Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Ups The Banter

Are we nearly there yet?

I was reading through Dragon Age: Inquisition‘s 1.03 patch notes for the information on how the banter system has changed. I haven’t actually got to Inquisition yet in my playing of the series so I was kind of peeking but trying to squint so I could look away at the first sign of a spoiler* without having accidentally read the whole thing.

The banter change is just a minor change to make the chatter less random in when it occurs and thus avoid long periods of silence – a good thing I’d say (confidently, having not played Inquisition) because the banter is the reason I really warmed up to the series.

In terms of other fixes deemed noteworthy by the developers, Bioware, they have also been working to fix quest-blocking bugs for both Dorian and Sera’s personal quests and a spawning issue with Solas’s personal quest.

Which is nice.

But the notes also do what all good patch notes do and list a couple of fixes which conjure up excellent mental imagery when left without context:

“Fixed issue that could cause Varric’s legs to do odd things in some opt-in conversations.”

I never want to know what his legs were doing during all of this because it won’t be anywhere near as entertaining as the skit that’s playing out in my own mind right now.

“Fixed issue that could cause Harmon to disappear in certain circumstances.”

I don’t know who Harmon is, and I don’t care. In my own mind he’s some kind of genie, popping in and out of existence

*I mean I probably haven’t been entirely successful but what I’ve read has no context so unless it’s big plot stuff I won’t remember it.

1. The Godzilla Hunter says:

Does anyone know if this fixes the bug where you might not hear any banter at all and sometimes no background music?

2. Drake Sigar says:

Having Sera and Bull in the party is entertaining, they keep proposing new methods of combat. Last one was Sera’s suggestion where she stands ontop of Bull’s shoulders and they form a totem poll of death.

3. waltC says:

Banter usually becomes monotonous over time…what makes this banter different (if it’s different) ?

• Morph says:

Well they don’t repeat themselves if that’s what you mean.

• TormDK says:

Yup, there’s alot of banter between the various team members across the entire game. Most of it is pretty clever too.

If only they gave the multiplayer character the same love.

distantlurker says:

I’m 100 hours in (about 4/5 at a guess, I’m doing pretty much everything) and run with 2 teams depending on my mood (no spoilers). So far there’s been zero repeats and they haven’t run out of new things to say yet.

That’s a new one in my experience and very positive. (& Bull and Sera really are funny together).

• golem09 says:

Because it’s actualy whole conversations about various topics. Which hugely depend on the exact team layout. The banter will be completely different if you switch out 2 chars.

• Morph says:

I always took 1 warrior, 1 rogue and 1 wizard with me, but now I’m thinking how much I missed out on! What do Dorian and Vivienne think of each other? Do Cassandra and Iron Bull get on? I must know!

• amateurviking says:

The mages have some interesting thing to say to each other!

• Kiiyor says:

Cassandra and Iron Bull have some AMAZING banter.

Bull: “Great work back there. The way you backhanded that guy and then almost cut him in half? Awesome”
          Cass: “Uuh.. thanks”
          Bull: “Are you as turned on as I am right now?”
          Cass: “Am I what??”
          Bull: “Nevermind, that would be impossible”

I’ve just noticed that the dialog in these exchanges is different depending on your romance options too. If you romance Bull, after that exchange he adds “Hey, Seeker… can I have the boss borrow your armour later? For… personal reasons”
          Cass: “No”
          Bull: “Come on, i’ll clean it after!”

• Juke says:

True, they all do have interesting things to say. Actually, interesting, as in related to their character and history. Like Cassandra and Blackwall mostly talk about serious things like commitment to a worthy cause, sacrifice, etc. But then you throw the jokier Iron Bull in the mix, and you get this instead:

Iron Bull: Hey, Seeker, if I hit a guy high while you go low, you think we could get him to flip?
          Cassandra: Flip?
          Iron Bull: Yes. Ass over tea kettle, you know.
          Cassandra: I… suppose that could be done?
          Iron Bull: I’ve always wanted to get a guy to flip!

That Cassandra is simultaneously bewildered yet willing to try just makes it work. :)

4. Molay says:

I haven’t been following DA:I since it’s release. I got a refund shortly after playing it, as I really didn’t like the feeling of the PC controls.
    Can somebody tell me if those got overhauled significantly? Does it resemble DA:O or DA2 now from the PC controls and UI?
    Most notably:
    – Clicking on a corpse will make you walk automatically to it for looting.
    – Tactical camera can be zoomed out further.
    – Inventory rehaul, so it’s less abysmal than vanilla Skyrim.
    – Spells and abilities in the hotbar have a meaningful tooltip.
    Has any of those been accomplished?

Thanks,
    Molay

• TormDK says:

There’s been no changes in that regard.

• golem09 says:

I completely ditched my perception of the game as a classic CRPG. I play it more like Dragon’s Dogma, so basically an action game. With a controller of course.

• inf says:

You expected a present day Bioware release to be inspired by classical CRPGs? *chuckle* The whole dev team basically grew up on WoW, so that’s what you get pall. A single player MMORPG with absolutely no depth across the board. An enitire world designed as a backdrop for uninspired fetch quests, pubescent characters and dialoge, and trash console controls to boot (the game actually plays best on a controller).

Anyone that loves CRPGs shouldn’t ever touch anything contemporary Bioware releases, not even with a 10ft pole.

• karthink says:

” An enitire world designed as a backdrop for uninspired fetch quests, pubescent characters and dialog”

I must have played some other game, then. Borderlands is my idea of a single-player MMO. Inquisition is a standard Bioware action-RPG with well fleshed out companions, an uninspired main plot and play areas that are way larger than before.

The keyboard controls are atrocious, on that we agree.

• golem09 says:

No…. I didn’t?
          I ditched that expectation before the game ever came out, and started playing the game like a bad Dragon’s Dogma clone.

boundless08 says:

I’m agreeing with inf on this one. The worlds and landscape are beautiful, that frostbite engine is too legit too quit! But the maps to me are too big, they just feel vapid with nothing to do in them. I usually love big open games with massive maps but I don’t think there’s enough to do(and also enough FUN things to do). I’ve only played 20 hours or so, so maybe that changes with the later maps but so far they all get a bit meh after an hour or so exploring them.

• welverin says:

I too use a controller, I just wish doing so didn’t completely disable the keyboard in game. That was rather annoying when I replaced my controller and forgot to connect the new one and to alt tab out and force close the game because it wouldn’t respond to any inputs.

5. Ivan says:

So, I only started playing DA:I recently, but this is banter-related:

I’ve gotten to Level 10ish as of last night, but am still bonking around in the Hinterlands and Storm Coast, haven’t gotten to Skyhold (whatever that even is) yet, etc. I only got the horse last night, too. Rode around on the horse for a few minutes, then realized that companions don’t exist or banter while you’re horsing… so goodbye horse, forever. FOREVER.

I like the banter a lot, but I think it’s lame that they removed the “speak to companion” feature when you’re out in the world. Sure, it wasn’t really there in DA:O, but in DA2 you could get a quip or two for each location from each companion, whereas you can’t even click your companions now.

• Grygus says:

It was there in DA:O, too. For me, some of the best stuff was asking Leiliana what she knew about each major location. Didn’t work in all of them but sometimes she’d have some stories about the place.

• karthink says:

OMG please get out of the Hinterlands and do a couple of main quests. The game really opens up afterwards. You can return to the Hinterlands later, although I doubt you’ll want to.

I mean, if you’re sufficiently engaged, fine, but many people dropped the game entirely after they got bored of the menial quests in the Hinterlands. (You do not need to touch any of the fetch quests or other MMO fare to get enough whatever points.)

• Ivan says:

No worries, mate. (I’ll doubt you’ll ever see this since it’s a reply to a reply on a main page post that’s now on Page 2, but…)

I actually went something like bonk around Hinterlands -> bonk around Storm Coast -> more Hinterlands -> Champions of the Just -> more Hinterlands -> more Storm Coast and about to do In Your Hearts Shall Burn right now.

The main quests are likely to be delicious, but I want to space them out or else the game will feel fairly short and not lived-in. There’s not that much forced companion interaction a la DA2, as far as I can tell, so doing the open-world romping is what gives you some decent character development through party banter.

• Juke says:

In Your Heart Shall Burn is when the game went from feeling like an affable action-RPG thing to a BIOWARE GAME(tm). Which I mean in the best way, presuming you like how they do character development and story. It is precisely where they hit their stride on the main plot arc. You may have even played it by now, but hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

6. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

“Fixed Masterwork Prowler Armor so it no longer distorts on certain characters.”

Well let’s hope the same is true for the Battlemaster variant ( mad floating shoulderpad), i guess i’ll check for myself as soon as my third world internet starts to play nice again.

7. Chaoslord AJ says:

Unlimited inquisition point exploit doesn’t seem to work anymore now. Sad but I guess it’s for the better.
    Cancelling a frozen effect with mighty blow now does some more cold damage instead of zero. Nice.

8. Fnord73 says:

Todays sacrilege: Just bought DA:2 on console, and its a pretty good game, actually, except for the stupid stupid design. The tightness of the story, just being in the city. None of the “grand Demon is coming/Chosen One” tropes. Someone should make a Grand Theft Dragon Age all set in a huge city, the best of both worlds.

• bleeters says:

If only it kept up the story being based on clashes of ideology rather than falling back on their standard Corrupting Ancient Evil.

I do like DA2, but it was unfortunately obvious that it got pushed out the door before it was actually done. Bioware games have felt like that for a while now, sadly.