Cure Me Good: Bullfrog’s Theme Hospital Free On Origin

haha you bloaty-headed fool!

Can we all knock off work early? If we stick together, surely The Man will be powerless to stop us as we march in unison out our offices, taxis, shops, warehouses, workshops, fields, pools, forests, and skies to go play Theme Hospital. Bullfrog’s fine comedy hospital management sim is currently free on Origin, see, but I can’t go pop the balloonoid noggins of people suffering Bloaty Head or mock people in blue suede shoes with King Complex because ugh I have to write a thing for the Internet about how Theme Hospital is a great game and free on Origin right now. Unbelievable.

Theme Hospital is a great game, mind. It’s a Bullfrog management sim about running a hospital and curing patients’ wacky diseases. They might have long flapping tongues, literal iron lungs, delusions of Elvis, or… The Squits. Heaven help you if your waiting room collects a backlog of patients with The Squits. You lay out the hospital, fill rooms with equipment and trinkets, hire staff, and try to keep things running smoothly and profitably. It is tricky, funny, and jolly satisfying.

It is free on Origin right now too, as EA’s latest ‘On the House’ promo freebie to tempt people into using Origin. It runs in DOSBox, so you don’t even need to open Origin once it’s downloaded. Sure, it only usually costs £3.99, but Origin isn’t that demanding and hey, at times in my life, four quid has been my food budget for a week.

You might want to try running it in the open-source replacement engine CorsixTH, which you simply plug the game’s data files into. CorsixTH adds things like support for modern high resolutions, but I do believe it’s not quite complete yet.

I mean, obviously over the course of writing this post I downloaded Theme Hospital and played the first mission again. Take that, The Man! [Psst you’re News Editor here, you little revolutionary – ed.]

1. cloaknite says:

YES, YES, YES! How I love this game!

2. Laurentius says:

If only curing “swollen head” was so simple. Omg who am I kidding ? /eyrolls at RPS.

3. aircool says:

I’ve had this on my hard drive for years. Still has the best ‘plop’ sound of any videogame.

Neurotic says:

Can’t wait ’til the kids get home from school, they’re going to love this. :D

5. Hunchback says:

One of the best theme/tycoon games ever made… Oh how i wish Bullfrog would get back together and re-release all their stuff in HD. I’d be soooo happy!

6. vorador says:

Nope, CorsixTH is not quite complete yet. You can play the game from start to finish, but is lacking some features from the original.

Which is a shame, really, since it’s a bit of a pain to get DOSBox to play nice with Theme Hospital.

• BenFargin says:

Hi there, can you help? My theme hospital doesnt work in dosbox, and i am a pc novice, in dosbox its laggy and doesnt fit the screen. What can i do? Thank you

7. AngusPrune says:

Probably the best game ever made for free? Everyone should go download it right now. Of course I already own the big box retail edition and GoG convenience edition, but you can never own too many copies of Theme Hospital.

8. sinister agent says:

I don’t think it’s possible for a human to not enjoy Theme Hospital. If such a thing ever happens, I for one wouldn’t hesitate to point at the person in question and shriek.

9. Chiron says:

Those fucking rats man, also the bonus level when you killed enough of them was really hard.

Handymen were lazy bastards as well.

10. BenFargin says:

Guys i need help, when i load up theme hospital on my Laptop, using dosbox it lags in full screen which is how it starts up, and if i start task manager it switches to windowed mode but i still dont get the full screen….can anyone help me fix this? Plus i am a pc novice so any help is appreciated. Thanks