Freeware Garden: Until I Have You

Pulling this off is way more complicated than it looks. Honest.

So you seem to have been cast as the grim hero who’ll save the distressed damsel once again, but please, worry not. Until I Have You, despite lacking in the plot department, is different in other ways. In this case it’s through the mechanics that the game differentiates itself, as it’s a platformer in which you move the mouse pointer to accelerate towards the direction of your choice, click one mouse button to shoot and the other to jump, and click on the scroll button to cycle through your weapons.

Plus, its cyberpunk atmosphere and cinematic scenes do look lovely and appropriately dark and futuristic.

Poetic and slightly incomprehensible...

It’s a novel yet demanding control scheme that can make things exceedingly difficult when you have to jump and shoot in quick succession and with precision. Then again, I love it when people approach old formulas differently. And I do love the game’s toughness. It’s something you can teach yourself to handle, as with enough perseverance you will eventually become skillful enough to make it to the end. Also, when you get really, really good at it you should be able to pull off some pretty impressive speed-runs. I almost did too.

Once.

Through the second level.

Even if you desperately fail you’ll be able to appreciate the sleekness of it all. The parallax scrolling, great art and the 2D effects, the moving platforms, bosses and a particularly enjoyable selection of enemies should at the very least inspire you to give Until I Have You a try.

1. Jakkar says:

Aaaagh. That jumping mechanism. ‘Boop’ is not an acceptable form of jumping, it never was. Per the scriptures; “And thus did Sonic the Hedgehog reveal the Lie of the Plumber, and never again were virtual Italians permitted in the halls of learning and leaping.”.

An irritating noise and a sprite twitching through an awkward up-down arc is not acceptable. If he jumped like in Gunpoint, this game could be delicious.

Combat mechanics are also disappointingly dry – I was expecting something with the speed and viciousness of Hotline Miami, not merely boop boop bap boop bop ._.

2. SirBryghtside says:

I usually love the games you post, but god damn. This was one of the worst ones I’ve ever played.

Like… I could respect that it’s trying to do something interesting with its control scheme, but all it does is make even the most basic movement horribly clunky – which I could forgive if the level design was forgiving, but it really isn’t. I gave up after I got to some lasers with awkward patterns that were immediately followed up with more lasers that I somehow managed to luck through at high speeds, eventually getting hit by a third wave of lasers and almost breaking my laptop :P I don’t know, I think the control scheme might have fitted if it had level design focussed on speed, with plenty of open space and room for error – think Canabalt with a baseball bat – but it was all precision platforming that just made me long for ordinary keyboard controls. And don’t get me started on the slow down time button, which is ultra-conveniently mapped to backspace.

Sorry for the rant, that game just triggered something in my brain – I’ll be sure to leave a nice comment on the next wonderful game you post to make up for it :)

• Konstantinos Dimopoulos says:

Well, no worries there. I’m sorry you didn’t particularly enjoy the game (to put it mildly), but you were not obliged to. To be honest I appreciated its oddness and difficulty, but apparently that’s only me :)

3. Dualnames says:

Hey, SirBryghtSide and the rest of the viewership!

My name is James Spanos, one of the two designers of this game. Arguably, this version of the game is a bit, if not very, rough. This was created in 20 days, and that’s the best we could do. Unfortunately, during this time, me and Andrea Ferrara (who drew this), got very accustomed to the game mechanics, and thus it was harder for us to gauge on the difficulty and annoyingness. And that’s where testers did appear, but the feedback wasn’t that helpful to fix the difficulty and unforgiveness that is currently haunting this. However, since this has been worked on endlessly till then, I am owning a beta that has fixed several issues on the level and control scheme design. If any of you guys wish to help us make this better, I’d be very glad to listen to any feedback. If so, do send me a message at ledzepforever@gmail.com or @Dualnames on Twitter.

Concerning the slowtime button it’s mapped to both backspace and ur mouse wheel.

• SirBryghtside says:

Apologies for the scathing review – the difficulty left me a bit irate, which coupled with how tired I was at that point really didn’t have me in the best state of mind :P I’ve since gone back to finish it, and there is a lot to enjoy here – the art is fantastic, and the gameplay is enjoyable in its own way once you get the hang of it. I still think it’s a little unfairly difficult, but I understand that that could be the appeal to some people – I definitely felt like I’d accomplished something big once I’d learned the movement patterns of the final boss and managed to finally take her down. And I completely understand how the limited time frame would effect things – my comment was comparing it, rather unfairly, to a lot of other much more well-refined games – this is honestly really impressive for something that was created in only 20 days, my problems being likely fixable by little tweaks and a bit more testing.

If I were to give some advice on how to make it control a little better, I’d recommend increasing the size of the area where you can move your mouse to to make your character stay still. A lot of my deaths were caused by areas where I had to, say, pause from high speeds in between two laser beams, and increasing the margin for error on mouse movement in those scenarios could make the control scheme feel a lot more forgiving :)

4. Metalhead9806 says:

That was frustrating. I almost set up a freaking xpadder profile to set the game to a controller.