Reanimated: State Of Decay Revamped For Rerelease

The heck is Jeff Goldblum doing in the zombie apocalypse?

When our Adam asked “Have You Played… State of Decay?” he noted that the open-world zombie survive ’em up had become a lot better in the year since its release, thanks largely to its ‘Breakdown’ DLC. What we here at RPS have apparently neglected to mention so far is that developers Undead Labs are revamping State of Decay for a prettied-up rerelease with its DLC bundled in as the Year One Survival Edition. Oh! Well, they are. And now they’ve announced a release date. Unfortunately, it won’t come as an upgrade, only sold separately.

Still, if you don’t own the original, this new version like a fine jumping-on point. Developers Undead Labs say in the release date announcement post that it brings:

-The original game and both DLC packs remastered in 1080p. Lighting, textures, the works.
–New animations and overhauled combat mechanics.
–New weapons, new vehicle, new mission type.
–New playable characters (BRING IT ON, SASQUATCH).
–30 minutes of new music from Jesper Kyd.
–The facility goodness from Lifeline is now available game-wide.

They say it’ll land in the USA on April 28th then everywhere else on May 1st, though that’s talking about a console retail release so who knows what’ll happen with downloads? No oceans and all that. It’ll cost $29.99 (£20), though I’m not sure if that’s just the Xbox price or PC too. For folks who already own the original, Undead Labs are working out a discount, which looks like it might be 33% off.

1. muppetts says:

For the PC crowd who supported through Early Access (nothing wrong with consoles but this is what I have), despite slow feedback on features and bugs, who stayed the course after release despite more bugs, who got the DLC and worked through the bugs…again, still giving feedback, still hoping for improvements that should be part of the purchased game anyway…well sorry FU we are going to sell the game again and NOT patch your version, thank you for being a chump

Yes I am a chump for getting into an Early Access but this is after release. I get it you need the money but how about NOT screwing over your loyal customer base who made it possible for you to continue making the game in the 1st place!

Discount, Riiiight…

• Artist says:

Have to agree wholeheartly! Sad decision to sell a patch as new game! =/

• sebmojo says:

Or you could be an adult and wait for it to go on sale? Up to you, i guess.

• trout says:

nothing screams adult more than consumption

• muppetts says:

Yes because paying for a patch is much more adult, oh god your right we should never question it, we should never let a company know that we are unhappy…orrrrr

When you get older you will understand :)

• Vorrin says:

Of course, that’s what adults do guys! When they’re being blatantly screwed, they just wait for a bit, until they can get screwed a tiny touch less, and then they’re grateful for only having been mistreated just a bit, rather than more than a bit, and that makes the necessary monetary investment, money well spent!

• d00mb0x says:

At what point, can you continue to develop the same game and improve upon it and consider it a patch versus a new game?
        Serious question, not trying to be any particular way. I just question this myself sometimes.

At what point does the same old game, become a new game?

I would argue with this they have done many things you would do with a predecessor of many AAA titles:
        –New animations and overhauled combat mechanics.
        –New weapons, new vehicle, new mission type.
        –New playable characters (BRING IT ON, SASQUATCH).
        –30 minutes of new music from Jesper Kyd.
        –The facility goodness from Lifeline is now available game-wide.

Most sequels are no different than what is described above, new skin with new missions (that are essentially the same idea) with a new price tag.

So my question to everyone else:
        *How long do you expect a company to support and update a single cost game (as in purchase once, play forever)?
        *How much, or what, has to change to a game to make it a “new game” worth spending money on over again?

• Bastimoo says:

a) new engine. That’s a lot of work, so it’s basically a new game.
          b) new campaign. I’d consider that an addon rather than a new game.
          c) a TON of new features. We’re talking 10+ weapons 10+ vehicles 10+ characters.

Fixing animations, adding 2 or 3 weapons, a vehicle and 2 characters should not under any circumstances be considered a new game. I’Ve bought the game + 2 DLCs, I would consider paying another 5€ to 10€ just to support them, but selling me a fix and a tiny bit of new content for the price of a new (not AAA) title? Screw you!

• Optimaximal says:

They say on the blog post that they’re still working out how to handle discounts/upgrades for existing owners on Steam.

Why not express your displeasure to them in their comments? They seem to be interacting with people on there.

• jodtee says:

Well…early access.

DuncUK says:

I bought this game on release on 360, putting up with quite a serious amount of bugs and strange behaviour. At release this game had clearly been rushed out in an unpolished state, having apparently been redesigned at a late stage from what was quite a different game. The strange real-time offline passage of time punish you for not playing the game regularly and this odd mechanic persists to today. That said, it was still fun and novel and I then happily picked it up again for PC with both DLCs (in various Steam sales). I wanted to replay with PC controls and I enjoyed playing it through again. Mouse control for shooting changed the game emphasis quite considerably and it was worth it.

However, I think if they expect me to pay for this game a third time for what looks like little more than an HD graphics pack and a few minor gameplay tweaks…? Sorry, but that sounds like a free patch at best, given what I’ve already spent on this game. If they add full mod support then that could eventually transform this game and be something worth paying for, but as it stands I’m simply left feeling aggrieved and somewhat abandoned as a customer.

• Crafter says:

btw, is there any way to turn off this passage of time feature ?
        I liked the general idea of the game, but this specific feature put me off so much that I stopped playing after my first session.

• Memph says:

It shouldn’t pass anymore than a couple in-game days, which is practically nothing out of your supplies stores. You may have a character wander off or whatnot, but that’s nothing that can’t happpen during normal play anyway.

• Hedgeclipper says:

It seems a bit odd honestly, are they really counting on people who already own the game to leap up and buy again for some tweaks and shiny?

• Baines says:

It’s not even a new trend.

Square-Enix did the same thing with Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition.

DrinkBox arguably did similar with Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, just skipping the DLC part to sell separately an expanded and revamped version of the original title for the same price as the original title. Trendy fell into a similar area with Dungeon Defenders Eternity, which while cheaper than buying the original game and all its DLC, actually *cut* things available in the original release. (Dungeon Defenders is a trickier issue because of the online community component.)

• Shuck says:

Since it’s hard to avoid having game prices steadily fall over time (especially with Steam sales), it seems like the strategy is to rebundle the game with the DLC as a “new” release in order to justify bringing the cost up closer to the original retail price. Which seems to be the only way to maintain any sort of decent revenue from the game to maintain development and continue patching. The problem arises if the patches are all for the “new” release.

• Jalan says:

Don’t forget Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Though I imagine you only leave it out because it’s a rare exception where the price offered to owners of the previous iteration wasn’t like a jab to the face with a rusty shiv.

2. megazver says:

Revamped more like rezombed, amirite?

3. rustybroomhandle says:

*points*

It spells “SOD” !

4. Perkelnik says:

Two words: CD Projekt

5. frightlever says:

The Stardrive developer was on Brian Rubin’s Youtube channel and he was tentatively talking about a 40% discount off Stardrive 2 for people who’d bought the original and that’s for a brand new game.

• behrooz says:

To be fair, Stardrive isn’t a particularly good example, as the original wasn’t really finished when he ditched it to start working on Stardrive 2.

I was particularly disgruntled that the central concept of the game (user-designed ships where the designs translate directly to how they behave and how effective they are in combat) ended up only being applied to battles within the player’s FOV at high zoom levels, and replaced with a half-assed implementation where any battle you weren’t watching was resolved by effectively lining up and taking turns firing each ship’s weapons.

Completely breaks the entire point of the game when every brilliant design becomes so much junk while you’re not actively watching the combat resolve… in a game that plays out in real time across hundreds of stars.

6. ninjapirate says:

Jeff Goldblum? I could have sworn it was Jemaine Clement.
    Which makes me wonder: Where’s Bret?

7. malkav11 says:

This sort of thing does cost time and money to create, so I don’t think it’s necessarily unfair to charge -something- for it. A 33% discount is woefully inadequate for someone who already owns the game and all DLC involved, though (which is why I still haven’t purchased Binding of Isaac Rebirth). Unless the new content is more extensive than either of the existing DLCs, I don’t think it’s fair to charge more than the $7 being charged for those, and probably not even that. And it certainly shouldn’t be a time-limited discount the way Binding of Isaac’s was.

• Improper says:

I don’t think it’s unfair either, although it’s not also “take my money” level upgrade. I think this could’ve been a good opportunity to add the co-op or other multiplayer features they had to cut out of the original. I might pick it up regardless. I have faith in SoD 2 and would still like to support the devs along the way.

8. Hensler says:

The original game seemed really unfinished – not just technically, but also when the campaign story just rushed to a random ending, like KOTOR 2. It doesn’t sound like they ever fixed that.

9. mxmissile says:

wow… making people pay for beta testing, now they are making us pay for patches… I don’t see PC gaming being Master for much longer if we continue down this trend…

10. Shizzlick says:

Did they ever fix the awful mouse acceleration the game had when it first came to PC? It was so bad I stopped playing the game after maybe 6 minutes and haven’t checked back since.

11. Kefren says:

My dilemma is that I often buy games in advance of knowing I can play them, partly to support a developer if I like what they are doing. Then I keep finding “new” versions available for sale later, with extra features, and I start to regret my hasty first purchase. This is one of the games I own and haven’t played yet but now has a separate shinier, newer version (along with Sleeping Dogs, Metro 2033, Deus Ex HR and a few others). Maybe the message really is that I should not buy games in the first year of release (since I’m never in any hurry to play a particular game), I should always wait for the revamped version.

• Kong says:

Philantropy?
      I share the same sickness. Consuming uncontrolled, for a higher cause. Helping others, in this case, game devs.

Giving the same money to the next homeless person feels a lot better.