Face-Breaking News: Condemned’s Possible Indie Future

BIFF!

What if publishers and rightsholders were more willing to experiment with unused or squandered series, taking chances on handing them to new developers? Square Enix have thought about opening some older Eidos series to third-party developers through their weird crowdfunding Collective thing, I know folks have agitated for Sega to stop making horrible Sonic games and give someone not-awful a chance, and now the chap who owns first-person puncher Condemned is musing about handing the homeless-hammering simulator over to an indie team.

Former Monolith CEO, and current Condemned owner, Jace Hall mentioned the idea in a Facebook post, saying he was often asked if a third game was coming.

“Since I am focused on other things, and will be for quite some time, this franchise is just sitting there.

“I am contemplating finding an interested and proven Indie development team AND PROVIDING IT TO THEM, so that they can take over the franchise and move it forward.

“As an indie, it can be very hard to get marketing/media attention for a title that you work on. This franchise is already quite known, has market demand, and is in an innovative genre/category.

“Should I explore this idea further? What say you all?”

It’s a curious proposition for indie studios. If you want to make a game about punching homeless men in the face and becoming a shouty wizard, you can do that right now anyway. It wouldn’t be a Condemned game, though, and wouldn’t benefit from the recognition that comes with that. However, you would own whatever you created outright. I suppose it’d come down to just how much they like Condemned and want to see it continue.

I’d be quite pleased with more Condemned, but I’m certainly up for other, Brand X games about hitting men in the face with pipes. Either way, really. As long as I get to hammer faces.

1. golem09 says:

How about first handing Condemned 2 to an indie team to port to PC?

• lowprices says:

They could possibly also rework the game to make it not-rubbish, while they’re at it. You aren’t missing a great deal by only having played the first one.

• Bluestormzion says:

Seriously. Condemned 2 was SUCH a disappointment. Though I am usually loathe to discard a main character, how about we open Condemned 3 by showing us that Condemned 2 was Ethan going on an insane killing spree, thinking that everything in the game was real but he was actually just flipped the hell out committing crimes.

• Haborym says:

Yes please.

2. RobF says:

I wonder if he’d be open to the idea of it becoming a top down fish with lasers simulator?

• FuriKuri says:

As much as I enjoyed the rest of the game, the utterly ludicrous nature of Condemned 2’s ending would make even that continuation not feel far fetched.

• ElVaquero says:

You must be thinking of Early Access game “Cod Damned”

3. caff says:

Condemned was the first game to really scare the crap out of me.

4. Mechorpheus says:

Ok, there’s only one studio for this IP. Red Barrels (the dudes behind Outlast). They’d do a stunning job with it.

• Razumen says:

Eww no thank you. we want a SCARY game about hitting homeless people in the face with pipes, not a tedious one where we continually have to hide from their bare, unclothed bodies.

5. ZIGS says:

Two words Jace: ACE Team. They even have experience with the Jupiter engine for crying out loud!

• eclipse mattaru says:

Exactly what I thought when I found out about this (y) Something of a no-brainer, if you ask me.

At any rate, it’s always good to know there’s someone else out on the internets making the comments one would’ve made.

6. HOMELESSFACESMASH says:

Condemned 2 was awesome if you didn’t take it seriously. Me and my friends played through it together with the idea that Ethan was just on a jaeger and pain killer induced bender the entire time. Throwing swords and axes at homeless men in the museum level was pure gold. And yelling at people ferociously was absolutely hilarious after downing a bottle of whiskey (both in game and out of game). The guns killed the fun a bit, till we learned we could just throw that shit back at the homeless people. The level in the cabin with the bear was hilarious/scary/suspenseful all at the same time. If you haven’t played the game, PLAY IT with a friend or two for the fun of beating the shit out of junkies with a poky 2X4. I personally would love to see a third as long as it doesn’t take itself too seriously and gives me plenty of homeless men to beat.

7. Velko says:

“What if publishers and rightsholders were more willing to experiment with unused or squandered series, taking chances on handing them to new developers?”

See: Paradox and their 3rd-party titles that were built using various older Paradox games as a basis. I don’t remember every detail, but was it something like three games cancelled mid-development (Magna Mundi as the foremost disaster), a bunch of poor quality games that were basically glorified mods and were hastily abandoned after launch, and maybe one semi-successful title (Arsenal of Democracy)? IIRC when the Paradox management was asked about the future of these endeavours, the answer was basically “never again”.

The combination of inexperienced modders-turned-developers and niche strategy games didn’t make great business cases.

Extremely amusing to watch the disasters unfold, though (this sort of disaster tourism is a guilty pleasure of mine).

8. Fenix says:

Oh man, Condemned: Criminal Origins was such a good game. It was very flawed, yes, but brilliant as well. I don’t think I have ever disagreed as hard on an RPS opinion on a game (John Walker).

Never played 2 as I don’t console but would really love to play something like it sometimes.