LEGO Duo: Avengers & Jurassic World Announced

No, I know. This is from 2013's LEGO Marvel Super Heroes.

The simultaneous announcement of two new LEGO games makes me suddenly pained that they don’t let you mix-and-match parts from different games in the way one can with real LEGO [possibly the only capitalised brand name I’ll respect -ed.]. Obviously I’ll want to take the Black Widow from LEGO Marvel’s Avengers over into LEGO Jurassic World to zap raptors with her Widow’s Sting, and yes I absolutely would like to whack Loki with an ankylosaurus’s clubbed tail. Alas, the two games are separate for, one imagines, innumerable legal and technical reasons.

To celebrate this announcement, loads of LEGO games are on sale on Steam too.

Arriving on Windows in June (Mac versions often follow a little later), LEGO Jurassic World will actually span all four films. I am quite keen to see TT Games take on “Clever girl…” and other comic moments with their pleasing silliness. As someone with a real interest in hacking the planet, my wildest dream is “This is a Unix system!” Cross your fingers for me, chums.

As for LEGO Marvel’s Avengers, publisher Warner Bros. say it features “characters and storylines from the blockbuster film The Avengers and the much anticipated sequel Avengers: Age of Ultron and more”. It’s due this autumn. Presumably they’re working within the Marvel movie universe and its spin-off TV shows, as 2013’s LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (which is where that screenshot up top is from) covered the comics side more. Still, a little Nextwave wouldn’t hurt.

I’m dreaming of what I’d like to see in these games but, honestly, I haven’t played a LEGO game in ages. It’s not that they became bad, but they became too same-y for me. That’s fine. They’re celebrations of particular worlds and characters, and they simply hit a streak I wasn’t that interested in. Marvel might tempt me back, though. How are they nowadays? What was the last you played?

1. gwathdring says:

I want to believe they’ll finally fix the underlying issues with these games rather than skating by on [a near limitless supply of] sheer charm. I’m cautiously hopeful. One of these days, surely! :)

• brulleks says:

What issues do they still suffer from?

I’ve only played the first Star Wars games, and found them unbearably glitchy, particularly the awful 1990s-esque flimsy front-end, and my savegame frequently corrupting, but have been tempted to try the LOTR one in the hope that vast strides have been made since then. If they still feel as if they’ve been Blue-Petered together then I’ll pass.

• drinniol says:

Get the Marvel one, fer gawds sake!

• Artiforg says:

They’re chock full of bugs. Bugs that cause the level you’ve spent the last half hour on to be quit and restarted. The LEGO movie one is probably the worst of the bunch in this regard, there’s a level where you have to jump across cars and trucks as they speed down the road; Get a jump wrong and fall to your death only to respawn out of view only to fall to your death – again and again and again. It’s not just limited to one of the jumps either, it seems to affect all of them. 2 player mode has terrible camera issues where at times the camera just can’t move any further out so one or both players end up off screen – this can also lead to times where you’ve got no idea how to progress as the camera won’t show something that you need to do!

• Jalan says:

Having played LEGO Batman 2 on the Wii, I have to say that a lot of bugs you outline seem like a picnic in the park compared the issues the game had on that console. It had a tendency to get so bogged down that it caused the entire console to freeze, forcing a hard reset every single time. This only became worse each time co-op was even thought about.

Their insistence on split-screen for co-op is also a source of frustration. Obviously the nature of most of the games allows each player to roam as they please, but outside of the huge hub(s), they should stick to a single screen format.

• iainl says:

As drinniol says, the Marvel one really is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else they’ve done.

• kevmscotland says:

I’d finally like some online coop too please!

2. Rolento says:

As others have said Lego Marvel, with its open sandbox city to mess around in outside of the missions, is miles better than the majority of the other Lego game – the new Batman included.

3. Spacewalk says:

I’m dreaming about major changes to the formula so it’s not almost exactly the same as the last dozen Lego games.

4. Scurra says:

Whilst I largely agree that they passed the point of diminishing returns a little while ago, I also have to admit that I laughed all the way through Batman 3, which surprised me, given that you’d think they’d have done all the possible jokes already. I’m not even resenting that they have managed to get me to buy some DLC as well, since it’s been well done.
    I am moderately surprised that they are trying a Jurassic Park game; it doesn’t seem to have anything like the iconic nature of the other franchises they have embraced (beyond the title), and certainly lacks obvious character potential. But who knows?

5. Bull0 says:

Someone tell me if Lego LOTR is any good? It’s been on my Steam wishlist forever, because I read (on here I think) that it was quite good and the juxtaposition of serious dialogue with cute lego faces was funny.

• hellboy says:

I’ve played a bunch of the Lego games with my daughter, and the LOTR one is my second favorite behind Marvel Superheroes. It’s probably the funniest one of the lot for the reason you mention. Well worth grabbing!

6. Optimaximal says:

Someone also needs to get some official word when the last Hobbit chapter is going to be delivered…

• Orix says:

Agreed. After seeing the last movie… they really oughta do this. The first two chapters were pretty beefy. I wonder if they would do this as DLC, doubt it would be a free upgrade.

• Jalan says:

The initial speculation was that the concluding chapter was going to be DLC but it was just that, speculation. At this point, I think it’s a safe assumption to make that they’ll be doing similar to what they did with the Clone Wars section of LEGO Star Wars and just release it as a separate title. When though, is the big question.

7. peterako1989 says:

with lego marvel superheros out, I think lego avengers might feel redundant :/ Tey must try really hard to make it worthwhile.

8. Jalan says:

LEGO Jeff Goldblum and LEGO Sam Neill… I need a pinch, because this must be a dream.

Also, LEGO Marvel had more than a few television-centric characters and their accompanying voice actors.

9. Rufust Firefly says:

The LEGO Marvel game is my favorite of the lot, if only because they are free to avoid barriers set up by the stupid movie rights problems. Spider-Man can hang out with Thor, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four, plus they have characters you’d never expect to see in a game like Squirrel Girl.

Plus in the Marvel game, you learn that Black Panther has a cat that dresses up like Captain America. This is vital stuff!

10. tamccullough says:

Lego Batman 2 and Marvel Superheroes have been the most fun for me and my 6 yr old son. Well worth the $10 CDN for both. Open worlds where you can mess around for quite some time.

DLC for MS was apparently crap.

DLC for LB3 not so bad.

But I’d wait to pay $5 or less for LB3, LoTR or Lego Movie Game. Not as good as the other 2,