“Like SpaceChem… In 3D”: Infinifactory Early Access Out

Yeah, you make those things!

A new game from Zach Barth is probably something to coo and poke and beam and gawp at, even as an Early Access release. His past games including the Minecraft-inspiring Infiniminer and RPS-pleasing SpaceChem, and his latest looks to combine elements of the two. Infinifactory is a sandbox puzzler about building and optimising production lines to create products to please your alien overlords. They always take a hard line on slacking and slop, alien overlords do.

Zachtronics call it “Like SpaceChem… in 3D”, and it’s not just a cheeky tagline. Similiar to the chemical-building puzzler, it’s about setting up conveyer bets and chains of actions to rotate, shove, weld, stamp, machine, grind, and otherwise factoryise materials so a nice finished object plops off at the end. And now it’s in 3D. Interestingly, its single-player campaign does have a story with voice acting and all too.

It’s got a level editor with Steam Workshop support as well.

Infinifactory is £17.09 through Steam Early Access. Zachtornics do say that “The first available Early Access version corresponds with what we would have considered our ‘release version’ in the past,” so it’s presumably not a total mess. They plan to be in Early Access for 3-6 months, adding mini-campaigns with more blocks, puzzles, environments, products, and whatnot while acting on player feedback – things they’d usually do after launch. Have a launch trailer:

As the rest of Team RPS wake up in our treehouse this morning, I imagine they’ll start clawing, punching, scratching, biting, and crying to be the one who gets play and write more about it. I’ve scattered thumbtacks over the floor, left crude and brutal weapons in obvious places, and put the kettle on so I’ll have a nice cuppa as I settle down to watch.

1. Catchcart says:

The strange joy of Spacechem was that it married efficiency and creativity seemlessly. People called it a puzzle game but to my mind it always more than a whiff of creative sandbox game where you take pide and joy in your creations. I certinaly spent an inordinate amount of time just watching my little machines go, marvelling at my own cleverness. I really hope this game can recapture some of that.

• Tacroy says:

SpaceChem was a joy to play because it was essentially simulating an optimal work environment – you had a well-defined task, with very narrow boundaries restraining you but very wide latitude in your execution.

2. Tiax says:

Instabuy, if only to thank him for SpaceChem…

• Bernardo says:

Seconded. Also, even if this isn’t a repeat of the genius of SpaceChem, I trust him to make at least a good game. I also liked Ironclad Tactics.

3. hellboy says:

I’ve spent a couple of hours with this today, and it’s pretty great! Very polished for an Early Access title.

Oakreef says:

I’m not sure if a third dimension to work in would make SpaceChem harder or easier.

• Catchcart says:

Or better? True, sometimes you had to make awkward solutions because you’d run out of directions to turn your pipe but it was the kind of constraint that fostered creative thinking.

5. Bernardo says:

Yesyesyesss! I need more time… I introduced my 9 year old nephew to SpaceChem on Christmas, and he loves it (He kept asking me “can we go coding now?”). After a bit of assistance and with time, he’s really good at it. I expected him to fold or lose interest as soon as it gets more complicated, but even if it’s not always the most efficient solution, he usually gets there in the end.

yhancik says:

I’m sure that what people really want is SpaceChem With Guns

• LogicalDash says:

SpaceChem already had guns in some of the boss levels.

I mean, they were the size of factories, so — artillery, but that’s a kind of gun.

• TechnicalBen says:

You wish shall be granted:
      link to factorio.com
      (now please remember to free me on your last wish!)
      PS, it’s rather amazing I remembered that link/game name!

7. FreeTom says:

Yep, I shall be getting this unless I hear dire warnings advising otherwise.

I hope it has a slightly more sympathetic learning curve than Spacechem, though. I have a history of writing computer programs for my own amusement and I could barely get halfway through it.

8. Rush Ton says:

Spacechem in 3d! I’m not sure my minds ready for that!

9. Tei says:

Howard – you have to have a party.
    OK, fine, if you’re going to force me to have a party, I will have a party. But not your party, because I have decided to have… a LAN party.
    What’s a LAN party?
    It’s fairly self-explanatory. Everybody links up their PCs to create a local area network or LAN. And in this case, to facilitate a marathon session of Infiniminer. It’s a game. We play a game.
    What kind of game?
    It’s a bit like Minecraft, but more limited and less popular. And thus, far superior.

hahaha… good stuff :D

10. stblr says:

I was all over this the second it was released on Early Access, and to my immediate dismay and disorientation, there was no option to invert the mouse y-axis (yes, I’m one of those). A definite impact on my enjoyment of the game but something I could adapt to, and damn it, I was going to play this game.

I forged ahead and found something wonderful–more timing-based than SpaceChem, but it pushes all of those same “I am a goddamn mental wizard” buttons–but regardless I decided to tweet Zach about my issue. He replied to me telling me he was working on it, and he pushed a new build out to Steam in less than 2 hours adding an invert y option. What a guy. What a game.

• Jekhar says:

As a fellow y-axis-inverter, let me thank you heartily!

• stblr says:

No need to thank me, I got the impression it was on the shortlist of Zach’s To Do’s anyway. All the same, that level of feedback and customer service is rarely seen and always appreciated.

• goertzenator says:

Relying on timing eventually breaks down as the puzzles get more sophisticated and you’ll have to get into synchronization. And the beauty is there is no SpaceChem “sync” part; you have to invent your own flow controls from more primitive pieces.

11. Matt_W says:

Will buy immediately. SpaceChem is one of my top 5 games of all time. Zach Barth is one of the most inventive, responsive and coolest developers out there.

12. 0positivo says:

Surely I can’t be the only one who couldn’t stomach Spacechem? I never really understood why… I love playing things like factorio or building super-complex systems in highly modded minecraft, but spacechem… really never clicked with me

13. Bernardo says:

I have one complaint: mandatory Early Access questionnaire after every puzzle? Seriously? And stupid questions like “Was that puzzle fun for you?” or “Too easy/too hard”? After I solved it, it can’t be too hard. I’m filling out these stupid shit evaluations all the time in my job, and I get them too, and they don’t say anything about anything.

Now, I really want this to become a good game, so I can’t bring myself to just randomly click somewhere. But for real, lose it. It won’t help. It won’t help development of the game, it won’t help the players. I trust Zach to design good puzzles, and I don’t want to have “fun”, I want to despair at the sheer complexity, I want to feel the rush of a good solution, I want to feel the emotional dive when I realise that my solution didn’t work although it seemed perfect, the anger when something somewhere doesn’t work, the renewed rush when I realise what’s the problem, and the high when everything runs smoothly.

• Sivart13 says:

So far I haven’t been generating too many Feelings about the post-puzzle surveys (maybe I’m just not finishing a lot of puzzles) but your words make sense.

14. strangeloup says:

I am too dumb to get very far in SpaceChem (although I like it, at least in theory), so I suspect adding an extra dimension will just break my head.

15. Moe45673 says:

I loved Spacechem. One of my top games of all time. The news that this exists made my day, picked me up with a much needed boost. On my Steam wishlist