Oldworld: Oddworld New & Tasty On PC Next Month

My main memory of the Oddworld games is some guy at university uproariously demonstrating that you could make the main character fart or burp or something. Brilliant. Later that day, he threw up while helping to push a friend’s broken car around the corner, and it was then that I realised for the first time that a life spent almost entirely indoors playing videogames was not a sensible one. (A lesson I guess I subsequently forgot). Hence, I associate Oddworld with an extremely unfit man’s grey, watery vomit. Sorry, Oddworld. Maybe I can form new associations by playing the remade, modernised ‘New & Tasty‘ edition, which is headed to Steam on February 25th.

Why is it new? Why is it tasty? Graphics, silly. Well, not just graphics. This is apparently a ‘ground-up remake’ of the 1997 sci-fi platformer starring a telepathic alien attempting to free his people from a grim life of slavery and butchery, rather than a straight-up remastering. New engine (Unity), proper screen-scrolling, more variety to the original’s renowned speech aspect, some smoothing of the notorious difficulty curve, and generally a slicker experience.

In theory, anyway. The PS4 version was rather well-received last year, and hopefully the same will be true of the PC edition. We’ll find in a month and a half.

1. Crafter says:

Since many people complained about how this remake failed to understand and replicate the original design choices, I am not sure that this ‘new and tasty’ version will really be worth buying over the original.

• Tacroy says:

Really? I’ve seen nothing but praise for it from the various console critics I watch.

• tobecooper says:

link to youtube.com

Here’s a rather thoughtful comparison by Matthewmathosis.
        He raises a lot of interesting points, but most of the stuff wouldn’t bother people who didn’t play the Oddworld games back to back.

• SMGreer says:

Wow, that video really killed my enthusiasm for this remake. I know some of those changes like the controls have been addressed since but I’d no idea how extensive the change in the art direction was. As a massive fan of the original, it is a little depressing that so much of the original magic seems to simply have been lost to time.

I guess I’ll just go back and endure the wonky resolution for what seems to be the vastly superior version.

• Vandro says:

Thanks for the link. I loved the original and had been really looking forward to this. I guess I’ll just replay the original instead.

2. Cropduster says:

The old pre-rendered back drops and sprites were so much more detailed and conveyed the grime of the environments much better, with all that lovely extra blood and rust.

New & Tasty looked looked cheap, plasticy and covered in too much fancy lighting to me.

3. Wowbagger says:

I really enjoyed New & tasty on PS4 apart from Abe’s voice – for some reason they changed it from proper Yokel to whatever it is now. I used to amuse my little cousin on ps1 by doing the fart noises on the title screen. Good stuff!

4. Jalan says:

Great, now if one day they made Munch’s Oddysee playable on the PC it’d be a damn near perfect Oddworld experience for everyone who enjoyed these games when they were brand new.

• Jackablade says:

link to store.steampowered.com
      *points*

EDIT: That wasn’t what you meant, was it. No more posting before coffee.

• Jalan says:

Sadly no (I’m aware of it being available for purchase and was quick to buy it and all other Oddworld games when they first became available). I’m talking about having it in a playable state, something which Oddworld Inhabitants seems confident it is in currently, but something which its paying customers don’t seem to agree with (myself included).

5. EvaUnit02 says:

I’m not giving another cent to these dishonest developers until through with the promised HD patch for Munch on PC.

6. JustAchaP says:

Finally.

7. bonuswavepilot says:

I don’t have any experience of the re-makes, but it is a shame your associations are as they are Alec, these were lovely games. (Well, Oddysee and Exoddus were anyway, don’t really know the others in the series so well).

Beautiful backdrops, lots of hidden bits, very characterful… characters (I developed an abiding affection for Elum). Oddysee was one of my favourite titles on the original Playstation.