Battlefield Hardline Multiplayer Open Beta Next Week

This seems outside police procedure.

Several years ago, I had a meeting with EA and pitched Battlefield: The Thin Blue Line, an FPS adaptation of the ’90s Rowan Atkinson sitcom. [Did you now? -ed.] Players would engage in gossip, give young shoplifters stern talking-tos, and even bop a yob with their truncheon. The final mission would be to sneak a big frilly bra into DI Grim’s office during a surprise inspection from the Superintendent. Unfortunately, EA instead picked up Battlefield Hardline [official site], a quick-drawing, dirty-talking, civil rights-ignoring celebration of police militarisation. Shame. I bet it doesn’t have even one single cascade of misunderstandings with hilarious consequences.

The point is, EA are launching a short multiplayer open beta test for Hardline next week.

Running from February 3rd to February 8th through Origin, the multiplayer beta will include three modes across three maps, EA explain in a blog post. Hotwire mode sees robbers trying to nab certain cars from the level while cops try to repossess them, Conquest is ye olde Battlefielde point-capturing and spawn ticket-reducing, and Heist mode will have the baddies trying to rob a bank.

The beta is expected to be a 10-11GB download, which folks should be able to preload starting at 10am PST (6pm UK time) on February 2nd. If you have Battlefield 4, playing the beta will earn you a special Hardline tag to wear in BF4.

The full game’s due in March, after a long delay, on the 19th in North America then a few days later elsewhere.

1. Buuurr says:

Sweet! I’ve got my How to Optimize Battlefield Bugs and Glitches book along with my online resource for leading warping and poor hit detection gameplay tips ready! Can’t wait. Also – MASS.

• rcguitarist says:

It shouldn’t very buggy. After all, it is just a cops and robbers mod of BF4.

• Buuurr says:

You must smoke A LOT of weed. That or you haven’t played a BF game – ever!

2. Hairball says:

its me, im the cop with a rocket launcher

3. Anthile says:

The Thin Blue Line rather makes me think of the famous documentary, which in turn only makes me worry more about the subject matter of the game. I still don’t think it should be a thing and hold out for Battlefront instead.

4. KwisatzHaderach says:

Can’t wait for the all new Explosion Gun!

5. kevmscotland says:

Was hoping for a AAA version of SWAT 4 or Pay Day 2 with a mix of player cops and robbers.

Instead we get this rubbish! BF3/BF4 with a police skin. Sign.

6. slubberman says:

“…Introducing the grappling gun… …zip line!…” -that’s not new stuff.. BF2:SF had those

7. Cross says:

Releasing this game in the middle of a huge debate about police brutality is right up there with the idiocy of having Visceral Games develop a Battlefield game.

• scannerbarkly says:

This doesn’t make sense as there has been an ongoing debate about assorted wars for a long time now yet people keep releasing military FPS games?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

QUICK! Let’s remove from ALL FPS ever released every single weapon that has been seen on the hands of ISIS or other assorted “freedom fighters”!

Also: random line about EA and BF.

8. Lytinwheedle says:

Did the cop just bash a handcuffed black man against the roof of his car because he said a bad word @4:40 in the video?

Can’t wait to see how the American media will deal with a game in which you ‘make pigs fly’ though. Should be quite a shitstorm.

9. Spinkick says:

They really are out of ideas for the battlefield series.

Seriously, in the middle of a shitstorm where folks are questioning the militirization of our police force, we have a game where cops are basically soldiers hanging out of cop car windows blasting away at the cars they are chasing. *slow clap* Media shit storm in 3,2,1…

Anyway, I’ll let someone else beta test and pre order and I’ll wait for the first patch and the discounted price.

• Flopper says:

You think they’re legitimizing the militarization of police with this game? What if you’re on the other team? They’re OKing mass murdering an entire police precinct?

Sweet mother of god it’s a video game. Stop over analyzing shit. This is why you’re single.

• Spinkick says:

I’m mormon, i have 3 wives thank you.

and a mistress called crusader kings 2

teije says:

The Thin Blue Line is crying out for a game adaption. Not a FPS though – more a Witcher/Benny Hill RPG mashup.

I don’t think I realized just how sexually juvenile and rude the show was (and I mean this as a compliment) until I watched with my kids last year. Luckily all the innuendo just passed them by.

11. bonuswavepilot says:

I don’t think the Thin Blue Line ever made it to Australia-ville – certainly don’t remember catching it, based on that youtube link (although around the time it was on in the UK I’d have been about 17, so it is possible I was just too busy teenaging at the time)…

• Spacewalk says:

We did get it actually only it was on late on Sundays I think, which is a horrid time-slot. It should’ve been on at six on weeknights but that was taken by The Brittas Empire.

12. Perkelnik says:

Is the guy on the picture jumping off the bike or what?
    Because this is not how you position yourself on a bike in a curve. Not that BF fans would care, I guess.

• iainl says:

Presumably so, though the picture makes it more like he doesn’t have a right leg at all, and is in the process of falling off.

13. Talbot says:

Battlefield has long lost its charm – that went after 2142 (the best of the series). Now it’s just chaotic mess akin to CoD.

14. Hebrind says:

If I could buy the story component of this only for half price, that’d be magic. I love cop games. Couldn’t care less about the homogenized multiplayer experience we’ve all come to expect from the franchise, but I do quite like the look of the campaign, I’m a sucker for crime action/drama.