Monstrum Gameplay Trailer Features Monsters; No Rum

Cargo ships get a raw deal in the world of video games. Think about it: Cryostasis, horrible frozen ship haunted by aggressive spectres. Cold Fear: something something ghost ship zombies. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: stabbed in the eye by a psychopath, everything explodes. Metal Gear Solid 2: first you’re Snake, then you’re Raiden. I could go on.

Monstrum doesn’t look like it’s going to reverse the trend of negative representations of cargo ships in video games, but at least it’s not doing so in style. That much is evident from this newly-released trailer showing off some Early Access gameplay footage.

We last covered Monstrum when it was announced early last year. Dundee-based Team Junkfish have been spending the time since perfecting their cargo ship models and textures, meaning the game will be made available on January 29th (with a full release to follow in the mysterious leap-month of “Q2”).

The Early Access version of the game promises two out of three of the game’s monsters, each of which tracks you in its own unique manner. From the look of the trailer, there’s one that’ll pursue you through air ducts – air ducts also suffering much video game typecasting, although they do at least get some positive representation – and pop out when you least expect it. Another is a big lad who’s a little less subtle, knocking down thick steel doors if he knows you’re on the other side.

I’m curious about the game’s procedurally generated levels. I’ve played a few prototype games that used procedurally generated levels and stalking monsters to produce a survival horror experience, and I can’t say the results constituted memorable level design… but Monstrum is no student prototype and, if the trailer’s environments are to be believed, I’d not have suspected its dank corridors were slapped together on the fly.

In the run-up to Monstrum’s release I’ll be running a JustGiving campaign to collect donations for the victims of negative representations of cargo ships in video games. Please, people: think of the cargo ships.

1. Monggerel says:

As opposed to Remonstrum, where you play as a kid having to deal with an abusive early-20th-century disciplinopathic headteacher.

But SOMEONE on the YUTABS will be HAPPY because Money.

2. racccoon says:

Jesus Christ can’t any game so called dev make a game anymore?
    why all this early access of foreverness waiting on a game that’s never EVER going to be fixed!
    This is robbery,

• LennyLeonardo says:

Whoah, angry grammar.

• jimmyjack says:

I have to agree with you, I’m usually a big sucker for buying them in the first place. But I don’t know this companys story on how big the dev team is or low long the game has been in progress of being made, but It does look like a good game. The early access point is killing the game industry not really killing it for the dev and publisher but more for the consumer. We get half baked products while they cash in at the bank, which is really sad if you think about it. But I understand a small company trying to make it with a good idea and not enough money to get the product out to the masses, there are some companys out there that just take advantage of this “earlyaccess” just to make it rich and they don’t really care what becomes of there game. We need to stop that now, I’m not saying hey lets boycott early access but to actually do the research of the game and the company putting it out and research the developers track record before throwing hard earned money out a window.

3. Wret says:

Ship Simulator provides a wonderfully pleasant view of cargo ships-*stops paying attention and runs headlong into a small seaside town*

What have I done

• Dilapinated says:

I thought that was half the fun of _VEHICLE_ Simulator games?

• Rich says:

It would be if they blew up, or at least crumpled a bit. Instead you just get told how much the damage cost, which is hardly exciting.

4. Gwilym says:

That picture looks like the player’s wrapping a leather whip around their own neck, to the dismay of glowface

5. karnak says:

Anyone,please enlighten me.
    Was Penumbra the first survival-horror FPS?

• bill says:

I’m sure there were some before, but they were probably first person spin offs from resident evil or some such.. and as such probably terrible and probably not on pc and probably with more guns than penumbra.

Some thief levels?

Penumbra is the first one I can think of that didn’t give you a weapon.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Didn’t the first one have weapons?

• Razumen says:

Yeah it did, though the developers learnt from that in their later games, especially Amnesia. Personally I think that weapons can be effective in horror games, as Silent Hill proved, otherwise it devolves into a repetitive cycle of continually running and hiding from invincible baddies all the time.

• Ole Bekkelund says:

I’m pretty sure survival horror games are allowed some degree of weaponry and means of taking down baddies. After all, Resident Evil was the first game to publicly coin the term “survival horror”, thus pretty much defining the genre from the outset. Definitions aside, I do believe Penumbra may very well have been the first of its kind, even though, as mentioned, there were a couple of levels and instances in earlier games like Thief: The Dark Project that had similarly creepy vibes and a focus on evasion rather than confrontation.

I guess one could also argue that the original Alien vs Predator for the Atari Jaguar was one of the earliest first-person survival horror games, although I haven’t had the chance to play it for myself. Anyone qualified to shed some light on that?

6. Muzman says:

What ever happened to Cryostasis anyway? It vanished from all digital distro services the very week I was going to get it and hasn’t been seen since.

• ZIGS says:

Licensing issues I believe. Shame really, that game deserved more attention

• Ole Bekkelund says:

I remember watching trailers for it before it came out, but lost interest because I didn’t have the proper hardware to run it at the time. It looked pretty damn good; guess I’ll have to get me a hardware copy to finally find out if it was.

7. Jorum says:

I played this at EGX on a oculus rift and although more of a tech demo it had good sense of claustrophobia and tension. Although that may be 80% because of the rift.
    And then the monster jumped me and I yelped in a loud and most unmanly manner which was somewhat embarrassing.

8. dethtoll says:

-50 for the Raiden crack. Raiden is a damn good character with a great arc and a real purpouse besides being a brilliant troll on Kojima’s part.

Honestly as far as I’m concerned, all complaints about Raiden come from some form of deep-seated homophobia the complainer may not even realize they have — it’s ultimately a whine about the “pretty boy” replacing everyone’s favourite manly man Solid Snake.

The irony of that — the idea that MANLY is somehow LESS GAY (nevermind that “gay” necessarily indicates a man’s desire to FUCK A BLOKE) — is just hilarious to me.

“But dethtoll, I don’t care if he’s a pretty boy, I just want my Solid Snake back!” Sure, and you’ve had Snake back, and his daddy, for 14 years. So why the fuck is Raiden still an issue?

9. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

But cargo ship in Splinter Cell had the hottest goddamn track by Amon Tobin playing?
    Theory refuted. Boom!