Have You Played… Lucius?

The Omen: The Game. Antichrist simulator. Hitman: Blood Magic. From the outside, Lucius [official site] looks like a sandbox of Satanic slaughter, in which you play the spawn of the devil in the form of a young boy who has a permanent sulkface. Tasked with killing the staff and residents of a large, bland mansion, the game allows you to indulge in patricide, matricide and priesticide, which is, I suppose, another form of patricide. However, as is the case with the titular character, the game isn’t what it seems to be*.

Lucius must ensure that every murder he commits looks like an accident. Rather than leading to improvised horror and farce, this means there are specific items to be used in specific places at specific times.

It’s a point and click game, essentially. The third-person interactions are functional at best and it’s entirely possible to fail a mission murder because an essential item glitches through a wall while you’re trying to position it with your shonky telekinesis. I’d accept an argument that Lucius borrows the worst elements of several genres, given that running around the mansion tends to be tedious, the powers are rubbish and difficult to aim precisely, and the puzzles require a perfect understanding of the apparently illogical processes that went into constructing them.

At one point, having been forced to use the non-existent stealth system to avoid patrolling adults at night, I made my way across the entire building only to be told I needed an item in a completely different wing. So I had to backtrack, once again using the non-existent stealth system to avoid the punishment of restarting the entire mission. The object I needed was a tube of superglue and there was absolutely no way of knowing that I’d need it or that it even existed until the game told me to fetch it.

Despite ditching the usual point and click interface, Lucius even manages to pack a few pixel hunts into its brief running time. To murder one poor sod, Lucius needs to replace a fuse because in this kind of game, fuses always need to be replaced. There are boxes, in a storage room behind a garage, and if I zoomed in close enough I could make out the letters hidden in the low res texture. ‘FUSES’. I tried to pick one up but nothing happened. I tried to move the box using telekinesis and nothing happened. I tried to knock the box off the shelf and nothing happened.

Eventually, I managed to pick up a fuse by clicking on the box while standing to the North East of the box and planting my cursor somewhere in the middle distance, much like the faux-casual gaze of a catalogue model.

All of this might lead you to believe that I hate Lucius but I enjoyed (almost) every infuriating minute. At times it’s badly designed, at other times it breaks if there’s even a slight deviation from what’s expected – but the familiar cinematic themes are perfect fodder for a game. When I finished – having endured the horrendously and hilariously misplaced boss battle(s) of a final level – I wondered why more people haven’t decided to make games that feel like seventies horror films. Where is my Don’t Look Now Venetian walking simulator?

If you haven’t played Lucius and decide to, I recommend you do so (as I did) with at least one spectator to offer advice, condolences and mockery. I’m not quite recommending a Mystery Science Playthrough, but think of Lucius as a drive-in sort of game – it’s all over the place technically but packs a few, good cheap thrills. And the occasional shoddiness can be part of the charm if you’re able to tolerate it. For example, during each mission when you first encounter your next victim, a red filter splashes across the camera and it goes all shaky and spooky as it zooms in on their oblivious face. I ran into a maid I was about to bump off as she was coming into a room, and the game did its dramatic devil cam as it focused, closer and closer, on a wibbly-wobbly door, failing to catch even a glimpse of the woman behind it.

KILL THE DOOR, LUCIUS, KILL THE FUCKING DOOR.

Happy times. And things might be looking up for the little blighter – the sequel is out in a couple of weeks and looks like it might actually fulfil some of the sandbox-y promise of the original. I can’t wait.

*Actually, let’s face it, Lucius looks every inch the insufferably smug, spoiled murdering git that he is.

1. Lyrion says:

I liked Lucius alot, until the mission with the patrolling adults. I tried it a couple of times failed and then just gave up. But other then that playing as a demon child is quite fun.

• brulleks says:

Think yourself lucky you never made it to the final ‘boss battle’ against the vicar.

A finer reason to ragequit hath ne’er been suff’red by man nor beast.

• twaitsfan says:

Damn goodie two-shoes foiling our attempts at evil apocalypse!

• brulleks says:

I wasn’t bothered that it was against a vicar. It was the appalling controls and easily triggered restarts that dampened the whole apocalypse thing.

• Jalan says:

The entirety of the coming apocalypse will be played out as nothing more than a series of exasperatingly comedic restarts. It was just prepping you for what’s to come.

2. racccoon says:

No i haven’t sorry

3. kalirion says:

I own the game from a bundle, but somehow don’t have any inclination to play a “murder the innocent” simulator. Unless it turns out that every single one of the staff & guests is a murderer or rapist or something.

4. geldonyetich says:

An interesting gameplay concept, I went and skimmed a video on it. Looks like an alternate take to the Hitman series.

The premise is disturbing, but then, it’s supposed to be disturbing. I’m nonetheless somewhat repelled from the game for an odd reason: I’m just not religious enough to be this sacrilegious. This whole idea that the ruler of Hell needs or wants Lucius to kill people on Earth doesn’t wash well, logically speaking, unless you happen to spend a lot of time listening to heavily-extrapolating evangelists who felt the devil just wasn’t scary enough anymore. Story defeated, all this rendered cinematic work to breath plausibility into it feels like a really-awkward-to-watch puppet show.

5. ShadowNate says:

I usually do like or am positive towards this kind of games (with Rockstar’s Bully being something similar which I enjoyed far more ). Lucius is a game that I wanted to like based on the conept, but I watched some gameplay of it and it looked boring, like something that I would completely hate.
    So, not for me.

6. cbaxter006 says:

Actually played this till the end, took me 6 hours but at 62p from bundle stars it was money well spent. Its not a polished game by far with rather fiddly controls, its also not very clear on what you have to do next.
    Had to use a guide half the time, it definetly has a certain charm about it and I’m looking forward to the sequel.

7. lordfrikk says:

I never finished the game and even though I liked a lot of their ideas its lack of serious polish detracted from the experience greatly, it would benefit from less tedium, especially less pointless back-and-forth walking which killed it for me after about 4 hours. The deaths and how Lucius goes about them has this really campy, B-movie feel to it which I think fits perfectly. After all, you play a satanic kid with literal Devil giving you tasks to kill people for no reason than a good ol’ being evil. Hopefully the devs can improve upon their missteps and make a better game next time.

8. 7nin says:

the game is nice, and it’s full of bugs you can also climb stairs with tricycle

9. MakeSkyrimGreen says:

“I wondered why more people haven’t decided to make games that feel like seventies horror films.”
    Yes, I’d like to see more of these a simple example would be a Dawn of the Dead-style Zombie game set in a mall with flares and seventies consumer items.