up again and abandoning it early on.

Annoyingly, he can’t cope with old graphics, so I have to wait for Skywind for him to actually experience (a form of) Morrowind :(

• Deckard97 says:

If the dated graphics are too much I highly recommend the Morrowind Overhaul. Very user friendly for installation.

link to nexusmods.com?

• Kala says:

Cheers for that, passed it on to him :)

• Kala says:

Well, yes :)

I’m in that bracket (30) as is my partner (41).

Doesn’t necessarily need to be about time devoted per session as to whether or not there is fast travel or other forms of hand holding. That’s surely more to do with approach/philosophy than how much time you need to dedicate (the game has large amounts of total hours to devote, regardless).

Actually, I think it’s the next generation, the youngens of the internet generation, who prefer everything delivered on an easy-mode silver platter and can’t bear to wait for anything to delay their instant gratification…

Though I’m aware that makes me sound like a grumpy old (wo)man.

(…I would be with you on that point re: MMOs, though. I don’t think our lives really have room for those any more due to the time sink issue. And WoW is all about the instant gratification over the ‘journey is the reward’ approach, but it’s still too much of a time commitment overall ;p way more than single player games, somehow).

Swordfishtrombone says:

Try him with this:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

I installed it yesterday: it looks fantastic, whilst hopefully not deferring too much from the vanilla experience. It’s a doddle to set up, too.

• Geebs says:

Morrowind is the only game to have done survival properly. Going out in the wilderness felt really exposed, especially the first time you head off with a vague set of directions to look for the Ashlander camp. Then night falls, an ash storm starts up, you catch a blight illness from a Kagouti and suddenly realise you didn’t bring the right scrolls… Great stuff, and none of that die-of-starvation-one-hour-after-eating-a-whole-wolf bollocks.

• Deckard97 says:

I’d throw in a nod to Skyrim with the Frostfall mod. Completely transformed the way I approached that game.

• Chuckleluck says:

One of my favorite things about Morrowind was the way the game treated your character. Even if you played a fellow dark elf, just about everyone hated you. And unlike Skyrim or Oblivion, you don’t learn you’re somebody special until the middle of the main quest.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Actually large parts of Morrowind were leveled just like Oblivion (it’s all visible in the game editor), it’s just that the bandits changing overnight to Elven Armor in Oblivion made it really obvious. Which proves that it’s all a matter of perception: most people want to meet a good challenge, not a piece of cake or be insta-destroyed, and so leveled content is what they want. They just don’t want to see the gears behind it.

9. vorador says:

The last Elder Scrolls with a well designed UI.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

So true, I’ve said for years that Morrowind’s UI is an underrated modern masterpiece. One click to tell the game you want to do something, everything you could want is right there in front of you, one click to do what you have to do, one click to close the menu. Perfect. The 300 foot tall, tabbed monstrosities of the following games were, by contrast, totally unsuited to the PC, and just made doing anything so much slower.

teije says:

True. Been dabbling with Skyrim recently and I find the UI to do anything atrocious.

• Yxquillio says:

SkyUI mod helps a lot with the UI problems of Skyrim, it makes all the menus sooo much nicer =) I have tried to play morrowind, and enjoyed what I did play, but some of the directions from NPCs were terrible! Thats why I like Skyrim’s journal better. The one click menu in morrowind was amazing though, Bethesda should bring that back with TESVI where ever it is set.

10. WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Morrowind is my second favourite game after Deus Ex ,and I will always maintain that no other game has ever come close to designing a better open world or giving the player such power to make their own way within that world. Gothic and Ultima did the mechanics stuff well, but weren’t as culturally or philosophically literate as MW, so they lose points for me.

Also, did anyone else feel that design wise Fallout 3/felt like Oblivion with guns, while New Vegas felt like Morrowind with guns? Was that just me? Regardless, I find there to be a big crossover between fans for each pair.

(Coo)

11. Grey Cap says:

Good God man, don’t play Morrowind. You shuffle around like my arthritic grandmother, hitting with one of every ten swings of your sword. Soon you run out of stamina (breathing really takes it out of your outlander ass) and collapse to the floor, soon to be devoured by a passing scrib.

Further up the comments section people are saying that “the Boot of Blinding Speed are the only way to play” and yes, you do have to use glitches and exploits to make Morrowind playable but no, that’s not good game design. Morrowind was written by gods, but the actual game mechanics are awful. Just bad, bad, bad. You, mister Smith, deserve better, and luckily Skywind will eventually give it to you.

(Probably too late for me to coo, eh?)

• Geebs says:

I never bothered with the boots, but getting an amulet which essentially negated stamina was pretty easy – and anyway, running out of stamina just meant it was time to cast levitation.

• malkav11 says:

Skyrim is made by the same people with most of the same bad design decisions except they took out a lot of stuff that let the player customize their experience and do things that you can’t even dream of in Skyrim. Also added new bad design decisions. (And made levelling a fair bit better and combat very slightly better, although the former’s nonetheless a long way from a really good, characterful levelling system like you can find in plenty of other RPGs, and the latter is still bad.) I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love Skyrim, but Morrowind is in several core respects a better experience, and the ways Skyrim is better are mostly not the good bits of Elder Scrolls games in the first place, and still fall far short of games that actually do them well.

Skywind will be prettier, perhaps. It won’t be Morrowind.

• wondermoth says:

The Boots of Blinding Speed are not a glitch/exploit. They’re a quest reward.

12. Caelyn Ellis says:

I once tried playing Morrowind while I was sick in bed with a really nasty flu that caused weird hallucinations and fever dreams. The end result is about three days of memories in which I can’t distinguish between Morrowind and real life.

• Herbal Space Program says:

Wait, Morrowind isn’t real life?

• Bury The Hammer says:

When I was relatively young (maybe about 17) – old enough to drink but not old enough to have left home – I was drinking a lot of wine and playing Morrowind. I’d been playing a lot of Morrowind at that time, my guess is it was summer in-between A-level years. I must have drunk quickly without realising or had an empty stomach, because the booze hit me very hard – I collapsed on the floor.

When I came to, my parents were standing over me, and trying to lift me to my feet, but I was extremely confused and disoriented. I pleaded with my mother to get me to Balmora, that I could take the silt strider there.

She said I was talking gibberish, but little did she know that I had a bed there where I could rest. I knew what I was doing.

13. iainl says:

Thanks – I never found those boots, but I think I’ll do that if/when I go back to the game (possibly now I’ve got one of those Argos Tablet things, come to think).

14. Kala says:

Oh, re: Morrowind, it seems appropriate to post this creepy pasta :)

link to creepypasta.wikia.com

15. celticdr says:

I remember having a battle-mage character with ebony armour and flying shoes (I don’t remember where I got them but it was my favourite item in all the TES games because it meant I could fly).

Also I never ended up finishing the main quest – I have this OCD habit of doing all of the minor quests before I finish the main quest – when I realised this was impossible in Skyrim (because the minor quests auto-generate) I actually broke my habit and finished a game for once.

Really looking forward to Skywind, I hope it gets released before the next official TES game, oh and I hope it has flying shoes.

Edit: I must have had the Boots of Blinding Speed with a +1 levitation ring as mentioned above – simply the best way to travel.

particlese says:

I’ve usually not been a fan of TES fan music for whatever reason, but the bit in this video hit the nail right on the head, at least for me.

An appropriate mix of a Skyrim theme and Morrowind tone, and generally not trying to sound like a 5000-piece orchestra (with 3000 identical symbols) like some of Mr. Soule’s stuff. Excellent! (I have little beef with the latter, and I do enjoy it; it’s just not as much my bag as the calmly epic Morrowind music. This video’s isn’t quite there, but it’s close enough that I enjoyed it in the same way.)

17. dethtoll says:

I have tried so hard to like this series, but to be honest the only one that didn’t make me fall asleep was Skyrim, and even that one I never finished (thinking of getting back into it though.)

I tried Arena and gave it about 4 hours and then gave up. Daggerfall was a hot mess. Oblivion was playable, but bland slurry.

And then there’s Morrowind. I’ve bounced off this game like 6-7 times and each time I always bounce off for the same reasons: it is unplayable, clunky DnD garbage. After slogging through a mountain of infodump dialogue (I guess since they didn’t have voice acting they figured it was okay for NPCs to speak books at you) it become obvious why racial differences suck, because they mean actually playing the race I want to play (Khajiit) is tantamount to suicide. (Also a problem with Oblivion. I am so glad they got rid of it for Skyrim.) But the thing I hate the most is the combat system, which is basically:

YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU HIT YOU MISS YOU MISS YOU MISS

which is unacceptable in a fully-3D game. I will put up with that in a 2D game with sprites like Fallout — and only Fallout if I’m being honest — but not here. And then, after 30 minutes of trying to kill ONE GUY, you finally succeed… and then a cliff racer sneaks up behind you and puts it up your butt.

It’s not the worst game I ever played, but it’s certainly the worst Elder Scrolls game I ever played.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

If you don’t like Elder Scrolls games, it makes sense that you most especially didn’t like the most Elder Scrollsiest of the lot.

For the record though, all the things you listed as faults are without hyperbole among the reasons why it is one of my very favourite games.

• dethtoll says:

That’s fine, I wasn’t looking to be friends with you anyway.

• Kala says:

Heaven forfend you might have to actually READ SOMETHING :p

Though yeah, for the record, speaking books at you *is* better than infinite loops of “I used to be an adventurer like you but then I took an arrow in the knee.” “What is it…? Dragons?” “I work with my mother, to sell fruits and vegetables. It’s fun most days, but hard work.”

• dethtoll says:

“I don’t like infodump dialogue” != “I don’t like reading,” but do continue to conflate disliking bad design decisions with anti-intellectualism, it’s funny.

If I want to read trashy fantasy novels I’ll go to the library. The short lines minor NPCs might say in Skyrim et al. may be repetitive and uninteresting after a while, but it’s more realistic than multi-paragraph blather full of nonsense words. I WAS JUST ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS, YOU ASSHOLE

• Jason Moyer says:

I didn’t mind that each NPC in Morrowind had a ton of dialog, moreso that the vast majority of it was shared between characters of the same class/rank/etc. By the time you leave Seyda Neen or whatever it’s called, you’re just turbo-clicking on every dialog option in the hope that they unlock some new information or quests in your journal.

The books, on the other hand, are basically all amazing, and the best books in Oblivion/Skyrim are the ones that were written specifically for Morrowind. Michael Kirkbride should really be in charge of The Elder Scrolls lore in an official capacity. The alien weirdness that he injected into the series is the primary reason Morrowind clicked with me while most other fantasy nonsense bounces right off.

• malkav11 says:

The idea that having more than two sentences in a given dialogue is bad design is pretty anti-intellectual, I gotta say.

• dethtoll says:

That’s not what I said and you damn well know it. Are you being disingenuous to fuel a superiority complex?

18. Janie H says:

Dark Elves are slavers. Why have anything to do with them? So many people in Skyrim,not just Dark Elves, are racist,but the culture of Morrowind is based on the practice of slavery. Really, I wouldn’t waste another second on Skywind and wouldn’t have it included in the already nasty Skyrim plots and subplots.

19. rps doesnt make good reviews says:

“Morrowind is one of those games I never really played. RPGs are my blind spot, especially anything pre-2005,”

so then why were you the one to write the review? what are you, stupid or something?
    dont you realize that getting someone who actually PLAYED the game to write a review ABOUT THE GAME THEY PLAYED would be better informing?
    thats your JOB, to inform us!
    gabe newell needs to kick his steam team in the ass and get them to kick RPS ass untill they get it right.

I have not appreciated a single review from RPS and now i believe the buzz about gaming journalism being full of shit.

because it is PACKED FULL OF SHIT!

-EDIT-
    oh, yes, and if you are offended and this gets deleted ill just repost it on steam. people will know of your bullshit, and it will change mark my fucking words.
    reviewing a game you never played… no wonder video games suck so much nowadays.

• SlimSmokey says:

He wasn’t writing a review of any kind…

Regardless, if he’d bother taking any look at the website (which he obviously either did not or cared not to mention) he would have seen this at the TOP OF THE FRONT PAGE:

Welcome to TESRenewal Project, a community about merging the amazing worlds of The Elder Scrolls video games into more modern game engines.

Merging, old games, into more modern game engines. For multiple reasons. Don’t end your bullshit article on trite about, “Now, set about me, with your words on why Morrowind is so great, and how the HD mods totally make it playable today anyway, and which character you think is dreamy and has a dark side but not too dark, and so on. I will enjoy listening to you, even if I take no heed.”

Because:
      1) You don’t care why Morrowind is so great (see the next note of this portion of my comment), if you’ve never even played the game why are you writing this “article” (by the way, those quotes are very, very loose)?
      2) You ask, “…how the HD mods make it totally make it playable…” See the line I mentioned a the top of the dev page for the project (which you NEVER CITED, and I am, right here click this). You obviously know nothing about the difference between the capability of game engines now, and back when Morrowind first released (oh my, May 1st, 2002, when you had your radar on RPGs, or so you say).
      3) And the last portion of your “article” is rubbish. Period.

If this man was paid to actually write this, I’d hope he was given less than the US minimum wage, because it’s shit flame bait and nothing else. Yes I’m helping with the bait, but hoping people walk away with a bit more from my rant than what they read at the top of the page if they got this far.