Meet The Scholar: Dark Souls II Update Heralding First Sin

Fire fire.

Bandai Namco have announced a free update to the divisive yet celebrated Dark Souls II in advance of The Scholar of the First Sin (the latter being a DLC-inclusive revamp and re-release).

Those still plugging away with Dark Souls II as it stands may or may not be enticed by the changes that From Software will bring to the game on February 5th. The focus appears to be promoting online play, as well as introducing us to the Scholar.

Dedicated Souls players have no doubt already been dissecting what these promised changes mean: to say that the fanbase is dedicated to both the game’s mechanics and lore would be a colossal understatement. That the bonfire warp screen highlights the most likely locations for connecting with other players is presumably a welcome change. The addition of a new character (named, in an unexpected move, the Scholar of the First Sin) is a pretty clear bit of lore-building and promotion. Those more au fait with the intricacies of playing as phantoms and participating in various Covenants will have to judge the numerous other amendments themselves.

Personally I’m waiting for The Scholar of the First Sin so it’s all a bit bewildering. Don’t judge me, folks, I’ve beaten Dark Souls and I’m currently playing Demon’s Souls! As is so often the case with patch notes, I’m most entertained by what look like bizarre non-sequiturs. “Increased effect of Rusted Coin”? Well… that’s good.

While Scholar of the First Sin will bring a graphics update too, you’ll need to buy it separately – that won’t be patched in.

The full patch notes are best read over at Bandai Namco’s Tumblr. I love that Bandai Namco have a Tumblr. I wonder if they ever considered a LiveJournal?

1. Janissaire says:

Hmm,i think i will cr@ck first sin and all future bandai Namco and fromsoftware game.Just because i don’t like evil dev scaming me.

keithzg says:

…yes, I too don’t live devs “scaming” me. It’s the worstest!

• Senethro says:

Yes, you are definitely entitled to pirate all games from this publisher forever because they released a product you don’t like.

Idiot.

2. Dagonath says:

So I’ll have to pay another full game price, just for a graphical update that was supposed to exist in the original version? Really?!

• Cash at Folsom says:

Frankly I think this fragmented update was a foolish choice. I loved DSII, I subscribe to the subreddit, and I have no idea how these upgrades are actually mapped out. As best I can tell, the update written about here is sort of a teaser/enticement to buy the new version…? Which will have additional content and changes beyond these…? And graphical upgrades that will not be available for this version…? It would be a lot easier to swallow if I knew exactly what I stood to gain. I will be hanging onto my wallet until a few reviews can break this down with some more clarity.

• Splattercakez says:

My understanding of it is that the the separate version of the game mostly functions as a GOTY edition; it has all the DLC built in, has additional engine improvements mainly manifested through the better graphics and also has an (improved?) online system where up to six people can connect in a single game as opposed to the usual four.

Everything else though, in terms of new items, bosses, areas, and general balance changes, etc, are all coming to the base game via patches, so the only reason to buy Scholar is if you either really want prettier graphics, really want the -debatable- ‘improvements’ to multiplayer or if you don’t own Dark Souls 2 yet, in which case Scholar is probably the better purchase over the base game.

• Cash at Folsom says:

But I have also read that Scholar is in some ways a complete remixing of the game, moving and adding enemies [perhaps even some world structure], to arrive at something like DSII: The Master Quest–or, if you’d rather, the Director’s Cut. But does that apply to this and future patches to the base game, or just the new game?

• lordfrikk says:

We don’t even know what the graphics update entails, it might as well be just a slight increase of texture resolution here and there. We won’t probably never get to see or buy the “original” version.

3. madeofsquares says:

“you’ll need to buy it separately”

Oh. I already paid for the full game and the DLC. Don’t think I’ll buy again just for some improved graphics. That’s a shame.

4. Monggerel says:

#ThePendantOpensTheWay

5. Pich says:

And that’s why you always wait for the GOTY

6. Geebs says:

If they included a properly dark, torches are vital mode I would be all over it like a rash. That would make up for literally everything.

• Rolento says:

+1 :)

• eclipse mattaru says:

If you apply GeDoSaTo you get that already in the regular game :)

In fact, as much of a fanboi as I am, the DX11 version will have to be seriously amazing to convince me to buy it.

• Muppetizer says:

Weirdly enough the torch is actually really useful in two areas in the game, and neither of them are particularly dark. The most notable area is the Shrine of Amana where it plays a very obvious risk/reward between forcing more direct combat and being able to see the walkable path easier. The other area is really weird as it’s actually by far the lightest area in the game, but using the torch in the first area of the Shaded Woods is easy rogue spotting mode.

7. dethtoll says:

I better get a fucking discount for SotFS since I own the full game and DLC already.

Deus Ex Human Revolution Director’s Cut cost me $5.

• Ross Angus says:

Same here. I bought the DLC for Deus Ex Human Revolution twice. But it was so cheap, it was worth it.

8. Koozer says:

I hope the new release means the old DLC will get a discount.

9. DanMan says:

I’m glad I’m the patient type.

10. Robert Post's Child says:

So this is like a Dark Arisen type situation? Never got around to playing Dark Souls Dos, but I can see how that’d be frustrating. Seems to work for the Street Fighter guys though.

keithzg says:

Yeah, seems more acceptable in Japan for whatever reason.

• lordfrikk says:

This is literally a GOTY/Complete edition situation, thinking you should get it for free is just mind-boggling. Besides, most of the update IS going to be patched in for free for current owners, only minor stuff like the graphic update and increased number of multiplayer slots are exclusive to this new edition.

• baozi says:

If you already have all DLC, expecting to get an update for free isn’t mind-boggling at all.

All this does for me is tell me to not buy a Dark Souls game on release and instead wait a year for the complete edition. Mission accomplished.

11. Heliocentric says:

Still not finished DS1… :/ Godamn armour pig.

12. Chirez says:

They’re making it easier to find other players?
    The main reason I stopped playing it was because I didn’t like finding other players.
    My DS2 experience would be vastly improved by the removal of the entire mp system.
    The main reason I managed to complete DS1 was that didn’t play it until the Prepare to Die edition, and even then I waited a few months til there was almost nobody playing. Making DS2 more mp is just going to mean I have to wait even longer before bothering to attempt the rest of the game.

• fish99 says:

The MP *was* optional in DS1 though, you just stayed hollow and you would never see another player. Only reason to go human was to kindle a bonfire, so as soon as you’ve done it, just jump off a cliff.

As for DS2 if you stay fully hollowed invasions are pretty rare outside of the PVP covenant areas, but you can always just play offline and you’ll never see another player.

13. SlimShanks says:

So… let me get this straight. You are telling me that this update has a ring which absorbs all the souls I collect. Which essentially means that soul memory is no longer a thing. Which means that we can have a PvP meta level, and PvE co-op characters. Like in the first Dark Souls.
    PRAISE THE MUTHA****IN SUN!
    Now we just need matchmaking to be based on levels instead of soul memory and life will become the paradise on earth that we always dreamed of.