Extra Win 10 Reveals: Free Offer, DX12, More Xbox Games

Our roving reporter at the big Windows 10 event in Redmond is currently playing with Microsoft’s newly-announced holo-goggles, more on which soon, but she has been able to send back to useful bonus info about Win 10 and games in the meantime – including whether DirectX 12 is exclusive to the new OS, how this ‘upgrade to Win 10 free for a year’ offer works and whether there’ll be keyboard/mouse support for streamed Xbox One games.

So DirectX 12 will, we’re told, only work with Windows 10. That’s a bummer for people who don’t want to upgrade from Win 7 or 8, but sugaring that pill slightly is the newly-revealed free upgrade to Win 10. But it’s only free if you upgrade during the first year following Win 10’s launch. As far as our correspondent has been able to establish, so long as you upgrade within that first year, Win 10 is yours for free forever, rather than that it starts shouting at you to pay a year later. Update: Microsoft have explained the upgrade offer a little more here.

We’ve also been informed that DirectX 12 will require a new graphics card in order to take advantage of everything it’s got to offer, though some existing cards will be able to get some benefit from it. “To get the full benefits of DX12, the answer is yes,” Mike Ybarra, Partner Director of Program Management, Xbox Platform told us. “There will be DX 11.1 cards that take advantage of a lot of the driver and software tech that we’re bringing in Windows 10, but if you want the full benefits of DX12, you’re going to need a DX12 card.“That’s a bit of a stinker – early word had it that current DX11 boards would do just fine. We don’t know the full story there yet though – trying to find out more about that ASAP.

As for the Xbox One game streaming to W10 PCs and tablets, sadly controls cannot be translated to mouse and keyboard, so an Xbox controller will be required. Given an Xbox One is also required, I guess you’re going to have that controller anyway if you’re using this feature.

Finally, despite the telltale presence of Steam icon next to the Xbox one during the MS demo, there is apparently no special Steam integration in Windows 10.

We’ll have more about Win 10 and the hologoggles tomorrow, all being well.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. inf says:

Oh boy, those people that invested in DX11 SLI setups sure are in for a good time. That said, DX12 might just prove to be another useless gimmick for at least a few years.

• TormDK says:

DX 11 has been around for ages, so I’m sure they are getting their moneys worth as we type this.

• inf says:

Sure thing, because a GTX 7xx series SLI owner is sure getting that feature rich experience when not even 2 years into owning it, the API gets dated. And what about people with Titans or big VRAM editions that at least hoped to get multiple years out of their GPU setup. Missing out on features in the API is huge for anyone owning high-end hardware, that in some cases is only just over a year old (GTX 780ti).

Every DX11 card should be fully compatible.

• green frog says:

How is this any different from the way things have always been? What about the people who bought expensive DX10 graphics setups right before DX11 came out? Progress isn’t going to slow down just because the pace of it sometimes gives people buyer’s remorse.

Things are always moving forward, both in hardware and software. If you don’t want your fancy new gaming setup to already be behind the latest and greatest your platform has to offer after a year or so, then go buy a console.

Besides, games aren’t going to drop support for DX11 any time soon. The guy with the dual GTX 780s will be fine for some time yet.

• mao_dze_dun says:

Actually, last year we were promised backwards compatibility for DirectX from both Nvidia and AMD so it people have every right to be outraged. It’s not about progress, it’s about false marketing.

• Grygus says:

It’s not dated though, not yet. If history is any guide, DX11 being outdated is at least a year away. There was absolutely no point in having DX 10/11 hardware when those versions launched. Do you think this one will be different?

Besides, gamers who invest in their hardware to that extent probably don’t expect their rigs to be cutting edge for very long. That’s just the nature of the hobby.

• Deadly Sinner says:

All of AMD’s GCN cards will work with dx12, so most AMD users are covered.

PoulWrist says:

Silly comments. New generations with new features always ended the last generation of hardware’s life. If you’re the guy who buys 2-3x highend GPUs you’re not in that for the long run in most cases. No, you’re the guy who upgrades that way every generation or faster and sells the old stuff constantly. The people who buy stuff and expect it to last for years are the ones buying the midrange stuff.

• SuicideKing says:

What? Why should it be fully forwards compatible? How can it be so? DX12 is fully backwards compatible, it’s always been that way, both in software and in hardware.

Anyway, games won’t require DX12 for at least another 1.5 years (October 2016).

• Kinthalis says:

DX 12 isn’t a “gimmick”. Also, ALL DX11 hardware is fully compatible with DX12 features.

• kavika says:

“Investing” in computer hardware is like investing in shoes. Unless it is some weird collectors item, it will lose half its value very quickly.

SLI setups are always way past the bang-for-buck sweetspot.

• Jason Moyer says:

I feel even worse for those people who invested in SLI Voodoo 2 setups.

• quarpec says:

these people were idiots

• Lenderz says:

According to Nvidia the 7XX & Titan are DX12 cards…

link to twitter.com

2. disconnect says:

link to i.imgur.com

RPS’s roving reporter, yesterday.

Harlander says:

Woo, another Microsoft OS for me to hold off on upgrading to for ages. Maybe I can last out until Windows 11 comes out before changing this time…

Wait, this shouldn’t have been a reply to this. Oh well

3. jrodman says:

So are they going to make it trivially easy to dual-boot, I wonder? I don’t entirely trust Microsoft’s commitment to paletted-mode games.

Lacero says:

I had to read that twice. nice.

• TormDK says:

It already it, if you know what you are doing.

On topic – I’m gutted at them not porting the input controls over to mouse and keyboard for streaming, so I guess my consideration of getting an Xbox One to play Halo on my PC will remain a figment of my imagination because controllers suck :P

• OmNomNom says:

Ditto. And with it my dreams of owning the hell out of console players with my m+k on their ‘cross platform play’

• jrodman says:

Hence the word “easy”.

I know how to do all this stuff, I just don’t really want to invest time into it anymore.

DrollRemark says:

PCs man. “Easy as pie” is so often “Oh yeah sure, it’s easy if you’re comfortable editing your registry, manually reconfiguring your boot record, deleting user profiles, and tweaking key functionality” to the people who are so knowledgeable about systems that they can no longer think like a layman.

After a lot of Hackintosh fuckery a few months ago, I managed to get mine just about dual-booting between OS X and Windows, and that felt like enough. I could streamline it further so the actual main boot loader actually works (rather than one being done through the mobo boot loader), but I know I’ll probably end up losing a day to fixing it, if I do.

• Jade Raven says:

If you really, really want to play Halo with a keyboard and mouse. Try investigating this: link to xim4.com

I’ve never tried it myself, nor do I own a console. Maybe some has and would like to comment on its effectiveness.

• kevmscotland says:

If I had to hazard a guess they’ll make us ‘cash in’ our current OS to make the jump to Windows 10… with no going back.

Purely hypothetical view point on my behalf with no facts or indication this is the case however.

• TormDK says:

No upgrade offer Microsoft has ever done meant trading in one license for another.

This one doesn’t either.

• mezron says:

Actually they did this with the 64 bit version of XP. It didn’t go over well at all due to driver problems, mostly that there were no drivers made for it. Being a spinoff of server 2003 and all.

link to tomshardware.com

• melnificent says:

I upgraded from Vista to 7 which freed my vista licence for another machine and then from 7 to 8 which freed up 7 for another machine. Each licence key is distinct and is not “used” when an upgrade is done. It’s recycled back to be used again as you choose.

• Llewyn says:

Yes and no. Yes, it works, and MS don’t try to enforce that through their activation program. No, it isn’t in accordance with MS’ licensing agreement.

Basically, you can do this in the same way that you could use the same XP license on half a dozen PCs simultaneously. It works, but your additional machines are technically unlicensed. (And yeah, I do something similar anyway – my Vista license is installed on a VM, with the physical PC running the 8 upgrade license.)

• Baines says:

I don’t know if you’d “lose” your Win7 or 8 license through the upgrade, but it sounds like all future upgrades are automatic once you install 10. That will certainly prevent any future consumer rejection as was seen with Windows 8, as consumers simply wouldn’t have the option to skip future versions.

4. gunny1993 says:

My guess is that DX12 will work improve CPU efficiency with most cards (like mantle) with generic extra goodies for the new cards

5. BLACKOUT-MK2 says:

“We’ve also been informed that DirectX 12 will require a new graphics card in order to take advantage of everything it’s got to offer”

Bollocks, and I just got a 970. Oh well, hopefully DX11 will be supported for a while yet.

JiminyJickers says:

Well the Gigabyte 970 and 980’s say DirectX 12 on the box so hopefully mine is fine.

• The First Door says:

They bloody better be, to be honest. Seeing as Nvidia were advertising all Geforce 970/980 cards to be DirectX 12 compatible. I’m sure it won’t just be me who is in a grump about it if they turn out not to be:

link to geforce.co.uk

• Everlast says:

“We’ve also been informed that DirectX 12 will require a new graphics card in order to take advantage of everything it’s got to offer, though some existing cards will be able to get some benefit from it. “

Sounds like the 970/980 will be getting just the tip!

• commentingaccount says:

Actually, the small amount of added stuff in DX12 that isn’t compatible with DX11 boards? The new Nvidia cards support ’em.

• devland says:

It all comes down to the drivers.
            DX12 is an API for Windows 10 which sends commands to the graphics card via dedicated drivers.
            So it’s up to the graphics card manufacturer to provide adequate drivers for the new DX12 API.
            And nvidia said they would provide support for DX12 for all graphics card which currently have support for DX11.
            So basically that goes back to the old gtx 400 series, which is nice. :)

• Eggman says:

Nvidia will support dx12 on all current dx11 cards, these go as far back as the geforce 400 series. Similar for AMD. link to blogs.nvidia.com

• mao_dze_dun says:

At least you got a 970, which says Direcx 12 on the box. I’m an AMD fan so I went the 290x way. Man, Im going to be so pissed as MS if they pull this bull. And at myself for not getting 970 instead I suppose :D

• Clavus says:

Seems RPS’ source got it wrong because even the DX12 team says today’s graphics card will be able to “enjoy all the power of DirectX 12”.

link to blogs.msdn.com

• dangel says:

Crikey I think we should burn MS employees in public for supporting the features of cards for today *and* tomorrow. Still I suppose when we all buy cards in 2016 with new features they didn’t bother to roadmap in DX12 and therefore can’t use them we’d burn them then, right?

TightByte says:

I just read the whole blurb on the Microsoft blog. “Windows 10 will forge a new relationship between us and our customers”, indeed. Except I don’t want a touchscreen or an Xbox or sharing with my friends, and I am not interested in software as a service. I don’t think Microsoft’s contant excitement has managed rub off in a very long time.

• Rizlar says:

Note that they don’t say whether the new relationship will be a good or a bad one.

7. Wytefang says:

They’ve shown nothing terribly interesting and in the case of the idiotic Xbone streaming thing, why would ANYONE want that? Why? If you have a high-end PC, why would you be even remotely interested in having something crappier and underpowered streaming to it? Just bizarre. Looks like Microsoft has gone even farther into being out of touch with the PC. Wow.

• rcguitarist says:

And the other side of that doesn’t make sense either. If you have an xbox one, then why would you want to now play it on your pc (especially since you can’t use mouse and keyboard)? Just play your xbox.

• Martel says:

Maybe they’re assuming somebody with a tablet wants to watch TV but let their kid play some xbone games without monopolizing the TV. At least that’s the only thing I can come up with as it does seem a bit odd.

• Wytefang says:

Good point, Martel. Perhaps that’s it. It’s just so tiring, this lame cycle where MicroSoft pretends to care about PC gaming, only to offer nothing significantly interesting at all. They’re utterly devoid of ideas, it’s bizarre and sad.

• Asurmen says:

Why wouldn’t they? You can multi task far better on PC without using the TV. Sounds like win for everyone.

PoulWrist says:

Why would anyone want Steam inhouse streaming? Yet someone spent enormous resources developing that.

I guess maybe there are usage scenarios that I don’t have. How terrible. It must be a waste of money and time and a detrimental thing for me that I should be more vocal about.

• Wytefang says:

Yes, we should all blindly support anything cranked out by massive corporations as noble and altruistic, right? We should only ever write positive, happy, and supportive things about things we believe are foolish and idiotic… Oh wait…

• Asurmen says:

Or you could engage some logical thinking and realise that you might not use it, others will. Ever think of that? Obviously not given your level of vitriol against a feature that doesn’t harm you at all.

8. Shardz says:

They can take their DX12 and cram it where the dll’s don’t shine. I’m still running a DX10 video card and haven’t missed one single thing yet. I already know the answer to this question; gotta install Win10 to get DX12, but yet nobody will even use DX12 because 60% or so of gamers still use WinXP according to Unity’s site.

• gunny1993 says:

Well really, you would probably be missing out, maybe big time. DX12 is allegedly focused on reducing the “distance” between hardware and software, could mean significant performance increases.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

People, unless you have John Carmack-levels of low-level graphics programming, stop parroting press releases as fact! Enough with this nonsense about “to the metal” crap, does anyone wants to return to the DOS days of each game coming with their own drivers?

• dangel says:

No, but then that’s why mantel sucks by comparison.

OTOH reducing CPU overhead looks real so and there is a tangible benefit.

• Emeraude says:

Actually, the more I think about it, the more, I see advantages to doing so.

• Siimon says:

WebPlayer: 40.4% / Standalone: 39.1%

• OmNomNom says:

60‰ of users in North Korea maybe. Not actual gamers. But I mean if you’re happy playing half-life 1 on your next gen tech then there is no reason to upgrade anything.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Those number are probably including a ton of legacy work and school computers running casual games, or something. According to Steam’s stats, which are the ones that really matter, only about 4% still use XP.

You can rail against progress all you want, but you will be left behind, unless you are not planning on playing new games.

PoulWrist says:

Congratulations. You have a very old PC and if you play new games that aren’t from a small indiehouse they’re Xbox 360 style graphics on a tiny rseolution. I can see how you have no reason to upgrade etc.

• montorsi says:

You mean other than ultra graphics settings, 60 fps in new games and so on? I guess if you hand wave away every benefit to upgrading ones card, one can safely claim that they are missing nothing. Nothing!

9. Blackcompany says:

Dear Microsoft: If your “PC Gaming” initiatives contain the word “XBOX” they have already failed. While some of us – not me – have both platforms, I would wager the majority of us neither have nor want an XBOX. Ergo, all the man hours you spent on the streaming feature will likely achieve one thing: Getting more of your XBOX players gaming in front of their high definition computer monitors.

Given the prevalence of both Steam accounts, and Steam sales, are you really certain that’s what you want to achieve here?

Just sayin’

10. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Forza Motorsports KKTHX.

• Geebs says:

The irony of the situation is that the PC already gets all of the Xbone games anyway – apart from Microsoft’s exclusives, which are already running in windows on generic PC hardware. Microsoft, you are really spoiling us!

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yeah, their PR is rather ghastly, i just hate the underlying message that we’re going to get the leftovers ( Fable might be fine but it’s not a console seller ), which i guess no one at all expected!

I wouldn’t mind more pushes from them in the right direction if it means earlier adoption for DX12, which i hope takes hold FAR faster than DX9 vs DX11, which it should hopefully if enough people snatch the free upgrade.

• Jason Moyer says:

A PC version of Forza would be great because maybe it will a.) kill off all the crappy games trying to copy it and b.) get people to stop demanding that real racing titles like Assetto Corsa or Project CARS cater to their car-museum fetish

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Precisely spot on. AC should remain “pure” but some car-museum upgrade ’em up is sorely missing. Then again, off course we just get the “least marketable” game.

Don’t get me wrong, i’d still totally play another Fable if they don’t seriously mess it up, but it’s not like they’re suddenly being generous. Halo is still something that won’t happen ( not that i care, mind ), same goes with Sunset Overdrive and Tomb Raider’s timed exclusive.

I understand poor old Microsoft needs a reason to sell Xbones, i just hope they keep losing against sony and keep price fixing their door stopper until they finally dump it, settle with selling the remaining stock and port the good stuff on PC.

Yes i’m being overly optimistic, you don’t need to tell me.

PoulWrist says:

Yeah. I don’t have the patience for real driving sims. But I love me some Forza. I would LOVE to have Forza on the PC. It has come to the point where I almost want to buy a Xbox One just to play the newest Forza :| my “good, quality racing game itch” is for some reason not being scratched on PC.

11. rexx.sabotage says:

I hope and pray that Project Spartan is a Master Chief flavored Bonzi Buddy

12. Rush Ton says:

I was puzzeling over the whole Xbox streaming thing. And then I realised its not for us. Its for people who have an Xbox as their main gaming platform to play their games outside the living room using a tablet or low end PC/ laptop. Whether that’s something people want I don’t know but at least it makes some sense.

13. Uhuru N'Uru says:

Wrong you know little about PC’s if you think the user can’t stop any or all updates, without a windows setting to help do it.. Simply block it with your firewall.
    Also just back up your W7 before updating, do this anyway and if you want Install it again to have both at once. They won’t just keep updating forever, Windows 11 will still replace W10 in a couple of years.
    This is desperation Tactics to get us off W7. They just have to make a better Desktop Windows, not a Tablet one.

Stream XBox to PC Why? what’s the point, if I want to play on the PC, I get a game for PC. Console Games I’d Play on Console. There’s no Benefit to playing a Console game on PC.

Steam intergration? Don’t be silly MS isn’t that dumb that it would Let Steam in to the OS at all.
    They’re stupid, but not that stupid.

Not impressed and they couldn’t pay me to move to W8, nothing here to change that for W10 yet, free or not it must be better than W7 first, just that.

• Asurmen says:

They are making a better desktop Windows…

PoulWrist says:

*whuuuush* – the sound of many points going over your head. But it’s fair to be unable to look beyond one’s own nose. All the software we use now a days is hideously bloated and the regular consumer expects this level of bloat now.

• iainl says:

The best I can manage is that I’ve got one of those cheap Argos Windows Tablets (it’s frankly amazing for the money; would recommend). So I can see a use case where my son’s playing a console game and I want to kick him off the TV and onto the Tablet screen so I can watch something.

Well, except for the part where we have a PS3 instead of an Xbone, but that’s the theory, anyway. Obviously, if he’s going on the Big Desktop Of Doom, he’d rather play a PC game, I imagine.

14. OmNomNom says:

I know this may not go down well with some of the casual game loving, family oriented, pitchfork wielding folk that seem to be most RPS commenters but it seemed to me that this was one of the best presentations they’ve done. If they can deliver on even half of these then we’re in luck

• dangel says:

Oh thank God because reading this wall of misery at a free update was rather depressing frankly..

• Wytefang says:

It was more like a wall of reality. There’s nothing terribly intriguing or even innovative and compelling about what they showed people. It wasn’t just a wall of reality being posted here but also a Wall of Yawn.

• mattevansc3 says:

So Microsoft announces;
          An API that potentially doubles battery life for gaming.
          An API that doubles performance over its previous API.
          An API that allows greater access to CPU and GPU which helps overcome CPU capping.
          A single app that –
          – Lists all your games regardless of platform.
          – Allows cross play with XboxOne owners
          – Gives you DVR function as well as the notable “Previous 30sec record” function.
          – Allows you to easily share your recorded gameplay.
          – Has a platform agnostic messaging service.
          – Has a platform agnostic friends list.
          – Has platform agnostic toast notifications and game invites.
          – Allows streaming of the XboxOne to ANY Win10 PC so that you aren’t tied to the one TV and can still play it if someone else wants to use said TV.

Yes, none of that is at all compelling in a FREE upgrade.

• Emeraude says:

Unless I misunderstood something (and in which case corrections and info are welcome), they’re not platform agnostic, still pretty much tied – to several co-owned platforms instead of one, but that’s not platform agnosticism as I understand it.

Edit: apart from the API – and then only after standardization of use in development, and hardware upgrade (again if I understood well) seems to me like it’s mostly xbone+PC combo owners that may have a real interest in the thing for now.

• Frank says:

Yeah, I care about none of that. Better performance is nice, but it probably entails poorer performance (at least in terms of RAM consumption) on my oldish PC and a (hopefully temporary) loss of compatibility with a ton of games and non-game software.

I’ll upgrade to (1) have a native multimonitor taskbar and (2) get a license for 10 so I can wipe my PC and dual boot with Linux (which is somewhere between a pain and impossible with my HP desktop and its installation disc).

• jrodman says:

Where platform agnostic here means Microsoft and Microsoft.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

I though laptop gamers were scum, why do you need battery life in a desktop?
            Platform-agnostic friends list and chat already exists, it’s called XMPP and there’s tons of clients.
            Shadowrun had cross platform play in 2008, PC and X360, flopped because the PC player mopped the floor with the console dudebros.

• dangel says:

This is an old argument and, be around long enough, you can apply it to any Windows version since to end users the OS is an incremental upgrade and easy to write off as having no single shining beacon feature that make’s it ‘worthy’. 8 is a better OS (as a sum of it’s parts) than 7 – and the contentious bits can easily be avoided (doesn’t stop them being total blockers for some though) with a very small amount of effort. 10 is being offered free, contains all the non-contentious rather great improvements over 7 and some more besides whilst not covering your screen in a start menu (which was obviously the end of mankind). So yeah, that’s a total bitch for everybody now isn’t it?

• rcguitarist says:

Completely false. XP was a BIG reason to upgrade, as was 7.

• Llewyn says:

Depends where you were starting from. XP wasn’t a huge reason to upgrade from 2000, but was from 98 (or *shudder* ME). 7 was even less of a reason to upgrade from Vista SP2, but was a massive jump from XP (or if you somehow couldn’t update Vista).

The reason they both seemed like bigger jumps is that uptake on both 2000* and Vista were much lower than for the preceding and succeeding versions.

*Although obviously enterprise 2000 uptake was relatively much higher.

PoulWrist says:

Agree. Lots of great features and powerful tools in Win 10. As well as a bunch of things for casuals and such to improve their daily lives of gaming in family setting. I am of course in the lovely situation of being an “IT professional”, a lovely catch-all title, and as such see a much fuller picture than all these people who are terrified at the very idea of having to change.

• Wytefang says:

IT professional here, too. I see it as fairly unappealing and uninteresting improvements, overall – but I’m referring specifically to the gaming related stuff (and especially the pointless “we can stream from Xbone to PC, yay!” crap.

So now what? Should we have a poll of “IT professionals” to see what they think?

15. BlackAlpha says:

Don’t forget about the awesome video games that will be coming out and will be Windows 10 exclusive because they require DX12, and sadly there’s no way to make them work on DX11. Why? Because… it’s just not possible, because that’s just the way it is… and because of marketing.

• Jac says:

Did you miss the part where they said it was a free update? Honestly never understood the hate for windows 8. The start screen is essentially the start menu and the desktop is quicker and better than Windows 7.

I would sympathise with your sentiment if you had to buy it, but I just don’t get all the negative comments in this situation.

For me I’m interested in the purported performance boosts and completely underwhelmed by the Xbox streaming stuff as I don’t own an Xbox.

• rcguitarist says:

My hate for windows 8 came from using it. Plain and simple. Unless i am shown that i am missing out on a graphics revolution by not having dx12, i’ll stick with windows 7. Everything works perfectly the way i want it to and is lightning fast with my ssd, so i really have no need to upgrade. And seeing how most games that come out still support dx10 we should be fine for quite some time.

PoulWrist says:

So, a free OS that is a better version of 7 has no interest from you? OK…

• Wytefang says:

Yes, because every new version of Windows has always been perfect and a huge upgrade every time, right?

• Asurmen says:

Quit with the strawman arguments Wytefang.

• BlackAlpha says:

Just because it’s free doesn’t mean it will be worth your while. Instead of listening to all of this Microsoft marketing speech, I’d rather wait and see what people say. I’m also not keen on upgrading or changing my OS in the next year or so.

Like the other guy said, unless DX12 will be revolutionary, I probably will skip Windows 10 and see how the next one will be like.

• dangel says:

That’s cool for MS – since you’ll be paying for your upgrade.

• BlackAlpha says:

And so will everyone, by that time. What’s your point?

• Asurmen says:

Because you have no idea what the next version will have or cost.

16. Turkey says:

You’ll all regret not upgrading when you see Lara Croft’s new DX12 hair physics.

bonuswavepilot says:

Have they said anything about how many versions of Win 10 there’ll be? Will the crappy version of 8 which was bundled with my laptop (and was summarily removed in favour of Win 7 / linux dual-boot) get me an equally crappy version of 10?

PoulWrist says:

Linux isn’t an OS :|

Harlander says:

Come again?

• All is Well says:

What people refer to as a “Linux” is commonly a combination of GNU software and the Linux kernel. Certain people believe that referring to the whole OS as “Linux” is wrong because Linux is technically the kernel and thus the name fails to include the no less important GNU bits, and insist you call it GNU/Linux.

Some take this very seriously and get annoyed if you call it “Linux”. Others think this is so pedantic as to be funny and use it as a joke. I don’t know which of these camps Harlander is in.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Linux pedants make me want to shoot myself in the eyes.

Harlander says:

I’m often a pedant, but not about that, it turns out.

• All is Well says:

Sorry Harlander, I obviously meant to say that I don’t know which camp PoulWrist is in – they were doing the correcting, after all. Sorry!

• montorsi says:

Well I, for one, am happy to know there is another group of people I wouldn’t extinguish if they were ablaze.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

What All is Well said.
          It’s like that calories thing, it’s actually kcal, 1000 times more, but kilocalories is a mouthful.

18. mao_dze_dun says:

So my 290x won’t be fully compatible with DirectX12??? This is bull****. Microsoft initially promised to support at least two generations of hardware back.

19. FlopsyTheBloodGod says:

It’s pretty reasonable to be suspicious when a for-profit corporation offers you something for nothing. They expect to make more money in the long term by doing so than by charging in the old model. If that wasn’t the case their shareholders would lynch their board.
    How do they plan to do this? Paid patches? Service subscriptions? Ads? Something clever? No idea. We know next to nothing about Win 10 and they’re hardly going to announce the catch while they’re pitching the deal.
    It may be that Microsoft will offer a deal that both they and their customers will be happy with, but given their recent record I’m waiting and seeing. XBox integration won’t be enough – they already tried that. And Games For Windows Live Mark Two is not something I want to see, thanks.

• Person of Interest says:

My guess is the upgrade numbers for Windows are so dismal and insignificant that Microsoft doesn’t have much to lose by making this upgrade free. They still make money from new PC licenses.

Microsoft desperately wants to gain traction in the tablet and smartphone markets, and I think they can get what they want by moving desktop users onto Windows 10: MS can familiarize people with the handheld Windows UI (more gently than with Windows 8); develop better multi-device integration (see Apple’s iOS 8 OSX Yosemite handoff feature); and lure app developers into making multi-device apps (their app store still sucks).

I wouldn’t worry about MS switching to a F2P model on its desktop OS. Satya Nadella doesn’t care enough to bother trying to monetize this ever-shrinking portion of his company’s revenue. He only cares whether you join MS’s mobile-first and cloud-first world.

• TormDK says:

Two Words;

Universial apps.

(As in, Microsoft takes a cut like Steam does). The sooner they can get to a widespread accepted platform level, the sooner the app store will skyrocket and bring in $$$.

20. Janichsan says:

So Microsoft’s biggest news regarding PC gaming is that PC gamers can play Xbox One games – if they own an Xbox One?

• sneetch says:

I know, I mean my monitor has a HDMI input, if I owned an XBOX One I could just plug it directly into that. Streaming for me would only mean I wouldn’t have to unplug it from the TV and move it to my PC.

21. frightlever says:

Sure, but when is Fable 2 coming to PC?

22. Kempston Wiggler says:

As one of those rare souls who genuinely loved Windows 8/8.1 from the start [button, lol] I am once again excited by this oncoming latest and greatest by Microsoft, so much so I’ve registered for the Insider programme to get in on the technical preview.

What can i say – I love trying out new software! In gaming terms it sounds like they are taking tentative steps towards making it easier for PC owners, so for once I am going to set aside my trademark cynicism and welcome the changes.

• rcguitarist says:

I don’t think your employer Microsoft would appreciate you poking around RPS when you are on the clock. Get back to work!

23. Distec says:

“We feel that DX12 is a more comfortable, immersive experience from your couch.”

24. sneetch says:

“Also, we’re told that more Xbox One games will be coming to PC in addition to the already-announced Fable Legends, but no names or dates on that yet.”

Yep. Sounds like Microsoft continuing their commitment to PC gaming: all hat, no cattle.

25. JToTheDog says:

Hey, anybody remember OpenGL? hehe, yeah me neither…

I’m late to the party but I’m just gonna leave this here:

link to blog.wolfire.com