Sink Your Battleship: World Of Warships Beta Weekend

World of Warships was the game I found most surprising at last year’s Gamescom, because it seemed unclear how Wargaming.net’s fast-paced, competitive formula from Worlds of Tanks and Warplanes would translate to the slow, maritime maneuvering of carrier fleets. In practice, it felt fairly straightforward: make ’em faster, make ’em mouse controlled, and begin with a focus on PvE.

If you want to try it yourself, there’s a beta coming this weekend on Jan 24th and 25th, and you can signup via the Sign Up button on the game’s site.

If you manage to get into the beta – spaces are limited – then you’ll have access to things that I didn’t when I last played it, such as aircraft carriers. While the other ship types concern themselves with positioning and cannon fire, carriers are able to launch “fighters, dive bombers and torpedo bombers.” I don’t know what control you’ll have over those planes, but it was suggested at Gamescom that the experience would be closer to real-time strategy than the action of the other ships.

The beta, the game’s second, also brings new types of ship, four classes overall, and easier ways to play as a group of friends. Here’s a new trailer showing carriers and planes in action.

1. Askis says:

And apparently sign-ups are closed already…

• Fnord73 says:

yup.

Btw, I would really like it if trailers did include actual gameplay captures, not just fancy graphics that the ad-people created in a separate cubicle.

• Cinek says:

Actual gameplay doesn’t look that much different from the trailers. There’s an interface on top of what you see, but other than that this trailer is nothing like the Elite: Dangerous one. It’s actually showing the gameplay.

2. Syphus says:

Well, that signup went quick…shame, this is the one I’m really interested in.

• DarkFenix says:

It’s worth the interest (I’m an alpha tester), unless you’re expecting either something like Navy Field or a realistic naval battle sim, because it’s neither of those things. What it is is an arcadey naval battle game based on historic warships.

• Jack Straws says:

As far as you’ve tested it, would you recommend it to someone interested in PvE, but generally finds PvP scary?
        I’m not into competitive games, but this looks like good fun

• DarkFenix says:

It’s pretty relaxed compared to most PvP games I’ve played courtesy of the slower pace. In some classes of ship it’s pretty hectic, but in gunboats you tend to be staying a bit further back slinging shells at distant targets. There is also a cooperative PvE mode against bots, but 90% of the game is the competitive battles.

It’ll be free to play at any rate, so dip your toe in the water when the time comes and see if it suits your fancy.

• Cinek says:

There’s as much game in PvP as there is in PvE, really. Just more people play PvP, that’s all. Also for me PvE was more difficult than PvP. Most of human players are clueless, AI knows how to fight, even if it is much more predictable. If not the fact that there are some good players here and there in PvP I would stick to PvE.

• Cinek says:

“Bit strange that they’re banging on about carriers in that trailer though, those are one part of the game I think is still rather wonky.” – previous weekend test did not have them, so that’s a new thing for this weekend testers.

3. SubparFiddle says:

Thank you, Graham, for this wonderful advertisement for World of Warboats. The hourly quota has been fulfilled!