Fan Service: Mortal Kombat X Enlists Kitana

FIGHT!

Fighting with fans is, of course, cool as all heck, so I never understand how Mortal Kombat’s fanfight lady Kitana managed to make it goofy. If the very-much-flesh-and-blood Jackie Chan can make fan fighting look so exciting and skilled, why is the unreal Kitana so boring? The answer is probably “because the other fighter is actually trying to punch her, and not only punch her but stab her, set her ablaze, and tear her spine out too.” But still! The point is: Kitana is returning to the rebooted Mortal Kombat, a new trailer for Mortal Kombat X reveals. She’s still not cool.

If you want to track every knot, bump, and turn of the marketing campaign, this trailer also marks the first moving-3D-pictures looks at returning cowboy monk Kung Lao and the four-armed Goro. He’s being dangled from a stick as pre-order bonus DLC, though, so don’t look at him. Don’t give him the satisfaction.

Mortal Kombat X is due on April 14th. You know, I do quite like the look of the insectile new fighter D’Vorah, as seen in this trailer. The world needs more insectile ladies crawling with iridescent grubs, speaking for hive minds, and throwing wasp grenades at people.

1. Drake Sigar says:

‘Preorder now to fight as Goro!’

Yeah, no. I’ll wait for the complete edition.

Earl-Grey says:

Preorder to fight as Goro?
    Twats.

• Bladderfish says:

I second this.

How about,

Don’t preorder now so that they waste their money developing stuff to sell as pre-order bonuses?

It would be nice to think that in the future no one was tempted into pre-ordering due to exclusive content. It’s a feckin blight on gaming.

• Themadcow says:

I agree, everyone should get Goro who buys the game. Just give them a two armed version and buy the other two arms as DLC – win / win.

3. Jalan says:

She might not be cool, but at least this time she remembered to wear more clothes.

• d32 says:

That’s a shame!

• Jalan says:

Eh, in the last Mortal Kombat most of the female fighter outfits looked insanely impractical and done in such a fashion that exploited them in order to rope in the game’s male demographic who didn’t have their own means of income with which to purchase the game.

There’s still skin on display by the looks of things, just not to such a blatant degree. Somebody at Netherrealm must’ve mandated usage of anti-jiggle tape or something.

• Distec says:

I didn’t really care for how the previous MK’s female characters were pretty much carbon-copied chestmeat with some distinguishing accessories (although the dudes were all variations of beefcake as well).

Still, it was a game where I could stab a man through their eyesockets and they’d still get back up to fight. I’m sure that’s not terribly practical either. :)

(Irrelevant aside: My friends and I dressed as MK characters some Halloweens ago, and I had the pleasure of going hairless for Quan Chi.)

• Jalan says:

Most of the men were over-the-top clones of action heroes. I’m not going to be one of “those guys” who bemoans that sort of thing though.

As for the ultra-violence being more impractical – it is Mortal Kombat, it’s come with the territory since roughly the first game but it came into bigger focus when MKII was released (precisely because people were shocked by the violence in the first). But the women lugging around ogre-sized bowling balls on their chests didn’t surface until the later generation of consoles/etc. and with the previous Mortal Kombat most of the women were dressed in such a manner that was just ridiculous fanservice, just shy of becoming a Dead or Alive: Beach Volleyball-esque parody where the breasts would be the ones doing the fighting instead of the characters with personalities.

4. Commander Gun says:

Everytime, i want to like and try Mortal Kombat, but everytime that i actully try (and sometimes buy) the games, i go back to Street Fighter so fast. I don’t know what it is, but the fighting feels so much more natural with SF, as oppossed to MK.

• cpt_freakout says:

The fighting system all the way from MK 1 through 8 was pretty terrible. They had some good ideas along the way, like the ‘styles’ system of 7 or 8 (don’t remember exactly which), but the fighting was awfully awkward. However, I think they nailed a good one on 9. I actually prefer that to SF IV, which felt kind of sluggish to me, and I absolutely love the SF series. It needs a very specific rhythm, but once you got it, the movements are so precise you can really ‘invent’ your own combos. I liked that a lot from MK 9, and I ended up playing it a lot more than SF IV. They used a very similar system for Injustice but for me it was dragged down by having set combos and too many superpowers, so the flexibility of the system and the skill needed for MK 9 were gone.

Anyway, if you’ve never tried MK 9, I highly recommend it, you might like it. And I’m telling you as someone who loves SF in general and thinks that all previous MK’s were just bad fighting games. If you’ve tried it already and didn’t like it, well, nevermind, haha. :)

5. Kala says:

I think I played her in Mortal Kombat on the mega drive? No wait. I played someone who was just like her, but purple instead, and had daggers rather than the fans (maybe)? I remember I quite liked her special move, anyways.

I thought the Kyoshi warriors in the animated series of Avatar looked both convincing and cool with their fans. Seemed like doing it right, to me.

• ScubaMonster says:

You’re thinking of Mileena. She was the palette swapped version of Kitana and had sais (ninja daggers!)

6. DanMan says:

First word that comes to mind: meh.

Not really impressed. And the gamma is way off, too. [/tech snob]

7. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Speaking as a huge MK fan… no. Just no. Sod off with your preorder bait. If that means I miss out on the character completely, so be it.