Not So Long: Pillars Of Eternity Release Date Is March 26th

The beta of Pillars of Eternity has been available to backers of its hyper-successful Kickstarter projcet since August last year, but now the frugal wait-and-sees (like me) know when the game will be finished: March 26th. There’ll also be a livestream from project director Josh Sawyer tomorrow at 9pm GMT/1pm PST to show some of the recently added and revised content.

[A joke about there being a word referring to time in the title hahah]

Pillars launched on Kickstarter as Project Eternity and promised an isometric, party-based RPG like the days, and one that would be developed by Obsidian Entertainment and include work from Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, Josh Sawyer and Feargus Urquhart, who had hands in everything from Fallout to Planescape to Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. It was largely memories of those games that drove the Kickstarter well beyond its $1.1 million target to $3.9 million.

The backer beta wooed Adam enough to think it might live up to Baldur’s Gate, and he also took the time to interview Sawyer at length.

I clearly don’t have any further news to add, but perhaps when the game is released, you will ask it to…

1. Faldrath says:

On, er, not so related news, Grim Fandango Remastered will be available on GOG pretty soon, January 27th. There’s a nice trailer over there too.

2. amateurviking says:

Not all backers got early access :(

Either that or I didn’t get the memo.

• skyturnedred says:

Depends on which version you bought. Beta access was about $50 IIRC.

• suibhne says:

Yeah, RPS’s writeup, above, seems to suggest that the EA version of the game was available to all backers. In fact, it was open only to backers at $110 or above (or folks who purchased access for an extra $25 on top of existing pledges).

3. BTAxis says:

I keep forgetting whether I backed this one or the other one.

• Cinek says:

I backed both :) But so far PoE seems to be much better prospect.

teije says:

Really? I think Torment looks way more interesting. Don’t get me wrong, I backed this right away and am definitely looking forward to PoE, but it seems perhaps a little traditional for me. I really like the direction the Torment folks are taking it, could be groundbreaking.

4. MeatMan says:

The day before my birthday. Happy Birthday to me!

5. Continuity says:

sweet, i’ll have to hurry up and finish Original Sin by then.

Got to say i’m looking forward to this more than any RPG I can remember.

6. Laurentius says:

Oh come on, one day before GTAV ? You’ve got to be kidding me. I expected this at the end of February. Eh…

• Cinek says:

Different games, different audience.

• ffordesoon says:

One assumes Laurentius occupies the center of that particular Venn diagram.

• JayG says:

Not true, I love both. Both Baldur’s Gate 2 and Vice City are 2 of my all time favorite games.

iris79 says:

tragic that at the same time as gta, will have timetable it or something…good bye real life

7. Buuurr says:

haha no shit?! Gotta get this

8. derbefrier says:

Too many crpgs too little time.

9. richlamp says:

I’m a bit scared that this is going to be rubbish. None of the write ups of Early Access have filled me with much hope so far…

• Zallgrin says:

Most people are divided on the combat, but I personally never enjoyed BG-style gameplay anyway.

As for the story, it’s rather well-written, judging from the streams and there are tons of roleplaying options. You’d be hard-pressed to find dialogue where you don’t have 4-5 ways to respond to something a villager said to you. Regardless, the beta only showed side quests and main quest of the area, while leaving the main plot in the dark.

• JayG says:

Beta is incredibly limited, just a couple of zones. When it comes to this style of game tends to take hours to get into anyway. First couple of hours of Arcanum weren’t great, Fallout 2 had the really annoying temple and the Witcher games always started off pretty badly.

teije says:

I really hated that temple. I loved to start Fallout with new builds and that temple was literally murder on any non-combat build.

• Wowbagger says:

Mods are your friend – there’s a simple one that removes the trials from the beginning. Not to mention some massive overhaul mods that add originally intended content.

• skyturnedred says:

You can skip the temple if you have a good enough speech skill.

10. Emeraude says:

So little time…

11. Darkheart says:

I’m not a backer, but i have closely followed development and the forum discussions. Being a biiiiig BG fan, the news of Project Eternity was the best thing I heard in a long time. Though, after much reading and watching I’m more than a bit worried that the base systems are simply not good. Combat seems to be confusing and unfun. The stat system needs getting used to, to say the least.

If combat was close to TOEE I would be very happy. Can anybody tell me how it compares to PoE?

I’m sure story-wise this will not disappoint, but i will definitely wait for the first reviews before considering buying it.

12. Wowbagger says:

I looked at backing this early on but I found the prices too rich for my blood. Even pre-ordering on GOG looks like a gouge to me.

• Lanessar says:

If $25 is too rich for your blood, I feel for you.

• Wowbagger says:

I’ve never seen it below $40? on their official site at least and GOG has some interesting pre-order prices.

Steam has the standard ‘hero’ edition listed as £35 now which I may partake in.

13. Lars Westergren says:

Twitch stream archived: This looks SOOO sweet, I am proud to have backed this at a high level.

link to twitch.tv

14. FreePSNCodesZone says:

Check free PSN codes here! freepsncodeszone.com