Swordpoint: Turn-based Stealthjumpstabs In Ronin

Wanna... hang out?

The turn-based sneaking, leaping, climbing, stabbing, swinging, and sword-flinging of Ronin caught our eye last August with a free prototype, and my it’s come a long way since then! A new trailer shows slick sequences of its cyberninja scaling buildings, smashing through windows, dodging bullets, and stabbing the heck out of cybermen. Tomasz Waclawek’s game caught the keen eye of publishers Devolver Digital too, as they’ve announced they’re helping bring Ronin to release later this year, fleshed-out and fancied-up. Really, come see how cool this murder looks:

Ronin makes cool look effortless. When stealthed up, your cyberninja moves in real-time, sneaking and leaping around with the option to pause to pull off tricky bits. Once she’s spotted, it switches to simultaneous-turn-based combat. Then you can use the pauses to plot how to, say, smash in through a window, knock a man down, fling your sword at his pal, roll over and recover it, launch up to the ceiling, then drop down to finish the first cyberguy off.

Also you have razor wire to stealthily grab people and hang them from the ceiling; this feature seems important enough to have a whole paragraph dedicated to it. Cool murders.

It obviously draws inspiration from Gunpoint with its 2D sneak-o-jumps, which is much to the delight of Gunpoint creator Tom Francis.

Ronin is due on Windows, Mac, and Linux later this year. Do give the old prototype a go.

1. padger says:

Has Gunpoint created its own genre?

2. FoSmash says:

Looks like Gunpoints graphic style and Mark of the Ninja’s gameplay, made turn based..

• lowprices says:

If I hadn’t already been sold on the game by Tom Francis’ playthrough, then this sentence would have sold it to me.

• 30phil1 says:

Wow this game a LONG way from that Atari-looking, Rico-from-Just-Cause, demo i played a year ago

3. BobMoron says:

I wish it could borrow some of Gunpoint’s hilarious dialogues as well.

• HothMonster says:

I did really love that the dialog choices in that game were either A) Good Guy B) Bad Guy C) This is all just a bunch of silly bullshit anyway.

4. Recurve says:

Seeing as I loved both Gunpoint and Mark of the Ninja, I’ll be keeping a close eye on this. Looks good!

5. Viroso says:

Sometimes I see some stuff that seem like great games but they also borrow, IMO, way too much from another game’s aesthetics and that ends up putting me off completely.

• Monggerel says:

Theft is the father of iteration is the father of thermonuclear bombs ok?

• rabbit says:

I agree. I’ve been keeping an eye on this for a few months anyway as I think it’s a real fun idea, similar to a few that I’ve toyed with myself over a few years, and I also like to see new indie devs springing up like this.
      But I really wish they wouldn’t have gone for an art style *quite* so similar to gunpoint’s. I don’t like that at all.

6. darkath says:

It’s not just inspiration they copied the entire art style, color schemes and gameplay of gunpoint.

I can’t really endorse this. At best it looks like a mod for Gunpoint, hardly a new game.

• Llewyn says:

I figure that if Tom Francis is happy to endorse it then it’s not really up to the rest of us to be concerned about it apparently being a Gunpoint clone.

That said, Francis seems to think the gameplay is significantly different, and it certainly appears that way to me too.

• darkath says:

If it’s a freeware why not but i wouldn’t pay for something that looks like a blatant copy. Whatever Tom Francis think of it ^_^

• HothMonster says:

Personally it looking like a clone is less of an issue than it playing like a clone. So as long as the mechanics and gameplay are different enough I don’t really care if the art design is aped. But to each their own

7. Monggerel says:

Mark of the Ninja is great, Gunpoint is great. This doesn’t look as smooth as either of those, but considering I’m a STALKER zealot I’m pretty sure it could win me over regardless.

8. Nixitur says:

Oh wow, the animations look really cool.
    Seeing as I also loved both Gunpoint and Mark of the Ninja, I’m really looking forward to this game.

9. Serrit says:

I really enjoyed that prototype/demo of this from a few months back – one of the few prototype/jam/freeware things to stick around on my harddrive for a quick blast now and then. Looking forward to a fuller release later in the year!