First Official New Flight Simulator X Add-On Announced

You can keep yer HoloLenses; the best thing Microsoft have done for PC gaming recently is let simulation developer Dovetail Games take over maintenance and further development on Flight Simulator X. The game has been well served by its community and third-party developers, but Dovetail taking an official role has let the game be sold through Steam and prompted the creation of official add-ons, the first of which has now been announced. It’s called “Dangerous Approaches”, and it’s not about sneaking up on Adam while he’s sleeping.

That guy can hear a pin drop. Here’s what you actually do in it:

Can you land a Boeing 747 in a major thunderstorm over Hong Kong? Do you have the skills to collect intrepid mountaineers from the Everest base camp? Can you fly through the majestic Sierra Nevada range or transport medical supplies through a snowstorm in the icy wastes of Greenland? Can you navigate your way across the blustery Orkney Islands as rain lashes your cockpit? If that is too cold for you then turn up the heat and fly the notorious Caribbean beach approach in to St Maarten.

Golly, what an awful lot of questions to which my answer is, “No, I suck.” But still, this is great, given that this is almost the exact way I play Flight Sim X rival X-Plane. That game lets you set percentage chances or time frames for certain parts of your plane to fail within. I like to fly over Switzerland, knowing that at any moment bird strike is going to happen, and then seeing if I can glide to the nearest runway and land safely without my engine. The answer to which is almost always: “No, I suck.”

The Flight Sim X add-on has been developed by Jane Whittaker and offers twenty challenges in all, which can be tackled in whatever plane you please and which comes with a “pilot’s guide” offering hints and tips for people like me (who sucks). Here’s some more screenshots – click to embiggen:

1. P.Funk says:

This is the most obvious thing that they could have done.

• drinniol says:

Well, the most obvious thing would be new aircraft, wouldn’t it?

• LionsPhil says:

That…makes sense to do it first then?

How many times have gamers said “AAAAA JUST DO OBVIOUS THING X FOR DLC/A SEQUEL ALREADY”?

• P.Funk says:

But there are already really hard approaches. They’re called real airports with real approach plates with bad weather… its like free… in a game called FSX….

I mean read the advert. One is literally just St Maarten. You can fly that by downloading a chart, loading the airport, slewing to over top of it, and having at it.

Just save your money and buy a proper weather engine. That’ll make dangerous approaches actually fucking scary.

2. anandus says:

Wasn’t “Around The World In 80 Flights” the first add-on?

• Wandering Taoist says:

Not really, it is quite an old addon, from 2012 or so, just repurposed for FSX Steam edition. This one looks like an exclusive for Dovetail.

3. DThor says:

I snagged FSX steam when it was first released for some ridiculously low price, it was literally a “why not for that price” purchase, and I’ve slowly been reintroducing myself to that world after being away forever. It’s been rather amazing the stubborness of the community to not die and the incredible work by developers that prove what is possible when you have a locked platform to develop for. There’s been an understandable hesitation by the community to embrace the steam version, ranging from a waiting it out cautious optimism to outright hostility, but most agree that SE is the future of the sim. I think this is a great first new addon(assuming it’s well done, mind you), since it allows you some adventures out of the box rather than trying to tackle the virtually limitless aircraft and scenery addons out there.

4. SuicideKing says:

DCS World is F2P, just saying.

• Martel says:

Purchased game > F2P

• boo01 says:

That’s quite a generalization.

• SuicideKing says:

It’s actually essentially FREE but with purchasable DLC (=> aircraft).

So no, not really.

• Axess Denyd says:

I just started playing DCS World fairly recently, and I am enjoying the heck out of it. I *really* can’t wait until the consumer Rift is released…

• SuicideKing says:

Yup, same here. I’ll probably save some money and get a TrackIR unit.

5. Stuart Walton says:

“If that is too cold for you then turn up the heat and fly the notorious Caribbean beach approach in to St Maarten.”

You mean the same St Maarten that has a runway that’s adequate for large jets, with runway lights and nav aids for non-precision instrument approaches? Not very dangerous.

Now Paro, Bhutan… that’s a dangerous and impressive landing.

6. MrFinnishDude says:

Man, I would really love to one day see a flight simulator in which there would be graphics like in “The vanishing of Ethan Carter”.

Seeing gorgeous scenery from above is mostly the only thing flight simulators could offer for me, you know. The wonder of flight like in Studio Ghibli films. Golden fields and lush forests stretching as far as the eye can see! Seeing the sunset above a sea of clouds!

I really hope something like that exists. Most flight sims I know just have bare terrain covered in google maps satellite images with flat buildings and stuff.