Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Offers HD Cage

When David Cage’s polygonal form walked in front of the camera at the start of the original Fahrenheit demo, it seemed like an unusual, funny thing for a game designer to do. However, it’s a little known fact that David Cage has actually been trapped there, inside his strange adventure game these past ten years. That’s made it difficult to direct actors in his more recent works – explaining a lot – but it’s also given him the time to polish up the game which has become his prison.

Now according to a listing on Amazon.com, Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered is on its way.

Fahrenheit was a tense, gritty murder mystery which wrung tension from mundane actions by, for example, mapping mopping controls to the mouse in as direct and physical a way as possible. That made it interesting from the off even before it descended into supernatural gobbledygook, its strange plot leading you to have sex with a zombie and to fight the internet in physical form.

The Remastered edition is aiming to spit and polish, including new textures that have been “meticulously recreated in HD for mobile and desktop,” the ability to flit between the new and original art on a whim, and proper controller support. Also it combines the game’s original and North American names into a single title. Ooh!

In theory I enjoy games that let me view the old and new art on the fly, but Monkey Island’s re-releases taught me that I’ll spend the whole time thinking, “I wonder what this looks like the other way” and obsessively switching back and forth. This is why I don’t wear sunglasses.

Given that we’re finding out about this via an Amazon page and not a press release, it seems wise to take the details here with a pinch of salt. It would be a strange thing to be totally untrue, but it does seem likely that the listing went live before it had been proofed given the “[check]” after the words “fully orchestrated”. You’ll supposedly be able to check for yourself come its release date on January 29, but be careful; the only way David Cage can escape his self-made hell is if he finds a replacement.

1. zhivik says:

This is a very good opportunity to revisit controls for the PC version, particularly the timed mouse gestures used to pick dialogue choices or do a certain manoeuvre. There was a particular level I’ve always detested, where you had to sneak into a military base as part of one character’s memory. It was clearly a direct port from console versions, and controls were very awkward and often led to restarting the level.

Other than that, I don’t mind a re-release with updated graphics, as long as content and gameplay remain unaffected. I think the HD releases of Age of Kins or Rise of Nations are a good example, and I hope Grim Fandango follows along the same lines.

• Fnord73 says:

Yes. I hope they do a remake, not just a brushup. Tighten the controls, etc. I only played it on PS2, and it crashed just before the final, never played it again. Some of the scenes there are the best ever.

• phlebas says:

For what it’s worth, I played it on a console and the controls were very awkward and often led to restarting the level.

• TheSplund says:

yup, and a good time to get rid of the QTEs which I could only get by using a QTE busting key-pressing program

2. Ole Bekkelund says:

“[…] descended into supernatural gobbledygook […]”

This. I never got all the way through Fahrenheit because the story ended up throwing me off completely, and it still pisses me off somewhat to think of all the potential that was wasted here. And don’t get me started on those stealth sections. Ick.

• Fomorian1988 says:

In a restrospective for Eurogamer a million years ago, John was guessing hat the developers accidentally mixed up scripts for a couple of games, a dog ate several pages and in order to not waste the effort Fahrenheit was made. That’s as valid a theory as possible for what happens after a certain point.

What’s interesting, Cage publishe a mea culpa on Gamasutra admitting a lot of the mistakes that were made during the development: link to gamasutra.com

• Ole Bekkelund says:

Thanks for the link, I’ll definitely be giving this one a read. Seeing as the article’s almost nine years old, predating Heavy Rain by nearly four years, it’ll be interesting to see what experience and reflections Cage brought with him to that project. If any.

• Synesthesia says:

My experience too. I remembered being so hyped, the bathroom scene was very, very good. Then Granny from space happenned, and i wanted crush the cd in my hand. What terrible, terrible, terrible writing.

• Aninhumer says:

The bathroom scene is probably one of my favourite experiences in video gaming ever. (possible experience SPOILERS)
        I hadn’t realised I could clean the floor, so as soon as the police officer starts walking towards the bathroom, I shuffled out past him. I’d reached to the doors of the restaurant just as he looked inside, and then the waitress shouted at me because I hadn’t paid. At that point I completely panicked, and just ran and ran.
        I don’t think I’ve ever felt quite so immersed in a game since.

As much as the story was terrible, I was far more disappointed by the gameplay, which only offered a few more scenes like this before devolving into stupid memory sequences.

DuncUK says:

The plot in this game is half an hour of awesome followed by a five hour shark jumping jamboree. With all the other stupid shit going on in this game it’s easy to forget the late game reveal of a secret network of homeless people that operate as secret guardians of the peace, sort of like the Assassins from A.Creed only much more smelly. Because hey, nobody suspects a hobo and they’re everywhere, right? :-(

• El Mariachi says:

You really think people in the Middle Ages and Renaissance, assassins or not, smelled any better than modern hobos?

• GameCat says:

For everyone interested with this game – do yourself a favor and play first 30-60 minutes, then uninstall it forever.

• Razumen says:

No way, stick to it to the end, like a real man, Your grandchildren will respect you for it.

RaveTurned says:

I remember being amazed by the bathroom scene, getting back to that character’s apartment, examining and interacting with everything in it without really thinking too hard about it (because, y’know, adventure games) . Found some pain killers – which I then took. Found a bottle of alcohol – which I then drank. INSTA-DIED! Because mixing drugs and alcohol is bad, folks.

I reloaded and carried on from there, and the plot gradually devolved into ridiculousness and I lost interest. Looking back, I think I’d have better overall memories of the game if it had just ended that way by design.

• Shakes999 says:

So much “this”, that now there’s a nationwide shortage. The last 3 hours of that game were downright fucking offensive.Ive seen games go off the rails before but never as god awful as this one did. That it was a well written interesting story up til then just made it that much worse. It’s literally making me mad thinking about it.

3. Anthile says:

Most definitely needs a staring eyes tag. His face looks like it has been mirrored. Very creepy.

• Geebs says:

Staring Emotions, more like. Although the lumps on his skull imply a limited emotional range

• altum videtur says:

A “THE ABYSS GAZES ALSO” tag would be more appropriate.

4. Fomorian1988 says:

Well, on the plus side, at least he was trapped in a game with working toilets.

5. hemmer says:

I liked the game way back when – for the most part anyway – but I’m not really sure it merits remastering. On the other hand, maybe they’ll clean it up a bit, might be interesting.

6. Radiant says:

Let me re-write this article:
    “Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?”

• lowprices says:

Because of how many more emotions the game will have in HD.

• Emeraude says:

Because now every publisher with a game that actually deserves a good updated re-release will have to feel shame knowing *this* had one,.

7. Zanchito says:

I really liked Fahrenheit. I also seem to remember the american and european versions being different to the point of the american one having a broken story, can’t offer a source. Also have to thank the game for letting me know about the marvellous, marvellous song “Sandpaper kisses” by Martina Topley Bird.

• rabbit says:

+1 on sandpaper kisses – brilliant song and perfect for the scene.

• Fomorian1988 says:

If I recall correctly, the only changes in the US version were the title change (because for some reason Americans would’ve mistook it for a game based on Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 99 or some other sillines) and cutting the nudity/sex scenes.

• phlebas says:

Cut the sex scenes? But they’re like the worst sex scenes ever!

• Kefren says:

I also bought that song after playing the game, then discovered she was the singer I’d liked on my Tricky album.

8. Kefren says:

I never understood the complaints about where the plot went. I found it became more and more interesting and kept wrong-footing me (in a good way). It’s like the first Matrix film, which begins as some kind of drama/thriller then becomes sci-fi action. It worked for me, but seems to have become one of those things people have to criticise out of habit, rather than being genuinely justified. Though if the plot didn’t work for you, that’s fine too. I just wanted to say that not everyone disliked it.

• Synesthesia says:

Really? Space robot granny looked to you like good writing?

• rcguitarist says:

What were you smoking when you played it??? The old lady was a human who was a medium…nothing more. SPOILER ALERT…

What you saw of her at the end was not her, it was the enemy trying to trick you by masking itself as her. I’m surprised you couldn’t figure that out.

Harlander says:

The more fantastic bits turned up a bit abruptly, as I recall.

It starts off building up slowly, introducing one crazy paranormal thing at a time, but at a certain point it seems like they realised they weren’t going to have enough time to slowly add elements and a bunch of stuff turned up out of the blue.

• Xocrates says:

Yeah, compare with Cage’s previous effort with Omikron: The Nomad Soul that took some time to build up its increasingly convoluted plot, with this where the protagonist suddenly starts running up walls for reasons, and the pacing problems become very apparent.

Not that the story didn’t become complete gibberish, mind, even by gaming standards, but the pacing didn’t help.

• SMGreer says:

The main problem is Fahrenheit is such a complete inconsistent mess in plot, gameplay, design, theme etc. that anybody could criticise it for any reason whatsoever and have a good chance of being completely justified.

What starts out as a seemingly interesting thriller with supernatural overtones descends into what any compilation of the later sections on youtube will generously describe as hilarious. A lot of wasted potential.

• Fenix says:

[…seems to have become one of those things people have to criticise out of habit, rather than being genuinely justified.]

What would the point of that be? It makes perfectly sense for you to like the game, but that doesn’t give you the right to call out people that don’t. And even though you like the game, you have to admit that Fahrenheit descended into absolute nonsense in all aspects after a certain point.

• Shakes999 says:

Yep.Look, I like a good chunk of video game writing in general no matter how crappy the majority of people may find it, but as stated above, the last 3 hours of that game were a f-ing mess. That it started off so well just makes it worse.

• Kefren says:

Just to reiterate – the game (and it’s story) was fun enough for me to complete it twice. I didn’t have a problem with it going OTT. It made it much more memorable to me.

I don’t care in the slightest if anyone didn’t like it. I only objected to the fact that whenever it is mentioned it seems to be accompanied by two standard criticisms (the plot being the main one), as if it is objectively bad to have a story that keeps surprising you. Yes, it was mad and OTT and crazy. That was what I enjoyed about it. Other people didn’t, but those aspects don’t make it a bad game.

• April March says:

A story that keeps surprising you isn’t bad, but isn’t necessarialy good, either. Otherwise the best stories in the world would be those Animaniacs cartoons in which people keep zipping off their skin to reveal they were a completely different character all along. A good surprise makes you think “ooo, I should’ve seen that coming, but I didn’t!” not just raise an eyebrow in disbelief. Plus, as others mentioned before, the main problem is tone whiplash.

Earl-Grey says:

I remember playing this on my X-Box.
    The demo was, for me, absolutely amazing.
    Do you clean up the murder, pay for your meal and calmly exit the diner like a total psycopath or run away in panic?
    That little demo promised an interactive crime drama of impossible opportunities.
    Sadly, in my opinion, delivering on the promise of the demo truly proved to be impossible.

It started with a momentous bang, slowly lost momentum and ended up in a hedge somewhere around Batshit Crazyville.

Shame.
    And goodness do I hate mr. Cage’s recent output.
    His obsession with the paranormal really doesn’t work for me and his characters even less.

• twaitsfan says:

This, this and more this. Stop reading my mind! What are you, an alien? An Ai? An immortal cult of mayan gods?

The demo promised genius. The game delivered schlock.

Earl-Grey says:

Don’t be ridiculous. I couldn’t possibly be reading your mind.
        Unless.
        Are you eating a biscuit?

10. dethtoll says:

David Cage being trapped inside this game explains a lot about his recent output. It also explains a lot about the stupid shit that comes out of his mouth.

It was an okay game, though.

Don Reba says:

I’d like to buy just the first third of the remastered version.

12. Scrape Wander says:

The first few hours of this game made a profound promise and began to deliver on it.

…and then the rest of the game happened.

13. XhomeB says:

Fahrenheit always was, and always will be, a piece of… with pathetic gameplay parts and omnipresent button mashing.
    Honestly, the ONLY good thing about this game were the very first 20 minutes. Great opening, interesting premise, a very natural “puzzle” revolving around covering your tracks, the illusion your choices and mistakes will matter, the promise of a great detective adventure with a solid plot.

NOPE. Every single aspect of this game takes a nosedive after that, and it only gets worse later on.

14. Morlock says:

“Also it combines the game’s original and North American names into a single title. Ooh!”

“Fahrenheit: Indigo” + “Prophecy Remastered”

15. newguy2012 says:

Some of the worst controls I have ever seen in a game.

Tried to play the guitar for a characters ex, ended up with him hanging himself.

I gave up at the fence in the military base…

• Morlock says:

Oh God that fence. I still finished the game, though I don’t remember much from its second half.

16. drinniol says:

Hold up, hold up, hold up.

Clearly the game was about a guy who has fried his brain on a mix of crack and PCP, and after murdering an innocenet man he goes on to have hallucinations that get worse and worse as he spirals down the schitzophrenic descent into madness caused by substance abuse until he finally has a story that his drug-addled brain consideres coherent and absolves him of guilt.

• drinniol says:

This also explains the controls, too. I am a genius.

• Fomorian1988 says:

You have done the impossible – made Fahrenheit’s plot sensible.

• Ole Bekkelund says:

…and then he made Heavy Rain. Wait, you _were_ talking about David Cage, right?

17. CrowPath says:

The misguided hubris of that tutorial is something I’ll never forget. He boasts about revolutionising the controls of gaming to drive immersive storytelling… but it’s actually just Dragon’s Lair and Simon.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s a question every game designer should be constantly asking themselves. “Am I just remaking Dragon’s Lair?”

• BooleanBob says:

I know we’re not big on the P-word here at RPS, but that tutorial is all the evidence I’ll ever need to know it’s possible to create – well, not so much a pretentious videogame, but to be pretentious about having created one, and wholly deserve to be called out for it.

• April March says:

I remember how he calmly explained how to press the face buttons, and then the next bit had me mash the shoulder buttons, which is difficult and awkward to a seasoned gamer like me. I imagine it’d be more confusing to a non-gamer than asking them to press R3.

18. donkeyspaceman says:

Everything after the point where [SPOILERS] the main character dies trying to save his girlfriend from the rollercoaster destroyed any sliver of hope I had for enjoying the game. Oddly enough, ever person I’ve talked to who’s played it before seems to have stopped at that point, so they always think I’m crazy for disliking the game.

I think most of it was pretty indefensible, but the part that really took the cake was [AGAIN, SPOILERS] the part where the cop, who’s been chasing the main character THE ENTIRE GAME because he’s a MURDERER suddenly decides to partake in an uncomfortable sex scene with him despite the fact that he’s also DEAD.

19. Laurentius says:

I tried the demo back in the day and it’s almost looks promising, I mean I enjoyed the atmosphere but idea that to mop the floor I have wiggle the mouse, is so incredibly stupid, it’s not inovative it’s stupid.

20. Emeraude says:

I’ve been following Quantic Dream since Omikron, and their games have been less and less interesting in my opinion.

Still, my complaints from the first game remained valid: cage need to hire some decent writers/scriptwriters, and a good editor that actually knows how to properly intertwine narrative and game mechanics before anything his studio produces will be anything more than “interesting for experimental reasons”.

I mean, if you’re into game design, I would still advise playing those games, as some of the things they attempt are totally worth checking (if anything their failures teach at least as much as they had succeeded)., but that’s about it.

For example SPOILER that moment when you’re hallucinating during the cop interview was interesting, pitting narrative against gameplay – if you succeed at dealing with the hallucination, your behavior alarms the corps, so the right way of “winning” is to lose the game so to speak, and just not act on it all; too bad the presentation of that moment was a mess that prevented it from working well.

21. Bull0 says:

That first paragraph is the first legitimately funny thing I’ve read on this site in AGES

22. Morcane says:

Next up: Zombie Survival Game XYZ – Remastered Edition

23. Camerooni says:

I imagine that: link to achillingfeeling.com is how we were meant to find out about it.. Silly Amazon.. such ‘spoilers’ :D

• Camerooni says:

Hahah.. and the site is blank now.. because the countdown goes on your local time and the publishers forget that there are parts of the world that are ahead of them by the clock.

24. April March says:

You know what is the weirdest thing about Indigo Farenheit Prophecy? The real, actual, weirdest thing? The main character and his girlfriend recently broke off, but there is no mention of why they broke off, no bad blood or resentment between them, and the game lays out the path for the two to easily get together again. There is one kind of story where this setup is used very very often, and it’s children’s movies about how they get their divorced parents back together again. This is the only time I’ve seen this setup outside of that.

25. Jackablade says:

There’s rumoured to be an enormous amount of story cut from Fahrenheit which goes some way to explaining the weird pacing if not, perhaps, some of the more batshit twists and turns of the plot. Will be interesting to see whether this remaster reinstates everything that was allegedly removed and then whether it makes the game any more coherent.

One suspects probably not, but it’s a crazy ride that I wouldn’t mind taking again.

26. luis.s says:

I can very much relate to the sunglasses thing (assuming it wasn’t flippant). People have always looked at me funny when I’ve tried to explain it to them. Eventually I gave in and started wearing them anyway due to outside being so damn bright sometimes, but I still have to take them off and check what everything looks like without them occasionally, especially for nice views etc.

As for the game, I thought it was interesting enough that’d I buy a slightly fancier version in a sale.

• Jackablade says:

Did you get one of those pairs of sunglasses that reveal subliminal messages in advertising and aliens disguised as people?

27. tomimt says:

They really can’t remaster the biggest issue of the game, which is that it’s not a particulary good game. Sure, they can shine it up and modify the controls, but the game will never be as good as the bathroom scene in the beginning would make you hope.