Zorked: ScummVM Adds Nemesis & Grand Inquisitor

Ho ho but how ever shall I get that hammer out? PUZZLES!

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

That crummy shack is where I live after being fired for referencing the wrong Zork game, blithely thinking “Hey, that’s close enough. Yeah, Zork, sure, people will get that. Grues and all that right.” All I wanted to do was write some vaguely entertaining intro to a post about how ScummVM has added support for Zork Nemesis and Zork: Grand Inquisitor but now I live in a boarded-up shameshack. Good job, lazy.

Nemesis and Grand Inquisitor came a fair few years after ye olde text-based Zorks, with Myst-ish pre-rendered 3D worlds to explore and FMV cutscenes to gawp at. They do both sorta work on Windows still – you can buy them on GOG – but running on ScummVM avoids a few issues with modern versions of Windows and makes them playable on Mac, Linux, Android, and all sorts of other operating systems too.

This is probably the point where I should link to RPS pal Richard Cobbett’s fond look back at Grand Inquisitor. There. Maybe that minor act will save me from being fired.

Support for this pair of Zorks is now in ScummVM’s daily builds, which will become proper release versions one day.

Given that Zork Nemesis developers Zombie Studios have very recently shut down, this is fine time for one of their earliest games to find eternal undeath.

1. Llewyn says:

Oooh, interesting. I have both original CDs and GOG copies of both of these. Haven’t really paid much attention to ScummVM so far, but this might be the trigger I need.

Also, hurrah for the people who spend time making our old games work better!

• Bart Stewart says:

I likewise bought them originally and from GOG, but this is also nice.

I still get a chuckle from the bit in Z:GI that winks at the reception for the unusual (for Zork) tone of Nemesis.

2. MadTinkerer says:

I CAN FINALLY PLAY MY LEGITIMATELY PURCHASED GAMES!!!!!!!

Thank you, emulator developers, thank you.

3. Risingson says:

Cool. The Windows version of Nemesis was a bit prettier, as far as I remember.

teije says:

I only play Zork games that are text-based. Somehow feels fundamentally wrong to have a Zork with graphics. Like a FPS Colossal Cave.

5. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Boarded-Up Shameshack is my favourite Canadian indie rock band.

6. Oddminzer says:

Does anybody who knows anything about DOSBox or SCuMM VM know if the GOG version will work through SCUMM? For the filter pretties mostly. Gosh, what a lot of acronyms.

• Wandering Taoist says:

The way SCUMM works is basically that it ignores the old .exe and reads only the original data files and emulates the interface. In other words, yes, it should work with GOG version no problem, as it will basically bypass its executables.