Pulp Your Own Milk: Minecraft Mod Adds Vegan Options

This is what you'll craft with, eat, and sleep on.

‘Indie milk’, I called it. In search of the tastiest dairy alternative during a vegan spell a while back, I gulped the diluted pulp of rice, coconut, almond, hazelnut, oat, hemp, and more – even soy, because hey, it might be pretty much mainstream by now but only a jerk thinks they’re too good for pop milk. I like the idea of new Minecraft mod The Vegan Option, adding crafting alternatives free of animal products for everything from dye to armour, but as an indie milk aficionado I had to know: what is the drink it calls ‘plant milk’?

Pumpkin milk. You make your own pumpkin milk from seeds. Damn, that’s pretty hardcore.

The Vegan Option adds new ways to craft things that would usually involve animal parts, using new parts and new recipes. Rather than fertilising with bone meal, for example, you can make your own compost then add a dash of saltpeter. If you want to cook a recipe using egg, you can make an egg substitute by mashing a potato with a piston to get potato starch or beating apples to make apple sauce. A straw bed is itchy, and that hurts a little, but it doesn’t use wool. And burlap armour made with plant fibres is an alternative to leather armour.

Here, the readme details the list of new materials and recipes, along with a fine selection of links explaining quite what they are. I had not known before where burlap comes from; now I know all about retting. You can still biff cows to turn into cool leather jackets if you want, as this mod simply adds alternatives; I still wore a leather jacket because I’m cool.

I like this answer from creator ‘squeek502’ as to the why:

In-game veganism is simply a playstyle that I prefer, in that I think survival games offer a unique way to explore vegan ethics that the real world doesn’t provide. For example, attempting to adhere to veganism within Minecraft leads to weird/interesting questions like, “Is it really self-defense to kill a mob if I’m semi-responsible for mobs being able to spawn at all?”. It can also encourage non-standard behavior like building a weapon that does the least amount of damage possible.

Of course, one must wonder about the nutritional value of the diet this mod offers. A little quinoa would be a great start to add more protein, perhaps some more nuts, and we can’t forget the wonder crops of flax and hemp! The first release was only a few days ago, mind.

Download links and complimentary mod suggestions are in its Minecraft Forum thread.

I never did try pumpkin milk, but have enjoyed a mystifying pumpkin seed ‘cheese’ on vegan pizza.

1. Geebs says:

You realise you’re eating that pumpkin’s children?

• pepperfez says:

No, it’s drinking the pumpkin’s reproductive matter. So, uh…

• Geebs says:

I’m no botanist, but I’m pretty sure you’re wrong there.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

The pumpkin itself is essentially the reproductive organ, while the vine is the actual organism. So essentially you’ve torn out the womb, rendered the fetuses into a liquid, and consumed them.

You monster.

2. Wowbagger says:

Minecraft hipster addition, is there a hyper meat eater mod on the way as well? crafting from nothing but bones and meat?

3. Barberetti says:

When will the horrific slaughter of innocent plants end?!

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

That one just gets funnier with age, doesn’t it? The decades haven’t blunted its brilliance one bit.

4. Kefren says:

That’s interesting to me (disclaimer: a biased vegan). I tend to be put off games where progress might depend on killing animals. I kept reading that Far Cry 3 and 4 have elements of this, to the point where you can’t just buy a bigger bag off someone (even though they sell weapons, and presumably would have no trouble sourcing a bag); instead you have to kill and skin an animal and hand-craft it yourself – what kind of weird world is that? Does the protagonist have a needlework skill and carry a sewing machine in his backpack (which was made from testicles)? Though in that case it was actually the double-DRM that put em off buying the games on Steam.

Still, my favourite games are ones that offer multiple ways to play: the Fallouts, System Shocks and Deus Exs of this world. Mods which give extra options without taking any away help to push games towards those worlds of options. Then each player can play the way they want to, in the scenario they feel like playing, with the character they feel like controlling.

Having said that, I recently gave away my Minecraft account! I loved the early iterations but once they added the extreme hunger feature I just didn’t enjoy it any more (I would wander round a bit, my health would drop to one heart, then I’d die from the teeniest scrape; the game switched from exploration and building with a bit of survival, to constantly scrambling for food.

• Wowbagger says:

I find all this quite fascinating, as I would rarely seek to fulfil my real life moral codes in a computer game. Interesting to worry about slaughtering animals for a new bag when killing multitudes of hired goons is the end result.

• schlusenbach says:

If something is really important to you in real life, you might want to follow the same mindset in games. When I stopped drinking alcohol, my RPG characters became sober too. This may be a bit silly and I was surprised that I felt that way, but I didn’t want to drink anymore and that included games.

• Kefren says:

Makes sense to me. It’s nice when games let you choose. A world where we all played in exactly the same way would be boring! The kind of tales you’d write about your adventures in a game, and the decisions you made, would be interestingly different from the next person’s.

• Fnord73 says:

Wowbagger:
        Nah, not really. We all have our level for suspension of disbelief. There are some things in computergames that I can feel myself triggering on, like the torturescene in GTA 5. I just clicked through that, choosing the electricity every time to get it over with. For some folk its violence against animals.

• Kefren says:

I’m not 100% consistent about it, or able to put all my reactions into words. Generally I don’t play real-world war games, or games where it is all-out killing. Yet I’ll still do some things in games I wouldn’t do in real life. It depends on loads of factors such as the presentation, the ability to choose, how invested I am in the game and its world and characters. I think that’s why I prefer games that offer a lot of choice. Even if you have no issue with the things in the game it still offers you more then, since you can replay the game with a new type of character and its (often self-imposed) restrictions. Some of my most memorable games are like this. The difference from playing Fallout as a high-intelligence celibate scientist who was _trying_ to avoid confrontation and violence (but was partial to booze) was a world away from my super-strong but dim fist fighter who would do anything for the poor but became downright sadistic when it came to killing slavers.

• All is Well says:

I don’t think it’s so odd either, but then I’m also a biased vegan. A lot of it has to do with how you do the killing, as in why and in what context. There’s almost always some justification for killing people, no matter how flimsy. And most of the time, humans/humanoids are trying to kill you. The choice to kill them is less troubling.

I tend to feel a bit bothered by situations where you kill people for no good reason whatsoever, and if given the choice I tend to avoid those. And I don’t feel as guilty for killing animals that attack you. It’s more the idea that you’re killing animals for no good reason that’s, coupled with the idea that “animals are resources” (or, in Kantian terms, “means”).

• DrollRemark says:

And yet, games are often keen to paint the player-character into a “kill-or-be-killed” situation, so that you’re not just seen as slaughtering innocent people. Look at the reaction to Hatred, or read John’s (I think?) dislike for the opening of Medal of Honour Warfighter in his review for how people feel when you take away the justification for their actions.

• Necrourgist says:

Well…honestly? I personally think that humans are worth less than even one animal when it comes to “Kill it or Leave it”, ‘specially in games, because, again honestly and imho; Humans are too far spread, they are contagious in a way, they are the worst animal on this planet, they have ruined sooo *much* and they are kinda everywhere so humans must be worth less than a single special animal, yes? Because if it comes in a high quantity, the individual value must not be all too great? Don’t look at me like that, Doctors dunno why i think that way :> !

• Frosty840 says:

Far Cry 3 and 4 do have a particular set of tasks that focus on the fairly indiscriminate slaughter of animals for every single carry upgrade (increased ammo, grenades, drugs, even the ability to carry more weapons than a pistol in FC4).
      I think FC3 handles it a little bit better in that your character takes a few more seconds to skin an animal, and is audibly distressed by doing so (though that wears pretty thin after the fiftieth time; you’d think he’d get used to it), whereas FC4 just has you happily tearing the wrapping off the local animals with not so much as a whimper, but both do feature both:
      Upgrades requiring you to hunt harmless animals who can’t ever be turned aggressive.
      Ludicrously psychotic “aggressive” animals who will mindlessly attack anything and anyone that gets close to them (any kinds of wild dogs, cats or rhinos, as well as the local eagle population), who also (as far as I could tell) can randomly spawn in nearby areas out of your line of sight, so you can’t even realistically avoid them.
      So, yeah, definitely not a vegan-friendly game.

• Kefren says:

Many thanks, worth knowing. There are so many games to play, it is nice when I can remove some from my watchlist (and save money), and spend more times on the ones I really like.

basilisk says:

This is just not true. The protagonist of FC4 makes a very audible noise of disgust when he butchers/skins animals. Maybe not every single time (I didn’t pay that much attention to it), but he does it.

• Barberetti says:

You shouldn’t even need to buy a bag. There’s enough clothing from the dead guys to make all the bags you want.

5. aleander says:

There musi be an internet rule somewhere., that whenever someone mentions not consuming animals, there will be at least three people commenting that they do. Down with that rule.

• Catchcart says:

Down indeed. But up with the expressions ‘to consume animals’. I know you’ve been inside but what were you in for? Animal consumer, animal consumer, animal consumer…

• Wowbagger says:

Is there a rule about people not being able to count as well? If you were inferring that my comment was of that nature you are mistaken. I was being rather more flippant about the nature of such (to me) niche modifications.

6. Ejia says:

The idea of hazelnut milk sounds both wonderful and terrifying. ultimately I’d settle for eating the hazelnuts.

• Alice O'Connor says:

It’s really good! A delightful nutty hint that improves everything from cereal to coffee (if you’re a milky coffee MONSTER). I’ve started eating dairy again a bit but still get almond milk because it’s just plain nicer.

• All is Well says:

Soy milk is also excellent in coffee, it has this kind of hint of sweetness and flavour that goes really well with it. Almond milk is the only one I’d drink straight up in a glass though.

• DrollRemark says:

No milk is best in coffee.

(Sorry)

• badmothergamer says:

Have to second the almond milk recommendation. My wife is vegan (which makes me a part-time vegan) so I’ve tried just about everything. Almond milk is not only good enough to drink straight but compared to soy, rice, etc., it’s the only one I actually prefer to dairy milk.

• pepperfez says:

I tried cashew milk for the first time this week and it’s the absolute best. Top vegan milk in deliciousness.

7. Necrourgist says:

Being a vegan myself, i find these kind of mods to be good but they also may contribute to the general opinion that Vegans and Vegetarians are special snowflakes :)

• Kefren says:

Argh, now I’m melting! ;-)

I know what you mean though. Ideally the games would include the freedom to play emergently, however you want, without mods. Wouldn’t be such an issue then. No-one would know that my JC Denton was a tempeh-munching cyborg.

• Necrourgist says:

Tempeh *-* I am excited for Cyberpunk 2077and i wonder if it will touch the matter of food and world-wide food supply, seing as vegan and vegetarian diets are becoming both “mainstream”/”accepted” and are true alternatives for mass supply over meat(s) and traditional grain(s).

8. Baf says:

My first question about this was “What about ender pearls?”
    Ender pearls are necessary for reaching the endgame, and the normal way to get them is by mugging endermen. And let’s be clear: endermen will not attack you unless you behave aggressively toward them (where extended eye contact counts as aggression). The need to attack them without provocation just because you want their stuff always bothered me a little.

Anyway, yeah, there’s a vegan ender pearl alternative here.

Of course, the endgame itself can’t be passed without killing the dragon. But maybe they’ll put in an alternative for that at some point too — throw gold at it until it’s satisfied and flies away, or something.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

If they add the possibility of becoming best buds with the dragon and hanging out in its lair I will download this mod with no further questions.

• Barberetti says:

I think you can trade ender pearls from certain villagers now, although I’m not 100% on that.

• squeek502 says:

A Dragon Egg alternative or alternate method of obtaining a Dragon Egg is planned, but I don’t have many concrete ideas for what it’ll entail yet. If you’d like, you can weigh in here: link to github.com

9. myhouse says:

Why use this over pams harvest? Which you can use soy for in everything that contain meat or dairy. And has been out for much longer and has quite a bit more content.

• squeek502 says:

Veganism extends beyond diet. HarvestCraft is a recommended companion mod, though.

10. squeek502 says:

Mod author here. Appreciate the write up; enjoyed reading it. I really wasn’t sure what the reaction would be to this mod, but have been very pleasantly surprised so far.

One small note: Plant Milk can actually be crafted using a variety of sources if other mods are installed (for example, with HarvestCraft, you can make it from coconut, soy, oat, rice, any type of nut, etc). Pumpkin seeds are just the only plant milk source in vanilla Minecraft, and one of my goals with the mod is try to work as much as possible with what Minecraft has by default. Also, I’ve never had pumpkin seed milk in real life, and agree that it seems pretty hardcore.