First Look: Battlefleet Gothic – Armada

The news that an adaptation of Games Workshop’s Battlefleet Gothic was in development made for happy reading last week but solid facts were thin on the ground. We knew that the game would be real-time rather than turn-based, which was cause for concern in some quarters, and that four factions would be available. Now, following a meeting with the developers yesterday, I have all of the details necessary to soothe concerns. Armada is packed with clever ideas and I’ve dissected them below.

How does a dynamic campaign including possible Exterminatus orders on planets that fall under enemy control sound? How about captains with skills that develop over time and personalities that can lead them to disobey orders? Of course, this being the grImperium, anyone showing disobedience to a superior’s commands can be executed, restoring order. The chain of events that can lead to an individual execution or a planetwide Exterminatus seem like they’re key to an understanding of the game Tindalos are hoping to make. Armada isn’t aiming to be a direct digital adaptation of the Battlefleet rules but it won’t be a linear RTS wearing borrowed insignia and uniform from a popular mythology.

The two aspects outlined above – the possible fates of planets and of captains – help to explain how campaign and combat will work, and how they’ll capture the flavour of Warhammer 40k.

First, let’s cover combat. It’s realtime, with no turn-based option, but the pace will be slow enough to allow for careful planning, as befits the hulking great ships that are at the heart of the game. Naval battles are the inspiration, so manoeuvring into position to launch broadside attacks or ramming or boarding actions will be more important than being able to monitor and operate hundreds of weapon systems simultaneously. Apart from your Admiral’s ship, every vessel in your fleet will respond to the changing situation during a mission without waiting for commands from on high. While you can directly intervene, the fleet should be able to handle itself thanks to a set of behaviours assigned before battle commences.

You’ll choose those behaviours yourself, and can alter them mid-mission if necessary, which should provide a sense of control without the need for rapid micromanagement. As an example, Tindalos showed a set of disengagement options, instructing a captain to pull out of combat when his ship had taken a certain amount of damage. Perhaps you want him to disengage early because you’ve spent a fortune upgrading his weapons systems, or because the crew are particularly talented and should definitely live to fight another day. Whatever the case, as soon as the threshold is reached, he should activate his warp drive and scarper.

A particularly brave captain might refuse the order, however, insisting that his crew be reduced to space dust rather than retreating. At this point, you have a choice – allow him to follow his dreams of glory/death, or put your foot down and force obedience. If you choose the former course, dissent within the ranks will grow and other captains will become more likely to rebel against orders, but if you rattle the chain of command, a ‘Blame’ point will be assigned to the captain. If he accrues three, he’s for the chop, publicly executed to set an example. All glory to the Emperor.

Executing a captain means that all of his experience and skills are lost, which is a bad thing. But, on the flip side, all dissent vanishes when an execution takes place, so all other captains should be a little more obedient, at least for a while. It’s not clear how many personality types the final game will contain but the friction between player-set behaviours and occasional disobedience should make the scale of battles easier to manage while ensuring there are difficult choices to make as conflict develops.

The campaign map should offer something similar – difficult decisions, along with fleet management, rather than linear progression. It’s a dynamic simulation of the war for the Gothic system. All four factions will be in play – Eldar, Ork, Imperium and Chaos – but while all are available in multiplayer and skirmish modes (the latter not yet confirmed but likely), players will always control an Imperial fleet. There’ll be a two player cooperative option as well as the single player mode, and the campaign map is dynamic, with non-player Imperial fleets in action alongside the invading forces.

Rather than gathering territory and expanding your power, the main objective at the beginning of the game will be to defend what is already yours. The whole system is under Imperial control when the game begins and you’ll be zipping about in an attempt to protect planets from the three enemy factions. If a planet does fall under the control of the Orks, Chaos or Eldar, the Imperium might set a date for Exterminatus, destroying the entire population and removing any resources generated by the territory out of the game. Movement on the campaign map is turn-based and once an Exterminatus order is set, a turn timer will tick down next to the planet. If you don’t reclaim it before the timer hits zero, it’ll be eliminated.

Armada’s end-game concerns Abaddon the Despoiler and his Black Legion, and there will be specific missions that relate to understanding and vanquishing the Chaos fleet, but the other factions will have their own story missions as well. While they won’t be playable during the campaign, multiplayer will support all four factions and just as in single player, your fleet can be customised and will be persistent from one battle to the next. Characters gain experience and skills, and ships can have new equipment added, including weapons and other subsystems. There’ll be around sixty possible upgrades for ships and, deliciously, Chaos vessels can use any Chaos Mark to alter the appearance and abilities of their vessels.

During combat, specific systems can be damaged, disabled and targeted, and repairs will cost either money or require time out of the fray. If a ship’s warp-drive is knocked out, it’ll be unable to escape combat but if disaster does strike, the crew can be evacuated. There’s another difficult decision to be made – abandon an expensive ship to save a talented crew, or hope they can hold out until the tide of battle turns in your favour.

While boarding actions are possible, ships cannot be captured. Sending in the marines is a method of taking down overpowered ships without trading broadside blows – scuttling rather than stealing. Like everything else discussed, Tindalos backed up their decision with reference to the original tabletop game and the fiction of 40k. Whether they’ll succeed in all their ambitions is impossible to say and the game won’t be released this year, but their passion for and knowledge of the license isn’t in any doubt. Thankfully, they’re unwilling to use the license as a crutch to prop up a reskinned RTS.

It’s early days. I’ve only seen a basic prototype of two fleets in battle and mock-ups of the campaign screens, but Armada has enough good ideas and smart mechanics to be a great space strategy game, regardless of the license. Chaotic cathedral ships might well be the icing on a particularly delicious cake.

1. Dominare says:

How about captain’s what with skills?

• Elethio says:

You read it wrong, try it again without the apostrophe.

To paraphrase, he’s saying “how do you like the sound of captains (plural) with skills”.

2. Veldzhes says:

I think all this shiny stuff on the screens is a bit off. I mean, grimperium should look a bit bleaker. The artwork in the end of the article is great example of the mood to capture. For now the art direction reminds me of the famous diablo-III-with-rainbows picture. IMHO, of course.

• P.Funk says:

I agree. Too bright, not bleak enough.

• Chiron says:

Yeah, should be grim dark like the original game.

Wait a second…

link to 1.bp.blogspot.com

• LexW1 says:

Er, that picture is a lot more GOTHIC than the game. “Grim” is in the eye of beholder, but the art for this game is just too clean and neat, lacking the gothic-space-cathedral deal (it’s very common for 40K adaptations to lose this, it’s not the end of the world).

Also you know 40K of that era is LITERALLY where “grimdark” comes from, right? Literally.

• Razumen says:

Have you looked at the top of the ships? They have definite cities on top of them, and the give off a pretty gothic/cathedral-ish vibe to me.

• FlipMooMonkey says:

While it might be in the eye of the beholder they are following very closely the art for BG that’s come before so I’m not really seeing where the flack for it is coming from. To follow up on the previous box cover this was the picture that was used for the White Dwarf edition on its release (I know because I’ve still got it tucked away somewhere in the guilty stack of old WDs) link to 1.bp.blogspot.com

Compare that to the third shot in the article and you can clearly see they’re taking their inspiration from the right places. I love the old grim dark style as much as anyone but that’s going to be hard to cover outside of an ink medium, but maybe if we’re lucky they’ll add a couple of filters to change it to black and white as well as adding Blanchesque splotchings.

• Elethio says:

@FlipMooMonkey

That actually sounds like a good idea, I think it would be pretty amazing if they did make a black& white filter with splotches.

Can you imgine playing that, yes the lack of colours would be less eye melting, but if done right it would be incredibly dramatic.

Wow, I want that now.

3. aunshi says:

Very interested and excited for this…. but how will it match up compared with the much touted The Mandate due out 2016?

• behrooz says:

I would say the comparison depends on how the actual gameplay of The Mandate comes out. The art style and backstory sold me on kickstarting The Mandate, but… kickstarters are a tossup. I’m trying to remain uncommitted.

4. vorador says:

Frothing demand increases.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Agreed, frothing levels elevated, however primary concerns remain:

1) Artistic direction is too happy and shiny and cartoonish. I want a dark, brooding, 18+ rated 40K game that screams ‘You will die horribly and you may even like it.”
      2) Only four races? What about the rest? This means either DLC which I’d rather sell my soul to Slaneesh and have my testicles tickled for eternity than buy, or hopefully a good old fashioned expansion pack which I’m not hopeful about.
      3) 2D? or 3D?, someone else asked because it’s not clear.
      4) RTS is not your value, they need TBS or like in Blood Bowl the option to do either.
      5) Only Imperials in SP… this is a poor decision. All races need a campaign like Soulstorm for DOW.
      6) Maybe no skirmish…? This could be a make-or-break point for me, as I have no friends even on the interwebz.
      7) Only scuttling? No ship capture and pillaging of materials or slaves or whatever. No, just no.
      8) Repairing costs money? WTF NO. The Imperium either repairs, or it doesn’t. Admirals don’t pay to repair. This is a big fail, they should instead have a resource allocation in repair materials and ordinance.
      9) No mention of orbitals, gun platforms, space stations?
      10) The automatic Exterminatus countdown for lost planets… not keen on this, Exterminatus is an extreme option that is seldom used and would not just be spammed across a system.
      11) MODDING god damn it. No mention of modding, probably because they want to DLC everyone. Modding is what makes a good game an excellent one and keeps peoples’ interest.
      12) Voice acting… please please don’t suck with the power of a golfball through a hosepipe. Please.

Frothing level is mild and curious, but will await further information.

• manio22 says:

I agree on all this, give this man a cookie for sum it up. I really don’t mind about #8 though but eh….let devs first make all the others on this list which is much more important (specially #11, which if implemented correctly it can solve all others)

Adam Smith says:

I’ll answer what I can but there are no details on a few of these points simply because development only began three months ago – Tindalos reckon they’ll be working for another 12-18 months.

A: I like the art. Only saw a prototype in motion but it’s far gloomier than the screenshots in motion, mainly because there aren’t explosions happening all the time.

A: Four seems decent provided they’re all done well but, yes, I’d like full expansions rather than poorly integrated DLC.

3) 2D? or 3D?, someone else asked because it’s not clear.

A: 3D graphics but no Z axis during combat, so played on a 2D plane in keeping with the naval influences.

A: I prefer everything to be turn-based but the pace of the combat and the behaviours make this a far cry from most RTS games. One of the first things they said to me was “this isn’t an RTS like Starcraft.”

A: Agreed. But I’d rather have an interesting dynamic campaign for one faction than a basic one that allows players to choose any of the four.

A: I’m being cagey there because they said they hadn’t decided how to implement it and plans weren’t in place so I don’t want to claim the existence of a mode that might not make it. But they seemed to think it would happen and had a few ideas about how it would work.

A: Again, I may have been a little unclear here. There’s definitely no ship capture in the sense of taking over a vessel for your own use – the devs refer to the improbability of this happening within the fiction for various reasons – but pillaging might well be an option.

A: I’ll edit that. Resources are used to repair – I was using the shorthand of referring to resources as a form of currency, which is a bad habit from too many years of using catch-all phrases while wargaming.

9) No mention of orbitals, gun platforms, space stations?

A: No mention but some pictures of concept art for gun platforms.

A: It’s automatic as in controlled by the computer rather than the player, but it doesn’t happen as soon as a planet is taken. I doubt the exact calculations are in place at the moment but I get the impression it will be a rare event, perhaps triggered after a certain amount of time has elapsed or perhaps with other qualities, including random factors.

A: No mention. I think it’s too early to be sure on things like that.

A: I’d rather there wasn’t any at all!

• Apologised says:

The important thing to consider about the 4 starting factions is that those four were what Battlefleet Gothic started with anyway.
          As for the Imperial only campaign, 90% of the fluff in the books for the core set was about Abaddons black crusade and Battlefleet Gothics attempts to stop/survive it. I fully expect to see Blackstone Fortresses blowing up stars, Planet Killers and shakey alliances with filthy dagger-earred Eldar as the campaign progresses.

I wouldn’t be suprised if they decided to give us a campaign as Chaos though. Trying to nab all of the Blackstones and artifacts on Abaddons scavenger hunt list.

As for Orks and Eldar and the rest, I’d say they’d have to be expansion packs, things like 3rd Armageddon, introducing Tyranids with the Hive Fleet Behemoth & Kraken campaigns (include the defence of Iyanden there for the Eldar, and defence of Macragge for Space Marines). Damocles Crusade would give us Rogue Trader and Tau stuff, not sure about Necrons. Maybe just keep them MP only? Or have them be this increasingly occuring random event where a Necron ship will turn up, emasculate the player, remind the grognards why Necron ships were completely stupidly broken on the Tabletop before blipping out?

Whatever. Right now I am enthused with a game where instead of controlling several ships with a mouse, I am an Admiral of a Battlefleet.

• Shadow says:

A few things that come to mind:

1) Too bright means “too happy”? Do explosions, engine plumes and gigantic space guns have to be dark in a grim universe? This just doesn’t make any sense.

2) 4 races is fine. Soulstorm is great and all, but it took four expansions/incarnations of Dawn of War to provide that amount of playable races. Coupled with the discontent with the lack of multiple race campaigns, it makes me wonder why people expect absolutely everything right off the bat.

3) No ship captures might sound odd, but the lack of them is conducive with the lore and isn’t particularly illogical. In tabletop Battlefleet Gothic, boarding raids are only carried out to damage, cripple or destroy the target. It’s highly unlikely any given race would be able to operate another’s ships in any kind of combat capacity: from the Imperium’s perspective, Eldar tech is terribly alien and inescrutable, Ork machinery doesn’t really work unless an Ork is operating it, and Chaos systems would be hopelessly corrupted.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

I appreciate your reply, thanks Adam.

• Werthead says:

I’d be very careful with what you wished for. 40K is at its best when it’s taking the mickey out of itself. A dark, brooding 40K game with no sense of its own silliness (which DoW did nod at through its ork characterisation) would be so full up its own arse it would be quite unbearable.

5. Velko says:

So, sounds very interesting and spiffy and all, but, euh, also contains lots of words that mean nothing to me. I don’t know anything about this whole warhammering business. I wonder if I’d miss the whole point of the game?

• Rich says:

Play Dawn of War.

• 0positivo says:

To be short, yes, you’re missing a lot.

While there’s no denying that Dawn of War was a solid RTS (and, personally, I even enjoyed DoW II more), much of its appeal is in the subject matter. It transplants into a tangible scene what otherwise is conveyed through writing and tabletop roleplay. Same could be said about all the other excellent 40k spinoff games. Space Marine is a solid third person shooter/action, but the real reason it reached the level it did WAS the subject matter

There’s no real way to get easily into the 40k lore, I fear. It’s scattered all over the place, through codex books, novels, manuals no longer for print, games… if you’re willing to, however, I do recommend looking more into it. I find it one of the most interesting and still quite unique sci-fi setting around

• YohnTheViking says:

As a starter I’d suggest either the Dawn of War games (gives you an idea of the “ground rules” at least). Or you can read the Eisenhorn books, which are pretty decent sci-fi pulp with a crime drama bent.

• Runty McTall says:

The Eisenhorn novels, as well as the Ravenor ones that follow them, are indeed most excellent.

• iucounu says:

Is there anyone good other than Dan Abnett? His books are all great (the Gaunt books, as well as the Inquisitor ones) but I haven’t read much further.

• zaygr says:

I highly recommend the Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM books by Sandy Mitchell. Imagine Black Adder in the 41st Millenium.

• FlipMooMonkey says:

Aaron Dembski-Bowden(usually shortened to ADB for obvious reasons) has become one of the best in their stable I’d say. Betrayer and the First Heretic are simply brilliant, but they are buried in the extended (and generally bloody excellent) morass that is the Horus Heresy Series. For something that’s easier to jump into as a whole his Night Lords trilogy is heretically good and it’s just been released in Omnibus form. It shows very well that the traitor legions can be more than just mustache twirling villains or people going BWAHAHAHAHABLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODBWAHAHAHAHA constantly.

Oh almost forget, I too second the Cain novels, they’re hilarious but still packed with juicy 40k lore titbits.

• Arathain says:

I don’t imagine you’d feel like you were missing much. The nice thing about a universe like WH40K is how well understood it is by those who work with it. So everything they do is infused with a coherent atmosphere and aesthetic. This visual and thematic richness will readily communicate itself to any player, whether or not they know who Abbadon actually is and what he’s so tetchy about.

Anyway, Battlefleet Gothic is about enormous starships, pounding the tripe out of each other. All the ships (Eldar notwithstanding) are a weird mix of far future tech and clumsy and crude machines. So we can expect exaggerated naval warfare in space, with lots of torpedoes and grandiose broadsides.

Also, my colleagues are right and you should play Dawn of War. I recommend the second one, especially if traditional RTS is not up your usual alley.

• Darkheart says:

I bought the Master pack of DoW II a few days ago from Humble and play it as we speak and enjoying it immensely. I like it even more than the first one which is more traditional RTS.

DoW II is like a squad-based aRPG/RTS mix where every squad fills a distinct role (like assault, scout, commander, etc). There is also loot with which you can kit out your squads (also has some nice lore blurbs which help setting the mood). And skills, yes, you can learn skills when leveling up.

• LordXaras says:

Article glossary:

Battlefleet: Gothic – Was a Games Workshop tabletop wargame, with a height of popularity around the 90’s and 00’s. It is set in the Warhammer 40k universe, but instead of playing with tiny plastic men you play with slightly bigger miniature spaceships.

Imperium – In 40k, the largest faction is the Imperium of Man, unified in a Great Crusade about 10 000 years ago by the Immortal Emperor. The Imperium is a semi-feudal domain spanning the entire galaxy, stuck in a technological dark age it’s too big to get out of. It’s threatened at all sides by enemies of countless factions, all chipping away at the crumbling behemoth.

Exterminatus – Should one of its worlds fall to the enemy, the Imperium sometimes resorts to the desperate act of Exterminatus. This is a scorched earth tactic, wherein the Imperium’s fleets bombard the lost planet with bombs that incinerate the atmosphere, crack the core, virulently annihilate all life, or just scour the surface with nuclear fire.

The Navy – The Imperial Navy, as well as most other fleets in the setting, are modelled on 17th century naval combat, scaled up a few orders of magnitude. Ships are several kilometers long, crewed by tens of thousands of voidsmen (many of them slaves), and use weapons of such a calibre that spaceships in most other settings could simply fly down the barrel of most 40k ship guns.

Gothic – The article keeps referring to the “Gothic system” but in the original BFG Gothic was a Sector. Sectors are the self-governed feudal domains the Imperium is made up of. Each will have hundreds of systems, each with their own planets and governments. Each sector maintains its own Battlefleet that polices its space and can be mustered for war when necessary. Battlefleets are styled “Battlefleet [Sector Name]” thus “Battlefleet Gothic” is the name of the Battlefleet of the Gothic Sector.

Eldar – Space elves. They are a dying race that ruled the Galaxy before the Emperor united mankind. Fleeing their destroyed homeworlds, the last few survivors of the Eldar race live in massive ‘Craftworld’ vessels – many times larger than any other spacecraft. Their ships are notorious for being extremely fast and agile, and in the original BFG a skilled Eldar player could run circles around most other races and defeat foes with much more firepower.

Orks – Space orcs. Mindless thugs who are almost impossible to defeat. Orks become stronger when they fight others, and they fight each other constantly. They are also fungoid, and when an Ork dies it releases spores that will seed new Orks in the future. Because of this, once Orks land on a world they are almost impossible to get rid of, so the Imperium often has to simply live with having constant Ork infestations throughout their space – unless they are prepared to Exterminatus a world to cleanse it.

Chaos – At the height of the Emperor’s Great Crusade, half of his forces rebelled against him. Corrupted by promises of power from the demonic Gods of Chaos, these rebels – led by the Warmaster and Arch-Traitor Horus Lupercal – almost destroyed the Imperium in its infancy. However, the Imperium prevailed, and despite the Emperor being gravely wounded the traitor forces were driven out and forced to hide in the hellish Eye of Terror. Now the forces of Chaos are forever corrupted by the “boons” of their cruel gods, and the traitors fight alongside freakish mutants and gibbering daemons.

Abaddon the Despoiler – After the Arch-Traitor Horus was struck down by the Emperor, Abaddon became the leader of Horus’ Space Marine legion. After their retreat to the Eye of Terror, Abaddon renamed his force from The Sons of Horus to the Black Legion. Since then, Abaddon has rallied the scattered forces of Chaos thirteen times in attempts to finish the work that Horus failed to complete.

Chaos Mark – each of the four Chaos Gods (Tzeentch, Khorne, Nurgle, and Slaanesh) bestow their twisted blessings onto the mortals who dare carry their symbols. I imagine this would mean cosmetic as well as mechanical differences for ships touched by the various gods.

Marines – the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, are probably the most iconic aspect of the 40k setting. They are the greatest soldiers in the Imperium, but half of the original Space Marine Legions also rebelled during the Horus Heresy and the main force of the Chaos Armies tends to consist of even more dangerous marines than those the Imperium can muster.

6. pekikuubik says:

So… Can you move ships in all three dimensions? Or just on a 2D plane like all recent space strategy games?

7. Rizlar says:

John Blanche you stupendous badass.

8. Sacarathe says:

Warp Drive? Get some lore please!

9. Robert Post's Child says:

A strategy game where units can deliberately disobey orders (beyond just being ‘panicked’) is something I’ve been wanting to see happen for a while now, so that alone is enough to get me interested, although giant cathedrals blowing each other up in space is not a bad premise in itself.

JiminyJickers says:

Single Player, sweet!

11. RedViv says:

I’d fantasise about an Ork campaign allowing me to gamble with risk and reward in getting the biggest and bestest Dakka from all the bloody ‘umies, canned and wot not. Glorious chunks of rok and dakka floating in space.

But let’s not be hasty and see how the released game turns out first.

• zaygr says:

Time to name ships Ardenuff, Mordakka and the flagship Biggadanyoo.

12. Loyal_Viggo says:

WTF by the Beard of Zeus there is absolutely no point in making a BFG Gothic game if you can only play as Imperials in SP, and maybe not even have a skirmish mode for the other races!

Dear games maker types, please make a SP campaign for all races, and then don’t DLC me to death but actually release a full expansion with Tyranids, Necrons, Tau, and Dark Eldar.

Do this and I shall buy three copies.

The end.

• captainparty says:

I’d rather them concentrate on doing one good campaign than 4 mediocre ones, as much as I love Orks, Imperials are an easier sell to non-GW nerds.

13. Fiyenyaa says:

“All” four factions?
    I don’t want to sound like a pedantic lore-nerd, but I will; dude there are way more than 4 factions even in the (sadly) short-lived Battlefleet Gothic wargame. Tyrannids, Necrons, Tau, Dark Eldar, and Space Marine fleets as well as the ones what you mentioned.

14. Wonderboy2402 says:

Wow I was just expecting a homeworld sort of knock off… but sounds like they will be doing a bit more.

15. Aetylus says:

Give me some pausable with your real time and I’m in.

16. Jams O'Donnell says:

I never cared for Gothic’s aesthetic, or the general Space Cathedrals direction GW took the Imperium. Earlier GW space game Space Fleet had way better ship designs .

17. sonofsanta says:

Y’know what, THQ released some great games, and didn’t deserve to go under like they did; but it’s the best thing to happen to the GW licences in ages, I think, because we’re getting stuff beyond just “here’s 40k, here’s WFB”. Battlefleet Gothic! Mordheim! The admittedly-anti-climactic Space Hulk and Warhammer Quest adaptations!

Our odds of finally getting that bloody Necromunda game we’ve all been banging on about in these comments threads since 1863 have never been so high.

EDIT: yes we have been complaining for ten years longer than the site has been going, someone just make it already. Jeez.

18. manio22 says:

Fire the Godsplitter Angelos!

19. malkav11 says:

Almost everything in this article could be really exciting or really awful and it will depend heavily on execution. Dynamic campaigns, for example, can be really replayable, rich experiences full of possibility space, or they can be dry, dull, tissue thin layers over a series of skirmishes that I’d never, ever trade for a scripted narrative campaign. Captains refusing orders could be a hard choice and an exciting dramatic moment in the story of your personal war, or it could happen way too often and lead to unplayable frustration, or happen way too little and make basically zero impact on the experience.

I still would rather have a turn-based game than a real time one, no matter how sedate the pacing, and although I admit there are tradeoffs involved, I really want all the playable races to have singleplayer campaigns. I’m never going to play skirmishes or multiplayer so if they’re not playable in a campaign, they might as well not be in the game for all they do for me.