Adventure-o! Watch An Hour Of Pillars Of Eternity

'venture!

What are adventurers’ bags and coats made of? I ask because watching an hour of Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity (which now has a release date: March 26th), I notice an awful lot of tongues being ripped out of dead monsters’ mouths and wings ripped from backs then stuffed into pockets, pouches, packs, and purses. I’d give a wide berth to anyone dripping with, and reeking of, old blood and flesh. You’ll see a whole lot more of isometric RPG adventuring in that hour, sure, but I can’t stop thinking about reaching into my pocket for my wallet and pulling out an old tongue.

Yesterday’s livestream saw Pillars of Eternity project director (and Black Isle Studios veteran) Josh Sawyer adventuring, conversing, wandering, looting, charactersheeting, and getting into a few problems as he was playing on ‘hard’ difficulty. He jumped a bit into the game, not starting at the start, but it’s still relatively early. Don’t watch it if you want to be surprised by every pixel you see, but don’t worry about it, say, giving away the ending.

The archived livestream is over here. Skip to 9:55 to see Josh turn up and briefly explain what he’ll be up to, then start filling his pockets with tongues.

1. jasta85 says:

pillars of eternity, torment, witcher 3, 2015 is going to be a good year for RPG players

• Buuurr says:

About time…

Qazinsky says:

I feel kind of silly for saying this since The Witcher 3 looks like a great game, but I kinda look forward for the Witcher 3 to come out so that they’re done with it and can get cracking on getting Cyberpunk out even more.

• jonahcutter says:

Not silly. I’ve been working through DA:I and while it’s decently fun, I find I’m regularly wishing it was another Mass Effect instead. Sometimes one is just more in a sci-fi frame of mind.

teije says:

I’d be surprised if Torment makes it out in 2015. Which is actually good. My backlog is already too large.

• Herbal Space Program says:

I was unimpressed by the backer beta but I heard they fixed the too fast combat and the wizard limited encounter spells since.

2. Anthile says:

Go team adventure!

3. uriel222 says:

Anyone else getting a “mortuary” vibe from the screenshot above?

4. aliksy says:

I can’t watch it at work, but can anyone tell me anything about the rules system? Is it a lot of %chance like wasteland? I really don’t like a lot of whiffing or randomness in my games anymore. I’d rather think about if doing X is a good idea than if the dice will favor me if I try X.

• Jazzyboy says:

If it’s like IWD, BG and NWN, there are dice rolls so some of it is down to luck, but you have a higher chance of getting a good roll if you do X.(if X is ‘a good idea’ :P)

5. Continuity says:

It looks good, but is it just me or is there something slightly off about the art? its all homogeneous hues and shortcuts in the detail, like its been made under high time pressure.

• Buuurr says:

Looks like the old school to me.

• Cinek says:

In the very most positive meaning of that sentence. Aye. PoE totally sold me on it’s arts style. It was great in the kickstarter campaign, and the more I see the more I like it :)

The game with “shortcuts in the detail, like its been made under high time pressure” was Wasteland 2, I don’t see anything like that in PoE.

• dahools says:

Having bought wasteland 2 the other week in a sale. I can agree the biggest let down is the gfx/art. I’m not far enough in to judge everything but so far that part seems like it could have done with some more time allocated to polish off to a higher standard. Zoom in and it’s blocky as he’ll. It’s a shame as some of the backgrounds are quite good but character detail is horrific. UI is alright and inventory items are fine. Just seems more time was needed in specific areas.

Trying to not watch any PoE as have a copy coming from the kickstarter and don’t want to spoil too much. Small clips are okay.

• airmikee says:

W2 is one of those games where I couldn’t give a rats ass less about the art, especially when I compare it to the original Wasteland. The story is good, the game is fun, the mechanics are easy to understand and master, and the game has enough choice to give it a high replayability level. (To head off any trolls at the pass, I couldn’t care less if you think replayability isn’t a word. “Yada-yada-yada” is in the dictionary, so don’t pretend like you don’t know what replayability means.)

6. Cinek says:

I refuse to watch it the video. No spoilers from the upcoming final release, please :)

• Sakkura says:

They have been very conscious of keeping spoilers to a minimum, both in the backer beta and their videos.

7. Pkloop says:

This plus the Shadowrun Hong Kong are my 2 mos anticipated games this year. Torment too, but like you guys Im not sure its gonna make it this year.

By the way has anyone heard any leaks on a new xcom? Would be cool if its announced and released in months kinda like they did with Civ BE. (not quality wise though as that one is 2 expansions away from playable!)

• airmikee says:

That’s funny, because when Civ5 released one of the largest complaints is that it was two expansions away from playable, and when Civ4 was released one of the largest complaints is that it was too expansions away from playable. After two expansions Civ4 became the standard for 4X games, finally beating out Civ3, and also after two expansions Civ5 became the standard finally beating out Civ4. So if history holds true, after two expansions Civ:BE will be the standard and finally beat Civ5, which is pretty exciting considering how many days I’ve put into Civ5. ;)

8. Darkheart says:

Well, I finally did watch it and I have to say, it looks better than I thought. Combat was a bit confusing at times, though I guess in part because Avellon didn’t really pay too much attention. My tactics will be far superior! ^_^

9. Fobok says:

Watching that video, there was a number of times I expected to hear ‘You must gather your party before venturing forth.’

So can’t wait! A return to the classic era!