Kerbal Space Program 1.0: Preparing To Leave Beta

Let's go!

Kerbal Space Program is leaving beta with the next update.

KSP [official site] will continue to be a work-in-progress – the developers say as much – so what does leaving beta actually mean in this situation?

Well, it means that the version contained in the next update (1.0) fulfills the goals laid out in the original design document. In that sense, Kerbal Space Program will be a complete game and will graduate from the Early Access program on Steam.

At that point the developers’ agenda is going to switch to… more Kerbal. As they put it:

“We see no better way to follow up on reaching our initial goals than to continue development on Kerbal Space Program, beyond Beta, past our original plans. This means that after 1.0 is out, we will continue on with free updates 1.1, 1.2, and so on.”

There are a handful of details listed on the blog regarding what the 1.0 update is set to include so here’s what stood out to me:

Game Over – you can actually lose your job at the Space Centre if you’re careless with your funds or your reputation. As someone who has routinely smashed Kerbals into the ground this fills me with a sense of dread and career mortality.

Deep Space and Planetary Refueling – a system and parts which let you process matter from things such as asteroids in order to make helpful substances. Fuel and oxidiser are the examples given.

Female Kerbals – Female Kerbals are now part of the space program. Well. Until I send them on another one of my famous probably-almost-definitely-non-lethal missions, anyway.

1. 0positivo says:

It sure would be nice to get a proper 64 bit support

I mean, I’m grateful to KSP for forcing me to install Linux and thus allowing me to discover the wonders of it… but..
    yea..

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, as it moves to 1.0 and beyond, the most important things now are those the modders can’t fix or expand.

I really don’t get why the 64-bit Windows build should be so broken*. Abstracting away the platform is one of Unity’s selling points, and it’s even stranger that 64-bit Linux is apparently fine since that presumably means it isn’t just endianness badness somewhere in their own code.

* I’ve not tried it myself, but both FAR and DRE eschew support for it because of its problems (FAR actually deactivates itself), so I’ll take their word for it.

• daver4470 says:

Squad have been very consistent when asked about 64-bit: they say the problems relate to known and currently unfixed problems within the Unity 64-bit engine itself. Apparently — and I admit I’m a bit out of my depth here — 64-bit Unity is not just a tweaked version of the 32-bit Unity framework. It’s got significant under-the-hood differences. All of the underlying KSP code is designed within the 32-bit framework. They have been able to recode it to use the benefits of 64-bit Unity (namely the utilization of more memory) because (a) it wasn’t as difficult to kludge it up as they expected and (b) there was so much demand for it. But it’s not an optimized implementation by any stretch.

Squad has said there’s only really two paths here: either Unity patches the problems that cause the KSP engine grief, or they recode the entire engine to work around and within Unity 64. The latter is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon, unfortunately. So everyone should just hang on and hope Unity improves itself, I guess.

• LionsPhil says:

Dang.

Between that and PhysX, Unity’s being a bit of a boat anchor around this game’s. OTOH, it enabled it to get off the ground as that early, Munless prototype in the first place.

• Heavens says:

It’s kinda hit or miss with the 64bit version. I’ve tried it and didn’t have any problems until I started adding a few mods, after that it became increasingly unstable.
      I remember Squad saying that it’s Unity-related and beyond their capabilities to fix (?)

2. Matt_W says:

You’ve forgotten to mention a completely revamped aerodynamics model, which is probably the feature that most of the long-time players are most excited about. It seems there’ll be a nice UI to help with spaceplane design and just yesterday, they revealed that re-entry heating will be part of the new model.

• Jonnyuk77 says:

Re-entry heating…. RE-ENTRY HEATING!!!! WHOOOOT!!!

(just did a little foot dance under the train table)

Probably be most annoying but really looking forward to this more than I should (I know there’s mods, leave me alone).

Re-entry toot toots!

• Zenicetus says:

Re-entry heating will probably bring me back to the game, after I shelved it for the last year. Getting my Kerbals home safely (on the rare times I managed it) never felt quite right, without the chance to screw up one more thing like this.

• Cinek says:

Finally. After all this time, all this denial, and despite of few extremely loud people protesting against it on every occasion – they are actually adding reentry heat! So there is a hope for KSP after all.

3. GeorgeTheJournalist says:

Could we possibly get more of an in-depth article? This, this is just a rewritten press release. And not very well done at that, sorry Pip.

I think it would be worth to mention that some (I’m not gonna say “most”, since I haven’t done any proper research into it) prominent modders (like Ferram4, who did the FAR mod rebalancing the stock aerodynamics system) are saying it is too early for a proper 1.0 release. People were also waiting for the Unity 5 and it is doubtful if the move to the new engine (when it comes) will even happen after this 1.0 release. So, yeah, stuff like that would be nice to mention.

phuzz says:

As the devs point out every time Unity 5 comes up, it’s not out yet so there’s no way to move to it. Given how much they listen to the community I think they probably will upgrade when it is released, assuming it’s not a massive effort and there is some benefits.
      I’ve not actually seen anyone give a reason to upgrade, is there going to be some new features in Unity 5 that will be good for KSP?
      I do agree that it might make more sense to release a feature complete version as another beta, and then give it a few months of bug fixing, polish and balance before going for the 1.0 release. I just can’t can’t see how they’re going to release a new version with loads of new features that doesn’t need a bit of polish.
      That’s where early access has worked really well for them up until now, having people effectively pay to playtest the game, and provide useful feedback to the development. I don’t think KSP would be half as good if it had been developed behind closed doors.

• Detocroix says:

Unity 5 actually has a newer version of PhysX

• Cinek says:

These “some benefits” actually mean making game playayable with ships having more than 100 parts, and by this – stations being something you can use instead of something you should avoid due to crippling FPS drops.

• Cinek says:

Yea, I’m very surprised to read that they go out of beta after next release.

Is it because they’re running out of money? Cause it surely looks like that.

4. mortal_vombat says:

This is one of the rare games that has piqued my interest lately. As soon as somebody employes me again i’m definatelly buying it :)

• number2301 says:

Being unemployed sounds like the perfect time to have KSP. I’ve put 600 hours or so into the game in a year or so.

Give me an email address and I’ll gift it if you like?

• mortal_vombat says:

I wrote and rewrote this response a dzone times now, nothing i write seems quite enough so i’ll just keep it simple. That would be amazing and i’d really appreciate it. One thing being unemployed provides is ample time for hobbies and i think i’d like to devote a large portion of that time to stranding poor Kerbals in orbit. Just have to find a fine balance between KSP and job market. If you’re absolutely sure you want to do it this is my mail: //edited

and like i said i’d really appreciate it :). Thank you

• number2301 says:

Done! Have fun! And you may want to go back and edit your email out :)

EDIT – And mandatory links to help you get started –

link to youtube.com – Scott Manley, check out his tutorials if you’re struggling / not some kind of orbital mechanics god

link to forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com – A really good way to install mods. Play stock for a while until you get the hang of the mechanics, then go mod crazy :)

• mortal_vombat says:

thank you so very much. I registered, redeemed the gift and it’s downloading now and i can’t wait to start playing it. I watched a lot of KSP videos and it seems i was already subscibed to Mr. Manley’s channel but i’m under no illusion that i already know how to play it so considering that i forgot i was subscribed there i thank you for the tutorials as well, they’re sure to come useful :). May all your future endeavours be prosperous and may trouble be always a stranger to you. I’ll be sure to pay your generosity forward as soon as i’m financially able.

• richlamp says:

This was genuinely heartwarming to see. Way to be excellent to each other.

• gi_ty says:

Positively awesome! It is quite excellent to see such generosity. Thank you both for brightening my day.

• Eiv says:

Faith in humanity redeemed for another week. Thanks peeps.

• pacomatic33 says:

Agreed with others – faith restored in humanity for a few more days. Everyone take note and pass it on. There’s still good people out there…. even in the little details. Cheers, all! ~

• Matt_W says:

Very nice exchange. I’m touched. Also wanted to thank you for mentioning CKAN. I’ve been playing KSP off and on for a couple years. Like you, 100s of hours in (at least an order of magnitude more than any other game I’ve ever played.) I’ve been on a lull lately, so hadn’t seen the CKAN release. Looks quite good!

• number2301 says:

@Matt_W

Yeah, CKAN is fantastic, I stripped KSP back to stock last night, then reinstalled the 30 or so mods I usually run with ease! I do find you have to install them 5 or so at a time to avoid errors, but it’s so much easier!

• SuicideKing says:

Wow, this was so randomly wonderful and brilliant that I had to read the thread three times before it sunk in.

*hugs of joy*

• Silith321 says:

This was so sweet to read. Thank you for brightening my day! :)

• Synesthesia says:

I approve of this human exchange of goodness in the internet. Woot!

5. Somerled says:

Planetary mapping, automation, sensor/communication limitations, and procedural planetary body generation are things I really wish were in KSP.

Oh wait. There’s a very active and imaginative modding community with mods for just that and more? Oh my…

• Rindan says:

Yup. Honestly, I want them to finish up not because of the futures they are putting in; but because it will give modders a stable platform to really sink into. Everything that they are talking about is stuff that has already been “fixed” by the modding community. KSP modding community is really something special. A lot of games add new art assets, some extra bells and whistles, etc, but KSP modders make radically new gameplay. My current game has mining, colonies, space stations that actually do stuff, satellites that actually do stuff, and more. These are things you simply can’t get from the base game, they have little inclination to have, and even if they do add some of it, it will likely be a pale shadow of what the modders have already done.

And that is fine.

KSP is probably the best argument to give modders your soul. I wouldn’t have spent a fraction of the time I spent on KSP without the mods constantly breathing new life into it.

6. Didden says:

And here was me thinking Kerbal’s we’re Asexual…

• Heliocentric says:

Maybe they are, and gender is just a social choice… Kinda like Toads in Mario.

• Zenicetus says:

Or they’re sequentially hermaphroditic, like the Gethenians in Ursala K. Le Guin’s “Left Hand of Darkness.”

7. J-Force says:

It seems most of the KSP community is looking forward to 1.0 with extreme caution. The game has not had a single Beta updat since 0.90 and there is a slew of outstanding issues wiht the game. Here is a summary of what I think for the two of you who care:

1) The critics

This game will get a lot of praise and rightly so. It has contributed to a resurgence in the popularity of space exploration. It gave a few NASA eggheads some neat ideas and it means we can’t use the phrase ‘It’s not rocket science’ – because thanks to KSP I can do rocket science and its really not that hard. However it takes more than physics and some lovable aliens to woo a critic.

2) The product itself

KSP lacks victory. There is only so much achievement to be had. Once you’ve gone to the Jool system and back you are basically done. The contracts quickly become mindless busy work necessary to keep your progress afloat. The game lacks the parts for me to say ‘look at my Laythe colony! Isn’t it magnaflorious!?’ because I can’t really do that. I can’t say ‘look at my glorious space station’ because it serves no function. It is an ornament. A 2 million funds ornament – and I cannot recommend that to a friend.

It also lacks many of the physics required to call itself a physics based game about flinging kerbals. Water is either pastry or concrete (There is a great mod that fixes that btw). We will get atmospheric stuff so that will be fine. There are no colonies, no meaningful space stations, the difficulty curve is a cubic one. it is steep at the start but gets infinitly flat once you reach the point of taking off from Tylo. If you can do that you win. There is no maintenence of things either. I want to have to maintain my space staion rather than just have it sit there as a frame tanking statue. The game will punish you for an out of place control surface yet I can build a 2000 part laviathan in Minmus orbit without that having any impact whatsoever on my space program other than funding and framerate.

The game isn’t ready from a gameplay point of view IMHO. There is too little to keep me thinking.

3) The bugs

Okay. So they will probably fix some of them. They will probably introduce as many as is often the way with any update of any software. However as much as I trust SQUAD to fix some bugs, others I think they simply don’t know how. Case in point: memory leaks. Since the Big Bang the great civilisations of the galaxy have gone ‘Wow, itsn’t it great, the planets are so… hang on, I have to restart – the telescope is starting to tank’. Memory leaks are a serious problem affecting the game that SQUAD simply has not been able to crush. On the basis that the problem has never been fully resolved, just made slower, I do not think they will fix it on release. Then the x64 version. I could write a small book on why a working x64 version of any PC title is important. It needs to work.

Then the decoupler bug, something that can be worked around but still should not be there. A minor quibble, but it suggests SQUAD is not inclined to fix bugs with the urgency and efficiency that may be needed.

4) ‘Placeholder’

There are too many assets, textures and some sounds that are just placeholders. The interior of the MK1 inline cockpit – ‘placeholder’ from the part’s introduction to now. The outer planets of the Kerbol System… do not exist yet. And remain some forum posts on what the devs want to do before launch but because 1.0 needs to be out the door, that will not happen. What the devs themselves want won’t happen in their game.

Nobody in their right mind would tolerate placeholder assets and textures in a finished product. From what I have read, I will not be able to tolerate 1.0

Overall: I want to love 1.0 – I want to celebrate. But I cannot, the critics will be divided, the game will be buggy, the game will be unfinished, the x64 version will not work, the gameplay will get old quickly. Those are not the hallmarks of a product ready for release and that is why the game is not ready under the proposed 1.0, to be released as the finished product that we will judge it for.

Edit: Can I get some sort of cookie for writing something longer than the article?

• GeorgeTheJournalist says:

Nicely summed.

I hereby award you the cookie medal. You deserve it!

• Arren says:

Well-summed and free of excess fat. Grade AA cookie-stamp applied. Move along.

• AngoraFish says:

I would pay you to write for RPS.

• Matt_W says:

“The game has not had a single Beta updat [sic] since 0.90”

Which came out five weeks ago. Typical schedule for this game over the last 3 years has been an update every 2-3 months. I think 1.0 will take a bit longer since its scope is somewhat larger than any recent update, but it’s not exactly surprising that they haven’t done an update since the beta release.

“The gameplay will get old quickly”

I put in hundreds of hours before there was even a career mode. It will certainly get old quickly for some, but this is a ‘choose your own goal’ sort of game, like Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress or The Sims which, you’ll note, seem to be able to capture people’s attention despite not really having concrete goals.

• snowgim says:

Yeah the biggest problem I have with KSP is that satellites, space stations and mun(etc)bases serve no purpose whatsoever and are basically a waste of time.
      It would be pretty easy to fix that too, all you need is a science module that gives you a steady stream of science/money over time, and more of it depending on how far away it is. Maybe modders can do something with that, but it’s a shame to have to rely on modders to fix the game.

It would also be really nice to have modules that actually fold out into a proper base, and ones that generate oxygen and food for your kerbals, so you actually had something to do once you got to another planet. Maybe the ability to fabricate a vehicle assembly building and launchpad too.

And the “missions” are just really tedious from the very beginning, they were not a good addition.

• LionsPhil says:

So I take it you haven’t actually played 0.9, then.

• BrickedKeyboard says:

I haven’t played 0.9, either. I tried for about 20 minutes but found it easy to get trapped, where “the next good contract requires you to reach orbit”, “you can’t launch a rocket with enough dV for orbit from that launchpad”, “you don’t have enough money to upgrade the launchpad”. I mean, it wasn’t exactly game over, I could have done a dozen tedious chicken feed “testing” missions (which are just lame and unrealistic, I feel like these missions need to be carefully restricted to feel real instead of the RNG just spewing out whatever) and eventually moved forward.

So, anyways, what do satellites and space stations accomplish in the new build? In past builds, I have done orbital dockings, where i can’t launch a spacecraft with enough dV for an outer planet in one shot, so I launch it in 2 or more pieces and click them together in orbit. This works badly because of this game’s poorly modeled and unrealistic joint flexing system, unfortunately.

• Aninhumer says:

It is possible to get into orbit from the starting launchpad, but it is indeed quite difficult. It took me as an experienced player armed with a dV calculator mod quite a few tries to make it work, so I imagine it will be extremely difficult for new players, which isn’t ideal considering it’s almost the first challenge they’ll encounter if they choose career mode.

• LionsPhil says:

There are now missions with rewards for putting satellites and bases to particular specifications on specific orbits (or on specific planets for the latter). They pay pretty well. I’ve gone one lined up at the moment for a sun-orbiting station with no other constraints, so I’m going to try to skim it as low as heating allows.

• snowgim says:

Oh, ok. I have played 0.9, but I didn’t get any of those contracts yet.
            Still, that still seems like tedious contract work. I’d rather put satellites and bases where I want and still be rewarded for it. :(

• Cinek says:

An excellent summary and I agree with everything. I went through the game from knowing nothing to landing on Moho and sending low-sun orbit probe…. After that I felt like ther’s nothing in this game. Planets are void – there’s nothing to explore there. I can’t be bothered to go to the outter planets besides Jool because they are all the same – repeating textures in different color variations. There is nothing to see there, nothing to explore, no “wonders of solar system” every new player hopes to find. It’s just bumpy ground and the same texture repeating over and over again in different colors. Rovers? Another waste of time, lander with enough fuel to make few leaps will perform the same job hudreds of times better. Space station? Consumes time, makes FPS go down, and only thing it can deliver is fuel. Base on a planet surface? Even more waste of time for even less benefits. And so on, and so on. Once you land on another planet come back and bring an asteroid – there is nothing, void, no goals, no reason to go anywhere, no reason to build anything… It’s really sad cause this game go so much potential of giving players an end-game content, but devs don’t seem to be bothered, even if people like me would pay for an expansion pack (yes, I know about mods, I used several, and I want stuff in vanilla game).

Oh, and I’m quite sure NASA eggheads never took any idea out of KSP, while at the same time KSP grew dozens of people who think they know everything essential to know about the space flight as they made a tour through all jool moons… seeing some of this posts from KSP fans lecturing others on building rockets and probes makes me laugh cause they got no f**** clue.

• LionsPhil says:

This is a bloody stupid post.

Speak for yourself.

The game has not had a single Beta updat since 0.90

Of course it hasn’t, by definition—that was the last update, last month.

Jool is easy. Try a manned return mission to Eve. For a freeform game, there’s a lot of challenging objectives out there taunting you to complete them.

Just the most recent example I had to hand. This isn’t Lego, you don’t get a “base” part that does it for you.

God forbid it may be an achivement in and of itself. But since 0.9 stations are now mission objectives worth money and science. Even before that they were useful for science labs to clean experiments, and before that as refuelling stations.

Except the part where it gets all the broad strokes correct. Yes, it could certainly be better in a whole heap of ways. See the 1.0 release plan, FAR, DRE, etc.

If you enjoy tedium then install the life support mod that means you have to run resupply missions.

302 hours and counting. Maybe you just have trouble with the latter regardless.

They are? I run on an aging 4GB box with a heap of mods and have not hit this problem.

Then the x64 version.

See above. It’s not down to Squad.

Yes, some cockpit interiors are missing. This may be your only solid point.

It’s hardly gamebreaking.

What the devs themselves want won’t happen in their game.

…you realize this is literally the case for every software release ever, right?

Can I get some sort of cookie for writing something longer than the article?

I think we should get one for slogging through reading it.

• SuicideKing says:

Maybe you just have trouble with the latter regardless.

Could have probably done without this.

• Cinek says:

This is a bloody stupid post.

One likes a strong introduction, right? I could say the same about your post. Just a few highlights, cause I don’t feel like writing a response to every single point you raised, as it’s a waste of time, everyone knowing more of KSP can debunk it just as easily.

Speak for yourself.

Yea, you too. Truth is that in a community as such worries existed already when game went into beta version with many people considering it too early (Eg. due to missing essentials such as reentry heat which we find to be introduced at the end of alpha, but there were many other reasons than that).

Jool is easy. Try a manned return mission to Eve.

That was the second interplanetary mission I did. Easy. Jool is much more difficult because of Tylo, and an attempt of visiting all moons in one go is also by far greater challenge than Eve.

People used stations for farming science as soon as contracts were introduced. 0.9 doesn’t change a thing other than increasing these rewards. Stations in reality are still just an ornaments, they don’t have any true functional benefits nor anything to really make them a living center of exploration like the ISS is. Brutal reality of KSP is that it’s better (as in: more beneficial and quicker) to focus purely on building rockets and sending Kerbals to the moons / planets than creating an ornaments around Kerbin.

Yea, that’s the problem KSP got – this game REQUIRES mods to have any end-game content and any half-decent physics simulation (upcoming improvements to the aerodynamics and reentry heat are still to be judged, but seeing some of the posts from devs (eg. backwards compatibility) doesn’t allow for much faith in how well it’ll be done).

302 hours and counting. Maybe you just have trouble with the latter regardless.

Good for you I guess. I build space station docked to an asteroid and got ~15 FPS on a rig that can pull off every other game at 60 FPS, and after few hours FPS goes down and down until either game glitches or I reboot it myself.

Yes, some cockpit interiors are missing. This may be your only solid point.

So are the textures on several objects (they couldn’t even align SLS parts textures to fit seamlessly!), so are several objects themselves (various adapters, fuel tanks, SAS, computers, cargo bays, etc. also placeholder models: LV-1 engine being primary example of just how bad this game is sometimes), so is the lack of any objects on other planets to explore (other than occasional easter eggs and standard terrain scatter that displays props with no physics or collision models! lol), so is the atmosphere (no clouds, no winds, no proper simulation of anything… planets in their current state are enveloped in a force field with wings working as a repulsorlift engines), and so on, and so on, and so on…
        It’s hardly his “only solid point”.

From what I see – you a classic example of commitment bias.

• tjm2000 says:

So, I have been playing since .23.5 which was 6 updates ago and i’ve clocked in over 200 hours on Steam alone, so that makes this point invalid “Some people would put 100+ hours in KSP as it was in 0.13, that does not mean the game was anywhere near being ready from gameplay point of view nor anything to keep you thinking after you achieved all of the milestones from initial learning curve.”

• Joshua Northey says:

The biggest problems with the game is whiny non-appreciative people like yourself. The game is amazing, and more than worth the money people paid.

• J-Force says:

Don’t get me wrong – I love KSP and have around 130 hours in it. I loved it enough to calculate the delta-v for a round trip of the Jool system not including a Tylo landing and then I did that mission. The reason I propose the notion of a 2000 part laviathan in Minmus orbit is because I started building one. The framerate said no but I tried.

However – as you hopefully got from the post I would not be happy to sell KSP as a ‘ready for release’ product in its current state.

Take an analogy for those of you who think that because I like KSP I should therefore like 1.0:

I am a fan of cake, chocolate cake to be exact. I can eat and enjoy a plain simple chocolate sponge cake. Great. Delicious. However that cake is missing icing, sprinkles, the cocoa concentration is too low, it gets dry too quickly. The first slice still tastes delicious, but it’s not what I would call a fantastic cake.

The same goes for KSP. I hope that analogy thought up at 11pm on a Thrusday helps you understand my perspective.

Edit: You may have a cookie for reading my post

Other Edit: I realise I posted this in response to the wrong person – this is addressed to the one attempting to counter my ‘stupid’ post. Sorry for any confusion.

8. TechnicalBen says:

“Engineer’s Report – a panel which warns you of acts of stupidity in your craft design like leaving the engine out.”
    For most designs, that’s a good, clever and safe option, not stupid.
    Forgetting parachutes… batteries… solar panels… RCS thrusters but remembering the fuel… the left side landing gear… a pilot (now possible)… are all much more common, stupid and hilarious!

• Heliocentric says:

Forgetting to reflect a space planes wings, launching without noticing it only has one wing , still making it into the air and then opening the parachute over water.

9. racccoon says:

Well good luck in it. :)

10. Rufust Firefly says:

Trying to reconcile people saying KSP is going out of beta too soon with me playing it for about 3.5 years. Heck, I remember when there wasn’t even a Mun, map, or maneuver nodes.

Also of note is the revamped aerodynamic model–right now planes are annoying and useless, and you can build things that look like rockets and don’t fly, or don’t look like rockets but do fly–SQUAD wants to iron all of that out with a better model, procedural fairings, and more landing gear.

I’ve really enjoyed blowing up rockets and stranding poor Jeb on some airless rock. Looking forward to many more years of that and beyond.

11. DrManhatten says:

There is only one problem about 75% of the KSP community think this is overly rushed and there should be t least one more beta before going to v1.0 release including some really high profile modders. And I have to agree that sounds like a foolish plan by Squad.

12. Crystal Mace says:

I found the story thoughtful and well written. I’m too new to KSP to have gotten bored with any of it yet. I’m just now learning to build efficient stable boosters, and achieve efficient stable orbits. This game is a dream come true for me. It’s what I REALLY wanted to be doing all those years I flew MS Flight Simulator, and what Virgin’s Space Shuttle only whetted my appetite for. I was born five months before the Russians launched Sputnik, followed Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo, and saw Armstrong take that small step/giant leap. My heart sank as I watched my generation lose interest, and the last of the Saturn Vs reduced to little more than a garden gnome for NASA. Yes, KSP can be better. But I expect to get misty eyed every time I see sunrise through the capsule window for many years to come.

“For the Eagle has landed. Tell your children when. Time won’t drive us down to dust again.” -Leslie Fish