WoW Patch 6.1: Selfies, Blood Elves And Twitter

Blood elf character model

World of Warcraft’s 6.1 patch adds a selfie camera to the MMO. Well. It adds a “S.E.L.F.I.E. Camera” which amounts to the same thing.

6.1 is live on the public test realm (PTR) at the moment and does a bunch of other things too. For example, the new character models for Blood Elves are part of 6.1, as is Twitter integration so you can share content from Azeroth to your Twitter followers.

You can read through the exhaustive list of changes on the WoW blog and I’m sure there will be notes which are far more exciting to regular players of the game than a camera. As an outsider, though – and one who takes screenshots then spends time running them through photo filter apps and reframing or layering options – it’s the item which stood out to me.

As per WoWhead, the camera is a reward for the new Field Photography mission. Of interest is that it’s not just a third person floating camera which takes a picture of your character – the character actually stretches their arm out towards the screen as if using a smartphone or digital camera. Blizzard are recreating the specific act of taking one of those pictures – arm and all – even though in a lot of selfies I’ve watched tourists take around central London the photographer will try and manipulate their body to better hide that arm.

Here’s a video from German site, MMO Zone:

The pictures can then be bolstered with a bunch of moody filters earned through another mission. There’s a sketch filter, a black and white filter and a death filter.

Sketch and black and white filters I’m familiar with but what’s this death filter business? I mean, there are Instagram filters which have the unfortunate side effect of making me look a bit corpse-coloured but I’m wondering if there’s something more to it? Blizzard control and can read the reality you’re taking the picture of in a way that photo apps can’t. Presumably that would mean being able to add all manner of interesting effects as photo options – maybe the “developed” picture could have terrifying ghost children just standing in the background and staring at you.

Oh. Further investigation reveals it just applies an aura effect to the screen. I guess it’s the washed-out effect you get when your character carks it and you hop off to the Netherworld. That’s a shame because my unexpected horror freakout filter would have been far more entertaining.

If you’re on the PTR and have the selfie S.E.L.F.I.E. Camera maybe share some of your pictures in the comments – I’m curious to see how it looks.

1. bleeters says:

What fresh hell is this

2. SlimShanks says:

I scorn World of Warcraft!
    Feel heavily affected by my opinion!

3. satan says:

I blame this preposterous pandering on the previous Pandaren pandering.

4. Thurgret says:

It still looks as if somebody has squashed an assortment of crayons together, and not in a good way. Are Blizzard’s audience for the game primarily running rather low-end machines?

• Asurmen says:

It does? Looks fine to me.

• Awesomeclaw says:

I’ve always found WoW to be reasonably enjoyable and mechanically very solid but it’s certainly one of the worst looking and least modern MMORPGs.

• Asurmen says:

Each to their own I guess. It just looks like Warcraft to me and despite upgrades it is 10 years old.

5. Borodin says:

World of Warcraft has always lacked a way of taking a screenshot without the camera being restricted to orbiting around your character’s head. It is necessary to have two accounts logged in to achieve that freedom, and I hoped that this was going to be a simple way around it. But no.

In addition, I particularly dislike the way you can see inside the character’s extended right arm in the selfie shot. This is just a humourous quest reward, and not a way of taking nice pictures. But of course the same can be said of real-life selfies!

6. All is Well says:

My German is limited to what I’ve been able to pick up from Silent Hunter (Rohr eins los, Herr Kaleun!) but boy, isn’t his diction something?

7. Nibblet says:

Well, they allready covered facebook games with the new strongholds, so this makes perfect sense.
    Next up will be an ingame way of watching other players play. You read it here first folks.

Qazinsky says:

Well, it depends on how loose your definitions are, but WoW already have the Brawlers Guild, where one person at the time faces a scenario and everyone else have to stay in queue and await their turn around the battle area…

8. Faxanadu says:

No, seriously now. Can anyone scorn my opinion anymore, having quit WoW because it was becoming too casual. Because damn. That’s some heavy casual right there. And the casualty is anyone wanting to feel immersed in World of WarCraft.

• jrodman says:

IMO, the immersion wasn’t really ever any good, what with all the real-world dumb reference jokes in the questlines. I admit the frequency of the game taking itself unseriously has certainly risen, though.

• Faxanadu says:

*looks around stormwind, gigantic floating ogres people flying on pink rockets 25 different types of dragons corgis battlepets disco balls rubber swords streets blocked with player generated massive food items*

Yeah that’d be an understatement. Atleast I could pretend not seeing that one illusion breaker before…

• GHudston says:

While I appreciate that WoW is a lot more casual friendly than it used to be (though I strongly disagree that “casual” gameplay is inherently a bad thing), care to explain how this particular thing is even relevant to that discussion? It’s just a mildly amusing way to take screenshots…

• Faxanadu says:

Because it’s yet another silly thing from the realm of mainstream slash casual that you can see ingame.

Casual isn’t inherently bad. Just the way they’re pulling it off in WoW is.

9. Jackablade says:

Can we get those Blood Elves some suncreen?