Yell At Voice-Controlled There Came An Echo On Feb 24th

'SHOOT THEM ALL WITH YOUR GUNS OKAY'

Voice control pops up in PC games every now and then, but has never stuck around long enough to not be eyed suspiciously as possibly a gimmick. For folks handy with a mouse, the question is often “Why would I want to yell when I can click quicker?” A new trailer for voice-controlled squad tactics ’em up There Came An Echo goes a far way towards answering that, as well as announcing a release date of February 24th. In short: because being a squad commander yelling at folks who’ll shout back at you can feel pretty cool.

See, in the cyberfuture, something happens with computers and code and stuff, so you need shoot men. Your squad is controlled with voice commands, which range from simple things like telling someone to move to a mark to slightly fancier ones like telling multiple characters to switch weapons on your mark, or “everyone but” someone doing something. See, watch this:

If you want to see more, this video demonstrates a short combat section and this one pokes at its story and voice cast, which includes Wil Wheaton and Ashly Burch.

My only experience with voice control in recent years has been yelling at an Xbox One to play a DVD of John Waters’ A Dirty Shame. It was a bit shoddy but I shan’t hold that against voice control, and I won’t blame voice control for my Kinect problems either. Hey-o! Jokes.

1. drinniol says:

I expect it will work as well as Endwar – that is to say, not at all.

• slerbal says:

It looks interesting, but I definitely have some concerns as the actual game itself looks like it might be flat and the voice acting looks a little schlocky. Much as I love Will Wheaton, I’m not really interested in postmodern/breaking the 4th wall style conversations with my characters. However, I could be totally wrong and I’m willing to take a chance on it as it is something a bit fresh in concept, especially with a soundtrack on offer.

2. melnificent says:

Will buying the DRM-free version also net a steam key when it eventually releases on there?

• slerbal says:

I was wondering the same thing. I would like to buy it via their widget and give them more cash, but I do really want a Steam key and it is not clear at all from their page.

3. c-Row says:

I wonder how well this will work for non-native speakers…

4. kwyjibo says:

Yes, the future for voice recognition is to manually type out the rote set of commands you wish to use in the settings before playing the game.

Great.

5. PsychoWedge says:

I still don’t see how this is supposed to be faster, , more precise, more intuitive and more fun compared to clicking on my screen and shit happening instantly.

• Noumenon says:

Have you experienced voice control in real life? It substitutes for multiple clicks, as in “OK Google, navigate to home” or “Send a text to Kieran, message Come Back!” And you can do it while doing other tasks such as driving or buckling your seatbelt, or … clicking on things. I’m excited about this.

6. Artificial says:

A game like this would usually get zero attention from me, but seeing as I some how already knew it’s from the guys who made Sequence then I’ll probably buy it regardless even if it may end up being terrible.

7. Scandalon says:

I too can’t but help think of previous attempts that were either gimmicks or just plain didn’t work well – especially a C64 game that came with a headset (Silpheed or something?), but it just registered sound of any sort, didn’t distinguish between different words.

I suppose that’s the main issue, if it barely works or is just stuck onto the gameply, it’s a gimmick. If it works well and is a core part of the game, then it’s a new classic. :)

• derbefrier says:

Theres some pretty cool voice recognition software out there that works pretty damn good and works well with games. I would recommend a program called voice attack and then using it to play Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous. Being able to give verbal commands to your spaceship in the middle of a dog fight to control power distribution and shields is pretty damn awesome.

Its not really something that would make sense for most games, something like this could be cool. Its pretty damn cool for space sims though.

edna says:

Seems to work well in Arma 3, so there is hope: link to youtube.com

That said the chances of me doing this, with the wife on the sofa and the cat looking at me strangely, are pretty low.