Shelter 2 Trailer: Cute Not Red In Tooth And Claw

In my day snacks were seen and not heard

“Pip, I don’t want to stereotype, but a trailer titled ‘Cuteness in Shelter 2’ seems right up your street,” said Alice, stereotyping furiously.

Thing is, this is a stereo-typo because I am not there for anything cute or parental. I’m interested in Shelter 2 [official site] because I want to defeat my cubs and to see how the savage indifference of nature manifests. Further reading of this news story will contain spoilers for Shelter…

In the original Shelter I think the game was hard-coded to have an eagle swoop down and carry you off at the end while any remaining cubs scampered off like the treacherous ungrateful jackasses they were.

Shelter 2 represents a second chance. A second chance to become the sole survivor. To beat those awful children at simply staying alive. I’m bigger than them and better than them. The only thing standing in my way is that the folk over at Might and Delight. What if they’ve made it so I can’t treat my children like a mobile lunchbox? What if I need to care for them rather than offering them up as distractions to eagles or a snack? What if they make me do parenting again?

The trailer offers no real clues on this front. I mean there’s the familiar art style and a more expansive-looking play area. It looks friendly and adorable. But, as per the developer website: “The beauty of nature goes hand in hand with its unforgiving rawness. That is central in Shelter 2, and one of the reasons we chose to make a game about a Lynx. They are in middle of the food chain, and there are far more vicious things out on the cold tundra”.

There are different types of terrain and different weather too. I suppose I would probably keep the children alive as roving hot waters but THAT’S ALL. In spring it’s no more Mr Nice PipLynx.

1. magogjack says:

A modest Piposal by Jonathan Swift

2. Borodin says:

“stereotyping furiously” meaning that you use both hands? There’s no cause to show off — we would still love you if you could only monotype.

• GHudston says:

I’d imagine that it’d mean typing with two keyboards, personally.

3. Splattercakez says:

I enjoyed the original Shelter and at the request of a friend was sort of making a pseudo-Let’s Play of it via Steam screenshots which quickly went from “Adorable Badger Life Simulator” to “JESUS CHRIST BABY BADGER SURVIVAL HORROR” and ultimately accumulated in TurtleBear, Survivor of Avians being the only baby who actually made it to the end as I was swooped into the sky and fed to the baby birds at the end, much like the rest of the kids presumably had been beforehand.

I want to say I hope 2 is more fleshed out, although I’m not entirely sure how one would do so since it’s such a simple concept and I’m not entirely convinced there’s much expanding on it to be done, but at the very least the dynamic of you being a predator as well as prey should make it more interesting, I just hope it doesn’t feel too much like more of the same because Shelter resonated with me in part because it was different and I went into it not really realizing it wasn’t just going to be a cutesy walking simulator.

• Darth Grabass says:

I think the best way to improve upon it would be to up the contrast levels back to normal (which it appears they’ve done) and to make the world a bit more open and less on rails. My main gripe with Shelter was that I just felt like I was constantly being funneled through a narrow path.

4. Gap Gen says:

I wonder if you can get the Shelter eagle and the Ski Free yeti to fight.

5. FreeTom says:

Lynxes are better than badgers.