GTA 5 System Requirements Come With Delay Til March 24

My face.

The game I was most looking forward to in January has just been pushed back again. Grand Theft Auto V – released on consoles in September 2013, and on some more consoles in November 2014 – is now coming to PC on March 24th.

Oh well. There are some system requirements below, should you want to check whether you can run it in the meantime.

Minimum Specs

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB
  • Recommended Specs

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB

Which all sounds pleasantly scaleable, and makes sense in light of its earlier release.

I played a fair amount of GTA 5 on 360 – till my console red-ringed, anyway – and enjoyed it. Not for its characters who are mostly unpleasant, or its missions which work hard to make you feel like you’re wasting your time, but for the same reason I always enjoy Grand Theft Auto games: the world in which it takes place.

I’m looking forward to the PC re-release for two reasons. One, because it has the first-person mode previously released on the fancier console boxes. That means I don’t have to wait for a mod to come along and give me that ability, like last time.

Two, because the PC version comes with a replay editor, which was so much fun to tinker with in Grand Theft Auto IV. I fancy some of the game’s multiplayer modes – the PC version will have the much delayed Online Heists at launch – but mainly so I can then cut all the silliness together into slapstick comedy shorts.

The post on the Rockstar Games blog has some screenshots of the PC version running at 4K resolution, which is how I was able to crop in so tight on Michael’s gurnface above.

1. Laurentius says:

Oh bollocks…
    Waited that long, I’ll wait two months longer, still bollocks.

Also 65 GB ? Wow, hope my CPU will do the job. Those minimal requirements are pretty lenient.

• Danny252 says:

Apparently the latest gen consoles get 45/50GB installs, although they’ve managed to shave it down to 8GB install + 8GB (?) DVD on the earlier ones. It’s still all a bit ridiculous, though…

2. fish99 says:

God dammit, 2 weeks before release another 2 month delay. After this it better be well optimized.

• phelix says:

I had a feeling when this was going to happen, what with all the silence from Rockstar since 20-odd december around the PC version. Still feels like a middle finger to PC gamers though.

• dirthurts says:

Working on the PC version for an extra two months is the middle finger? You’d rather it be released now, buggy and unfinished?

• phelix says:

That’s what everyone said when the nextgen (or should that be current-gen) released on nov 14th and PC was scheduled two months later. It’s the same excuse every time. Same excuses as Ubisoft gives at every one-month delay behind console releases that is totally for beta reasons (cough Assassin’s Creed III and Unity cough)
          Their official statement is also rather vague; a ‘few weeks’ equates two months how?

• Shadow says:

Personally, I have no qualms about waiting a bit longer for a polished product.

I have a dozen games to attend to in the meantime.

• BlackAlpha says:

Remember GTA4 and why it’s potentially a good thing they decided to delay GTA5 again.

• Melody says:

Then why, in your opinion, are they delaying it?

What would be their interest in giving the “middle finger to PC gamers”? Do you think they delayed it because their employees, who all hate PC as a gaming platform, were slacking off instead of working hard like they did when it was time to release for console? They gave themselves a deadline, then they delayed, which is never a positive move in the eyes of gamers, and I don’t think their PR is stupid enough to shoot themselves in the foot like that, so please, enlighten us as to why they *really* delayed it, if not to make a better port.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

@Melody

Or maybe they shifted a lot of their team in different issues without giving that much consideration to this particular job until they realized they are quite off schedule, or maybe not. Maybe it’s a real polishing scenario, or maybe not.

Maybe he’s just pissed about the total radio silence up until now, maybe it’s stupid to feel like that or maybe it’s actually a worthy concern all things ( and their past ) considered.

By all means though, if i learned something about big AAA companies delays, at least for the PC version, it’s that they really help little and are possibly something more akin to an excuse for the sloppy effort.

Ultimately until we know what’s going down in there it’s all down to opinion, but their PR already shot themselves in the foot by responding only at the last minute, and i hope you’ll at least agree that this kind of behaviour is generally not something that inspires optimism, not only in gaming.

• Kitsunin says:

It’s saying that they don’t care enough about the PC version to dedicate the same level of QA & fixing to it, meaning they need an extra few months to bugtest. I mean, I understand deadlines and PC is certainly more bug-prone so I can understand a gap, but such a large gap surely indicates they don’t care as much about us. Many AAA games do actually still have simultaneous PC releases, yet somehow the good ones don’t have issues on launch.

I don’t really care since I just got my 3DS imports in, but the frustration is justified.

• J-Force says:

Utter balderdash!

The consoles have fixed hardware, the game must be prepared for those two configurations at the maximum capacity that is possible. Not easy, but you only have to prepare for a few configurations and then patch it occasionally if a PS4.2 comes out.

With PC, there is a wide selection of guff that we put in our machines. I have one of those Nvidia GTX things (I am no PC wizard btw) and an i7, I am above the recommended specs. However different configurations will need to be accounted for by the developers. As there are hundreds of configurations a PC could take, verses the handful that the PS4 and XBone will have, they must optimise the hell out of the game whilst testing it on a wide variety of PCs, then fixing them.

Here is a watered down QA test for the PS4:

4) Now for the AMD Radeon line of cards
            5) Run GTA V
            6) Do testing stuff
            7) Does it work? Great!
            8) Now for the Nvidia GTX 645 with an i5 4th gen processor
            9) …

The PC takes a hell of a lot longer to test for and prepare for. It is highly unlikely that R* can get enough reliable and cheap QA testers to speed up the process significantly.

tl;dr: Stop bitching, perfection takes time.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s still true that some simultaneous release, if done well, are perfectly capable of running at the expected performance level on PCs aswell, with the caveat that some extra problems caused by different hardware are going to be expected. I don’t think he meant that those games are perfect for everyone.

You are obviously right that in order to assure the PC version can get even better on launch some extra time is needed, but when we’re talking about such massive delays one after another the situation is different, especially if when it finally releases stuff is still utterly broken, like it happened a lot in the past.

In such a scenario some of us are “trained” to expect the worse and to correlate huge delays with few resources and effort directed towards the port. Besides, it’s not like Rockstar is exactly the herald of the PC platform anyway.

• Kitsunin says:

Yeah, my point wasn’t that PC is just as easy to test for, my point was that there’s plenty of evidence publishers are perfectly capable of managing a simultaneous release without any sort of issues resulting from it. They just have to care enough, and they don’t deserve a free pass just because PC is harder.

3. kevmscotland says:

That said, I’d prefer just not to see release dates at all until they are 100% locked in place.

System specs are surprisingly reasonable and I’m hoping this runs great like Max Payne 3 and less like the abysmal GTA 4 port.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Games used to give a “Q1 2015” type estimate that gave people a rough idea without a hard and fast release date. Not sure why companies don’t start doing this if they are starting to take the much preferred stance of “We will make sure the game is ready before we release it”.

• Alfius says:

“In a world where half-baked broken games are shoved out of the door to meet launch dates I’m happy to see a delay if ti means a good quality product.”

^this^

On the issue of system requirements: I suppose the exorbitant storage requirements arise from holding the bulk of the non-graphical assets in uncompressed form to ease CPU load during game-play. Titan Fall took the same approach, a twenty-some gig download ballooned to over 50 gigs on install with 35 gigs of that being decompressed audio. Not particularly SSD friendly and the main reason I don’t have it installed any more.

• fish99 says:

It’s a kinda meaningless statement to say you’d rather have a delay than have it released with issues, because R* are very wealthy and could have had the PC version done, bug free and well optimized at any point they wanted. It could have released the same day as the PS3/360 version, with all the extra features and better visuals. They just needed to start it sooner and/or assign more resources.

It’s all strategy with R*. What they want is for you to buy the PS3/360 version, then the PS4/XBone version, then the PC version. That’s their ideal.

• shaydeeadi says:

I don’t necessarily agree with the concept of just throwing more bodies at the problem. At this point that what is 2 more months? It’s not like there isn’t 50 bagillion more games on pc to keep you occupied in the meantime.

• fish99 says:

So they start 2 months earlier, or 2 years earlier. Or they get the main studio to work on it, giving it equal priority to the 360/PS3 version, rather than handing off the PC port to R* Leeds. The point is they could have had the PC version out anytime they wanted, but they’d rather you buy the console version, and preferably buy it more than once.

• shaydeeadi says:

I havent bought either, and I have been eagerly awaiting the pc release he whole way. Are rockstar mad at me?

• fish99 says:

Many many people did, enough to make this approach more profitable.

4. c-Row says:

Yay – more time for Elite Dangerous!

• J-Force says:

Indeed, I’m now playing it listening to Mass Effect music. I’m occupied until March :D

5. Cousin Qures says:

Hello all I’ve been following RockPaperShoutgun since…god know what so here you go my first comment:

F*** You R*

• bad guy says:

Take your time R*

• Cousin Qures says:

dude I postponed my millitary service ( conscription) just to play this game some time but now I cant. If bad management (releasing unfinished or bad planing) is commenedable these days they will keep continue treating PC, a second-class citizen. Not a few days ago they said -twice- that “game is releasing on Jan 27. So what possibly changed that they need 10 more weeks? All because they dont care.

• Skull says:

Dued, you are putting off life to play games, that is the problem not R* delaying your favourite game.

There is more to existence than playing GTA V and once it is released, it will not got anywhere so you can wait until you have spare time to go through it.

Seriously, you will find yourself much happier if you get on with things and only game when you have the time for it.

• Cousin Qures says:

Did you just tried to psychoanalyst me and give wisdom through game site comments? Strange :D

• Firkragg says:

Uh, I think he just tried to get you to question your priorities. Which is always a good and healthy excercise in itself I find. As such I commend Skull on his sound advice.

• kael13 says:

Go and serve your country. You know nothing of game development. It will still be there when you return.

• rabbit says:

Yeah , um , he was pretty spot on in his ‘trying to psychoanalyst you’ … it’s not Rockstar’s fault that you’re so obsessed with the idea of their game that you were willing to postpone your job for a year to hole up and play it.

ps kael13 ”serve your country” … lol, serve your government*

• pilouuuu says:

Well, to begin with, why are you doing military service? Are you forced to? Serving your country is not worth it if there are so many awesome videogames around!

• airmikee says:

Yeah, conscription means they are being forced to serve. There are still some countries that require every citizen, with some exceptions for religious, psychological, and physical reasons, to serve in the military for a short time. America and the UK ended conscription decades ago, but Australia, Greece, Chile, Israel, Venezuela and a host of others still require every citizen to enlist in the military at age 18. Even though not everyone actually serves in the military in those places, nearly everyone is still required to be available for the possibility of serving.

• Horsebane says:

Australia doesn’t have conscription. I don’t think it ever did.

• Banjo-Tuesday says:

There has been conscription in Australia three times, all in or since WWII, but the last period was during the Vietnam era.

6. iainl says:

Blimey. That minimum spec wasn’t enough to make GTA IV run well, so I’ll believe it when I see it. Fortunately, I’m well above the recommended, so I should be fine. I’m not in a rush, either, so I’ll happily take it when it’s done.

Jiskra says:

because Rockstar knows that on PC even old games sells good ….

8. Jamesworkshop says:

male delayed release date simulator

9. clive dunn says:

I booted up iv last night cos I fancied some GTA craziness and fell right back in love with it. I can understand the hatred of the ‘horrid port’ if you couldn’t get it running on your machine but on my crappy PC it has (and has since release) run superbly. Went on multiplayer briefly which seemed to be totally occupied with Germans, half of which had all the cheats going it seemed. Even that frag-fest was fun.
    I’m secretly glad V has been delayed as my downloading 40gb of old game two weeks before release of new one doesn’t seem quite so misguided now.

10. J-Force says:

Another two months to wait. I’m fine with delaying the game, but on two weeks notice? R* could have told us this last week when we questioned their release date. What changed since last week that meant a delay?

11. Pixieking says:

Other requirements: Installation and online play requires log-in to Rockstar Games Social Club (13+) network; internet connection required for activation, online play, and periodic entitlement verification; software installations required including Rockstar Games Social Club platform, DirectX, Chromium, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 sp1 Redistributable Package, and authentication software that recognizes certain hardware attributes for entitlement, digital rights management, system, and other support purposes.”

No mention of SSA, though, so whatever DRM it’s using, Steamworks ain’t one of them (excepting for the Steam release, obviously).

• shaydeeadi says:

Just sounds like steamworks and steamguard to me.

• Pixieking says:

The description is so broad, it could be Denuvo or TAGES, but since it doesn’t say that a Steam account would be required, it’s not Steam. Whether you’re bothered by such DRM is a different matter, though. :) I must say, I find it perplexing everyone cares about whether a game can run on their machine, but not how it’ll run, or how often it’ll require an internet connection. *shrugs*

• J-Force says:

As long as it doesn’t take 10 minutes to start up the game, I’m happy.

• Cinek says:

Meanwhile on TPB:
      Other minimum requirements: none.

12. Hebrind says:

It had better be bloody good, then. 18 month wait for a PC release is huge. Nice birthday present, I suppose!

tenochtitlan says:

So as expected, this statement 12 days ago was almost amusingly ridiculous PR doublespeak: “GTAV will be coming to PC on January 27th. We have not announced any changes to this date at this time.” link to support.rockstargames.com

Not that I mind, really, but that is great PR work, Rockstar.

14. Jimbo says:

We’re gonna need a bigger SSD.

15. noizy says:

I’m starting to wish publishers wouldn’t bother giving out release date any longer; they rarely meet them. Maybe the investor community wants these forecasts. I suspect if game release news would be done in investor calls, gaming website would publish that anyway. I tend to not pay attention to pre-release news. This justifies it further. Wake me up when the game and reviews are out.

16. HyenaGrin says:

Yikes, 65gb.

Oh well, I’m pleased to see my somewhat aging desktop will be able to handle the minimum specs, even creeping up on the recommended. Which is a pleasant surprise given some of the insane specs we’ve been seeing lately from games like Far Cry 4 and Witcher 3. Yeesh. Then again, I guess it’s just a port of a relatively older game. But it does seem like they put some effort into optimizing, so kudos for that.

I don’t mind the delay. I like to think most gamers these days have lived through enough buggy, too-soon releases to know the value of patience if they want a game to be released in good order.

• J-Force says:

This is not suprising when you consider that more time was put into porting GTA V than all of Far Cry 4. It will no doubt show in those shiny 4k textures.

17. Spacewalk says:

I can do without it. Bring on Gat Out Of Hell.

18. tonicer says:

I hope no one buys this when it releases in 2016 or 2017 or 2018 and so on.

In 2017 after they release the potato version or GTA VI the PC version of GTA V might actually be halfway done.

19. rabbit says:

Okay … but … what about Red Dead Redemption?

20. soopytwist says:

65Gb?! Good grief. Well, all I want to know is does it do SLI?

21. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Nooooooooooooooooooo
    ooo!
    That was supposed to be my February! I put aside February just for this! Now what am I supposed to do with a whole stupid month.