It’s Payday… [2: The Bomb Heist Trailer]

The Bomb (might be in a pig)

I’m watching The Bomb Heist trailer for Payday 2. Mostly it feels like a cross between a German car advert and an episode of The Killing – it has that same washed out colour palette and deliberate measured dialogue.

It’s a live action thingummy starring Babylon 5’s Mira Furlan which introduces the new DLC. There’s a heist (The Bomb), a new crew member (Dragan) and you meet your new contact, The Butcher.

Several Redditors have used a combination of pausing and knowing about guns to identify the VHS-2 at the end of the trailer – a Croatian machine gun, but that’s about it for information, though. Overkill say that more details will be coming on January 20th.

It will be interesting to see what they decide to do with regard to the pricing for all of this. I remember Alice was unimpressed by the £4 charge to get Clover as a crew member and that she was separated out from the Diamond Heist mission released at the same time for £5.

1. Churba says:

Fun fact – the new Crewmember, Dragan, is played by a bloke who was an actual bank robber. Dragomir Mrsic – which, as an aside, is a pretty fucking metal name to have – is a Champion martial artist, ex-olympic coach, and spent three years, six months in prison for robbing Gotabanken in Sweden.

2. Deadly Sinner says:

For those who have not kept up with Payday news, this is the first heist by the new studio Lion Game Lion, which is based in Croatia.

3. Chaz says:

I’ve tried playing Pay Day 2 with a mate of mine, but I guess we must be crap because we’ve just found it far too hard to make any kind of progress in it. About the only heists we can do are the grocery stores and the small jewelry stores. If we try any of the others heists we just end up getting swamped by cops and after a few failed missions find that we’ve lost all the money we’ve made on the odd few we were successful at.

It’s a shame because some of the higher level heists look a lot more involved and technical. There just seems to be a rather steep curve to get the skills and the funds to reach that kind of level unfortunately.

• SIDD says:

Not sure how difficult the game is for new players; I was on it from day one and I know they’ve introduced a crap load of changes to make it more difficult to progress (in effect making the game much harder)
      Have about 140 hours in game and still “only” level 80 – and far from one of the worst players so I guess you have to grind the “fast xp” (i.e. boring heists) to level fast or only play overkill.
      Still it’s one of the games I keep returning to for a single heist here and there

• Hebrind says:

Hi there mate,

Starting out in Pay Day 2 is pretty difficult and bland, because for all intents and purposes it’s Left 4 Dead 2 with bags and cops. However, the more you rank up, the more perks and skills you’ll be able to bring to the table. For instance, when I started out I had a general idea that I would want to be the group medic – so I started levelling up the Mastermind tree. Soon you’re able to bring really helpful things like 2 medikits with 4 charges, “shout” people up from being taken down from a distance (and through walls!) and the ability to convert a captured policeman into a useful ally/meatshield. And that’s just in the mastermind tree.

You’ll start off small, doing things like “Four Stores” on Normal or Hard, and it’ll seem like it’s not worth the time or effort at first. But keep trying, get a feel for the game, and don’t be afraid to try the stealthy approach to a lot of missions. Treat it like you would a real robbery. Plan, case the joint out, watch what routes guards take, look around for things to pick up like keycards, and think about how your skills will affect the mission, and how they compliment your friend’s playstyle. Payday 2 is actually really friendly in that you can have more than 1 of the same “class” and not be hindered by it – you’re just twice as strong in that class. Having two masterminds, for example, means you can have 2 police allies, 4×4 medibags, dual shout-ups, etc.

Stealthing a mission also nets you a 10-15% XP boost for your next mission, too. I would also recommend purchasing the Gage Mod Courier DLC, as it’ll make your life so much easier. If you don’t want to spend full price on it, wait for the sales, it’s like 80p or something. What this does is it rewards your keen eye for finding “mod packages” in levels by giving you things like free-to-fit addons for guns like scopes, which saves you in-game money like crazy. And if you find them with your friend, and he has the same DLC, he gets the pickups too!

Payday 2 is also a game I wouldn’t recommend playing with any less than 3 people, ideally 4 – the AI don’t help with moving bags or objectives, they are just bullet-sponges with guns. If you’d like to have a go at playing with me and the guys I run with on it, feel free to add me on Steam (same name, N7 logo) – we’re happy to teach you a few things, we’re not elitist about it or anything horrible like that, but we do like a good Payday.

Happy Heisting!

• Kitsunin says:

It’s worth noting that if you don’t dig grinding, if you can get someone to carry you through some of the harder heists (it’s really pretty easy to fit one total newbie into Hotline Miami Overkill, for instance) you can leap through the early levels. When I was level 15 I joined a Hard transport heist, turned out to be an in-progress train heist, and I jumped straight to level 30 when it was done.

The early levels are sort of tricky, a big part of it comes from having unmodded weapons which are either terrible, or terrible without mods.

• Afoxi says:

If you absolutely detest the random parts drop mechanic, google GoonHUD, and enable Gage Coins.

Sinomatic says:

Blimey, I don’t remember Ambassador Delenn being so mean…