Have You Played… Quake?

Spawn, sprint, left turn, elevator, shoot at the dog, cross the bridge, through the door, shoot the exploding barrel, left, right, right, hit the button to cover an acid pit, turn right down a corridor, hit the buttons down the ramps, hopping banisters to save time, left, right, up the ramp and hit the exit. Steam estimates that it takes 55 seconds to download Quake on a modern connection. I can complete the first level of its first world in 20 seconds. But it takes me no time at all to remember each part of the first first-person shooter I played.

Doom and Wolfenstein had already shown that first-person combat could be enthralling – and were games that I had watched others play and not controlled myself – but Quake brought more to it than simply polygonal monsters. Specifically, it brought proper movement through 3D space and made you feel like you were more than simply a hovering camera, a rotating tank, or a sliding dodge ’em. It felt good to jump. It felt good to run and dodge. The game’s pace didn’t always benefit from the more complex level design allowed by being able to put rooms above one another, but the shotguns and rocket launchers and grenade launchers all did.

I don’t think I ever completed Quake on my own (though I have definitely finished the final boss fight, I imagine I must have loaded it from the console), but it was a game that I went back to again and again simply for the fun of being inside it.

Steam’s estimate is wrong, by the way – it takes fewer than ten seconds for my computer to download it. So now I’ll go play it.

1. Myrdinn says:

Funny how our memories of Quake are basically the same. The first map (which was the only map in the ‘shareware’ version) you just described was my first multiplayer experience ever! I still remember feeling like a frigging genius when I figured out how to connect to online servers back then (remember there was no matchmaking or even a master server back then and I was 10 or 11 years old) using the console.

I played the heck outta the single player, quakeworld and TF but just like you I never played through the entire SP game but also remember fighting the last boss a few times, so probably used the console for that just like you.

Arnvidr says:

But the whole first episode was included in the ‘shareware’ version…

Also, wasn’t even the deathmatch levels included?

• Spacewalk says:

Only the first three which coincidentally were the ones in Q-Test.

Who else played that? My first Q-Test experience was with edited maps that included monsters that a friend had downloaded from somewhere. Doom was forgotten and Quake became our world and thanks to playing it obsessively we didn’t have to adapt to using mouse and keyboard when the shareware episode was released because we had it down pat.

2. Zekiel says:

Why yes I have. Spent hours playing and replaying it – probably the third or fourth PC game I ever played. Marvellous stuff. Never forget the terror of seeing a demon spawning and propelling itself across the room into your face. And that first boss (Cthon?) was a doozy. The last one was… unconventional, to say the least.

3. SomeDuder says:

4. DrScuttles says:

This game looks a bit brown.

• SomeDuder says:

Lets hope it doesnt inspire a whole generation of games inspired by those thematic colors.

Oh, wait…

• XhomeB says:

Actually, many levels in Quake (especially later on) are rather *brownish-blueish* in terms of colour palette.

Phasma Felis says:

Quake at least had a good excuse. Smooth lighting means your palette has to include a few dozen different shades of every base color you want to use, and when you’re still trying to support 256-color displays…you see the problem.

5. Rao Dao Zao says:

I have a love/hate relationship with Quake II, in that I should hate it but it’s so strangely enthralling despite its flaws.

Not quite managed to play the original Quake yet, but definitely on the wishlist…

• XhomeB says:

I love the Lovecraftian, otherworldy feel of the original, but boy, would I lie if I said Quake 2 isn’t one of my favourite games. Weapons have that lovely “oomph” to them, the level design promotes replayability and the soundtrack is easily the best bloody thing I’ve heard in any FPS to date.
      My only complaint would be the enemy variety – they’re all fun to blast through, often memorable (“TRESPASSER!”, dying animations etc.) but very slow compared to some Quake 1 monsters and rather samey in terms of tactics you need to employ.

• LTK says:

Whoa, is that what the melee dudes say? I never knew! I played Quake 2 to death when I was a kid (always with god mode on) so I never realised that all those weird vocalisations actually meant something.

Although I have vivid memories of Quake 2, when I played Quake 1 for what I thought was the first time and reached the first boss, the realisation hit me that I had played this before, only it was the slightest of a hint of a familiar feeling. I would never have remembered if I didn’t play the exact same level again. But still I enjoyed Quake 2 more.

• manitoo says:

I replayed the first two Quake games last year, and found Quake 2 holds up remarkably well. The levels are wonderful twisty mazes, and good god the sound design is fantastic. The metal-on-metal BOOM-chink-chink of the super shotgun is, for my money, the best .wav ever produced.

• aoanla says:

Huh. I also replayed both games (and some of the expansion packs) within the last two years and… I absolutely hated Quake 2 on replaying it, mostly because of the level design and hub-and-spoke zoning (but also a little just for the horrible Iron Maiden design which is emblematic of late 90s video games made by young men who didn’t know enough women). (Quake was actually still pretty good, although I don’t recommend the second or third expansion packs…)

6. XhomeB says:

No FPS nailed the movement physics and shooting as well as the Quake series did. That alone is an incredible achievement.
    Too bad id are now a shadow of their former selves, I have zero hopes for the new Doom, if Rage is an indicator, even the level design will be beyond abysmal.

• piedpiper says:

Why everybody hates Rage exept for that texture problem and screwed ending? I played it last spring and it is one of the best shooters of last decade, IMO.

• XhomeB says:

Well, I played it after the whole “texture streaming” problem got fixed and still found it remarkably underwhelming, which is sad, considering the potential it had. Here’s wot I think.

– Shooting in Rage felt good, no doubt about it, it’s wonderful that id didn’t force anyone to use iron sights in order to make the guns accurate – firing from the hip is an option. However, the bullets still do not land where you want them to, which is where your crosshair is. There’s a noticable random “spray” around it, and pretty much all guns seem to be affected.

– your character moves SLOOOOOWWWWLLLY, meaning the gunfights lose their appeal – you might want to run around, mow down everything around you, encouraged by how solid the gunplay feels overall (despite the aformentioned drawback), but you simply can’t do this due to how slow and vulnerable you are. The best strategy is to hide behind cover, shoot, hide again.

-regenerating health, further slowing the gameplay down and rendering exploration utterly obsolete.

– the hub world serves no purpose, it’s empty, boring and pointless. A total waste of time.

-the game has too much driving to be a satisfying shooter and too much pointless shooting to be a fun, arcadey racer.

– level design is A-T-R-O-C-I-O-U-S. It’s so linear it makes some levels in Call of Duty feel sandboxy in nature. You can’t jump over a bloody railing and there are invisible walls around every corner. What the heck.

“From the creators of Doom and Quake”. Riiiight.

7. kwyjibo says:

I trust the next few recommendations are Scourge and Malice.

8. elvis71 says:

What a great game .. and i played it several time from the beginning to the end. I loved the dark Soundtrack / Soundscapes, being a huge NIN / Trent Raznor Fan back in the days. I still have the original CDs (including the Soundtrack as additional CD) and the great Mission Packs Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity.

I had my first FPS Online Games via Quakeworld back then. Good times.

9. Herbal Space Program says:

Have played and stil playing it, the coop campaign with friendly fire is fun on nightmare.

10. Cash at Folsom says:

Funny, while I have several memories of this game–in both its shareware and fully expanded versions–one of the strongest is of a strange modding curiosity. The marketing team behind the Brosnan Bond film “Tomorrow Never Dies” released an officially-sanctioned, free Quake mod tied to the film, which was a single level in which you infiltrated the big bad’s stealth boat and took on his private army. It was buggy and short, but for some reason it captured my attention for weeks.

11. Kaeoschassis says:

I do not like Quake 1. It was alright at the time, but I preferred Doom, and in my young mind never understood why. Looking back, it’s definitely the guns. Doom’s level design certainly wasn’t superior to Quake’s (well, Doom 1’s level were quite lovely in places), Quake nailed movement beautifully, its monsters were such fun and, brown or no brown, its worlds had a certain undeniably intriguing feel to them. Quake is one of the only games from that era of early 3D where everyone was clamouring to use tech that really wasn’t ready to BE used yet which I can actually enjoy. But the guns.
    Oh the guns.

Take any weapon from Quake 1 and compare it to its closest analogue from Doom and you instantly feel the difference. I’d bet even if you’d never played an fps before you’d feel the difference. How can (otherwise spot on) arcadey, fast-paced first person combat be satisfying if the guns are so… dull?

Fortunately for everyone, Quake 2’s arsenal is absolutely smashing. That double shotgun… beautiful.

Remember kids, you can judge the worth of an fps ENTIRELY on its shotgun.

• Stopsignal says:

You, sir, expressed exactly what I think.

• XhomeB says:

Can’t say I disagree with at least some of your points – Doom definitely felt more… I don’t know, colourful? Like, it had more character overall?

Speaking of Quake 2 weaponry, I guess I’m the only guy on the planet who actually prefers the standard Q2 shotgun to the double-barreled one. I love it – the animation, the sound it makes (metallic chick-chock*), its visual design. Plus, it’s SUPER accurate at a distance – this is something modern games fail to grasp, shotguns should not become useless the moment your enemy stands more than a few metres from you. It’s nonsensical.

• Razumen says:

Plus the Railgun, and the Grenade Launcher, and the Hyperblaster, and the Chaingun, oh god the chaingun, how fast that beautiful thing could spit out bullets was glorious.

• jrodman says:

I disagree, I think the Doom level design (first episode at least) was fantastic, while Quake 1 seemed mediocre to me.

Also Doom was a fast-paced arcadey shooter with fun innovations of light, changing environments, and so on, while Quake was a more ponderous affair with bullet sponges from time to time. Quake simply wasn’t the game I was looking for, personally. Also I got like 18 frames per second in a lot of places, even with a newly upgraded computer. That rankled.

Further, I think the Doom sprites have a certain appeal that I don’t experience with the extremely low-poly models of Quake.

Now Unreal on the other hand… That thing I loved exploring for hours.

Phasma Felis says:

Yes, this, absolutely.

I don’t know anyone who didn’t go “WHOA” the first time they saw Doom’s fullscreen shotgun-reloading animation. The gorgeous gunmetal shine on the sprites, the Godalmighty WHAM of the super shotgun, the howling scream of the plasma rifle…

And then Quake’s weapons barely animate at all, despite being 3D models. Most of them sound like they’re wrapped in cotton wool. The shotgun, a brutal manburster in Doom, now does less damage than Doom’s pistol. Rocket impacts are a little basketball-sized puff of orange fluff and some square sparks. The Thunderbolt sounds like someone halfheartedly making bacon-sizzle noises into a microphone. And the glorious “high-res” shine of Doom’sclose-up gun sprites is replaced by flat, dull, enormous-pixeled textures.

Of course Quake 2 made up for it in spades, didn’t it just. I especially loved how every grenade and rocket in Quake 2 produces an actual mushroom cloud. I like to think that was id’s way of saying sorry.

12. vorador says:

I still hate the Vores. Hate them with passion And the twichy spawns, jumping to your face like a freaking train and then exploding when killed.

Such an amazing game.

particlese says:

AGH!!! I played single-player Quake a ton back in the day and slightly less back in the day, but never without cheating until a year or two ago. Even on easy, it was a completely different experience, and those little blue blobs still scare the piss out of me. The Vores are jerks, and the claw dudes and abominable snow men are kinda cuddly, but I’m getting willies just thinking about those Spawns.

13. Wertymk says:

A games journalist declares quake as his first fps. In other news, I am officially old.

14. Paul B says:

My memories of Quake were of picking an insanely high resolution for my CRT, then being locked out of the game because I couldn’t reset the value. I can’t remember if I had to restart my PC or reinstall Quake to get the game working again. Oh, and also being one of the first games to use mouse look. Gamers nowadays with their fancy WASD and mouse look ;)

• Phantasma says:

Consider yourself lucky, i’m STILL using arrow keys for movement.
      I suspect part of the problem why i suck at MMOs is that my fingers can’t reach as many buttons that way.
      Keep telling myself for years to “relearn” and switch to WASD but i’m afraid i’m too old now for this major adjustment.
      The last part sadly was even semi-serious.

edit:
      Dang, i wanted to post this as a response to the post below. It does almost fit in here as well but if a moderator could move me, that would be very much appreciated.

• jrodman says:

I don’t agree. I think with keyboard move you can reach *more* buttons. I say this as someone who played a fury/arms warrior in WOW as his first character and used two-hands to stance-dance and use almost all the abilities.

Basically, your move-hand is nearer the other keys, so you can use both hands to push buttons.

The advantage of mouse-moving is that your movement is so much more fluid. In general it gives you a pretty noticable upgrade in overall control. If you want to make the jump, just start doing it during some game’s easy learn-to-play levelling or tutorial section.

phuzz says:

This is the game that first taught me that mouse and keyboard was better than just using the arrow keys to look and move (it took many years for me to stop remapping the movement controls to the arrow keys and just use WASD instead though).
    Oddly I don’t remember playing much Quake. Probably because I still had an Amiga then, and thus shunned such gaudy fripperies as true 3D. By the time I had access to a PC Quake had become Quake 2, the engine for which had just been sold to a small company of ex-Microsofties called Valve…

• melnificent says:

We had this one guy at college that could M+K and he would mop us up constantly. I struggled to learn K+M over K only, but stuck with it just so I could finally get the drop on him.

DM6 was the practice map. I can remember every turn and nook and cranny of it even now.

16. deadly.by.design says:

Somehow, I played Quake to the soundtrack of classical Violin music and complemented it amazingly.

It also introduced me to the botmatch.

• Walt says:

Heh, I used to play it to the Phantom of the Opera (mostlyfirst act, I seem to recall).

17. disorder says:

Hm. What can’t I think about Quake. It pretty much defined PC Gaming, and the entire internet to me at the time. In the context of the day of course, even on a P90 in software it was a leap year ahead in technology, and 3dfx, even in that awful glow-bright glquake was a night and day (uh) difference.

Not to mention what it brought to multiplayer games. Did it invent it; not quite. But pretty much.

I’d have to say what it brought, for me more than anything else was atmosphere – and third party maps, (penumbra, ikspq to not even scratch the surface and later – nehahra’s 4 hour machinima movie, and a long ‘sequel’ campaign; zerstorer and it’s blood horror, in a vertical temple); and its exotic, runic ruins, oppressive and sinister environments that made me feel what games usually didn’t, before or since – immersed. And with tactically interesting situations, in cramped rooms and corridors, this still before maps became a barely-interactive line between various cutscenes (I watched mass effect 1/2/3 on youtube).

Doom did swarms of things, and that was its thing. Quake’s horror was more subtle, at least when it worked right. When you knew that ’empty’ room with a slipgate at the end wasn’t really empty. And there was so much third party content, much more than I can even remember. You didn’t even have to play it multi to run up a huge dialup phone bill.

It can still look pretty good too – link to icculus.org . John Carmack was kick of the 90’s as far as I’m concerned. Quake might seem superficially simplistic now, with its switches and keys but it’s still got more depth than almost anything I’ve played lately.

• aoanla says:

To be fair to Doom: the first Doom had its fair share of moody empty rooms that you just knew were going to throw hidden demons at you when you entered them.
      It’s only with some of the Doom II levels that it got the reputation for being pure “hordes of demons”.

18. piedpiper says:

I just finished Doom 1&2 and it’s way much better than Quake. Still I love Quake, but sometimes it was really brainhurting in terms of leveldesign (though I played it as a kid in 99, should replay it after DooM).

19. LionsPhil says:

Not past the shareware bit, no.

20. Shardz says:

I recall vividly after the Doom phenomenon had saturated and still left a hefty mark on my free time; the much hyped Quake finally came out (after the alpha version leaked on the Internet, giving us vast knowledge of an inevitable hardware upgrade). There I was with eyes like saucers trying to play this game on a 486DX2-66 machine with a frame rate of about 4fps – I could care less, it was just that hypnotic and fascinating.

The advent of this game would change the 3D gaming world forever, just as Doom had in its miraculous 2.5D glory. Playing deathmatch with your pals via 28.8k baud modems and seeing them skip across the screen due to inherent lag was just hilarious, and often very challenging to get a frag. But we loved it!

Ahhh, yes. The old days of PC gaming…gotta love it.

Johnny Law says:

Got over a 100 hours just according to the Steam tracker… god knows how much I actually sunk into it pre-Steam.

A lot of that 100 hours is playing custom maps. Great stuff still being released (cf. quaddicted.com). Grab QuakeSpasm — or whatever floats your boat as modern Quake engines go — and have at it.

22. NZLion says:

Reading the blurb on the front page and running through the level in my head… all I was thinking was: You’re not gonna grab the nailgun or double barrel shotgun?

23. Chorltonwheelie says:

Ziggurat Vertigo. Yeah Man.

24. MacBeth says:

This inspired me to redownload and play, only it wouldn’t run – winquake.exe would stop working immediately. Google led me to this: link to forums.steampowered.com
    tl:dr – Add winquake.exe (in your relevant steam subfolder) to the exceptions list for Data Execution Prevention in Advanced System Settings so that it doesn’t get mistaken for a dodgy executable.
    Hope that helps someone!

• vorador says:

Or…you know, you could use the several alternate engines like darkplaces and enjoy both an improvement in graphics and not having to fiddle with settings.

• aoanla says:

This. There are so many fantastic improvements on the original Quake engine, thanks to Carmack’s opensourcing-after-a-few-years policy, that there’s really no reason to try to get the originals to work.

• XhomeB says:

I use DirectQ – it tries to remain as faithful to the original as possible, which I appreciate.

25. aoanla says:

While Quake wasn’t my first experience of FPS games (that was probably Space Hulk on the Amiga, although if that doesn’t count, Gloom was also on the Amiga), it was my first IBM-compatible PC game, and basically one of the reasons I was glad to have been able to convince my parents that we should move from an Amiga to PCs in around 1997 (I got it second hand, which was also awesome as a 17 year old, as well as being able to get Doom too).

While the single player mode made an impact on me with the impressive for the time 3d visuals, it was really the multiplayer deathmatch which was formative for me (we might have sneakily managed to get copies of Quake onto some of the school network a year later, and the original Team Fortress was a staple of our after-school deathmatch sessions). That said, the single player mode’s moody and semi-accidentally-schizophrenic art direction, and the gloriously effective soundtrack by Trent Reznor were certainly influences in my ideas about what games could do. Quake 2 was a poor sequel for me just from the coherence of its setting and the more mainstream rock-metal soundtrack.

26. edwardoka says:

What is this question?

I mean, I know what all the words mean but the question itself is surely meaningless?

If your answer is anything other than “Don’t be ridiculous, this is a PC gaming website, everyone here has played Quake”, get off my damn lawn.

Grumble grumble O R’lyeh grumble grumble

27. AshRolls says:

Quake made me. UKCL / MCW / UKOOL. #quake.uk :)

28. fish99 says:

Gotta agree with some of the comments above – Quake, while a good game, never reached the heights of Doom/Doom2. Enemies were fairly dull, weapons not great, it didn’t have a lot of music but what it did have wasn’t memorable, sound effects fairly weak, limited palette, low poly counts, low animation frequency. In contrast Doom 2 was a near perfect game for what it was trying to achieve.

I did like Quake 2 though.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Quake 2 was the closest we ever really got to Doom 3.
      Well, I guess Doom 4 might end up being Doom 3. Stranger things have happened.

• Robin says:

Deathmatch.

• fish99 says:

I get that it was a great deathmatch game, but my opinion has to be based on how I played Quake, which was just single player.

29. crbnz says:

It’s critical to note the steam version is missing the soundtrack due to expired licenses so download Ultimate Quake Patch to get the soundtrack back (and an improved engine).

I also recommend putting “gl_texturemode gl_nearest_mipmap_linear” into console for delightfully crunchy pixels =D

30. Razumen says:

Yes of course, but I preferred Hexen 2, the dark medieval fantasy clone that improved the engine and gameplay in a lot of ways.

But if I must stay on topic for the Quake series, then Quake 2 was my absolute favorite of all of them, the modding community really made some gems for that game.

• jrodman says:

Sell me on Hexen 2? I tried to play it many times but always got stuck at some point being unsure which way to progress.

31. MartinWisse says:

I remember when Quake first came out, in 1996, and I got the demo from an issue of PC Plus, iirc, together with the demo for the first Tomb Raider. Bliss it was in those days to be alive.

Played a hell of a lot of multiplayer Quake in uni, after we’d already exhausted the pleasures of Duke Nukem 3d. Playing from eight to half ten, then race down to the student pub to take advantage of happy hours and buy enough beer to last us the rest of the night.

Quake was the first game I can remember getting motion sickness off.

32. arghstupid says:

I never loved the single player game, but mods – the fact mods became a thing – that was amazing. Deathmatch bots in a time when enemy AI consisted of drawing a straight line directly toward the player, that seemed like magic.

33. April March says:

No! I just realized this now… I got free versions of several bit FPS’s in my youth (of course those were just the shareware versions) but I never got a version of Quake that run. My identity is shattered!

34. Pointy says:

If anyone here is interested in getting involved with a Quake based community,
    I highly recommend : link to quakeone.com

A really helpful group of people that still regularly play co-op & multiplayer.
    Also if you want to upgrade Quake with HD content, this thread is a good start :
    link to quakeone.com

Shameless plug for my two Quake TCs :
    link to indiedb.com
    link to indiedb.com

I am currently working on my third TC before moving onto Unity.
    Best regards,
    Adam.

35. Barberetti says:

I still do play it. Best FPS ever with the most brutal deathmatch, helped by the atmosphere generated by the awesomely moody dank grimy levels, and the fantastic NIN soundtrack. Shame they never made a proper (or worthy) sequel to it.

• Kaeoschassis says:

It’s funny, normally I’d defend Quake 2 to my grave, but I think I get your point. It was a very different beast, and we haven’t ever really had anything quite like Quake 1’s world since. I’ve never agreed with the ‘drab and boring’ arguments people pin on it, and while I don’t like the actual game much, I’d love another Quake themed like the first one.

36. Craxel says:

With a Rift headset I played through a few custom mappacks. The Quake look suits the grainy quality of the rift dev kit quite well, can cut the atmosphere with a knife etc, and the decoupled aiming works great (you don’t have to aim with your head!).

Do give it a try if you have the goggles:

link to github.com

37. Jason Moyer says:

The first Id game I really liked, and the last one until Rage. It’s kind of crazy that with all of the games that have come out in the past 10 years claiming to have been influenced by old school shooters, nothing has ever really captured the experience of playing Quake.

38. faelnor says:

That industrial dark fantasy Cthulhu (or something) setting is something I would have expected to stick with people like it did with me and that its exposure would be oversaturated by today. Instead, most things that came later took inspiration from Quake 2, its bland industrial sci-fi w/ space marines world and its stupid Strogg. This left me very unhappy and, still today, I would give many an euro to revisit similar magical and demonic lands of filth.

Quake is in my top 5 FPS games, well above anything else Id Software produced even though I had played/loved Doom 1 & 2 to death when it came out. The setting, the true 3D and verticality in the gameplay made it a better game for me and I still think it requires more skill than Doom, with better rewards for playing well. Oh and the music is still a regular of my playlists. A masterful dark ambient soundtrack by every existing standard.

It’s important to note that the mapping community is still very alive today, and there are incredible levels you can play for free if you get that Quake itch.
    Visit quaddicted.com for a nice list of maps that you can sort by users’ rating. sock’s Hordes of Zendar or czg’s Honey are a good starting point. Grab Quakespasm to play them as they were intended.

• kyrieee says:

Yes, Quake’s setting is much more interesting than the space marine stuff. I love it for its weirdness, it’s such a strange mix of things, and how many shooters have a grenade launcher that’s actually useful? Just thinking about it makes me want to go gib some zombies.

39. damoqles says:

Still love it. Still love Doom 1&2 much-much more.

40. iainl says:

All this nostalgia has made me realise that for both Doom and Quake I really don’t remember much past the Shareware content. I had the full versions of both games, but not right away, and so most of my memories are from the first episode.

A fact helped also by the way that the first episode of Doom is far better than the other two; “hell” doesn’t feel like a real place the way the base does.

41. Robin says:

It saddens me that more people didn’t play Quake at the time and haven’t gone back to it since. It was a huge deal at the time and laid so much of the groundwork for modern PC games. I did the whole ‘experience’: following the hype and dripfeed of info along with the online Doom community in the run up to launch, downloading QTest and running it on a 486 machine that technically shouldn’t have been able to run it at all (remember the turtle icon for low framerate?), counting down the days until the full release, then spending an inordinate amount of time and effort on scraping together enough friends’ PCs to play weekend LAN games. Then the expansion packs and mods (CTF) started appearing.

I basically bought my first PC and first (pre-GPU) 3D card on the back of deathmatch Quake. It looked amazing as well, in terms of art direction. You could still put (well composed) Quake screenshots in a coffee table book, whereas contemporary early 3D games (GoldenEye, Duke, Tomb Raider) look ridiculous now.

particlese says:

Heh, I was too young and not connected (via internet or magazines) at the time to know Quake was incoming, but several years after I had played it, I realized I had seen it demoed at some gaming cafe on the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk. I was nuts about Doom at the time — drawing maps on paper, swapping imaginary cheats with friends, idspispopd-ing (etc) my way through the shareware a million times and watching my Dad and older sister play it legitimately — and all I remember was the guy in the cafe saying something about it being “the next Doom”, and that it’s not out yet, and then Holy butts, you can swim in the water!! Like, under the blue (and therefore water) floor in Doom E1M1!! It was awesome. I also remember reading something in a magazine while standing by an antique Coca-Cola machine about Thor in relation to the inspiration for Quake and/or its axe, but that’s just as fuzzy a memory, despite the specificity.

Quake 2 was what made me save up to buy a Riva TNT for my Dad’s computer, though. Colored lighting! Smooth…everything!! Whaddya mean it’s brown? Stupid future-man… Anyway, despite my at-the-time enthusiasm for and owndership of Quake 2, I’m still somehow fonder of Quake 1 and its chunky pixels and dudes these days. I put Unreal up on that pedistal, too, but that one’s a year older than your oldest “contemporary” there.

42. mindfieldzx says:

I want to take this time to inform anyone who wants to get back into playing Quake1 multiplayer, we still exist!
    We still play online multiplayer (NetQuake and QuakeWorld respectively,even though I don’t play QW, I’m a heavy NQ player).

Anyone wishing to get their hands dirty with a classic arena FPS need only visit us at Quakeone.com and register.
    I found out about this article thanks to one of the other admins making a news post pointing to this article, and I am so happy that RPS ran this article. I’m willing to help anyone directly 1on1 getting setup whether they want classic looking Quake or a more modern enhanced graphics setup.

Viva La Quake

• krait says:

There are also people still modding the game. Someone was at Ludum Dare with a Quake based game recently.

43. Jakkar says:

What’s the best way for me to play Quake as it’s meant to be? I dislike the idea of needing to struggle to get the music into the Steam version, and as a NiN fan that’s absolutely mandatory.

44. MadGypsy says:

Personally, I don’t feel like there is really anything special about quake as a playable game. It may have been innovative for its time but things have come a long way since then. What makes quake special is it’s open-sourceness, the ease of which you can create your own games based on that source, and the incredibly talented people that keep pushing its possibilities to the extreme.

The question here shouldn’t be whether you have ever played or liked quake. The question here should be more like…. have you played Quake on a modern client (DP, FTE, DirectQ, more). Have you dl’d the high res textures, music, high poly models and other accoutrements that modernize the game ? Do you realize that this game never died and the modern resources available for this game are nothing short of absolutely overwhelming. To say there are so many new maps that you probably couldn’t find the time to play them all in the rest of your entire life would be true for most. It’s even more insane when you realize there are a handful of pros which are still frequently releasing new maps. You’ll never catch up.

Steam? Forget Steam, Steam is stuck in 10 years ago for this game. You cant go to steam and have a one on one with the guy that built the engine you use. The engines, content and support we have for this game blows anything Steam will offer you completely out of the water.

Quakeone.com

P.S. Did I mention that even John Romero is a member, not an incredibly participatory one, but a member none-the-less. :D