Victory Achieved: Petroglyph’s Army Arena Battler Reborn

I hope it's... great. Aye? Right? Yeah? Great? Great victory? Remember the Internet yeh?

Cast your mind back to the distant year of 2013, when developers Petroglyph failed to Kickstarter multiplayer arena-o-RTT-ish game Victory. The Grey Goo gang dreamed of 5-on-5 multiplayer online arena battles between combined arms armies composed and customised by players, but didn’t get anywhere near their $700,000 goal. They did, however, say several publishers had shown interest so they might get to make it after all. And so they have!

The free-to-play game now named Victory Command [official site], and now co-developed by South Korean F2P folks Neoact, has been re-revealed and opened beta signups.

Exactly what Victory has become, and how much Command differs from the original idea, is a little hazy. It’s still about five players selecting units from their collections to field an army capable of out-manoeuvring and generally smashing their opponents, without base-building or any of that. Watching the new trailer, I see terrain still plays a role, with tall grass providing some sort of cover. Weak spots, cover, height advantage, flanking, and all that were part of the original plan, requiring teams to carefully compose their armies.

Quite how its free-to-play model will work is a mystery too, and that’s a pretty big unknown.

If someone were, hypothetically, to take this as incentive to grumblyrant about MOBAs, I might claim, only semi-facetiously, that Westwood Studios (the studio Petroglyph’s founders came from) actually created the first MOBA in 1997 with multiplayer arena spin-off Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor. You’ll feel embarrassed for me as you pick apart that spurious claim, so let’s not.

Beta signups for Victory Command are on its site, and here’s the re-reveal trailer:

1. rockman29 says:

The music sounds suspiciously like classic C&C and the gameplay seems most similar to C&C than anything else I’ve seen from Petroglyph so far so I must try it :D

2. Axyl says:

Is this what End of Nations became?

EoN had so much potential, but there was so much crap that happened with that game I totally lost track. I know it was canned in one way or another, and I hear stuff about it being turned into another game. I wonder if this is that game?

Either way, F2P makes me nauseous. I think i’ll likely pass.

• Tom De Roeck says:

End Of Nations has nothing to do with Petroglyph. (Trion Worlds, the devs, seem to be ex-NCSoft)

Also, if you want to play F2P done well, try AirMech. It feels like classic DOS game “Z”, mixed with Gundam.

• RARARA says:

AirMech was actually inspired by Herzog Zwei (1989) on the Sega Genesis – one of the oldest RTS games.

• pekikuubik says:

End of Nations used to be developed by Petroglyph and published by Trion. Trion took over after years of development attempting to turn it into more of a DotA-clone. No-one liked the result and shortly thereafter it was (presumably) cancelled.

• Hensler says:

Nothing to do with End of Nations? Petroglyph were developing EoN under contract for Trion, before Trion took it in-house to finish it and ultimately cancelling it.

• Cerzi says:

Or World in Conflict, which seems to be largely forgotten despite being rather unique back in the day.

3. Hex says:

While I can see the promise in a MOBA-inspired RTT in which players control military squads — especially with a command-structure which allows a player to take the role of a commanding officer organizing the efforts of his teammates, who has access to artillery and air-strikes and reinforcements and such — this game looks dumb.

4. Moraven says:

Reminds me of a smaller and quicker battle of Shattered Galaxy. I can dig it.