Project CARS Is Still A Good Reason To Have Eyes

My steering wheel is sat on the floor collecting dust, while the pedals below my desk are used more for footsie than for acceleration. Project CARS will be the reason I next set it up, I reckon. I’m not a huge fan of racing games – I prefer my vehicles to be driven within a speed limit in service of the delivery of goods – but it looks so pretty. I want to see the puddles go sploosh and the cars go shimmer, and the latest trailer isn’t enough.

I guess sometimes I wish I wasn’t so easily seduced by reflective surfaces and lighting effects, but I am. I’ve watched this trailer a few times now, returning to double-check if it’s trying to communicate anything of greater substance. Does it contain some feature we didn’t previously know about, or is it simply confirming some essential purchase information? The answer to both seems to be ‘No.’ There’s not even a release date at the end. This trailer is pure humblebrag, an animated tweet saying, “Never expected a few years ago how many cars I would have and how pretty I would be.”

Though the trailer doesn’t think to say so, Project CARS was previously projected to be projected from its developer’s maw on March 20th, following a delay from an initial November release.

1. Cinek says:

So many good games, so little time…
    I’m totally hyped for this title. Can’t wait to grab it after the release.
    Though I’ll have to get a new wheel – my older one snapped in half pressed by over 100kg while moving out from the old flat :/

2. Runty McTall says:

Next year we plan to build a study on the side of our house. I have already got a sketchup model of how this will become a gaming mancave, with two top end gaming machines side by side, network sockets in the wall (1Gbps inside the house, 100Mbs broadband), monitors mounted on adjustable arms and a wall length “desk” surface at a suitable height for steering wheels and with enough room for joysticks and such like alongside keyboards and mice (hate moving between plans and foot in FPS when you have to toss the joystick off the desk to get back to your keyboard).

To this I intend to add Star Citizen / Elite, a decent driving game (CARS looks good!) and a commercial version of the Occulus rift (perhaps the second version, if I can summon up the self control to resist the always somewhat rough around the edges first release).

Once that lot is in place I’m seriously uncertain about what my remaining unfulfilled goals in life will be. I expect I die from lack of water within three days of getting it up and running. Those three days should be pretty awesome though :)

• SanguineAngel says:

go forth and live that bright, brief dream for all of us. We will build a shrine on the spot of your dehydrated demise and make pilgrimage if we ever find the time between life and gaming

• Havalynii says:

Brother, just get an IV drip going, have the spare bags stockpiled next to your Dr. Pepper and chips.

3. Scissors says:

Has any racing game had more trailers than pCARS? This must be the 101th.

4. Hunchback says:

I suck terribly bad at racing games, but i am always drown to atleast give them a few hours, drive around and see how badly i suck before uninstalling them because it’s hopeless… :D

This game LOOKS very realistic tho, in the moments when the trailer is not slow-mo, the video kind of seems way more real than other games i’ve seen or played. It must be something with the came shake i think, it’s not too stable but doesn’t seem to bounce all over the place, it -feels- like watching out my car window while driving over rougher terrain.
    This will probably be a great game for racing pros, a friend of mine already has it and says it’s quite impressive…

• P.Funk says:

By all reports the physics will be sub part compared to some less pretty but more rigorously modeled titles.

Thats a point of contention but when you look at the extensive list of cars coming out with this title its hard to believe they went in depth to make sure every one of them is spot on.

5. vorador says:

Well, if anything it looks pretty damn good. If it plays as good as it looks, this one will be the best driving game in a very long time.

6. SuicideKing says:

Any steering wheel recommendations that don’t break the bank?

• Runty McTall says:

I would like a steering wheel set up with pedals (including clutch) and , if possible, a separate gear stick such that I can put it on the left (where it belongs!). Most gear sticks are moulded into the wheel somehow and, understandably given the relative rarity of people that drive on the left, are on the right.

In anyone knows one of them (non-rubbish force feedback too!) that is reasonably priced then please chip that it too. I suspect my requirements list is basically incompatible with “low price” though, alas.

• P.Funk says:

Driving Force GT, used on Craigslist (usually means played three times then put in a closet for 5 years). You don’t need anything else til you’re actually any good. G27 is overpriced for what basically amounts to getting a crummy stick shift and a clutch pedal.

Must more economical to get a DFGT and then some separate pedals, like Fanatecs.

• ikehaiku says:

As they say.
      Cheapest but still enjoyable option is the DFGT – bonus points if you can get it used used. Bought mine for 60€ used, sold it for almost as much when I’ve upgraded to a G27. Beware that it lacks a clutch.
      Then – G27. Overpriced as of now (around 280€ here), but goes on sale often for 180 to 220€ often (the right price IMHO).

• iainl says:

Whatever wheel you choose, just make sure that you buy one that’s got a 900-degree turning circle. I’ve got an ancient Driving Force USB, and it’s only 200 degrees, so Assetto Corsa is absurdly twitchy – understandably, since it’s simulating cars with much more turning available. DFGT is what I’ll probably upgrade to if I see a bargain, though part of me is considering holding out for the ludicrously expensive Thrustmaster that’s compatible with the PS4, in case I get one plus DriveClub (which I do really, really want to play).

• dazman76 says:

If you’re talking PC only, the G27 has to be one of the best recommendations. If you go much cheaper, you’ll honestly regret it – I’ve always hated how expensive good wheels are, but I’ve always had to admit that they’re actually worth it – if you love your racing :)

Driveclub – ye gads, save yourself and don’t go there. Game threw it into the GTA5 PS4 bundle I bought, and thank christ I didn’t pay for it. You put one wheel off the track for a split second, and the game immediately slows you down, instead of letting you pay for your mistake or attempt to rescue it. You then get a timer – maybe 1.5 seconds later, demanding you get back on the track within 3 seconds – all the time, crippling your speed like you’re a toddler who stole a car. Also, any collision with AI – be it your fault or theirs – results in yet more slowdown for you, and FA punishment for the AI – I had to turn it off before my PS4 controller broke my teeth.

Utterly terrible, and has the usual “drive this heap, maybe you can have something better later” mentality from the get-go.

• Llewyn says:

Sadly the G27 seems to be pretty much the only valid recommendation for mid-range wheels now. A couple of years ago the Fanatec Carrera was a viable (cheaper, and IMO better) alternative to the G27, but it appears to have been sacrificed in Fanatec’s relentless move upmarket – their entry-level wheel/pedals/shifter combo is now €360 plus shipping.

• rpsKman says:

Any controller will work with this, it’s not a driving simulator, just a racing game.

• P.Funk says:

You do realize how silly that comment sounds right?

Driving is easy. Racing is hard. Racing requires precision at the limits of grip hitting the apexes of turns at high speed and overall an attention to consistency. Force Feedback provides some ability to judge grip and the overall state of the car better. Without that you’re basically learning to drive visually and through rote repetition of action on tracks, which means the moment you get pushed out of the proper line by an opponent you’re screwed because you have no idea what you’re doing.

You can enjoy racing games fine with a controller, but with a racing sim you want a wheel. Its like flying DCS without a stick… its kind of missing the point.

• rpsKman says:

Of course. I’d never play rFactor 2 or GSC with a controller, but this? C’mon, it’s a mix of Shift and Grid. Don’t be fooled by marketing!

• SuicideKing says:

Thanks, all. I had spotted the G27 a while back but it’s selling for a current equivalent of £205, which is breaking the bank for me. The Driving Force GT has its gearshift on the right, it’ll drive me mad.

Ah well, I guess I’ll just save up for a few more months…

7. RARARA says:

One thing I really like about automotive culture is that history isn’t forgotten easily. Even in the shiniest of the newest trailer they have tucked away an old McLaren F1, a BMW M1, a couple of Mk2 Ford GT40s…

8. SlimShanks says:

People just don’t understand how important cars are to world events. Why does the US suffer from a depression epidemic? The Ford Cosworth RS was never available there. Why has Japan suffered a similar problem in the last decade? They stopped producing the 350Z. Italy having financial difficulties? Lamborghini was sold to Audi several years ago. North Americans have no work ethic anymore? Our Ford F-150’s don’t get us to work anymore.
    Anywho, so many trailers, and every one of them sends a shiver up my spine. This is basically a guaranteed purchase for me, despite not having extensive tuning, or any car customization apart from paint, and no mod support. Also not a huge car list.
    The dozens of hours per car I put into tuning my vehicles in Forza remain some of my fondest memories. And the revelation that if I made a Vauxhall Monaro handle decently it was so wide that it couldn’t be passed in corners, and powerful enough that it was competitive in the straights.

• apa says:

They stopped 350z?! Why! To make more Almeras?

• Dogsbody says:

to, uh, make the 370z?

• rpsKman says:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

• SlimShanks says:

I understand that there were safety concerns with the 350Z, and a new version had to be released, but why oh why did they have to ruin the looks of one of the greatest affordable sports cars ever? Nissan should be publicly shamed for such an offense.

9. Chaz says:

I just wish they could marry a game like this or Assetto Corsa with a game like Test Drive Unlimited. I love the idea of burning around in growly fast cars. I’d just rather be doing it on the open road, weaving in and out of traffic, rather than looping round and round a track.

• SlimShanks says:

I’m pretty sure all gearhead simmers want that game. Too bad Forza Horizon wasn’t very good… or TDU 2, or The Crew, or Fuel…

10. trjp says:

I’m pretty sure that trailer is the first time SMS have included ‘actual gameplay’ shots (in car views) in a video – and it confirms something which I was worried about.

All those pretty graphics are out-of-car camera shots with filters and other shit applied.

In car, it’s garish and crass – shiny and bright and really not that nice to look at.

Maybe it’s just the shots they chose to use – but it remains a concern for me that the ‘pretties’ which have constituted almost all their output to-date are – essentially – post-processed replays and not actual ‘game’

• grundus says:

You could’ve also looked up the ‘videos’ tab of the Steam community hub for an indication of what the game looks like when you actually play it: link to steamcommunity.com . Wouldn’t be the first time a game looks prettier in trailers than it does to play, of course, but it still looks quite good.

11. specialsymbol says:

I recommend that you try RaceRoomRacing Experience in the meantime. I don’t have Project Cars yet, but R3E is about the best AND most realistic racing sim I’ve ever played.

It’s totally stunning. And it’s still not finished!

12. particlese says:

The details are amazing, but I was still ready to dismiss all the shinies as just shiny. I even had a “yeah, but it didn’t have” at the ready to impress myself with, but then… Then Ariel Atom showed up. I might be slightly in love with that car.