Build A Warship: Psycho Starship Rampage Alpha Demo

A PSYCHO STARSHIP I guess

Do you like games where you build and customise a spaceship then use it to blow up other spaceships? Psycho Starship Rampage [official site] is one of those games. Creators Ballistic Frogs call it a “a tactical space shooter with rogue-like mechanisms”, but you can see for yourself by downloading and playing the free alpha demo available now.

Psycho Starship Rampage sees a sentient warship AI waking up deep in space after years of slumber, and fighting to return to central command. Ships you blast can be scavenged, then bolted onto yourself with a fancy ship editor. That’s the core of the campaign, obviously, but it also has local multiplayer so folks can test ship designs against each other, or all use the same ship to see who’s the best pilot. Sounds good, that.

Ballistic Frogs make clear the game’s still relatively far from release, waiting on loads more equipment and weapons, more varied levels, and new music and sound. That’s why they’ve released a demo – to gather feedback.

It comes as a plain old standalone for 64-bit Windows, or a Java version that works on Mac and Linux too.

Psyco Starship is due later this year, and expected to cost £9.99. It’s trying to crack Steam Greenlight too.

1. DizzyCriminal says:

It looks like a horizontal scrolling Tyrian. Cool.
    I’m surprised there haven’t been more Tyrian-likes, it seems perfect fit for touchscreen tablets.

• Optimaximal says:

On a related note, if you haven’t played Tyrian, you really should.

GOG.com have it for free too! link to gog.com

• Kaeoschassis says:

As far as I know, nothing’s ever really outdone Tyrian in its subgenre. About the only thing that’s even really tried is Jets n Guns, but even that doesn’t quite hit the mark, even if you do get along with its humour.
        Don’t get me wrong, I can’t ever get enough bullet hell, but a few more good Tyrian-likes would definitely not go amiss.
        Hopefully this is a good sign.

2. SpinalJack says:

Looks just like this: link to wtfrontier.com
    Except without direct crew control.

• Caller says:

Or ability to turn the ship, or open world universe, or dynamic lights and completely different visual presentation and kinda different genre they are pretty much look alike :D

3. haowan says:

A good idea. I’ve long thought about a shooter where you gradually katamari your ship by hoovering up the bits of your destroyed enemies. Looks like they haven’t quite got the scale of katamari here but still looks fun.

4. frymaster says:

A bit off topic, but I’m sad that the term “roguelike-like”, coined by the developers of FTL, never took off.

5. FunkyFrog says:

Greetings !
    I’m one of the developers ! Big thanks Alice for your article !
    If you don’t have Java, there is a standalone version for Windows x64. It doesn’t need any Java installed on your system.
    Standalone builds will also be made for Linux and Mac as soon as possible.

@SpinalJack : wtfrontier looks like an interesting game, but Psycho Starship Rampage will be more action oriented. Like old school arcade shooters.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Logged in to complain about the java requirement and, oh look! I dare say I’ll be checking this little gem out tonight, sounds right up my street.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Ah! Thanks, I’d missed that.

6. westim says:

Hrmm… Looks a lot like Reassembly.