The RPS Bargain Bucket: Darkest Dungeon of Discounts

Does anyone here T-Rex when they sleep? Because I do. And that stinks when you sleep on your wrist and wake up with this lingering ache. PTSD seems an inevitable future for all people who work with their hands but goshdarnit, the twinges stink, anyway. Wait for my fifties please, cartilage! This week’s crop feels slightly “meh,” especially since Gamersgate had unfortunate pricing accidents a few days ago. (Which was guiltily good.) P.S: I am currently obsessed with Darkest Dungeon. It rocks.

The Big Stuff:

Nothing terribly not-obvious this week. But, I do recommend dropping by Bundle Stars to check out their RPG Maker discounts. They’ve got a number of resource packs going for cheap. Additionally, it looks like GreenManGaming is aiming to revisit the turbulent months of 2014 with a series of sales dedicated to last year’s best. As of the time of writing, I see Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Evil Within, and Civilization: Beyond Earth marked down. They’re all 24 hour deals, unfortunately. Which means writing about them would only be an exercise in sad.

Devolver Bundle
$13.75/£9.05/€12.18
You don’t have to buy all of the games, it’s just way more cost-effective to do so. Over at GOG.com, Devolver Digital has a sweet deal going. Not only do they have titles like Shadow Warrior and Serious Sam on sale, they’ve also got a smattering of movies, all of which are suspiciously well-populated with hipster beards. The natural state of the Internet, I suppose. Alas. Moving on.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
$12.85/£8.99/€11.39
Pretty, but people tell me there are jump scares. Jump scares are bad. The last time someone jump-scared me in real life, I jump-punched them in the nose. Jump scaring is an awful thing for me. I – what was I saying? Oh, right. So, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is an adventure game that will have you inching perplexedly through this glorious-looking world. You play as a detective with paranormal abilities and it’s your task to figure out why the eponymous Ethan Carter vanished. It’s an excellent game, all said and done. We certainly thought so, at least.

Shadows of the Vatican: Act 1
Free!
Little is more enticing to a bargain hunter with a blue bucket than a game that is absolutely free. While I can’t say I am particularly enticed by its look, it seems interesting enough. It’s an adaptation of a book by David Yallop, with art direction from a Marvel veteran. The story itself involves an ex-priest who finds himself needing to investigate a missing briefcase and the Vatican’s involvement in some traumatic memories. A bit cliched? Perhaps. But it’s oh-so-free.

Topware Bundle
$7.32/£4.86/€6.49
More discounts? Lord, you guys are insatiable. Okay, fine. Have at it. You wanted more discounts? Here. More discounts. TopWare’s an interesting critter in part because opinions about their games often seem quite divided. Some adore ’em in spite of their issues, others abhore them. (Granted, you could say that about just about anyone.) Personally, I have an unreasonable fondness for it because they are at least tangentially involved with Septerra Core, my first proper exposure to RPGs as a kid. Also, 90% off is nice. (Here’s hoping this is not German-only.)

Tropico 4 Collector’s Bundle
$4.99/£3.99/€5.35
Are you a good dictator, a great dictator, or a tyranically awesome one? Tropico 4 wants to know. This massive bundle contains the Tropico 4: Steam Special Edition along with an extravangant (11) amount of DLCs. How awesome this offer is is, of course, dependent on how much you value the idea of messing around with DLCs. But Tropico 4 is widely regarded as a competent romp. If you’re in the mood for games of such nature, why not give this one a shot?

Also of note:

1C Strategy Collection – >$9.87/£7.50/€8.75
Don’t fancy playing a third-world dictator? That’s okay. 1C has your fantasy needs covered. Several iterations of King’s Bounty are included in this package along with the questionably named Fantasy Wars and the more imaginatively labeled Reign: Conflict of Nations.

Groupees Be Mine 17 – $4/£2.65/€3.54
I’d get this for Cinders alone. It’s a taut little visual novel with lush graphics and a surprisingly entertaining tale. Nothing that might necessarily win awards, but certainly worthwhile to nab. Included is the amusing Deepest Dungeons of Doom and slightly more hmm-inducing offerings like Sinking Island. It has a music album entitled: Cats Never Die. If nothing else, this Groupees collection is good to felines.

[Apologies for the late post – come home Graham we miss you, and sometimes forget the responsibilities we picked up while you were away.]

1. GameCat says:

Wish I could do that to people adding jumpscares in games and movies. Stop destroying my beloved genre. :(

2. Melody says:

Confused as to what “To T-Rex when you sleep” meant, I looked up “t-rex” on Urban Dictionary.

Nope.
    Just, don’t make my same mistake.

Then I used a search engine for “T-rex when you sleep” and among other things, this came up.

I’m confused now. Still don’t know what that means.

• LTK says:

I’m as confused as you are.

• TechnicalBen says:

2 Possibilities. “Roar” as in snore? “Went up the old apple and pears to get some Bo-Beep, and I T-Rexed like a…” wait, that does not work.

So must be option 2, to “flail your arms around like they are tiny little T-Rex arms”?

• shaydeeadi says:

I think she is talking about sleeping on your side with your hand under your face… I do similar myself and; although unfamiliar with the the term I am familiar with the ailment.

• April March says:

Just to clarify, Melody’s mistake was ‘searching something on Urban Dictionary’. You have all been warned.

• TWChristine says:

Ahh..the only place I know where to get information on the things people say these days (and makes me feel quite old). There’s been a few times lately I’ve come across things where the definition as I know it has apparently changed over time, because people are using it in a completely different way (or spelling it differently). Kind of neat in a way I guess to see the change in words.

• bonuswavepilot says:

I assumed it meant sleeping with your hands up in front of you like paws or t-rex arms… Also, ‘abhor’ ain’t got no ‘e’.

• yan spaceman says:

This really happened… I slept with my head rested on my arm with my face looking down my arm to my hand. The blood flow must’ve been impeded. When I woke up my arm and hand were totally numb and in that second while you come around, first thought was there is a severed arm on my pillow. I yelled out loud in terror.

• therighttoarmbears says:

I assume it means sleeping with arms up, flexed at the wrists, which us know to worsen carpal tunnel syndrome. Or perhaps stomp around eating smaller beings while dreaming. Dealer’s choice

3. Shazbut says:

Am I right in thinking The Vanishing of Ethan Carter only saves when you solve a puzzle? If you don’t solve it before you have to go and do something else, you are cursed to spend ten minutes with your finger on W walking to the puzzle the next time.

Seems they spent a lot of money on all those graphics and can’t justify charging much for a game that would otherwise be a couple of hours max

• huwlynes says:

Yes, it only saves after you’ve completed a puzzle. I felt like the lack of fast-travel added to the atmosphere and sense of immersion, and most of the travel distances are short. Plus, this is a game where you really do want to spend your time just looking at your surroundings.

That being said if you make it to the final scene there is a sort of fast-travel facility to let you go back and finish anything you missed. I’m trying to be vague here because this is a game I honestly believe deserves as little spoiling as possible.

Although I could have done without the jump-scare section entirely. It didn’t make that much sense to me either mechanicaly or thematically.

I bought the game at release for full price and didn’t regret it, but your mileage may vary.

4. meepmeep says:

Ethan Carter only has one jump scare, so if you detest them as much as I do, you can look it up on youtube first and numb its effect, or learn how to complete that section without triggering it.

It’s the weakest part of an otherwise excellent game of must-play artistic design.

5. ProApocalyptic says:

That out-of-nowhere hostility towards beards in the description of the Devolver sale is a little weird.

• Jalan says:

Beard Rights Activists everywhere, rise up and revolt.

• TWChristine says:

I’ve read it about five times now and I don’t see how it comes across as “hostile”..

• ProApocalyptic says:

It’s the “alas”

but yeah, looking back, my reaction speaks more to my beard insecurity than it does anything else.

6. malkav11 says:

If you find yourself in any way tempted by purportedly extensively mediocre brawler Ryse: Son of Rome in its capacity as one of Steam’s weekend deals, you might try Gamestop first. They have it as a Steam key for $10 to Steam’s $20. link to gamestop.com

7. sinister agent says:

Despite it’s atrocious name, Fantasy Wars is a great strategy game. Essentially a turn-based, hexatious version of Warcraft/Starcraft, right down to the campaign structure.I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

• cpt_freakout says:

Very late to the party, but if you dig that you might dig the ‘sequel’, which is called Elven Legacy. Personally I loved those games because they reminded me of Fantasy General, the Panzer General-with-dragons game of the mid-90’s. There’s also a relatively new one published by Slitherine called Hell, which is sort of the same thing but with a HOMM feeling/setting.

8. Wowbagger says:

I’m also rather in love with Darkest Dungeon, it is turning out to be everything I hoped it would be. Punishingly difficult at times though.