Scratch And Spook: Ghost Coin

Where do ghosts buy pick 'n' mix? WoooOoOoOoOOolworths. I'm pretty sure I created this joke myself and I'm dead chuffed with it tbh.

I’ve kissed noses, tweaked noses, stolen noses, and once even broke my own nose dancing to Total Eclipse of the Heart. After playing Ghost Coin, I’ll add ‘scratching a box’s nose out of existence with a coin’ to my list of Pleasant Nose-based Activities. It’s a short, browser-based, charming, and free game about scratching away layers of reality with the eponymous spectral coin. It’s one big animated lottery scratchcard where each panel hides surprises like a skellington, dogs, or a cheeky nude.

As I said, Ghost Coin is free and is playable in your browser – running in HTML, not even needing a plugin – so hop to it. When you come back in a few minutes all “That is CHARMING!” I’ll be like “I KNOW!” and we’ll both be really pleased.

I do like short games which show you something interesting and pleasant then end when it’s all still exciting. I’m not sure whether the ghost coin reveals truth or scratches off life, but either way I want one.

Ghost Coin is the work of sibling dynamic duo Elenor and Konstantin Kopka, who made it over three days. Elenor’s Tumblr has more animations in that splendid dotty monochromatic style, which you can perhaps use to imagine a few extra scenes in Ghost Coin. Or just look at them and mutter “coo I like that sexy ghost on the exercise ball”; that’s fine too.

1. John O says:

Look at that! Cute!

2. FuriKuri says:

Breaking one’s nose while dancing to Total Eclipse of the Heart is a “Pleasant Nose-Based Activity”? Between that and pond dipping (during winter! in England!) you seem well ‘ard, Alice…

• Monggerel says:

I was just thinking, the last time I broke my nose wasn’t even really pleasant at all!
      Then again, I used to stub cigarettes out on my arm or work out until I couldn’t stand up so I suppose I can at least sympathize with winter pond swimming.
      Maybe.

• Alice O'Connor says:

We’re all forever looking for ways to make Total Eclipse even more euphoric, aren’t we? The sharp burst of pain which cuts through booze then the stream of blood followed by experiments in “Wait… should my nose move like this?” certainly kick it up a notch.

3. sonofsanta says:

It’s good to know that the joy of Woolworth’s pick n mix continues on at least one plane of existence, no matter how inaccessible it is to me.

Strange that a shop has an afterlife, though; could one, perhaps, be pursued through dark forests by C&A tracksuits? Woken in the night by songs from an Andy’s Records? Unnerved by glimpses of Gateway carrier bags out of the corner of one’s eyes?

And to think some people believe “do dogs go to heaven?” is a challenging theological question when there’s a whole world of retail-based questioning demanding answers.

4. Ross Angus says:

Well, that was lovely! But where oh where is the “g-g-g-ghost!” tag?