Grey Goo Oozes Launch Trailer Ahead Of Jan 23rd Release

On typing Grey Goo into Google, the search box auto-resolved what I was typing into Grey Goose. Might I have just stumbled across the inevitable sequel to Grey Goo, in which its asymmetrical single- and multiplayer is expanded to include a world-ending race of nanogosling, consuming all matter with their honking beaks? Think on this question, I say, while watching the launch trailer for the Grey Goose prequel, which is out on January 23rd.

Before you hit that play button, be warned that there’s nothing inside other than CG, not-the-actual-game footage. If you have an allergy to such tomfoolery, escape with your sinuses intact to Alec’s recent hands-on impressions piece, inside which you’ll find the detail you desire alongside videos showing actual depictions of the game. For those who would prefer to first whet their whistles with some Weta Workshop aliens, robots, war, and alien goop, then click ahead.

I cut my strategy teeth on games like Command & Conquer and Red Alert and I understand the desire to return to that time of expensive-looking science fiction and a preference for macro- rather than micromanagement. I like that Grey Goo has no builder units to command as you position your factories and so on. But I do wonder whether it’ll feel focused or simply old-fashioned. My favourite RTS is Supreme Commander and I like more combat-oriented fare at the other end of the spectrum like World in Conflict – by sitting somewhere in the middle, I don’t know which itchces Grey Goo is going to scratch.

Grey Goose meanwhile turned out to be a kind of vodka.

1. Wowbagger says:

My favourite unit in C&C Tiberean sun was the crystal hoover thingy – I just thought you might like to know that.

2. Tom De Roeck says:

It gave me a bit of a Rise Of Legends meets Perimeter vibe. Woo.

3. 12inchPlasticToy says:

What a terrible, terrible name.

• salejemaster says:

Agreed. Good trailer terrible name.

• Krazen says:

They didn’t come up with it. It’s a common term to describe a nanotech based end-of-the-world scenario.

link to en.wikipedia.org

• Niko says:

Funny that they take the sci-fi grey goo scenario and mix it with that future battles fought with infantry fantasy stuff.

Godwhacker says:

I think a lot of people will be aware of that, but it’s still a terrible name. Even calling it ‘Slurping Mass of Tiny Robots’ would be better.

• Niko says:

The game doesn’t look indie enough for such a great name as Slurping Mass of Tiny Robots (seriously, I love it).

• P.Funk says:

Yea well thats no excuse really. If someone wanted to make a cold war game about nuclear war strategy and they called it MEGADEATH! nobody would really nod their heads in sober acknowledgement of it being a reference to the RAND corporation strategic thinkers. They’d be wondering why there wasn’t any metal backing track in the trailer.

I think its far more interesting when writers come up with creative ways to associate with established modern nomenclature. For instance I was very impressed with the original name of the film that became Green Zone: Imperial Life in the Emerald City. So much more thought provoking because it fits perfectly with the commentary of the work.

• Alien says:

Just wait for the sequel: “Grey Goo 2” ;)

• fish99 says:

Agree, in a genre starved of recent releases they’d be better off with a name that identifies the game as an RTS. Grey Goo just sound like a another puzzle platformer.

4. Kefren says:

Interesting-looking (and nice trailer narrator twist). Inevitably some elements seem familiar e.g. black goo from Prometheus + zerg-like bioweapons + giant robots from Supreme Commander and Pacific Rim. At first I was expecting more of a Creeper World vibe (I love those Creeper World games!) but this seems to be based on goo forming standard units rather than being a liquid threat. Also – the trailer shows just a cupful destroying an armed soldier, so how would blowing it to bits with guns possibly make sure that every bit was destroyed? It would just leave smaller and smaller patches which would be harder to target or destroy. I can’t imagine winning that fight. The idea may be more threatening than the execution.

• Kefren says:

PS +1 staring eyes tag. Maybe a tag for “kissable lips” too?

• Jackablade says:

I”d throw my support behind a full, pouting lips tag to go with the staring eyes.

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I was thinking Creeper World is about as appropriate as grey goo game as you’ll get.

• Cinek says:

As if no RTS ever had a gigant robots before or after SupCom. lol And I’m laughing even harder at your Pacific Rim example.

• Niko says:

Clearly those are giants robots from Robot Jox!

• Kefren says:

I’m confused, since you seem to agree with my point that giant robots in an RTS are familiar, but have worded it very sarcastically, implying disagreement. Of course I could have given further examples, I just stuck to more well-known or recent ones, which seemed to be enough to make the point. And the visual design of the interior did resemble Pacific Rim’s.

• Joshua Northey says:

That is like saying a game set in space is tired because there is cryosleep or whatever. It is just something that is going to be a staple element much of the time and its presence or absence says little about creativity.

It is a silly comment.

5. Niko says:

Are those four-nostriled chaps humans or some aliens? Would be really cool if they were post-humans.

6. Turkey says:

We set out to chart the stars… To seek cliched trailer lines… Little did we know… In a world…

7. NZLion says:

Supreme Commander ruined me for all other RTSes
    Everything else has too restricted a viewport, and while Grey Goo has managed to pique my interest with the goo faction and the idea of humans being perceived as brutal monsters, I am not holding out much hope that the interaction will feel tolerable to me.
    Honestly, it’s not helped by the UI being on top and bottom edges. As odd as it may sound, I think RTSes need to go back to the UI being down the sides like really oldschool titles used to do. It makes better sense on widescreen (and now ultrawide) displays

8. Bobtree says:

I really like what I’ve seen of the game so far, and frankly I am astonished that there’s no pre-order on Steam. Kudos to Petroglyph!

9. Lord Zeon says:

I have high hopes for Petroglyph. Even if Grey Goo turns into another commercial flop like Universe at War I doubt it will be anything but interesting.